• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Holy crap.

Welcome to GAF, Curt. :)

GAF is a maelstrom of opinion and of widely divergent game taste, but the one thing you'll always get from us is honesty, and hopefully some decent feedback.

My roommate and I adored the demo and are really excited to get the full game on PC on the 7th. There are people on the fence, and people who are hating on the game, but can you blame them? It's so easy to tear down a creation when you don't have the creators staring you in the face.

Good on you for being up front and out there. Too many devs post PR speak, and I think Gaf members in general are rather jaded about video games.

Keep doing what you're doing. When Reckoning hits shelves and more people get the final code in their hands, you'll get honest feedback from us.

(Btw, does it make me a stalker that I knew it was you purely by the name "gehrig38"?)

whoa whoa whoa!

Kurt schilling on GAF? who is he!?

Man, been on this forum since 2005 and still surprises me the celebrities who show up around here.

gehrig38.

theDeeDubs

Refreshing non-bs

As a long time lurker on the FoH boards and someone who spent way too much time in Everquest myself, you've been cool in my book for quite a while now. It's nice to hear straight talk for once. Hope you don't get into too much trouble from the PR guys over it :). From the various interviews and podcasts of late, you guys are just gushing with passion for this game. That should always be rewarded. You earned a sale out of me today and hopefully many more.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to come here and share your thoughts Curt, it really means a lot. That post alone has pushed me from the top of the fence firmly into the Day 1 purchase camp. I already liked what I saw from the demo and was planning on buying the game at some point but this kind of involvement and passion is enough to secure my purchase a little bit sooner.

bluemax

Banned
Couple things about me up front. I have thick skin. 10 years in Philly and the last 7 in Boston, I'm a big boy, I've heard most everything. I have a 12 year old son with Autism, the word retard offends me, deeply. I'm married to an insanely beautiful woman (so far over my ski's it's embarrassing) and have 3 other kids, 16, 14 and 9. The boys (3 of them) are gamers, oldest is a hard core gamer/athlete (like dad) and a ranked SC2 player.

I was a gamer LONG before I owned a game company, just like I was a fan long before i played in the big leagues. I so desperately WANT to post as a gamer and fan, but understand it just isn't going to happen.

For that my PR and Marketing folks have each other on speed dial, and sweat constantly...

I've lived my life being very open and very honest, and that's been as good as it has been bad. It's usually pretty easy to tell where I stand.

The thing that has changed over these past few years is that when I post in forums like this, FoH, Tribal Wars, our Reckoning forums, is that I represent over 400 people and their families, and that's a pretty huge deal.

Generally people that post the real bad stuff about me are Democrats and Yankee fans, and that's cool, I get it. But you Yankee fans, keep hating, that's cool, I understand. Please don't come here and post 'You" have 27 or 28 rings or whatever, unless your Derek Jeter because YOU have none, I have 3, I was honored to play with 3 very special groups of men and be a part of 3 World Championships, and that made some folks mad...

:)

I keed. In all seriousness this forum, this very place, like FoH and the others, is where 38 Studios becomes the next great gaming company, or not. Everything we become is literally 100% dependent on you. You'll either love our stuff and want it bad enough to buy it at full price (pre orders and week 1 sales are EVERYTHING to a company like ours) or you won't, but there will be no BS here.

We're a studio of 400 hard core gamers who want to make awesome games we want to play, for gamers. That's our secret sauce, that's the thing we MUST hold onto as long as we can. When that stops i'll likely walk away.

It's why, even though it's painful, reading the good WITH the bad is essential. If you don't listen to players you stop making games players want to play, and that sucks.

It's also why I have finally come to grips with the fact that in a forum like this one post can start "Art sucks, hate it, derivative..." to "Amazing art, the world is vibrant and alive!" and both can be right. It's 100% subjective. Even though I watched this world come alive and I have seen the personal sacrifice hundreds of people have made over hundreds of thousands of hours, some people aren't going to like it.

What I can assure you is there was and never will be one short step, or short cut, to ANYTHING we do or make. People that bought our CE and SE are going to realize that even more, as both are way beyond anything, quality wise, I've ever purchased.

Quality trumps all, saying that after the demo may sound hollow and you might call BS on me and us for it, but I promise you where we control 100% of the work we will set a bar that will be insanely challenging to meet, and continue meeting it as long as we're around.

So again, thanks for this, this thread took up my entire flight out, 6 hours and 11 minutes, but it was worth it because we're prepping for a new sort of 'Opening day" and threads like this don't pop up for games people aren't interested in. It's the same thing I told young players walking into Yankee Stadium, be good enough to get boo'd because Yankee fans are highly intelligent, they don't boo players that suck.

I'm sure we'll be chatting more, just wanted to say thanks and we hope you think Amalur is as awesome as we do.

Curt, I just want to say that this is extremely classy and my rather juvenile attempts at trolling you were just that, juvenile.

As someone who briefly got to work in the games industry I totally respect your passion and I actually do wish you success. This industry needs all the help it can get.

I still jinxed your no hitter though! :p

Curt post is EPIC

Total respect. Especially appreciated the honesty about not being able to POST like a hardcore gamer because that isn't in the cards.

Bravo and congrats on making something that looks like it can finally take the wind out of Bethesda's sails a bit ...and this is coming from someone who loves Elder Scrolls and Fallout

ironcreed

Banned
Wow, thanks for taking the time to come here and share your thoughts Curt, it really means a lot. That post alone has pushed me from the top of the fence firmly into the Day 1 purchase camp. I already liked what I saw from the demo and was planning on buying the game at some point but this kind of involvement and passion is enough to secure my purchase a little bit sooner.

ChosenWisely.jpg

Barrett2

I'm sure we'll be chatting more, just wanted to say thanks and we hope you think Amalur is as awesome as we do.

Let me just say that I have tremendous respect for a CEO that is willing to stick their neck out and interact honestly and directly with the community. Very much appreciated.

Generally people that post the real bad stuff about me are Democrats and Yankee fans, and that's cool, I get it. But you Yankee fans, keep hating, that's cool, I understand. Please don't come here and post 'You" have 27 or 28 rings or whatever, unless your Derek Jeter because YOU have none, I have 3, I was honored to play with 3 very special groups of men and be a part of 3 World Championships, and that made some folks mad...

Ban this man.

;)

Godslay

Banned
I haven't touched this genre since Oblivion. Seeing the passion that Schilling and his team have shown for this game really makes me want to give it a shot. Demo sounds buggy, so I'm not even going to bother. Instead I'll buy day one, the way I look at it is that I've spent money on other games without any reassurance.

I'm assuming pc is the best bet at this point? Any perceieved differences between the platforms?

Macmanus

Never even heard of this game until today when I went to the Steam site. Read up about the game and it's developer and the pedigree blew me away. Haven't even seen a video of the game yet, much less tried the demo. I'll be purchasing it regardless because Macfarlane. I'd image Shilling and Macfarlane to be fast friends, and this looks like a project of passion.

Communicating with the community certainly earns a lot of points as well. Just ask Denis Dyack.

edit: Beaten to the Dyack reference. RATS!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Man, this game was barely on my radar at all. When I saw that the demo was out and the thread here started to take off I thought, "Ok, I'm interested but I really don't want to get caught up in the GAF hype again."

Then I played the demo last night. Then I read Gabe's post over on PA just now.

I'm in.

Honestly the only thing I didn't really like about the demo was that lock picking didn't feel quite right. I don't know if it's the visual and rumble feed back, but it just feels a little too loose and I was breaking lock picks even on locks marked as 'very easy'. Maybe it's because the slider will automatically go backwards I have to keep on placing constant pressure on the thumbstick?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well, now I have to look up Curt's politics. Lol.

Do I have to hate Curt, because I'm a democrat? Because he seems pretty chill.

Never even heard of this game until today when I went to the Steam site. Read up about the game and it's developer and the pedigree blew me away. Haven't even seen a video of the game yet, much less tried the demo. I'll be purchasing it regardless because Macfarlane. I'd image Shilling and Macfarlane to be fast friends, and this looks like a project of passion.

Communicating with the community certainly earns a lot of points as well. Just ask Denis Dyack.

edit: Beaten to the Dyack reference. RATS!

I really recommend checking out the demo. It'll give you great insight into what you're in for. I actually think the demo was pretty well done, considering the scope of the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Whilst I wholeheartedly appreciate Curt's genuine enthusiasm and candour (a rare trait outside of Valve), as much as I enjoyed the demo, the price of $60 nonetheless remains a bitter pill to swallow.

Having said that, I as an Aussie - and I'm sure I speak for more than myself here - love that the game lacks the so-called "Aussie Tax" (for those unfamiliar with the term, it refers to arbitrarily inflated DD prices to appease brick-and-mortar retailers, such as EB Games and GAME). If the post-release opinions regarding both overall quality and length are to my liking, I won't hesitate to purchase the game even at full price.

Wallach

Honestly the only thing I didn't really like about the demo was that lock picking didn't feel quite right. I don't know if it's the visual and rumble feed back, but it just feels a little too loose and I was breaking lock picks even on locks marked as 'very easy'. Maybe it's because the slider goes back so I have to keep on placing constant pressure on the thumbstick?

I know that I have a problem on the PC version with the controller, because it doesn't respect much of any deadzone when checking analog input during the lockpick game. So if you tap right then let go, it'll often just keep going right since the stick never goes back to true neutral, which means you have to actually push it left to stop pressure. Leads to a very awkward form of manipulating the stick where you're going left/right of center rather than sort of slowly applying pressure in one direction (which is what you intuitively want to be doing).

Curt, I'm a Republican and I have never wore a Yankees hat in my life. Of course, I'm a football freak as it is my first love but I did collect baseball cards as a kid back in the late 80's/90's. Sorry.lol

Come to think of it, I've probably got quite a few of your cards sitting somewhere. I was really into Jose Canseco in those days.............I regret that. LOL

Any chance you will be on the radio with Beck or Hannity to promote the game?

That being said, Kingdoms of Amalur is my dream game come true.

I was telling this to my younger brother who almost has a B.A. in Computer Animation (who now wants to work at Big Huge). R.A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane were my two dream grabs. If someone had asked me what game had the best music of all time I would have said Banjo Kazooie (thanks Grant). Before Big Huge was bought, I was ultra excited to learn Ken Rolston was hired and they were working on a RPG. I just knew that some big publisher would buy them and get a steal from THQ. I'm glad you bought them instead.

I was also very interested in 38 studios formation from the first day.

The guts of the game were everything I would have ever asked for if I had the money. The game mechanics, art style, music, etc. I was just on here the other day thinking Super Bowl ads would be perfect for this game due to the timing. Presto, confirmed. Streaming live on launch day? Confirmed. I could on and on but it shows that you think alot like forum gamers dream. You've got the NEOGAF's of the world locked up now. I'm sure the mainstream will follow.

To see all of that stuff come together knocked my socks off and I knew I had to pre-order just on blind faith. I followed every little bit of online news about BHG/38 studios I could find. I ragged my brother forever to get an internship there before BHG hit it big. The demo is what finally made him cave in. Now he is buying the PC version day 1 even though he shouldn't be able to afford it.lol

Now he is a huge fanboy of BHG which is good because we are from WV and Maryland isn't as far off as San Fran or Austin, TX. I could drive to see him from time to time if he ever worked there. Before BHG, he had gotten in contact with Insomniac and mom was worried she would never see him again.lol

But anyways, I'm glad there is someone out there running a gaming company that is like minded. Your not just a "gamer", you more closely aligned to the "ultra nerd" pole of the spectrum- which is perfect.

Derrick01

Banned
I've always had a lot of respect for Curt (as a democrat AND yankee fan, you crushed my soul with that bloody sock!). Can't help but respect someone who doesn't hold back verbally, who didn't give excuses and just goes out and gets the job done, even if it was against my team. Learning he was a real gamer a year or two ago just increased my respect for him.

I know I was pretty down on the demo but I feel like that's more my problem as I said I was somewhat burned out on the fantasy wrpg genre. Really from what I could tell it had everything I would normally want from a wrpg, which I would expect nothing less with Rolston at the helm. I'll most likely be buying the game probably during the summer sale if it's featured, but even if I wanted the game on day 1 my computer just broke so I'd obviously have to take care of that crappy situation first.

Also welcome to Gaf Curt. I don't think we have to worry about any Dyack-like meltdowns with him. Like he said he's got pretty thick skin.

I'm assuming pc is the best bet at this point? Any perceieved differences between the platforms?

Honestly can't say yet since the builds are so far behind.

Having played all 3 though, here's the breakdown of my observations:

Xbox 360: 30fps, looks vsynced, motion blur/post processing. Some people report it looks subHD though.

PS3: 30-60fps unlocked, less postprocessing/motion blur. People claiming running higher res than 360. 7.1 sound

PC: you get idea. Everything at 60fps and native 360 controller support

oktarb

Roller coaster ride man. Was so hyped when I started reading about this game. Then I played the demo and some of the wind came out of my sails. I knew that I hadn't seen one one thousandth of the game but i still felt a little bit of 'been there done that'.

Then I read more and more about the people behind the game (and in front - Curt) and love what they are trying to do. I feel like my money should go to their effort. As a friend of mine often says "Vote with your wallet". i choose to vote for this game and the people behind it. Now I'm back to 100% buying this game.

My one wish is that the Steam version bonus wasn't ass-hats. I love Steam and boycotted Gamestop but I still love me some exclusives. Seems like the big boys paid some good money to get the exclusives. A company the builds games for gamers should give Steam a little more.

scy

I was telling this to my younger brother who almost has a B.A. in Computer Animation (who now wants to work at Big Huge). R.A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane were my two dream grabs.

The talent in this is rather daunting, though I'm wondering if it'll end up more on the side of (too) high expectations. We'll see, I guess?

Makes me sad to realize that, as a numbers guy who hates programming, I really don't have much in the way to do much for the actual gaming field outside of like ... QA work. :| Disheartening a bit.

PS3: 30-60fps unlocked, less postprocessing/motion blur. People claiming running higher res than 360. 7.1 sound

Retail PS3 should be locked FPS. Personally speaking, I can't see much reason to not go PC if you have one capable of running it. 360 controller support out of the box and the rest of the bells and whistles for it makes it a pretty easy choice for me.

Surely you can understand my cynicism towards a developer-touted figure of game length.

I'm actually curious as to what this "everything" entails that adds up to this nearly 300 hour thing.

Smokey

Epic post by Schilling. Welcome!

I do find it funny when he said he had no idea this place existed. See guys, we aren't AS important as we thought.

Demo is awesome and I'll be there day 1 for PC.

Godslay

Banned
Honestly can't say yet since the builds are so far behind.

Having played all 3 though, here's the breakdown of my observations:

Xbox 360: 30fps, looks vsynced, motion blur/post processing. Soft people report it looks subHD though.

PC: you get idea. Everything at 60fps and native 360 controller support
Thanks. PC it is then. Native 360 controller support is a great selling point for me as well.

Dunlop

Played this game up to the point where I got the the surface based off the positive reviews in this thread

..I don't see it.

Does the game pickup when you are on the surface?

Everything in this game seems so derivative and that combined with the visual style is quite off putting. To be specific, it just looks like an even more consolized and light weight elder's scrolls game at least stylistically and in terms of character development and itemization. It's an open world rpg so I'll give it a chance, but the actual content has to be pretty amazing to make up for the first impression.

Gameplay with controller kicks elder scrolls in the ass. It also wipes the floor with any 3rd person combat action title on Pc.

kitzkozan

Totally.

But I hope he doesn't pull a Dennis Dyack once the reviews start pouring in.

Given the mostly positive reception toward Kingdom, that's not going happen. :] GAF saw a mediocre game based on the Too Human demo and the retail version got mediocre reviews as well. At worst, I think KOA will get a 85 since it's got a lot of things going for it. Ton of content & lore, a fun combat system that only get better as you progress into the game, lot's of different zones and climate, etc. I don't expect the dialogues or story to be top notch, but that hasn't stopped Bethesda right? :]

Everything in this game seems so derivative and that combined with the visual style is quite off putting. To be specific, it just looks like an even more consolized and light weight elder's scrolls game at least stylistically and in terms of character development and itemization. It's an open world rpg so I'll give it a chance, but the actual content has to be pretty amazing to make up for the first impression.

There have been a lot of posts complaining about the lack of the ability to jump in KoAR.

Someone please explain to me the benefits of jumping in an RPG?
How many RPG's have a jump mechanic to where its compelling and necessary to the gameplay?

Its an ACTION rpg.

I am honestly getting sick of reading all this good press- I want this game *SO* much!
The wait is getting unbearable, especially after having replayed the demo multiple times on an almost daily basis this week.

I've even given up playing my massive backlog in anticipation of this game. I'll start playing something and I end up just wanting to play Amalur instead.

It's not often a game (let alone a demo) can make me forsake playing pretty much everything else I own.

February can't come soon enough!

gogojira

Welcome to GAF, Curt. I've followed your posts on FoH in the 38 thread, good to have you here, too.

His post sums up why I'm so damn excited about Amalur as a whole, definitely with Reckoning but even more with the MMO. It's been a while since I've seen a team with leaders who genuinely have a passion for what they're doing.

Kabouter

Just played the demo on PC, though just the cave bits and a tiny bit of the world, didn't spend the full 45 minutes wandering around. Sadly, the first thing I encountered was a pretty severe bug. I haven't read the thread fully, so I'm not sure if others have encountered it as well, but my screen was just all black. When I opened a menu and then closed it, the menu would stay, and the rest would still be black. Turning off post processing (which was on by default) worked for that though. I presume it's due to the fact that my video card is a little older (Radeon 4870 512MB).

As far as the game goes, I enjoyed the combat more than I usually do in these sorts of games. I thought it worked very well (played with 360 pad) and it was quite a bit of fun. It actually reminds me a little of how the Fable games play. The levelling system also seems quite nice. What I didn't like so much however was the whole art and setting of it, it just doesn't appeal to me. It's not a world I want to be spending time in, nothing about it really interests me. I can't really put my finger on why, but yeah, tastes differ I suppose. Won't be picking it up, except maybe in a cheap Steam sale or something.

Top Bottom