• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 5 Announced - 2012 - [Up 7: Make A New E3 Thread Please]

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

Big One said:
It isn't Ivy's daughter I just said I hope she looks something like this. It's an unused design for a seemingly young Ivy for SCIV.
Thanks for ruining my dreams!!! :mad:

Well, there's always the possibility of Maxi's son...so the dream lives on!!!! <3!

The new art for Seigfried and Patroclus have me... interested. Then again, SCIV had designs that were either GREAT or TERRIBAD.

Also, I dig that design for Ivy's replacement, if there is one.

NeonZ

Kimosabae said:
I was honestly hoping they'd save it for next gen. It looks like Soulcalibur 4 :(

Most of that was just Soul Calibur 4 footage. And I don't mean only the models. They added the crystal effect and the new Soul Edge teaser at the end, but everything else was taken from SC4's cutscenes.

Remember when the Calibur series gave off a sense of inspired art, score and leading technology like no other?

*sniff*

Soul Calibur 4 still looks really good though... Mortal Kombat has better backgrounds, but that's it as far as fighting games go.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
holy shit the new art looks awesome, especially Siegfried :O :O :O

*reminds self to pick up SCIV*

Also, so happy Siegfried still has a massive sword.

Skilletor said:
SC4 looks fucking amazing. Better than T6 (console) by far. Never seen T6 arcade in person so can't comment.
SC4 looks way better probably because it's technically newer than T6 (2008 vs 2007). The image quality is especially phenomenal on the 360 version of SC4 too due to some resolution magic, IIRC.

I really hope the character customization mode returns for this one. I had hours of fun with that thing in SCIV. They could add a whole lot of awesome features to it, and possibly let us use whatever weapon we want with whatever combat style, but that might be tricky.

Kimosabae

Banned
While I like SC4's art design and animation more than anything else on the market, it looks dated, IMO. It always came across as a higher rez version of SC3.

jett said:
So much for revamped character roster. 17 years later...Siegfried looks exactly the same.
I'm shocked people took the 17 years thing seriously. That would require a radical redesign of every single character at the very least.

Mike G.E.D. said:
Im so sick of japanese character design.
I bet Japanese characters don't care much for your design either, ever think about that?!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Mike G.E.D. said:
Im so sick of japanese character design.

As opposed to American character design, where everyone is either a bald space marine or a 30 year old stubbled white man with Nolan North's face, voice, and artfully tousled black/brown hair?

Roto13

Neuromancer said:
I'm shocked people took the 17 years thing seriously. That would require a radical redesign of every single character at the very least.
What, of course it's going to take place a long time after IV. Patroklos was only born slightly before Soul Calibur 1.

And Siegfried looks much older in that character art than he did before.

Kaijima said:
As opposed to American character design, where everyone is either a bald space marine or a 30 year old stubbled white man with Nolan North's face, voice, and artfully tousled black/brown hair?

Don't forget big, chunky armor with huge guns!

And by guns I mean both types!

Kimosabae

Banned
Seigfried clearly looks older. 17 years worth of aging going by that pic is debatable, IMO.

Soul Team's art is the only anime art I truly love. It's got that overt attention to detail that gives it a western appeal.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I like the new art. I just hope they tone down the boobs on the female characters. A jokey character like Ivy is fine, but when everybody's boobs swell to ridiculous levels between installments it just gets creepy.

sleepykyo

_dementia said:
I love Capcom, but what? How exactly have they stepped up their game?

They actually started putting out fighting games again. And they weren't as awful Capcom Fighting Jam or some thrown together game like Street Fighter Collection CE or whatever the heck that was.

Outside of that I clicked on the yoda/vader reveal thread. The first 3 pages might as well be gaf obituary, the psn outage has claimed many an account.

Dahbomb

One thing I am hoping for is awesome SC music.

Fuck even the menu for SC4 had epic music. SC as a series has some of the best music in FG history.

As far as Guest characters go....

It's...it's... LU BU!(Dynasty Warriors)
LuBuRender1.png

Guy already fits is Soul Calibur..

Dizzy-4U

That Patroklo guy kinda looks like the bad guy from Valkyria Chronicles. I like his design.

Freshmaker said:
Then go play MK where the ninjas tastefully wear paintball gear and Liu Kang looks like a potato.
I lol'd so hard.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Kimosabae said:
hahahaha wtf?
They kinda mauled his character model and then made him into a humorless prick so the effect is even stronger.

Oh, forgot... Creative western character design = All women in thongs and bikini tops.

Erigu

BrokenEchelon said:
I really hope the character customization mode returns for this one.
They said it was still in.

Roto13 said:
What, of course it's going to take place a long time after IV. Patroklos was only born slightly before Soul Calibur 1.
I believe he was born in-between SoulCalibur and SoulCalibur II, actually.
And yeah, they said it was set 17 years later (but Siegfried should be 40, then, not 39! what is this travesty?).

sleepykyo

Freshmaker said:
They kinda mauled his character model and then made him into a humorless prick so the effect is even stronger.

Oh, forgot... Creative western character design = All women in thongs and bikini tops.

I thought Liu Kang came across as one of the better designs.

Kimosabae

Banned
Kang definitely looks funky in that game - model, attacks, stance and all.

Bring back Soul Edge's cinematic and ironic endings.

Squire

Banned
Let me do the math for you!

Amy: 14 > 31

Astaroth 7 > 24

Cassandra 21 > 38

Cervantes 55 > 72

Ivy 32 > 49

Kilik 23 > 40

Lizardman 36 > 53

Maxi 28 > 45

Mitsurugi 29 > 46

Nightmare
SoulCalibur Wiki said:
Existed since ancient times as Soul Edge

Raphael 32 > 49

Rock 42 > 59

Seong-Mina 23 > 40

Setsuka 24 > 41

Siegfried 23 > 40

Sophitia 25 > 42

Taki 29 > 46

Talim 15 > 32

Tira 17 > 34

Voldo 50 > 67

Xianghua 20 > 37

Yoshimitsu... has no age?

Yun-Seong 18 > 35

Zasalamel
SoulCalibur Wiki said:
Unable to determine due to his ability to reincarnate.

Notes:
  • All ages taken from Soul Calibur IV/Broken Destiny.
  • Most of the characters have exact birthdates, so their actual ages in the game may give or take a year.
  • In terms of real world history, at the time anything over 40 was definitely considered old. By modern standards though, most of the characters are still relatively young. The game is of course partly grounded in fantasy, so we really have no way of knowing which line of thinking they're on.
Yay! Xianghua's not even 40! :D

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully it's better than 4 which was a decent game but expected more. It's also one of the few fighting franchises I actually like so I'm pumped. :)

Neiteio

Roto13 said:
None of that is canon. They just stick some random excuse in guest characters' profiles and never speak of it again.
It was part of the timeline you could view in SCIV. But even if the guests weren't canon, it's still a case of awful, make-up-as-you-go-along fan fiction. Just enjoy the cool characters and don't worry about story. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom