• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS sells 113,000 units in UK launch weekend (303,000 in Europe total)

Spiegel

snap0212 said:
More numbers (from Nintendo):

303,000 units were sold in Europe (first three days).
50,000 in Germany (first two days).

Edited the OP, thanks.

Now if some mod can change the title...

Wazzim

Banned
snap0212 said:

Now that's disappointing, Especially when the DS sold ~150million.

Give it a couple years. It looks too much like a DS and doesn't have a Mario game out yet.

None of the kiddos I know are upgrading. But when they do, look out, because it's going to be like the DS again. It's simply a matter of time.

Well, I suppose that's what launching at a relatively high price, outside of the holiday season and without a killer app will do for you. Will be interesting to see how things progress once more people start to get their hands on the system, show it off to friends etc. and once the big games start to arrive, but it's going to be little more of a difficult birth than many were expecting.

[Nintex]

Nintendo had a target of 4 million before the end of March right?

US+Japan won't count for 3.7 million units. I'd say the 3DS will be at 1.5 - 2 million at best.

ZoddGutts

More than enough bomba's to nuke the entire world. Anyways Sony really has a good chance here to steal the handheld market from Nintendo but they'll likely screw it up anyways.

gregor7777 said:
Give it a couple years. It looks too much like a DS and doesn't have a Mario game out yet.

None of the kiddos I know are upgrading. But when they do, look out, because it's going to be like the DS again. It's simply a matter of time.

Depends on how well NGP is received and how good the games are. That's the problem for Nintendo, they have squandered their early release with a combination of poor software, poor marketing and a bad name.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nintendo should look for Ad agencies that do lots of work on radio ads, they know how to market a product with features you cannot show in the ad.

Wazzim said:

In its first weekend? In Europe alone? ;-)

Any launch total is going to look pathetic in comparison to the current DS userbase, but it's a daft number to drag in here - comparisons to other console launches are more appropriate, hence the DSi, Wii, PSP and PS3 sales.

snap0212

Wazzim said:
Nintendo's press release also says there was never a handheld selling better in the same amount of time...

Prine

Banned
Theres been little hype for the machine outside of those that want one. I guess these numbers are alright in light of that.

JABEE

[Nintex] said:

US+Japan won't count for 3.7 million units. I'd say the 3DS will be at 1.5 - 2 million at best.
If those were the expectations this isn't a good launch.

[Nintex] said:

Well 303k sold in Europe (what definition of Europe, I'm not sure), we know Japan is 792k sold. What was the latest US estimate?

zomgbbqftw said:
Depends on how well NGP is received and how good the games are. That's the problem for Nintendo, they have squandered their early release with a combination of poor software, poor marketing and a bad name.

I'm sure I'm going to get roasted for this comment but whatever.

The PSP/NGP is too high-tech looking for parents of kids 4-8 or so. Our DSs take a royal beating. So do my neices/nephews' systems. They get shit beat.

It will never see the types of numbers the kid-friendly Nintendo handhelds get. Also, see: Mario. It's got a Mario game? It's kid friendly.

Sony knows this and the PSP/NGP gets aimed at a different demographic. But the DS not only gets that demo, but it gets the little kids too.

It's an unfair battle for the #1 spot, but I think Sony is well aware of this. There's certainly still profit to be made.

snap0212 said:
Nintendo's press release also says there was never a handheld selling better in the same amount of time...

Could be correct depending on what the PSP did over two days as opposed to four.

[Nintex]

JABEE said:
If those were the expectations this isn't a good launch.
1.5 million shipped to Japan. 2.5 million for the US/EU combined but details are sketchy.

Nintendo is gearing up to launch the much anticipated 3DS portable on February 26 in Japan, and the company said it will ship 1.5 million units through March (the end of its fiscal year) in Japan, and a total of 4 million worldwide.
Still they shipped 4 million worldwide so there's a lot of unsold 3DS's sitting in warehouses right now. I'm not sure if Nintendo expected to sell all of those within 4-5 days but the sales are low compared to the shipment.

BowieZ said:
k, now advertise it
You have to be shitting me. This has to be the most advertised console ever, at least here in the UK. Endless TV ads, loads of in-store Nintendo rep promotions, bus-stop adverts, the fucking works.

JABEE

gregor7777 said:
I'm sure I'm going to get roasted for this comment but whatever.

The PSP/NGP is too high-tech looking for parents of kids 4-8 or so. Our DSs take a royal beating. So do my neices/nephews' systems. They get shit beat.

It will never see the types of numbers the kid-friendly Nintendo handhelds get. Also, see: Mario. It's got a Mario game? It's kid friendly.

Sony knows this and the PSP/NGP gets aimed at a different demographic. But the DS not only gets that demo, but it gets the little kids too.

It's an unfair battle for the #1 spot, but I think Sony is well aware of this. There's certainly still profit to be made.
If the battery life isn't good on this, do you think little kids taking this on the go will have issues. In order for the system toget beat up, you probably need to take it out of the house. With 3 hours battery life, this seems to present a problem. I think these sales have more to do with a combination of iPad 2 launching, weird marketing, and a name that doesn't differentiate itself from the previous renovations of the DS than battery life.

FoneBone

Buncha Chicken Littles, but I can't really call that terribly impressive. I don't think it'll matter much come the holidays, though.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
zomgbbqftw said:

Isn't this what happened with the original DS launch? Lackluster titles available at launch, pundits saying that PSP was gonna blow it out of the water, etc.

Effect

snap0212 said:

These numbers seem good to me. This is why I can't tell if if people are being serious or using sarcasm with the "bomba" comments. Remember we are talking non-holiday here. Were people expecting 500K to 1-million plus in the first night or something?

ymmv

Banned
[Nintex] said:
1.5 million shipped to Japan. 2.5 million for the US/EU combined but details are sketchy.

Still they shipped 4 million worldwide so there's a lot of unsold 3DS's sitting in warehouses right now. I'm not sure if Nintendo expected to sell all of those within 4-5 days but the sales are low compared to the shipment.

It's clear there won't be a year long shortage like we saw with the Wii. If you want a 3DS, just walk into any shop and you'll find a whole stack of them. In contrast, if you want an iPad 2, you're out of luck. Completely sold out all over Europe.

Effect said:
These numbers seem good to me. This is why I can't tell if if people are being serious or using sarcasm with the "bomba" comments. Remember we are talking non-holiday here. Were people expecting 500K to 1-million plus in the first night or something?

Well, you'd expect at least a bit more enthusiasm for the successor of the world's most popular handheld console. My guess was that the 3DS would be very hard to get when it arrived in stores, but that's absolutely not the case.

Paracelsus

Galvanise_ said:
Its doing okay.

Once the big games start hitting and the price comes down, it'll fare a lot better.

Sorry, gaf told me I have to wait until 2014 at least for a pricecut.

Shiloa

gregor7777 said:
This is something I've always thought. PSP gets slammed for it's 'failure' but in reality while it is #2 compared to the DS, it has still sold in the region of 60-70 million. PSP was always aimed at a different audience and the fact that Sony have essentially repeated the general PSP design for the NGP is evidence that Sony don't intend on battling on the DS's home territory. There's of course a middle ground, teens are the clashing point.

The market is big enough for two.

richiek said:
Isn't this what happened with the original DS launch? Lackluster titles available at launch, pundits saying that PSP was gonna blow it out of the water, etc.

Pretty much. IIRC, it sold reasonably well for while, then dropped off into fairly low figures in most (all?) territories (and even had at least one early price cut, I think). Then Nintendo came out swinging with games like Nintendogs, Brain Training etc. etc. and the system rocketed off.

Now, there's no guarantee that the same will happen with the 3DS - for one thing, it will remain relatively pricey for a while, I'd expect - but it is worth waiting until May (eShop etc.) and E3 to see what the roadmap is like for the rest of the year, and to keep in mind how good Nintendo are at bringing novel experiences that resonate.

Rough start? Yes, probably given their expectations. DOA? Not by a long shot.

Xun

At the ridiculous price I must admit I want to see Nintendo fail, but those seem like quite solid numbers.

knitoe

Although I have always thought it would be sold out at launched, the price is way to high, probably by $100, for their main target audience and would hurt it longterm.

Top Bottom