• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS Vita LCD screen 'not inferior to OLED', insists Sony

Oh, and you're not alone. The masses continue to purchase LCD TVs in droves despite the fact that the technology is out of date. The high sales numbers and low manufacturing costs combined with failure of high-end displays in the marketplace have all contributed to the death of display innovation. People are OK with LCDs.

For those of us who are not (such as myself), it really really sucks. I hate using LCDs for anything outside of work or internet browsing. For media consumption and gaming they are the worst possible option available today.

For what it's worth in the short time I spent with an OLED vita, I did notice the screen was stunning. While I think the LCD screen will be inferior, despite what PR they throw out, it's (probably) just not to a large enough degree to really get the masses to care, was my main point.

I would. It's the best screen available for Vita. I don't have a problem buying a second one if I have to even if it's this new screen. I don't think I had any glaring issues with PSP and that was lower resolution.

I was considering purchasing one a month or so ago, but ultimately there just weren't a ton of games on it that I was interested in, so I opted for the 3ds instead. P4G would have made it an instant buy if I hadn't just beaten the PS2 version a couple of months ago.

Still, it's not a bad offer. Just had a sales drop and it'll be the superior version. I'll mull it over

It's not quite the same in this case.

The iPhone uses an IPS panel with some of the most accurate color reproduction around. It's very good and I prefer it over AMOLED for phones.

I believe it is the same as a whole. You are certainly entitled to your opinion that IPS LCD panels look better than OLED, I'm sure many are in the same camp. However, OLED provides better brightness, more saturated colors (which people unknowingly like) and better power efficiency.

I would find any company to be hard pressed to place any LCD panel against a proper OLED panel and the LCD come out on the same level of contrast, brightness and saturation.

Darksol

I won't be trading in my OLED Vita for the new model, but I can see how this was a necessary move on Sony's behalf. The pricing for LED screens is far more competitive than OLED, which should help drive Sony's cost down: an exciting prospect, as it makes the potential for Sony to bundle the Vita with the PS4 at a reasonable cost far more likely.

quetz67

Banned
Cant believe people take these two bad photos as a reference.

Those are falsified by different angles, the (probably cheap) camera ccd and then by the monitor you are watching them on.

The vita is region free, right? Might pick one of the 2000's up in late Oct when I'm in Japan for a business trip. Has the US release date been announced yet?

TxdoHawk

I'd believe Sony if this revision didn't smack of cost-cutting. Good LCDs can rival OLED. But let's be real, this new screen is likely a bulk bought TN POS.

I just hope OLED costs continue to decline. While the tech is far from perfect, nothing starts off that way (look at early plasmas).

Raistlin

Xfv.jpg

Okay Sony.

So why is Sony claiming that OLED TVs are the future then?
It's about the context. A screen for a portable has very specific requirements. Price (tens of dollars), power consumption, viewing angles, brightness, ambient light reflection, weight, thickness, etc.

Stating they are now able to source a panel that meets that specific use case says nothing about televisions. Very different requirements.

knitoe

I'd believe Sony if this revision didn't smack of cost-cutting. Good LCDs can rival OLED. But let's be real, this new screen is likely a bulk bought TN POS.

I just hope OLED costs continue to decline. While the tech is far from perfect, nothing starts off that way (look at early plasmas).

From the video post, it's definitely not a TN panel. The screen still looks decent when turning to the sides. A TN panel would be crap.

So the people calling this Bs, I hope you all have Vitas because this is becoming a LOL fest.

Do we even know the Price of this vita anyways? Because if the price is still high, then obviously it wasn't to keep costs low.

Even so, this is what happens when you get the luxury treatment from Sony and everyone wants their own way. Everyone wants high quality for cheap and it doesn't work that way. Not saying ips LCD all of a sudden is cheap because all your favorite smartphones have those screens and are the ones winning those "Best Screen award" on various tech blogs for the technology so what's the big deal now. If LCD is now something ugly, dump your smartphone, buy a og vita and start making it your primary mobile device.

shandy706

So the people calling this Bs, I hope you all have Vitas because this is becoming a LOL fest.

Do we even know the Price of this vita anyways? Because if the price is still high, then obviously it wasn't to keep costs low.

Even so, this is what happens when you get the luxury treatment from Sony and everyone wants their own way. Everyone wants high quality for cheap and it doesn't work that way. Not saying ips LCD all of a sudden is cheap because all your favorite smartphones have those screens and are the ones winning those "Best Screen award" on various tech blogs for the technology so what's the big deal now. If LCD is now something ugly, dump your smartphone, buy a og vita and start making it your primary mobile device.

High-end smart phones with great screens cost $400-$800 without a contract. The Vita wasn't $200 at launch either.

I think it's fine for people to prefer the OG Vita's screen. I think a lot of us want to be able to get one with OLED in the future. If mine breaks I don't want to replace it with this new one.

Costs come down over time, I would think that would apply to OLED too. It probably surprised a lot of people that they're going with LCD.

Edit** Note...I'm ok with the LCD screen if the console drops in price again soon. LCD screens are pretty cheap...even LED ones. I've replaced a couple 14"+ LED laptop screens in the last few months and I got them 3rd party for less than $45. Those were huge screens.

I do look forward to seeing the new screen in action next to my own Vita. That's the only way to really compare it.

It really does look good in that video, I can't notice any difference with my OLED Vita except in different viewing angles, but that is to be expected with LCDs.

Yes this is exactly what I mean. I can understand some posters being disappointed by the change, since they value motion performance and black depth over all else but if you actually look at the videos people have posted, Sony actually didn't go for bottom barrel junk unlike what they're doing with their smartphones.

I'd believe Sony if this revision didn't smack of cost-cutting. Good LCDs can rival OLED. But let's be real, this new screen is likely a bulk bought TN POS..

Look at any video. It isn't TN, its actually a very respectable panel. TN is obvious because you get obvious gamma shift the minute you change the vertical viewing angle; the new Vita's viewing angles are pretty darn stable. This is all that I need to see that its VA, IPS, or PLS.

Sony is lying that its not inferior to OLED but they're not being completely dishonest by giving you a piece of shit. It seems they've actually sourced a respectable replacement TFT panel for the new Vita.

BadWolf

The OLED screen is nice but it doesn't sell Vitas, the general public won't care about the difference (that's considering if they will even know about it).

This is for Sony to cut costs and will lead to an easier price drop in the future.

same exact price in japan

Errrr....

High-end smart phones with great screens cost $400-$800 without a contract.

And the vita was only $250 without a contract. It had a great screen and people still said it was too high even though it could function as a mobile device with the AT&T 3G that everyone hated but now the screen is now inferior.. I mean come on.. This happens every time Sony puts out a device. The first one is always bigger and better, people complain, they bring it down a notch to fit everyone's expectations and now (apparently) it's event worst than before

The vita isn't even bad now. What's even funny is the whole oled was better for gaming, however I'm 100% sure that they play all their games on either a Plasma, Led LCD, or straight LCD as there aren't that many solid Oled tvs. On top of that, all at the same time trying to be experts on gaming screen quality. . It makes no sense.

Edit :I seen your edit :). I agree, ips LCD is better than standard or even Amoled because you do get vibrant colors without the oversaturation that Amoled carries. Sony didn't completely cheap out but found something that works. IPs LCD is still expensive, just not as expensive as OLED that isn't an industry standard right now.

Bailers

The vita is region free, right? Might pick one of the 2000's up in late Oct when I'm in Japan for a business trip. Has the US release date been announced yet?

Has a US release even been confirmed? Maybe the Vita TV is getting me confused, but I don't remember even hearing that these will be released for sure in the US.

Still so completely on the fence over this. I wish they'd release the OLED version with colors, or at least re-release the white version.

DESTROYA

If I didn't have a OG VITA I'd be perfectly fine with this, after seeing some vids of it.
What is a much more interesting thing to me is the slightly bigger screen. Would love to see a true side by side comparison.

That's such a terrible comparison.

That's an old S-PVA monitor from goddamn April 2008. We're talking about more than 5 years old - a millennium in technology years.

This is what a modern IPS monitor (Asus ProArt) has in terms of viewing angles:

nHP3und.jpg

Is LCD worse than OLED? Yes, it is worse in terms of black depth and motion performance. How much worse? Probably not enough for most people to care. If Sony has implemented wide gamut backlighting (aka that Tri-Luminous buzzword), it will have similar colour saturation as OLED.

Looking at the video some guy took at Bic Photo, its not the end of the world like some people are proclaiming it to be.

Edit:
You're being even more disingenuous since that's from a Samsung 2493HM. That's a TN monitor (so even worse than S-PVA) released in 2007.
I googled viewing angles...how do you know that sony is using ips or even s-pva and not just a tn panel since they have the highest response time?
edit: ok let's wait.
Because everyone plays handhelds at a 90 degree angle...

Because lcd is utter shit compared to oled in every way....

Jaagen

Damn, I'm so torn on this. On one hand, I want the slimmer body, Micor USB and extended battery-life, but on the other hand, I want the OLED screen.

PSP and PS1 games will look like garbage on the new Vita's.

The OLED screen does an amazing job of smoothing the jaggies and overall image quality of older games, even though they're being blown up to fill the screen's higher resolution. The LCD will accentuate them.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
How the heck would an OLED screen smooth edges in psx/psp games?
These are pixels. Not magic.

(I own one and love playing psx games on it by the way)

I googled viewing angles...how do you know that sony is using ips or even s-pva and not just a tn panel since they have the highest response time.

So you know they aren't?
And still a picture of viewing angles from a 2007 panel doesn't help illustrate anything.

We're not going to know anything until these are out.

RalchAC

And the vita was only $250 without a contract. It had a great screen and people still said it was too high even though it could function as a mobile device with the AT&T 3G that everyone hated but now the screen is now inferior.. I mean come on.. This happens every time Sony puts out a device. The first one is always bigger and better, people complain, they bring it down a notch to fit everyone's expectations and now it's event worst than before

The vita isn't even bad now. What's even funny is the whole oled was better for gaming, however I'm 100% sure that they play all their games on either a Plasma, Led LCD, or straight LCD as there aren't that many solid Oled tvs. On top of that, all at the same time trying to be experts on gaming screen quality. . It makes no sense.

The only people who is going to note that difference is the current Vita players if / when their handhelds break and they need to upgrade to a new one. People that hasn't bought and played dozens of hourst the original Vita are not going to think "this is shit compared to the old OLED".

I don't know how good my PS3 games will look with and OLED TV because before the Samsung LCD I have right now I have an old fat TV. But if my television broke and I had to play my PS3 in a cheap TV because my family hasn't enough money for spending another 700/800€ in a good one, I'll probably note the difference.

I googled viewing angles...how do you know that sony is using ips or even s-pva and not just a tn panel since they have the highest response time?

Because there are videos of the new Vita in this very thread. It is not TN because TN has very, very, very, very obvious vertical viewing angle issues like what you showed in your image. And if you want to be dishonest, then at least pick a decent example and not a TFT panel from 2007 for crying out loud.

The viewing angles in the videos are very good, what you expect from a good smartphone, so it is IPS or PLS. I doubt its VA because that has gamma shift too and that doesn't really come in 5" packages when I last checked. And they're not using S-PVA because that's obsolete technology and Samsung hasn't made S-PVA panels for a few years now.

TN panels aren't the fastest either so there would be no point for Sony to choose TN over IPS except to save money. But they obviously haven't gone that route and have sourced some decent 5" panels. TN panels are only really faster when dark objects are moving against light backgrounds; IPS is the opposite. So realistically, 60hz TN and IPS panels have the same sort of motion performance, especially if the IPS panel has good overdrive. I am aware that if you want to game, you would still buy a 120hz TN monitor but that's because its 120hz and not because its TN.

QaaQer

House: "LCD panel can now realise an image quality as high as that of the OLED"

The five-inch LCD panel at the centre of the new PlayStation Vita will match the quality of the OLED display found in older models, a Sony exec has claimed.

CVG

lock if old

awww, and here I thought Sony had gotten out of the 'lie to sell product' thing.

RE_Player

Even though I like my OLED screen I'll be picking up one of these new models for my brother when they are released in North America. Looks fine to me.

awww, and here I thought Sony had gotten out of the 'lie to sell product' thing.

Right now I share your skepticism, but I think it's a bit too early to assert that they're lying. I'm sure there's some corporate BS in Sony's beliefs but after seeing some of the later photos taken of the device I'm getting an inkling that it the LCD might not be nearly as bad as we're presuming it is.

QaaQer

That's an ips panel. Different than what "LCD" usually means in a product. LED is also LCD technically.

no. wrong.

LCD monitors use crystals that 'twist'. throught the twisting, the act as filters that change the characteristics of light that is shone through them. The light source can be LED or florescent or whatever. To show black they the crystals filter as much as they can, but it is never 100%, so black is always a shade of dark grey and not black. Further, the colors that result from the filtering and never 100% accurate, and there is large variety in screen accuracy and even different pixels in different parts of the screen.

OLED, are screens that are made up of particles that emit particular colors. There is no back light. So if a black is needed, the screen controller tells the particle not to glow, there is no light so 100% black. Further, when a color is needed in a pixel, it glows that color at the required intensity. The major problem with OLEDs vs LCD is longevity, burn-in, and mura. Everything else being equal, OLED produces a substantially better image.

And finally, you cannot judge OLED vs LCD on an LCD screen. It is like judging 4K vs 1080p on a 1080p monitor.

Having said all that, it is obvious most people dont care about image quality, or quality in general. As such, we get things like the loudness war and Pioneer having to sell their plasma business. Sony had to make this move, but they also should have reduced the price by more than $10.

How the heck would an OLED screen smooth edges in psx/psp games?
These are pixels. Not magic.

(I own one and love playing psx games on it by the way).

The color contrast hides a lot of the imperfections, and the smoothing on the emulator works great.

In fact, many PSP games look better on a Vita, than on a native PSP itself. Dracula X Chronicles, for example.

Ty4on

Because lcd is utter shit compared to oled in every way....

LCD uses less power, is less reflective, doesn't degrade over time and is overall a much more mature technology. There are drawbacks, but OLEDs also have them. In sunlight the Vita screen is pretty much unusable and you don't need a lot of ambient light for LCD blacks (on a decent LCD) to look black.

From this thread.
I do wish the Vitas screen could handle ultra bright sunny weather better, but I fully understand and accept its limitations. Here's a photo from my vacation in Mexico earlier this year. The screen brightness is on max in this pic

DSC00606.jpg

Nikodemos

They're not 'exactly' misdirecting potential buyers. Yes, the S-AMOLED in the OG Vita has an advantage in vibrance, motion accuracy and dynamic contrast, but the IPS/PLS/S-LCD/whatever in the new Vita has more accurate colors, no blue led death syndrome, no greenscreening a.k.a. 'mura' effect, no color degradation over time, less image wash-out in bright natural light etc. So, if we were to add each one's advantages and subtract its faults, the end result is very close to a balance.

GeeDuhb

How long has the original Vita been out now that Sony's much hyped OLED can now be matched by LCD? Just be honest and call it a money saving change.

Exactly. They can't call it a coincidence that they dropped the price of the system less than a month ago, and then release this, which is obviously a money saving move.

Why are people even mentioning oleds superior viewing angle, its a handheld, you naturally hold it straight in front of you

And all these comparison shots just confuse me

Honestly, this is one thing that I dont give a shit about.

New LCD screen > better than worrying that if I have the screen on the browser longer than 5 mins, im going to have icons burnt into my screen + mura effect looking like someone threw up behind it.

Im happy with my vita as is, but im really not going to miss the OLED.

Top Bottom