• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Polls show Ernst and Gardner leading by solid margins and the window to reverse those leads is shrinking by the day.

Braley should hammer on the fact that Ernst has come out as a climate change denier and point out that the reason for this is that she is in the pockets of the anti-wind energy that will have her slow down Iowa's great wind energy industry.

Braley should hammer on the fact that Ernst has come out as a climate change denier and point out that the reason for this is that she is in the pockets of the anti-wind energy that will have her slow down Iowa's great wind energy industry.

Nobody cares about climate change in a bad economy. Peters is winning handily in MI but he spent all summer running climate ads about Land...I just don't get it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Coming back to Colorado, but Udall has run an atrocious campaign against Gardner. Has he attacked Gardner for his position on any issue outside of reproductive rights? That should've served as a complement to a greater campaign of pushing that Gardner was too far right for Colorado but whatever.

He's got ads for men too. I mean look this bonafide mountain man talk about freedom. What man wouldn't vote for him?

Seriously though, That's just been the playbook for Colorado democrats have used to great success since at least 2008. You might be right that it's time to throw democrat leaning men a bone, but this sort of thing isn't new here. He has done a little bit of shutdowns talk, ragging on tax breaks for corporate interests instead of tax cuts for the common man, clean energy jobs for the economy, and privacy from surveillance, but that all is so rare to see it is practically non-existent.

The problem is that Democrats have a hard time finding other positions which they feel they have the advantage on. Every economic/budget related issue they feel obligated to be basically the republican-lite version of that issue, but you can't really beat a republican using republican positions.

I personally think Democrats should be attacking Gardner for saying the DOJ should ignore Colorado's decision to legalize marijuana. I don't understand why democrats are so afraid of taking a pro marijuana legalization stance in this state. It's been a year, results have been successful, and the law still has 55% of approval. And I bet the resistance against the federal government taking over the issue is even greater than that. Men also are slightly more open to legalization too, while women don't exactly hate the idea, making it a pretty good way to try and make up some of the gender gap that's working against you at the moment.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Gotta love Republicans:

"If you look at any sort of an amendment at the federal level ... they come together through consensus," she said Wednesday. "And, honestly, we don’t have a consensus. It would take two-thirds of the House, two-thirds of the Senate to even pass a proposed amendment, and then it would have to be ratified by three-quarters of our states’ legislatures. We don’t have that consensus at the federal level."

Joni Ernst is making the argument that while she supports a federal personhood amendment, nobody has to worry because it will most likely never get passed.

She's asking people to vote for her by assuring her that her horrid opinions will never become law.

Just so we're clear, this is supposed to be a defense.

Ernst named in sexual harassment lawsuit

A Republican running for U.S. Senate in Iowa has been named in a sexual harassment lawsuit. The suit was filed by a former staffer for Iowa Senate Republicans in Des Moines. Kirsten Anderson, the ex-communications director for the Iowa Senate Republican Caucus, alleges she was fired after complaining about an environment "that allowed ordinary sexism and fraternity behavior to flourish."

The suit names a number of alleged examples, including one involving GOP Senate Nominee Joni Ernst.

Anderson claims Ernst, a State Senator, along with fellow Senator Sandra Greiner of Keota were "witnesses sexual innuendo and inappropriate behavior exhibited by their male colleagues and did and said nothing while female staffers stood by unable to say anything."

The lawsuit alleges one male senator repeatedly talked about women's breasts and which lobbyists were the biggest flirts. Another, it claims, repeatedly commented on which of Anderson's shoes and hairstyles he preferred.

The lawsuit focuses largely on a policy analyst, who's accused of gossiping about the sexual history of a female senator and other inappropriate behavior.

Anderson says her supervisors started nitpicking her work after her complaints, then fired her. Republicans say she was fired for performance.
Will be swept under the rug by local and national media so they can talk about Braley's chickens

ivysaur12

Banned
Someone please photoshop Michelle Nunn's face on Sally Field so we can have the photo this election cycle has been crying out for: The Flying Nunn.

NeoXChaos

VA

Obama 51%
Romney 47%

CO

Obama 51%
Romney 47%

Both states are purple states but can someone explain to me how is Mark Warner cruising to reelection but Udall is struggling? .

I think MT, WV, SD, AK, LA, and AR are ultimately gone for the D's whether or not the incumbents survive now or retire in the future. All the states senate seats are looking like they are voting by presidential party line in the future leaving swing states as the future competitive senate races. Susan Collins is an eventually D seat as well as Kirk, Johnson, Ayotte and Toomey if D's continue to win their state as the D's have done in 5 or 6 of the last pres elections. Reid and Bennett of CO and NV can survive next cycle as long as Gardner and Sandoval don't run or lose in 2014(Gardner). Tester, Manchin, McCaskill, Donnelly, Heitkamp seats will be tough depending on 2018 environment. GA and AZ will eventually come into swing state territory adding four potential swing senate seats.

Bennett will be lean Democrat at worst and for Reid, don't underestimate Harry Reid. He's easily the most cutthroat politician in Washington today, and the Nevada Democratic Party is one of the best organized in the country.

QnDlsxT.png

What would the responses be if "Obama" was an answer?

Oblivion

LOL. I didn't see Rick Scott's post debate damage control for fanghazi:

Asked specifically about his decision to hide backstage, the Republican argued, in reference to his challenger, “I waited to see, until we figured figure out whether he was going to show up” for the debate.

In the post-debate spin room, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), a leading Scott surrogate, stuck to that line, saying “it wasn’t clear [Crist] was even going to show up.”

So, let me get this straight. The official Republican explanation is that Rick Scott wasn’t sure Charlie Crist would come onstage, even after Charlie Crist was already onstage. The GOP governor and his allies would have voters believe they couldn’t be sure the guy who’d already showed up would show up.

This, apparently, was the best argument they could come up with.

Nobody cares about climate change in a bad economy. Peters is winning handily in MI but he spent all summer running climate ads about Land...I just don't get it.

Troll try again, PD.

speculawyer said:
Jobs. People care about jobs (and leasing their farm-land to wind turbine operators).

Oblivion

Panetta has proven himself to be a phenomenal tool. Makes me glad he got replaced with...um, whoever the hell is defense secretary currently.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Jobs. People care about jobs (and leasing their farm-land to wind turbine operators).

You really think wind-energy jobs is a winning platform to run on in Iowa?

I Google News searched for Ernst and all the main stories were bad (sexual assault suit, personhood bill, 47% dabbling) if that means anything.

And Braley's still losing. Bad sign for Democrats in November.

Wilsongt

A North Carolina official resigned Thursday rather than perform gay marriages, an individual stand that comes as fewer and fewer states are holding on to oppose same-sex unions.

Triggered by a U.S. Supreme Court decision last week, lower courts across the nation have moved to strike down gay marriage bans. Among the holdouts are conservative states such as Arizona and Wyoming, and their defiance comes against a tide of rulings that give hope to those who want to see same-sex unions legalized in every state.

The North Carolina magistrate who quit his job said performing gay marriages would violate his religious beliefs.

Good. Don't want to do your job, then you don't need to be employed.

Also, the argument that "gay marriage is forcing people to lose their jobs" can fuck itself. This guy quit voluntarily for being an ass.

Oblivion

Once again, the party of Lincoln, ladies and gentlemen. Here's Nikki Haley explaining why the confederate flag is no big deal:

“What I can tell you is over the last three and a half years, I spent a lot of my days on the phone with CEOs and recruiting jobs to this state,” the governor noted. “I can honestly say I have not had one conversation with a single CEO about the Confederate flag.”

“But we really kind of fixed all that when you elected the first Indian-American female governor,” she insisted. “When we appointed the first African-American U.S. senator, that sent a huge message.”

I like how Fox News assumes that their audiences that are scared cowards no matter what.

And they are right.

And I didn't realize that an artificial sweetener was viewed as so dangerous.

Well, i know Aspartame has a comparatively high incidence of allergic reaction for it (I want to say its something like 1 in 15, 1 in 20...I know I'm personally allergic to it as well, causes my throat to close up on me.)

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Because wind farming is a pretty big industry in Iowa? Even their Republican governor supports it.

It is a big industry, but Ernst has promised to support RFS in congress. There's not much traction to be gained there (Braley has tried).

Wilsongt

Once again, the party of Lincoln, ladies and gentlemen. Here's Nikki Haley explaining why the confederate flag is no big deal:

A) Most of the jobs created were manufacturing, thus people who hire mostly rednecks, anyway. So, of course they won't care about the flag.

B) She was elected because SC is a red state. She was a Republican, that's it.

C) Tim Scott was appointed, not elected because Jim Deminted decided he wanted to go and run a think tank.

So, no. Try again, Nimrata.

Welp.

On the October 14 edition of "Hannity" on Fox News, the discussion of Democrats and social welfare programs dominated the conversation. Host Sean Hannity spoke with Fox News contributor and often fill in host, Stacey Dash. Asked if voting for Barack Obama and the Democrats have helped the minority community, Dash answered with a quick "no, not at all." "It still keeps them stuck. They are getting money for free. They feel worthless. They are uneducated," Dash said of minority neighborhoods. "I mean, as long as you are that way, they (Democrats) can keep you under their control," Dash noted.

Hannity attempted to clarify Dash's remarks and asked her if she felt like the Democratic party created a sense of dependency. Dash responded that Democrats have a "plantation mentality" and think that if they keep giving services and money to low income voters, they won't want to think for themselves.

benjipwns

Banned
MCCAIN GETS RESULTS:
President Barack Obama said Thursday that it may be necessary for him to appoint a czar to oversee his administration's response to Ebola and signaled that he is open to a travel ban but doubts it would do more to protect Americans.

"It may be appropriate for me to appoint an additional person," Obama told reporters in the Oval Office following a two-hour meeting with top advisers. That person, he said, would "make sure we're crossing all the t's and dotting all the i's" in the long run.

MCCAIN/PALIN 2016

I'm not mad considering the entire point of her saying this is to rustle a large response from black people, then play the victim card when someone calls her a name.

These people literally exist to be trotted out by white conservatives and say things they couldn't get away with. It's a game for profit. They write books, get TV appearances, etc while telling white conservatives what they want to hear: black people are lazy, uneducated, have a hive mind, etc.

We're gonna pretend like black people are the only uneducated people in fucking Louisiana? BTW, a state that is not currently benefiting from the Obamacare Medicaid expansion, which btw would help more white citizens of the state than black. They pay taxes - sales tax, state tax, gas tax, on and on.

Wilsongt

Oblivion

I'm not mad considering the entire point of her saying this is to rustle a large response from black people, then play the victim card when someone calls her a name.

These people literally exist to be trotted out by white conservatives and say things they couldn't get away with. It's a game for profit. They write books, get TV appearances, etc while telling white conservatives what they want to hear: black people are lazy, uneducated, have a hive mind, etc.

Speaking of which, how's your book going, PD?

And the Florida GOP births FanGate.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/the-florida-gop-is-really-trying-to-make-charlie-crists-fan-a-thing/

B0FBao5IAAABQmy.png

Florida GOP ✔ @FloridaGOP
Follow

Faced with his record, @CharlieCrist can’t handle the heat. #CristHitsTheFan #sayfie

http://www.buzzfeed.com/floridagop/cristhitsthefan-g7at

Can't attack him on real issues, so instead attack him over something so trivial that the only one making a stink about it in the first place was Scott.

These people...

Oh for fuck's sake. The Karl Rove school of reality warping strikes again.

HylianTom

Banned
Okay, now I'm annoyed with myself. Apparently Bill Clinton was in town last night, and he found time to stop by Dat Dog for dinner and a round of triva. A ten minute walk away. I'm there all the friggin' time.

Your relationship with Obama is so weird.

It is. To me in many ways, Obama is like a shepherd who lets a few wolves into the herd, but keeps a certain amount (whether it's a majority or a minority) out. The alternative is a shepherd who would let all the wolves in. Elizabeth Warren essentially made that point last week when she said Obama has served Wall Street at nearly every turn...but he also signed the CFPB. His entire presidency revolves around that type of shit to me.

In the case of foreign policy he's heading an administration that would love to bomb Syria to shit, topple Assad, train "moderate" Islamists (when has that ever worked, long term?), fight ISIS head on, etc. And so far we've gotten half measures in most of those areas. We attack ISIS...but only with inefficient airstrikes. We tacitly support Syrian rebels...but not enough to topple Assad.

I think the difference is that moderation works better in domestic policy, at least when it comes to the foreign policy comparisons I laid out. A half measure healthcare bill benefits 15-20 million people. A half measure airstrike campaign saves a few thousand people on a mountain while tons more die elsewhere. So while I disagree with most of these half measures, don't think we should be involved in most of this nonsense...at least Obama isn't doing what McCain would do, or Romney, or even Clinton: full scale engagement.

HylianTom

Banned
The Daily Show is having a goddamn field day with Crist's ballsack fan. I really hope someone makes a gif or two of Samantha Bee fondling Florida's scrotum.

You really think wind-energy jobs is a winning platform to run on in Iowa?.

Yes.

Iowa is a leading U.S. state in wind power generation with 27.4% of the state's electricity generation coming from wind in 2013.[1][2] At the end of 2013, wind power in Iowa had 5,137 megawatts (MW) of capacity, third only to Texas and California.[3] 15,752 Million kWh of electrical energy was generated by wind powered generators in 2013.[4]

Windpower industry[edit]
A number of companies involved in the windpower industry have office or manufacturing facilities in Iowa. Blades for wind turbines are manufactured in Newton by TPI Composites and in Fort Madison by Siemens. Turbines are manufactured in West Branch by Acciona. Towers are also manufactured in Newton by Trinity Structural Towers. Companies manufacturing other parts for wind turbines are located in Iowa as well.[31]

In addition to manufacturing, various companies support the development of wind power projects.[31] The wind power industry employs 6,000 to 7,000 people in Iowa.[32] Nearly $10 billion has been invested in Iowa's wind power projects and manufacturing facilities.[32]

In late September 2007, Siemens Power Generation opened its new wind turbine blade factory in Fort Madison, on the banks of the Mississippi River. The factory can produce more than 2000 blades annually.[33] A plant expansion in 2008 brought the facility up to nearly 600,000 square feet, up from 310,000. The facility manufactures 148-foot (45 m)-long, 12-ton blades for the company's 2.3-MW wind turbines installed in the United States.[34]

The Iowa Office of Energy Independence (OEI) is tasked with determining policy and setting goals towards renewable energy production. The office seeks to coordinate efforts between industry, community leaders, state and local government, and educational institutions to achieve energy policy goals.[31]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Iowa

Criticizing wind is one of the things that caused Romney to lose Iowa.

It is a big industry, but Ernst has promised to support RFS in congress. There's not much traction to be gained there (Braley has tried).

I'd say she is lying . . . and then link her to the Koch Brothers who've done all sorts of anti-wind things and point out that that she's a climate change denier, etc.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/10/republican-admits-why-republicans-hate-obamacare.html

“We’re looking at Obamacare right now. Once we start with those benefits in January, how are we going to get people off of those? It’s exponentially harder to remove people once they’ve already been on those programs…we rely on government for absolutely everything. And in the years since I was a small girl up until now into my adulthood with children of my own, we have lost a reliance on not only our own families, but so much of what our churches and private organizations used to do. They used to have wonderful food pantries. They used to provide clothing for those that really needed it. But we have gotten away from that. Now we’re at a point where the government will just give away anything.”

Nuke Iowa if Ernst wins.

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah a "right mind" requires you to believe an independent agency with no oversight by anyone, its own permanent funding source and expansive regulatory powers will never use any of it for the benefit of the people in its class.

And certainly nobody on Wall Street would seek to profit off of these powers and the people who once wielded them...
Peter Carroll helped shape the mortgage regulations at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau until this spring. Now, Carroll is senior vice president of capital markets at Wells Fargo Home Mortgages, the largest private mortgage lender in the country.

Carroll’s colleague, Lisa Applegate, was the “Mortgage Implementation Lead,” at CFPB, and now she’s “strategic quality manager within Wells' home lending capital markets group,” according to American Banker magazine.

Carroll’s replacement at CFPB, Patricia McClung, was recently at the National Association of Realtors (one of the largest lobbying groups in the country), and for years was an executive at failed mortgage giant Freddie Mac.

Many of those people are now “mak[ing] lots more money somewhere else,” and monetizing their “public service.” On the arcadian banks of the C&O Canal in finest Georgetown sits the office of Fenway Summer, a fortunate son of the CFPB.

Raj Date was at CFPB at its founding and served as its deputy director. In 2013, Date founded Fenway Summer, which, according to its website, “uses extensive regulatory, industry, and capital markets expertise to provide unique counsel” to financial firms.

Date brought with him CFPB’s chief of staff, Garry Reader; assistant director of mortgage markets Chris Haspel; senior counsel in the office of regulations Mitch Hockberg; plus CFPB staffers Marla Blow, Alison Miller and Sean O’Mealia. The firm’s website lists 14 employees, meaning half of the team comes from the CFPB.

Besides navigating the complexity they created, Fenway Summer profits from market opportunities created by CFPB rules. Fenway Summer this April acquired a mortgage firm, Ethos Lending, which will fill a market niche — so-called non-qualified mortgages — which many banks have exited, thanks to a combination of Dodd-Frank regulations.

Plenty of other CFPB officials have cashed out. Ronald Rubin was an enforcement attorney in the Fair Lending division. Now he’s at the law firm Hunton & Williams, where he “focuses on CFPB and SEC enforcement investigations and litigation, regulatory examinations, and white collar criminal defense,” according to the firm’s website.

Leonard Chanin was assistant director of CFPB’s Office of Regulations, now he “counsels financial institutions on consumer financial services law issues,” at the law firm Morrison Foerster, according to the firm's website.

Other CFPB alumni now serving the financial industry include Catherine West at Promontory Financial, John Tonetti at JPMorgan Chase, Bart Shapiro at Offit Kurman, Neil Peretz at BillFloat, and Benjamin Olson at BuckleySandler.
And it certainly wouldn't use its power in a manipulative fashion...
Two more employees at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau came forward Wednesday to tell of their experiences with alleged financial mismanagement, operational incompetence, discrimination and retaliation in what was the third in a series of hearings on discrimination at the CFPB.

The two CFPB employees – current bank examiner in the enforcement and fair lending division Ali Naraghi, and former quality monitor in the office of consumer response, Kevin Williams – were subpoenaed to testify.

The two testified before Congress about a “culture of intimidation and retaliation” at the agency and raised allegations of mistreatment in the workplace.

Naraghi is an enthusiastic and idealistic public servant who said he answered the call of Elizabeth Warren’s vision for what the CFPB could be.

“I believe that the root cause of the problems I have encountered at the bureau is management’s lack of accountability. The only consistent thing about CFPB management is its inconsistency,” he said. “I am the naturalized U.S. citizen that bureau management referred to as an ‘f***ing foreigner.’

Naraghi said that the CFPB has hired inexperienced managers whose only qualification appears to him to be personal or other connections to bureau hiring officials.

He also testified about gross mismanagement that wastes taxpayer funds.

“For example, in the Southeast Region, about 50-75 examiners were kept at their homes, essentially without work to perform for eight months between approximately September 2011 through May of 2012. In my opinion, this was one of many examples of wasting taxpayers’ funds due to supervision management’s incompetence,” he told the subcommittee.

Most ominous for those dealing with the CFPB from the outside, Naraghi testified under oath that the CFPB favors “results-oriented examinations” where CFPB executives decided at the outset to find a violation even if none were identified.

“I worked on an examination for three weeks reviewing 52 mortgage modification applications, and did not find any violation. The field manager told me that I must not have done my job right because I did not identify any violations,” Naraghi said. “Others in my team were told to expand their sample size if no violations are identified in their initial sample. This is contrary to sampling procedures of the FFIEC and prudential regulators. There is no statistically sound rationale in conducting examinations in this manner.”

Now including free bonus racism with purchase!
Williams was part of the group referred to by management at the CFPB as “The Plantation.”

“My experience at the CFPB was reminiscent of past eras of injustice, cronyism, discrimination, and retaliation. The events that transpired at the bureau occurred because basic measures were not in place to properly supervise its untested management,” Williams testified.

“Unfortunately, I was a charter member in the Intake unit, which, indeed, came to be referred to as the ‘Plantation.’ There, I personally witnessed and was the victim of racial discrimination perpetrated by black as well as white managers,” Williams said. “The unit was dubbed the Plantation because when we started, the majority of black employees were assigned to Intake, which was basically data entry.

“The Plantation is where black women and white men oversee a unit of black employees who are never considered or groomed for management despite their competitive qualifications,” Williams said. “Bureau management excluded them from the outset as part of a strategy of domination, and completely deprived them of any meaningful opportunity for advancement.”

At an April 2 subcommittee hearing, Angela Martin, a current CFPB employee, testified about the discrimination and retaliation she experienced at CFPB.

Misty Raucci, an outside investigator retained by CFPB to examine Ms. Martin’s claims of retaliation, testified that Ms. Martin’s claims were valid.

Raucci also testified that a culture of exclusion, retaliation and collusion is pervasive throughout the division of CFPB in which Martin worked, the Office of Consumer Response.

Nice reviews, I'm applying as we speak: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/CFPB-Reviews-E472782.htm

Oblivion

please for the love of god nobody engage him more on this than I've done right here. nobody in their right mind thinks the CFPB is a tool of the elite or wall street.

Well, after saying this, we kinda have to now, don't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom