• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

Xater

I'm sure we'll be chatting more, just wanted to say thanks and we hope you think Amalur is as awesome as we do.

Welcome to GAF Curt! It can be harsh place but also a place for some good discussion. I am sure we will have a thread for your full game so be sure to check that one out. There will probably be lots of interesting feedback for you (most likely good and bad though ;) ).

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
The Might/Sorcery destinies look pretty sick! 2 handed Greatsword? Full Plate? Slingin spells anyway? Why don't mind if I do.

This demo was so much fun I can't wait for the game.

It's also why I have finally come to grips with the fact that in a forum like this one post can start "Art sucks, hate it, derivative..." to "Amazing art, the world is vibrant and alive!" and both can be right. It's 100% subjective. Even though I watched this world come alive and I have seen the personal sacrifice hundreds of people have made over hundreds of thousands of hours, some people aren't going to like it.

As someone who had never heard of the game before playing demo, and who was subsequently one of the detractors in regards to the art style, I can safely say that the 'Heroes Guide to Amalur' trailer linked above did a lot to assuage any doubts I had about the variety of the game world. I may not be entirely in love with the stylistic choices, but I can see that the world on offer outside of the confines of the demo is vibrant, inventive, varied and content-filled enough to give me hope that this is a game I'll not regret purchasing day 1.

Also, I just wanted to say how appreciated it is that a developer is willing to get his hands dirty amid the murky waters of video game messageboards. Far too many developers are entirely disconnected from their audience, when they should be following your lead in showing the gaming world how personally excited and invested in their game they are.

Xater

My cursor is hovering over the download demo button....I really should give this a chance, but damn do I dislike the art style.

Dude, just give it a try. It's not like it cost you anything. maybe you enjoy and have a game you can look forward to. This probably one of the worst reasons I ever heard to not even give the demo a shot.

After close to 15 demo plays I just found a new cave :D

Basically that mine you find in Allestar Glade after leaving the tutorial has the magical barrier removed after meeting with the Fateweaver. I love this game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Dude, just give it a try. It's not like it cost you anything. maybe you enjoy and have a game you can look forward to. This probably one of the worst reasons I ever heard to not even give the demo a shot.

Yeah, I'm going to download it I guess. I'll give it a try when I have some time tomorrow.

Atruvius

More devs should be like the 38 and BHG guys ie. interact with the community. Really makes you appreciate more the work these guys and gals do.

Welcome!

All I got out of what he said was "I'm a republican". Pre-order cancelled.

I KEED TOO! Ending the curse of the bambino trumps any political differences I may have. Now I need to set my DVR for Kimmel and Fallon.

Elev8ion

Neo Member
Also, I just wanted to say how appreciated it is that a developer is willing to get his hands dirty amid the murky waters of video game messageboards. Far too many developers are entirely disconnected from their audience, when they should be following your lead in showing the gaming world how personally excited and invested in their game they are.

Yes, perfectly stated. This x10000000!!

ironcreed

Banned
[snip]

Quality trumps all, saying that after the demo may sound hollow and you might call BS on me and us for it, but I promise you where we control 100% of the work we will set a bar that will be insanely challenging to meet, and continue meeting it as long as we're around.

So again, thanks for this, this thread took up my entire flight out, 6 hours and 11 minutes, but it was worth it because we're prepping for a new sort of 'Opening day" and threads like this don't pop up for games people aren't interested in. It's the same thing I told young players walking into Yankee Stadium, be good enough to get boo'd because Yankee fans are highly intelligent, they don't boo players that suck.

I'm sure we'll be chatting more, just wanted to say thanks and we hope you think Amalur is as awesome as we do.

The straight forward attitude, involvement and passion from this guy is what is going to make them stand out (it is already making them stand out). Just from discussions on this game and seeing how they interact, I can see something different on display. They are non-stop involved, have an insane drive for what they are doing and want to deliver quality content.

The bottom line? I think this new IP is going to go places with this kind of team steering it. Nothing but impressed with the team and the game so far and absolutely cannot wait for the final product. Thank you for taking the time to chime in here, Curt.

daedalius

Oh dang, Curt is here.

Can't wait to play the full game. At first I started off not really liking it, but after I got used to the camera a bit better, I've played the demo about 5 times now trying different builds and weapons.

kitzkozan

Welcome to GAF Curt! It can be harsh place but also a place for some good discussion. I am sure we will have a thread for your full game so be sure to check that one out. There will probably be lots of interesting feedback for you (most likely good and bad though ;) ).

Given that Curt played in the MLB for so long and is a future HOF, I don't think he will be that shaken by the negative feedback on GAF. :) The game won't be perfect and the artstyle ain't for everyone so of course there will be complaints, but I also expect plenty of: this is one of the biggest surprise of the year or generation. ;)

low-G

Democrat here. You know what got me interested in 38 Studios / Amalur from the start? Because you were/are an Everquest fan. I figure anyone that could 'get' Everquest in the WoW era had to know -something- and personally I think it comes through in the Amalur demo even though it also is WoW-ish too.

scy

1) I had NO idea this forum existed, and I am and have been on the internet, and a gamer, for a pretty long time.

Humorously enough, I think I heard about GAF at some point from FoH or at least sometime during my EQ days.

2) I've read every single post in this thread...

I'm sorry.

Let me start by apologizing. The demo? Ya, it is way way WAYYYYY more buggy than anything ANYONE should ever release, much less a demo.

A demo is supposed to be a DEMONSTRATION of the game. In some ways, for you without buggy demos, it sort of is, but it's just impossible to convey the depth of breadth of a game that has anywhere from 40-50 hours (main quest line play) to 2-300 hours (for completionist) in it at launch. It's like saying you hate baseball after the 1st pitch in the top of the 1st inning.

That was EXACTLY why we argued EA in favor of not having the demo. It's also exactly why I was wrong, and EA was right. Yes there are people that were on the fence who now will not buy it, there were people who weren't buying it anyway, who still aren't, but the massive awareness and the insane amount of 'had no idea about this game, now it's a day 1 buy" and "Was on the fence but am now sold" posts mean EA hit this one perfectly in INTENT.

The demo has been a God send, especially when I realize even in this thread, how many people became aware because of the demo.

I'm actually glad to hear the feedback from you in this regard since apparently I think we rehashed that topic way more times than makes any kind of sense. This thread really did take off, which says a lot; nice to know that you think of it as a success from that. I hope it carries through to the actual release.

I think I remember KoA having a mention at E3 or somewhere at some point but, honestly, it didn't really make an impression beyond name association of your name from EQ/FoH times. The demo did a damn good job of at least getting an impression out there.

On that note, I still need to see this disappearing head glitch from the demo :( I feel like I'm missing some integral part of the experience. Kinks aside, it wasn't a terrible experience as the mechanics are (mostly) there so I wouldn't be too hard on the demo itself as far as that goes; it wasn't ideal, yes, but it worked.

That said, I'd have liked a little "arena" with a training dummy, even with the limited skillset(s) available :x I have number crunching I want to do :|

People that bought our CE and SE are going to realize that even more, as both are way beyond anything, quality wise, I've ever purchased.

...wait, there's a CE?

Naeblish

Epic dev post in an awesome topic, fuck yeah! Off to the weekend, will probably play KoAR a few more times. Can't wait for this game.

matmanx1

Welcome Curt and thanks for your comments and passion! I've been following your studio's work for a while now and since playing the demo I am incredibly excited for the final release. I think you and your team have made a game that I am going to enjoy spending many hours with. I hope Amalur is a great success for 38 Studios and that KoA is just the start of many great things for you and your team.

Developers with your community sensibilities are rare. Please don't ever change this.

Big Huge has something special with KoAR. Ian Frazier and Joe Quadara have made it very difficult for me to decide how to spec out my character. Feb 7 can't come soon enough.

mjc

Thanks for the post Curt, I already have Amalur reserved but your attempts at connecting with us fans solidifies that decision. Don't be a stranger!

Elev8ion

Neo Member
Whoever sent me the email about me "being a Schill for Schill:" very clever my friend!

Back OT, I have played the demo several times now and only had the disappearing head happen twice. I believe this isn't a huge issue and still may happen within the final code of the game.

I am truly having a difficult time figuring out what kind of character I want to start and build. I think I'll go polar opposites with my 360 and PS3 characters.

Developers with your community sensibilities are rare. Please don't ever change this.

Big Huge has something special with KoAR. Ian Frazier and Joe Quadara have made it very difficult for me to decide how to spec out my character. Feb 7 can't come soon enough.

The sign of a good game in this genre is how long after release people are still debating over which build is better. I think Blizzard is still balancing all of their classes.

I checked my DVR and don't see Curt on Kimmel or Fallon in the coming week.

Well, as a liberal Independent who works in an office full of die-hard conservatives, I can honestly say - painfully cheesy as it may sound - nothing matters when people care enough to bust their ass and work toward a common goal.

Following this and the Copernicus project on FoH and in interviews for years has always left me hoping that there was still room for new IPs to break out of the gate with guns blazing. Even as little as a couple months ago, I was nervous about this game having almost no buzz, but you guys have really knocked it out of the park (sorry, don't hit me) in the last month. I know you're encouraged by this thread, but something you may not know that'll really thrill you is that this thread for a demo is longer than some threads for final games. Keep that thick skin and open mind when the Official Thread pops up and enjoy the ride.

So Curt, in that spirit, let me say I hope the final game is as good as it seems, I hope it does gangbusters for you and your team, and I hope you all have a great future.
Old EQ 4 life. :p

Torraz

Played the demo through a second time with the controller. I think I do prefer this method of controlling the game. I really liked the second playthrough and am convinced that game is going to be great.

However now I'm conflicted since my budget is already under heavy duress due to devil survivor 2 on the DS (sequel to my favorite game on that console and an Atlus game...) and Last Story and the backlog.

Ive had the game and the hardcover Future Press guide preordered since I first stumbled into this thread. (Had no clue about the signature edition stuff, sadly lttp).

Definitely excited about the game Curt, looks great, demo was a blast and look forward to dumping lots of time in this one!

So, GAF has its very first World Series champion poster.

As a Red Sox fan it was awesome finally getting that WS, but the highlight for me will always be that series prior to the WS against the Yankees. Greatest series of games I've ever seen.

But back to the game, anyone else notice enemies have very distinct ranges they'll go to follow you before they return to where they were? That's very WOW-ish, but it's stopping me from agroing an entire area and hitting them with Reckoning and level up even faster. The one time the agro range doesn't appear to apply is bosses. I was able to summon the Troll and kite him towards a group of wolves, bears, and fairies and then Reckoning them all. Tons of experience.

Nista

Welcome Curt, to our little corner of madness and rage!

We've been keeping the fire alive for Reckoning for some time now, but the demo really has made the job so much easier. Actions speak louder than words for the gamers around here.

I hope you can keep that promise of free beers at Amalurcon 2015. ;)

scy

But back to the game, anyone else notice enemies have very distinct ranges they'll go to follow you before they return to where they were? That's very WOW-ish, but it's stopping me from agroing an entire area and hitting them with Reckoning and level up even faster. The one time the agro range doesn't appear to apply is bosses. I was able to summon the Troll and kite him towards a group of wolves, bears, and fairies and then Reckoning them all. Tons of experience.

I'm not really surprised (or dismayed, really) by leashing enemies. Just kind expect it so as to limit certain kinds of little tricks or basic kiting practices. Though, there is a part of me that will always enjoy seeing what kind of stupid things I can break by virtue of kiting and terrain exploits...

I will say that I hope areas beyond the demo are more packed with enemies. There's a lot of spacing between enemies in the starter area and it makes it seem a bit barren. But, starter area and all so it's just one of those things I'm keeping in mind for the full game and not really complaining about (yet).

Maffis

After close to 15 demo plays I just found a new cave :D

Basically that mine you find in Allestar Glade after leaving the tutorial has the magical barrier removed after meeting with the Fateweaver. I love this game.

That's funny. I immediately went there after the fateweaver on my first time playing the demo just to check it out :p

I was honored to play with 3 very special groups of men and be a part of 3 World Championships...

& your efforts provided me & my wife with one helluva lot of inspiration, enjoyment, & memories, along the way :) . sincere thanks (&, of course, best of luck in all you do)...

I'm just glad there's someone older than me in here (41).
You'll find a lot of people like my brother in the Official Thread once the game releases. My brother and I will play the same game but he'll go into a rant for 15 minutes about all his issues with it but then when I ask him his final verdict he says. "I Loved it!!"

whoa whoa whoa!

Curt schilling on GAF? who is he!?

Man, been on this forum since 2005 and still surprises me the celebrities who show up around here.

The sign of a good game in this genre is how long after release people are still debating over which build is better.

I've played the demo about a dozen times now and every play style is very fun.

I'm hopeful Big huge will add 3-4 player online co-op for KoAR2. TBH I'm not really all that interested in an MMO.

hopefully they add a jump button too! *rollseyes*

Aesthet1c

Welcome Curt!

It's so awesome to see developers that are in touch with their community.

Amalur is definitely a game that came out of nowhere for me, I only heard about it a few weeks ago and that's thanks to GAF. Now it's one of my most anticipated games this year.

Top Bottom