• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

Unity2012

Gabe from Penny Arcade did a quick write up about why he thinks Amalur is better than Skyrim.

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/01/27/amalur

Great read. I agree 100% and have not even played the full game but the demo, about a dozen times. I've found new things and more details with every play. I can only imagine what the whole game will offer.

The talent behind this game is amazing: Thank you.

I hope the gaming community comes to celebrate their efforts.

I cannot wait to play the full game.

Sothpaw

Have you guys tried "Mark of Flame" from the Sorcery tree yet? Awesome spell and very fun to use.

Have tried the demo three times now (once stealth, once heavy melee and once mage) and found new stuff every time.

Really love how the camera zooms out in combat, gives me the feeling of a jrpg but I'm in full control of everything and can see all the enemies. The creatures and enemys are interesting in a good way and cant wait to see what else is in this world. The sound effects and atmosphere are excellent and makes me want to explore the world. Day 1

Wallach

Have you guys tried "Mark of Flame" from the Sorcery tree yet? Awesome spell and very fun to use.

Have tried the demo three times now (once stealth, once heavy melee and once mage) and have found new stuff every time.

Yeah, it's pretty boss. You can hurt guys that aren't marked if they are close enough to detonated marks too, so the staff vortex -> flame combo is deadly.

Rokal

Curt - You seem like a passionate guy and I'm really looking forward to seeing Copernicus. I hope you guys will be the first company to really evolve core MMO gameplay while keeping the quality as high as players have come to expect. If Reckoning is any indication, you might be on the path to do just that. Thanks for posting and being honest. I wasn't in love with the default difficulty or the early combat depth in the demo, but I'll give the full game a shot next week.

samjaza

I got it on steam for $60 as soon as it appeared because most games here go up to $90 soon after appearing on steam.
Bit unfortunate that the pre-order stuff for steam is TF2 hats.

KingK

Finally had the time to play the demo. I was very pleasantly surprised. I had never heard of this game before this thread popped up, but it really is a lot of fun. I don't have the money to spend buying day one, but I'll most likely either get it for a birthday present in April or pick it up myself in the summer.

Well, I'd like to play the demo, but when I get to where I assume is supposed to be a town there is nothing and a lot of invisible walls.

Oh well, I'm already set on buying this game.

If the full game is really:
40-50 hours (main quest line play) to 2-300 hours (for completionist)
I'm in! 40+ hours for the main quest would be awesome. I spent 60 hours in Deus Ex HR so these types of games last a while for me.

gehrig38

I think it's like dodge and roll, depending on your path you get to add DOT''s and AOE's to it as you progress, fire, poison, ice etc.

Ketch

Played through the demo once. I like it.

Anyone else feel like the field of view is weird or the camera is just too low or something? Something about it made me feel like I cannot see what I want to see.

But that's pretty nit picky... It's still a lot of fun, I'll probably pre-order on steam soon.

Also, I thought there was gonna be co-op.

Anyone else feel like the field of view is weird or the camera is just too low or something? Something about it made me feel like I cannot see what I want to see.

But that's pretty nit picky... It's still a lot of fun, I'll probably pre-order on steam soon.

Funny, I feel the same way.

Khezu

Yes, the camera is too low and constantly resets its position when you move it, so you always tend to stare at the floor.

It seems like there is going to be a patch, either day 1 or later to remove the auto reset so you can see things instead of the grass.

Hawk269

I get it, that's ok. We come from two separate worlds, I love something you never could, and hate the very thing you love.

Hey Curt...I know this is a Reckoning thread, but when will we be hearing more about your MMO youve been working on?

BTW...Just pre-ordered your game. I liked the demo, hated the LOD issues and the bugs, but reading your posts on the official forums, reading your posts here confirmed to me that you guys take the community serious, you respond and interact with the community and the only way to support companies that do this is to purchase the products you make. As long as you guys continue to listen to the community, provide updates to the games you make, you will have a pretty big fanbase.

Thanks!

Malo

Banned
I get it, that's ok. We come from two separate worlds, I love something you never could, and hate the very thing you love.
Honestly you're cool dude and your game is pretty good.

Also I'll back up what cajole said and invite you to MLB-Gaf.

I heard you also stomped that thing he loved once or twice, confirm/deny?
My heart after 2001 and 2004 :(

2004 has been erased from my memory

As Curt says about Yankees fans, "If they don't like you, you're doing something right."
Haha

Pretty much.

gehrig38

Couple of things I've already talked with and about in other places like FoH and our Reckoning forums.

1) "Derivative" Yes, and no. There was a review awhile back that spent most of the article labeling the things in our game 'taken' from other games. Loot = Diablo, Combat = GoW etc., it numbered them. The review ended up at like 14 games (can't find the review anywhere right now) but then went on to the point I try to make to anyone not already bleeding from the ears as I talk about the game.

They stated that ya, we did steal from many, but the difference was that we didn't skim the surface, we took that feature we loved and we added our personal touch and craft to it to make it ours, over and over. That's where I believe we did this so different. We're not the first company to take great gameplay and incorporate it, but I think we're one of the first in this genre, with this type of game, to do it so widely AND deeply in a way that in the end, makes this game it's own.

2) Jumping. For the folks in here that are in game dev you know this to be true. Jumping, the addition or subtraction of it has IMMENSE consequences on a few things. The first and biggest to me is world building, like climbing, swimming, etc, every one of those has huge implications on how you construct your world. I promise you had we included user desired jumping we'd have NOT had 130+ hand crafted dungeons, no shot. The other is our combat, if you could jump, we'd have to turn it off or completely change how our combat system works. We wanted a hand crafted very different combat RPG, and jumping would have only made our goal harder to achieve. You can disagree with the decision, but that's the main reasons we made it.

3) Multi-Player. MP is it's own game, period. It's an ENORMOUS undertaking in what was or is an already enormous job. Ask the ME guys. BHG was already 3+ years into the engine dev when we rolled up, MP was never an option.

4) Mod tools- We ABSOLUTELY want players to mod, but we made our own engine, our own tools, our own everything on the tech side. I have very little knowledge of the details but after hearing players early on comment about their desire to see and want them I went to Ian and to Joe and Mike to ask and talk about them. It's not a 'we don't feel like it' reason, it's actually a crap ton of reasons not the least of which manpower and resources, both dollars and time, are now invested in DLC and RPG2 and other Amalur related projects. If there is ever a chance to have it done and done right by us for Reckoning I promise we will try, if a player or players do it, awesome.

There's more, but for now, again, thanks to everyone in this thread, good posts and negative posts, for giving a shit, it matters BIG TIME to us that you do.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hmm: Kingdoms of Amalur or SSX? And 360 or PS3? These are the questions.

Are there any known differences between the console versions yet?

Ahh this sucks. I feel like I can't say anything negative about the game with Curt here. Mainly because he ended the curse of the Bambino. I know he and the other players think the curse thing was stupid, but it was all too real (and admittedly stupid) to us Red Sox fans.

But seriously thanks for the input and thanks for sending Joe and Ken on tour. I've enjoyed listening to and watching them on various podcasts. Mostly I'm just excited to swap the controller back and forth with my wife as we play your game.

ironcreed

Banned
They stated that ya, we did steal from many, but the difference was that we didn't skim the surface, we took that feature we loved and we added our personal touch and craft to it to make it ours, over and over. That's where I believe we did this so different. We're not the first company to take great gameplay and incorporate it, but I think we're one of the first in this genre, with this type of game, to do it so widely AND deeply in a way that in the end, makes this game it's own.

This is exactly my impression of the game. It has time proven mechanics that have been improved upon, while also adding it's own elements to tie it all in. The end result being a game that very much has it's own character, as well as it's own vibe. Beyond that, everything just gels together and feels great in a gorgeous and magical world that you never want to leave.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Couple of things I've already talked with and about in other places like FoH and our Reckoning forums.

*snip*

3) Multi-Player. MP is it's own game, period. It's an ENORMOUS undertaking in what was or is an already enormous job. Ask the ME guys. BHG was already 3+ years into the engine dev when we rolled up, MP was never an option.

*snip*

Understandable. But just a question... How hard would it have been to have an option of turning on the floating avatars like Fable2/3? I didn't like the actual multiplayer in those games (where the person would join you in your world), but I did like seeing the glowing heads. And the proximity voice chat was pretty damned funny at times. It was kind of like a mini mmo. It would give a sense of comradery as I saw a floating avatar run around the same arena I was in as we both fought the same boss in our own worlds.

Sylonious

If Curt is still here I'd like to hear a bit more about that DLC since you brought it up.

How does it connect the world of Amalur to the MMO?

Based off of comments from IGN and Penny Arcade I think it is going to get good reviews. I loved the buggy demo so I am already in.

I really didn't like that Penny Arcade article. He goes on Twitter and says "It's better than Skyrim." (knowing that will get a lot of attention) But when you read the write up it's pretty obvious that he didn't like Skyrim all that much. He says he stopped playing it because he didn't find anything all that interesting.

He doesn't seem like my kind of RPG fan so I'm not going to be holding my breath for his review.

The IGN reviewer, on the other hand, seems worth listening to. I pre-ordered it because of his enthusiasm.

Khezu

Understandable. But just a question... How hard would it have been to have an option of turning on the floating avatars like Fable2/3? I didn't like the actual multiplayer in those games (where the person would join you in your world), but I did like seeing the glowing heads. And the proximity voice chat was pretty damned funny at times. It was kind of like a mini mmo. It would give a sense of comradery as I saw a floating avatar run around the same arena I was in as we both fought the same boss in our own worlds.

Wait what? I beat fable 2 twice and don't remember any of this, sounds like some dark souls shit.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Wait what? I beat fable 2 twice and don't remember any of this, sounds like some dark souls shit.

It was a floating glowing orb and it would have your gamer picture showing. At the launch of Fable 2, towns were crazy with them! However, I loved it when I was on a small trail fighting my way up to a tower (or something) for a questline, and I would see just a single orb beside me doing the same thing.

edit: I forget, did you have to turn that on in the settings? As a side note, it was hilarious when MS screwed up and provided the full download of Fable 2 (instead of episodic) for a bit. That game was quite active again!

ironcreed

Banned
It was a floating glowing orb and it would have your gamer picture showing. At the launch of Fable 2, towns were crazy with them! However, I loved it when I was on a small trail fighting my way up to a tower (or something) for a questline, and I would see just a single orb beside me doing the same thing.

That kind of shit would ruin the immersion and personal nature of the story here, in my opinion. It is simply a single player experience with the focus being on YOU, the gamer... and that is how I like it. This game represents the direction I wanted Fable to go in.

inky

It's great reading from Curt in this thread. I always got the impression that he was such an avid gamer from the first interviews and reveals and it was what first made me interested in Amalur, and his philosophy being: "well I like this and this and this from these games, so I am going to make one that has all of that" is what clicked with me. Everything in VGs is derivative nowadays, but this game really seems to have found its own identity with well thought out mechanics.

Also, I don't mind the no jumping and can see how it can break stuff for the game designers, especially when they aren't really going for much verticality on their environmental design. Other than a couple of ledges near rivers I never felt it was necessary and I'd rather have the cool combat system than the jumping tbh. Both if there is a point to having both, but baby steps.

As long as you are reading this just wanted to say: keep up the good work guys, this game is going to be quality. The best devs out there are the ones who engage the community and have a direct line to them all the time (and also, support their products through constant content :p) so you are on the right track.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
That kind of shit would ruin the immersion and personal nature of the story here, in my opinion. It is simply a single player experience with the focus being on YOU, the gamer... and that is how I like it. This game represents the direction I wanted Fable to go in.

Which is why I said option. You could always turn it on/off in Fable.

Riggs

Banned
Wow did not even know Curt was in here. I feel like I cannot say anything negative either with him in here hah.

Big Redsox fan so I owe him allegiance anyway

Remember talking to him once in Everquest back in the day on Povar. Was so suprised he /tell'd me back I was like 14 haha. Bet my Troll warrior could of beat your Iskar monk in a dual!!

Will honestly give this game a shot though, what turned me off the most was the clunky inventory system. I kind of dug the graphics and color pallet was great.

ironcreed

Banned
Which is why I said option. You could always turn it on/off in Fable.

I hear you. I was basically just saying that I don't think it would fit in with what this game is, and is why he said that multiplayer was never even an option. They just put all of their resources into making a single player role playing experience.

Loxley

Curt - a but LTTP but welcome to GAF :)

As an avid WoW player I enjoyed your brief stint as co-host of The Instance with Scott Johnson a few years back, you seemed to have a really good understanding what makes a great RPG. Listening you and Scott discuss how Blizzard got it right eased any concerns I otherwise may have had going into Reckoning. I was actually probably more confident I was going to enjoy it than most demos I play where I simply enter with vague optimism.

I think I'm on my sixth play-through of the demo at this point....experimenting with different class hybrids and such, still having a great time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hey Curt I was wondering just so I can plan in advance. When Universalist says it unlocks all weapon masteries does that mean it maxes them out? *it's what I figure it does*

Top Bottom