• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut [Up: Off-Screen play confirmed]

Exeunt

Sounds better than expected, but I'd still be amazed if it shifted units in more than tens of thousands. For me personally, there might be some extremely minor temptation if there were Wiimote controls, but zero without.

I'm glad to hear that there is presumably some effort going into this port as well, though I agree it sounds like there won't be any pointer controls since they're just focussing on the GamePad. I'd definitely be more inclined to pick this up if pointer controls were included, but I'll admit that I'm more interested than I was before.

Also the bosses in the vanilla game weren't that broken for hackers and stealthers once you figured them out.

Barrett
can be defeated in a couple minutes or less if you look around the environment,
Federova
is made a lot easier with certain stealth and exploration oriented augments,
Namir
can be more easily taken down without the glitch using certain stealth augments and a certain hacking one if you're really inventive, and
Zhao
can be beaten almost totally through hacking or through alternate methods.

dwu8991

Banned
I'm glad to hear that there is presumably some effort going into this port as well, though I agree it sounds like there won't be any pointer controls since they're just focussing on the GamePad. I'd definitely be more inclined to pick this up if pointer controls were included, but I'll admit that I'm more interested than I was before.

you can play metal gear style, no need shoot everyone

Exeunt

you can play metal gear style, no need shoot everyone

That's a nice option, and I take it that's why they're revamping the boss fights as well. I'd prefer pointer controls for first person games, but I can certainly make do with dual analogue like with Zombi U. The game's on my radar right now, to be sure.

krizzx

They'd be real assholes if they don't add these improvements to the other versions. I wouldn't mind paying for an "expansion" of sort.

Except for the graphical upgrades of course. You can't squeeze a brick through a straw. It would be like porting the PC textures of Most Wanted to the PS3 and 360 version. There are physical limitations there.

This brings me to my main point. If they don't take advantage of the Wii U's higher power, ie. make things that are simply not possible on the last gen consoles, then I will not buy this.

wsippel

Banned
Best looking of the console versions I assume?

Because the PC version is beastly.
It apparently has backports from Missing Link, so all the improvements previously seen in Missing Link are now used throughout the game. There's apparently a new fog system as well, though I don't know if that's completely new or something also found in Missing Link.

While it certainly can't match the PC version in terms of resolution, framerate or image quality, it apparently has some visual improvements over the PC version is other areas.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How is that even possible when no one knew about this game till today?

No one said that the Wii U version would be the best because of resolution or framerates, which PC will probably stay #1 at. Everything else(improved boss fights, AI, visuals, refined game balance, dev comments) could though.

Edit : Derrick, dont be an ass. I already said i was talking about gameplay improvements after this post, not the resolution or framerates, which is all you seem to care about.

Derrick01

Banned
It's possible only with straw-men.

(edit: unless he quotes someone on that accusation, in which case I rescind my cocky remark)

I know it hurts you to know that PC won't have the best version. Especially if Wii U has it. But you gotta accept the facts if this Director's Cut is not sold to the other platforms. Everything seems to be an improvement.

It's only a 7 page thread for christ's sake.

The Boat

I don't know if this will be the best version or not, but being the best isn't just about graphics. For example, I think the best version of Trine 2 is Wii U's because the gamepad is super useful not only for off-screen play but for the spells.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't know if this will be the best version or not, but being the best isn't just about graphics. For example, I think the best version of Trine 2 is Wii U's because the gamepad is super useful not only for off-screen play but for the spells.

It's about performance too. 60fps on top of the many graphical improvements the PC version offers, not to mention the ability to mod the color scheme as Dennis would show you if he could right now.

I know people want to go nuts over PR statements like improved gameplay and AI but I would be cautious. The one example that I saw listed was not what I would call an improvement at all, it was making the game even easier (2 energy bars recharging instead of the standard 1). So if that's the kind of stuff we're looking at with this then it's nothing to get excited over.

XenodudeX said:
Says "Nintendo fans here assured me this was the definitive version over the PC one as well."

Only lists one person as an example

You should buy bigger brushes

You should buy reading comprehension. The person I responded to said "unless he quotes someone"

XenodudeX

It's only a 7 page thread for christ's sake.

Says "Nintendo fans here assured me this was the definitive version over the PC one as well."

Only lists one person as an example

You should buy bigger brushes. That and learn the difference between singular and plural.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You should buy reading comprehension. The person I responded to said "unless he quotes someone"

Yeah, but you should actually quote someone who said that the Wii U would be the best looking version. Because I didn't say that. I don't know how many times i have to repeat myself before it gets into your head. =/

I mean, i posted that it could be the best because of gameplay improvements, then later someone ask for an example of someone saying its the best looking version, and you quote me? I... what?

It's about performance too. 60fps on top of the many graphical improvements the PC version offers, not to mention the ability to mod the color scheme as Dennis would show you if he could right now.

I know people want to go nuts over PR statements like improved gameplay and AI but I would be cautious. The one example that I saw listed was not what I would call an improvement at all, it was making the game even easier (2 energy bars recharging instead of the standard 1). So if that's the kind of stuff we're looking at with this then it's nothing to get excited over.

Dude chill out. I am sure no one is falling for the PR, but we are excited, even more so if you have not picked up the game on other platforms like myself.

As usual I will need the PR talk to be backed out by a fellow gaffer who plays the game or a good reviewer.

Raven77

Owners of the Wii U better get used to this kind of thing.

With technical stats on par with the 360 and PS3 you're basically going to be stuck with "enhanced versions" of old games and crappy versions of new games.

Still not sure what the Big N was thinking...they need a new captain at the helm.

The Boat

I don't see many (any?) people here fawning about this blindly like you suggest, which is why my point was generic rather than talking about particulars that we don't have. Certain features might be more than enough for someone to consider X the ultimate version of a game, it doesn't have to do with graphics and performance.

pixlexic

Banned

With technical stats on par with the 360 and PS3 you're basically going to be stuck with "enhanced versions" of old games and crappy versions of new games.

Still not sure what the Big N was thinking...they need a new captain at the helm.

Yes because games like watchdogs couldn't possibly be ported to the wii u.

jmls1121

Banned
Nintendo fans here assured me this was the definitive version over the PC one as well.

The poster never said he was a Nintendo fan, and he was talking about the definitive version overall, not solely in the graphical department.

Anyways, came in to enjoy the Derrick01 salt, and did not leave disappointed.

Raven77

Yes because games like watchdogs couldn't possibly be ported to the wii u.

?

I clearly said they better get used to crappy versions of new games. Yes, crappy when compared to the PS4 / PC / 720 versions which will logically be far more advanced graphically and possibly game play wise than the Wii U version.

I'm really only talking graphics here. I truly don't think many developers outside of Nintendo will use the controller in very interesting ways.

I'm a PC gamer who fawns over 60FPS and native 1080p and honestly Derrick is annoying me. So yeah, he's being pissy.

That said, my Wii U needs some love, and somehow I never actually played this game, so if it doesn't drop to like 20fps at any point where I need it, I'll probably wait and pick this up. Was actually considering getting it in the near future, so this works out perfectly. I plan on playing stealth so stick controls won't be a bother.

nekomix

What's your point exactly? Obviously it will have enhanced versions of PS360 games and worse versions of PS4/720/PC... What? You were looking for a console in PS4/720 range that was released in 2012 at 300$?

The poster never said he was a Nintendo fan, and he was talking about the definitive version overall, not solely in the graphical department.

Anyways, came in to enjoy the Derrick01 salt, and did not leave disappointed.

i don't know how someone can be salty if they played the exact same game 2 years ago. "not the same game" i guess.

Raven77

What's your point exactly? Obviously it will have enhanced versions of PS360 games and worse versions of PS4/720/PC... What? You were looking for a console in PS4/720 range that was released in 2012 at 300$?

Its a forum, i'm discussing this game and that Wii U owners should get used to more of these types of things. Not sure whats so hard to understand.

I just played through the PS3 version a month or so ago, which was also my first brush with the franchise. Definitely in my top 5 of the generation, Nintendo only gamers really need to experience this gem.

PhantomR

Banned
?

I clearly said they better get used to crappy versions of new games. Yes, crappy when compared to the PS4 / PC / 720 versions which will logically be far more advanced graphically and possibly game play wise than the Wii U version.

I'm really only talking graphics here. I truly don't think many developers outside of Nintendo will use the controller in very interesting ways.

Well, we'll see. Need For Speed Most Wanted U says otherwise. Developers are now FINALLY working with finished and complete Wii U dev kits. Let's wait and see what they'll be able to come up with.

AND NO I'M NOT SAYING THAT WII U IS GRAPHICALLY ON PAR WITH PS4/720. What I'm saying is that we haven't seen what the Wii U is fully capable of yet and Need For Speed shows this. I'm confident we will get some really gorgeous Wii U games later this year and for years to come.

majik13

Its a forum, i'm discussing this game and that Wii U owners should get used to more of these types of things. Not sure whats so hard to understand.

its not really different than what many console gamers already experience for a long while now. It is basically the same thing as saying

"ps360 owners should get used to getting watered down ports of pc games." albeit with WiiU currently, you can tack on "old, but enhanced"

Raven77

its not really different than what many console gamers already experience for a long while now.

ps360 owners should get used to getting watered down ports of pc games.

Touche and quite right. This is the biggest reason I'm excited for next gen. I just wish Nintendo would have put out more powerful hardware to keep up with these changes.

majik13

Touche and quite right. This is the biggest reason I'm excited for next gen. I just wish Nintendo would have put out more powerful hardware to keep up with these changes.

but do we really need 3 similar consoles? ps4/720 will serve that bleeding tech console market just fine, if it does exists.
It is nice having a third option that also looks to innovate in other areas than just raw power, and at a middle price point. Nintendo games in general have never needed raw power to be popular or successful.

The system just needs games, and hopefully it pays off for them in the end.

majik13

I'll say it until Im' heard.

No Wiimote controls, no buy.

that would be interesting. I havent played the game, but does wiimote controls seem like a plausible addition?

I always found games that require many complex actions and buttons dont always translate over well to wiimote, with its unergonomic or lacking button placement.

If I had to choose, I would prefer off tv play. But both would be nice options.

DrWong

Don't know if it's been reported here but the FR website Gameblog played this version of the game and confirmed the Off TV Play option.

Possibilité de jouer uniquement sur le Gamepad (l'interface est alors en grande partie réintégrée comme dans les versions précédentes, tout en restant tactile)

Also, they say we can not only annotate the map on the Gamepad, but also add/register vocal annotations with the Gamepad mic. and share it via Miiverse.

There's a NewGame+ mode.

They also say the Wii U version is visually cleaner than the PS360 version with better AA.

Also the bosses in the vanilla game weren't that broken for hackers and stealthers once you figured them out.

Barrett
can be defeated in a couple minutes or less if you look around the environment,
Federova
is made a lot easier with certain stealth and exploration oriented augments,
Namir
can be more easily taken down without the glitch using certain stealth augments and a certain hacking one if you're really inventive, and
Zhao
can be beaten almost totally through hacking or through alternate methods.
I just used typhoon.

I'd love pointer controls in every game, but I doubt it'll happen. If the Wii remote/chuck combo had like, 3 more buttons it'd be much more plausible.

majik13

Don't know if it's been reported here but the FR website Gameblog played this version of the game and confirmed the Off TV Play option.

Also, they say we can not only annotate the map on the Gamepad, but also add/register vocal annotations with the Gamepad mic. and share it via Miiverse.

There's a NewGame+ mode.

They also say the Wii U version is visually cleaner than the PS360 version with better AA.

sweet if true. every multiplat should have off tv play, even if the game is enhanced with gamepad features.

majik13

I'd love pointer controls in every game, but I doubt it'll happen. If the Wii remote/chuck combo had like, 3 more buttons it'd be much more plausible.

yep, I was really hoping that wiiu would have also introduced a better wiimote, that was only designed for single hand use, and not gimped by having to serve double duty as an nes controller like the current model.

(and a wireless nunchuck with a click-able stick)

yep, I was really hoping that wiiu would have also introduced a better wiimote, that was only designed for single hand use, and not gimped by having to serve double duty as an nes controller like the current model.

Same. I would so buy this game if it had pointer controls.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Annoyed at the "no off-tv, no sale" comments, I hope that's not indicative what people want out of their WiiU. Tbh, fuck off-TV support if that leads to developers not making good use of the two screens.

If you want a handheld with good graphics, go buy a Vita or some shit, I don't know.

Totally agree. "I CAN NOT PLAY ON MY BIG HDTV" isn't a selling point for big, immersive games like this, and it makes the game being on the WiiU totally pointless. It'd be like a DS game completely blacking out one of the system's screens.

Anyways, I'll double dip on this. The tweaks sound interesting, and I'm a sucker for developer commentary in games that I love. HR was my GOTY in 2011

Top Bottom