• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

Bad7667

So I got caught stealing something and when the guard talked to me I resisted arrest and ended up killing a lot of guards. Is there any way to get back to them liking me again? I cant enter the first town without the entire town attacking.

Also when you steal something does someone have to see you steal it to get caught or do you get caught regardless?

So you guys are all planning out your builds (as we all used to do with Diablo!) But since you can re-spec, do you ever consider just playing and "letting it fly"?
That's actually exactly how I'm going to go about it, despite having created a bunch of these builds myself. Playing around with all the potential ideas is fun in and of itself, but when I'm actually playing, I prefer to just go with what feels right at the moment. I mean, in the end, building an effective character isn't as important as having one I just enjoy playing.

I liked the demo in general, but does anyone know a 'fix' to the following?
  • Lag between pressing wasd keys and the character starting to move.
  • UI scaling at 1080p, e.g. text fields allmost overlapping or big bars with rather tiny text.
  • Also camera and pop-in issues, but others mentioned that already

In a partnership there is a lot of give and take, and I believe in my team, they are world class, but when you have a publisher there are things happening you'd rather not choose. Shipping old code out 3 months prior to gold master to a 3rd party with no stake in the demo success can be problematic. I am sure they made the best demo they could but as a studio packed to the gills with gamers, we refuse to believe code has to be unplayably buggy at launch, it doesn't.

I had the same experience working on ESPN Baseball back in the PS2/Xbox days. In order to have the demo out before the release, we had to basically release the previous year's game with just a few additions. Of course, the demo didn't actually come out until months later, after testing/bug fixing, magazine lead times (we shipped it on a disc with print mags), etc. It took up a bunch of time that could have been spent on real development and started a narrative on forums and among press that the game wasn't different enough from previous years, even though it had the most additions and improvements of any entry into the series to that point. But these days, it's all about visibility, and to get it, you have to have a demo or be making a sequel to an established series.

I've seen you in EQ2 (Unrest), the OOTP forums, and a few other places, and I gotta say you are a pretty intense guy and passionate about what you do. Good to see that a few years of hardcore game development, all the stupid crap, long development cycles, inevitable disappointments, and probably some days when you look at your bank account and wonder what the hell you got yourself into, haven't dimmed that.

As far as the game goes...it looks like something I'd get into. I met the combat designer and some other BHG guys at GDC last year and enjoyed talking with them. I'm sur ehtat the game is bound to have some rough spots as a new IP, but it's also doing a lot of things that I've been waiting futilely on Bethesda to do since Morrowind.

I said no to linking my gamer tag to origin for the demo and now I want to but it won't bring the option up.. Do you guy have any ideas?

Lain

I said no to linking my gamer tag to origin for the demo and now I want to but it won't bring the option up.. Do you guy have any ideas?

Every time you start up the demo again, it should ask you if you want to log into Origin. No idea why that wouldn't happen, didn't have that problem with the demo.

Top Bottom