• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

apana

Those Resident Evil screens are amazing, I have never seen stuff like this on a handheld before. I think the 3DS is going to have a very long life span, probably 8-10 years.

vall03

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
So long as I get a slew of quality JRPG's, I'm happy regardless of specs!

this for me, as long as I like the software, I dont see any reason to bitch about specs...

Patriots7

If by some chance the PSP2 is more technologically advanced than the 3DS, exactly what would it be comparable to? Developers are already saying that 3DS graphics are comparable to the PS3/360...Or would it be at a point where there's no discernible difference between the two even if the PSP2 comes out much later with better specs?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
nincompoop said:
Underwhelming specs. Isn't the GPU they're using only capable of 15M raw polygons/second at 200MHz? So at 133 it'll only be capable of 10M. That's less than a third of what the 6-year-old PSP is capable of BTW. I don't give a shit about what shaders they're using if everything looks as blocky as a Dreamcast game.
jrzite.gif

So this basically confirms that the 'saving full-games to HDD' is false, because that HDD is way to small, and I cannot see Nintendo allowing us to save to the SD card

antonz

Patriots7 said:
If by some chance the PSP2 is more technologically advanced than the 3DS, exactly what would it be comparable to? Developers are already saying that 3DS graphics are comparable to the PS3/360...Or would it be at a point where there's no discernible difference between the two even if the PSP2 comes out much later with better specs?

For the PSP2 to take a major leap over the 3DS they would basically have to kill battery life bigtime and even then the best the PSP2 could really hope to do would be more detailed textures and such.

The 3DS is really at this point probably near the peak hardware for long battery life until future hardware upgrades deal with power consumption etc.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Blu_LED said:
So this basically confirms that the 'saving full-games to HDD' is false, because that HDD is way to small, and I cannot see Nintendo allowing us to save to the SD card

not really. you can stream for an SD card for the Wii. it's not too far-fetched

Linkup

nincompoop said:
Underwhelming specs. Isn't the GPU they're using only capable of 15M raw polygons/second at 200MHz? So at 133 it'll only be capable of 10M. That's less than a third of what the 6-year-old PSP is capable of BTW. I don't give a shit about what shaders they're using if everything looks as blocky as a Dreamcast game.

What if they could use those shaders and make thingys look all smooth but use fewer polygons? I wish tech like that existed =(

spons said:
It's as poor as 4 to almost 5 year old consoles can be. In the least it's just much worse than it could've been. Current MP3 players have better hardware than the 3DS which is supposed to be used for the next 5 years.
I don't follow. The thing has been described as related to the current 360/PS3. Is that unacceptable? What do you expect for a system that will more than likely retail for around $200? Is that seriously unacceptable even for the next 5-6 years in a portable setting? Did you expect them to exceed comparisons to the current (and extremely high-powered) home console generation?

In all honesty, after seeing the games, I was worried about two things: the retail price and the battery life. After seeing the specs, I'm not worried anymore, and I'm not sure why I ever was. Nintendo are ignorant about a lot of things, but designing a portable game machine is something they do exceptionally intelligently.

Nintendo has yet to let me down with their handheld systems. None of them were particularly cutting edge tech for their time, yet they've always kicked the shit out of the competition. A sense of novelty, a solid battery life, and fun pick up and play software are what it ultimately boils down to. I expect the 3DS to deliver on all those fronts.

Linkup said:
What if they could use those shaders and make thingys look all smooth but use fewer polygons? I wish tech like that existed =(
Normal mapping can be used to fake polygonal detail on character models (though it's still pretty obvious that the models are poly-starved when you see them up close), but they can't be used to fake geometrically complex enviornments. The 3DS doesn't even have enough raw polygon power to run the original Jak & Daxter in wireframe mode with all textures and effects turned off.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
nincompoop said:

To put this into a little bit of perspective, I Google'd some supposed stats and;

Sony's PSP: 33 million 'theoretical' polys per second.
Nintendo's GCN: 12 million polys per second peak.

Since its blatantly obvious that the PSP does not push the same amount of triangles as the GameCube, I wouldn't put too weight behind reported PSP vs 3DS numbers.

Ranger X

I wonder what some people here need. You want something that would play portable Crysis maxed out at 120fps? :lol

The 3DS is plenty enough. (although RAM is always underestimated in all console ever released)

Boney

Banned
ILikeFeet said:
not really. you can stream for an SD card for the Wii. it's not too far-fetched
It copies them to the system memory for maximum efficiency..

If that's indeed the capacity, you can bet your precious little feet that you won't be able to copy physical games to the system. The PSP GO, although failed because of an entirely different scenario, doesn't inspire much confidence as well.

EatChildren said:
To put this into a little bit of perspective, I Google'd some supposed stats and;

Sony's PSP: 33 million 'theoretical' polys per second.
Nintendo's GCN: 12 million polys per second peak.

Since its blatantly obvious that the PSP does not push the same amount of triangles as the GameCube, I wouldn't put too weight behind reported PSP vs 3DS numbers.
That Gamecube figure was only an estimate. There were plenty of GC games that far exceeded that number, even at launch (Rogue Leader). Nintendo never released the Gamecube's raw polygon limit but it was probably in line with the PS2's (~66 million).

jercruz

awww, though 64MB of RAM is generous enough from nintendo. i was hoping for 128MB and maybe 8MB video RAM. but still its good.

edit: is the price difference between 64MB and 128MB really that big? what about the internal storage? 4GB micro-sd are so cheap nowadays.

antonz said:
For the PSP2 to take a major leap over the 3DS they would basically have to kill battery life bigtime and even then the best the PSP2 could really hope to do would be more detailed textures and such.

The 3DS is really at this point probably near the peak hardware for long battery life.
You bring up a really good point. Until the dawn of the consumer-level lithium ion battery, the capacity of 12V AA batteries and the power draw of the hardware were the limiting factors when it came to handheld devices. Why do you think the Gameboy managed to hold on for so very long despite all the competitors? Battery life rendered the others unusable.

The result was that colour displays and more powerful processors weren't successful in the handheld space until the price of colour displays went down in the late 90s and improved hardware could be called upon to not drain the power in a matter of minutes, hence the 12 year lifespan of the Gameboy. We could be at the edge of another plateau in terms of what is possible on handhelds with the current tech, at least until battery tech improves again.

sorry gaf, hate to break it to you, but if you're gonna be crying about the "omg but it should be an actual 360 with hdmi output to screenzors quality 3d" then wtf

a lot of you could not afford an unlocked iphone 4 (around 800 bucks).

but you're still bitching about: price, graphics, and best of all, comparing it to the 800 dollars machine.

i'm kinda dumbfounded by this.

i actually love the specs right now, and knowing that it's a nintendo, then i'm ok. i've owned a ds and it still looks awesome.

i know the 3ds will be the same.

i also own a psp. and it still looks awesome. the psp2 will be the same.

saying that, if you're gonna be bitching about things that you (a player) won't be able to take advantage of (ram, vram {as you are not developers}), then, why bitch?

i might as well bitch that this is gonna have an sd port (omg probably not sdhc so 2 gig limitz omg my warezsors!) and 1.5 gigs internal storage (for the user).

just my view here, will probably get banned again. hope i didn't used any of the "forbidden words".

now i have to dispose of all my cigarretes butts. stupid smoking habit, 1 a day for a month and it fucks up your desk, god dammit.

edit: oh, btw, i modded my game gear to use a couple of white leds instead of the flourecent lamp, been playing around 30 minutes a day for a week nd still going strn on the same 6 fry's alkaline batteries. will update with the final time if anyone cares.

Massa

Ranger X said:
I wonder what some people here need. You want something that would play portable Crysis maxed out at 120fps? :lol

The 3DS is plenty enough. (although RAM is always underestimated in all console ever released)

Crysis? Not at all, but a higher resolution screen and second analog nub would have been nice.

Boney

Banned
ILikeFeet said:
With the way this gen is going, I wouldn't be surprised to see decade long handheld gens
As awesome as those days were, they are past us. Technology advances too quickcly, and there are many different parties that could use that to their advantage.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Boney said:
As awesome as those days were, they are past us. Technology advances too quickcly, and there are many different parties that could use that to their advantage.
Bleh, longer gens would be nice. Although I wouldn't be thinking this last gen or the gen before that. This one felt like it moved way too fast.

Boney

Banned
ILikeFeet said:
Bleh, longer gens would be nice. Although I wouldn't be thinking this last gen or the gen before that. This one felt like it moved way too fast.
Life moves so fast now :*(

Boney said:
Battery tech doesn't. It is very difficult to store energy efficiently.

Mako_Drug

Blu_LED said:

I don't see how it could work from an anti-piracy point of view. What would stop you sharing a cart with your friends and all just playing off the internal storage? some kind of online authentication system? Because that isn't going to happen.

It seems like that would encourage or at least make it easier to pirate them if it didn't require the physical media.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Boney said:
Life moves so fast now :*(
Not fast enough. The 29th is still 7 days away! How are nerds supposed to pass time until then? I can only sleep so much and ask mom to buy me cheesy poofs for so long!

Boney

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Battery tech doesn't. It is very difficult to store energy efficiently.
Maybe... if 3DS can have a DSi batery life, I can see something similar like that on a few years, although I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. What about the iPhones and iPods.. don't those have really crappy battery lifes for movies and games?

Serenade said:
Not fast enough. The 29th is still 7 days away! How are nerds supposed to pass time until then? I can only sleep so much and ask mom to buy me cheesy poofs for so long!
I feel like I'm losing my mind here!

nincompoop said:

2132425047view.jpg

soulcaliburbrokendestin.jpg

No dude... just no. Have you even seen screenshots for any of the 3DS games? If you haven't, check them out and you'll see this is above the PSP in every way.

First-gen 3DS fighter already outclasses a late-gen PSP fighter in both shaders, textures, and poly count.

Curiously, if this rumour is true, then the one that stated that the 3DS was using a Marvell ARMADA based SoC isn't, since Marvell has its own custom ARM core and doesn't license the ARM11. But if that's the case, then who the hell is the Marvell partner that's buying up all those ARMADA chips to launch a new gaming device?

loosus

Banned
As far as the hardware is concerned, I would be more worried about...

--The viewing angle of the screens. (Even being small screens, a wider viewing angle helps alleviate those white and black spots that many LCDs exhibit.)

--The refresh rate of the screens. (This was not a huge problem with DS, but it was downright annoying with PSP. I hope Nintendo doesn't skimp here.)

--Color banding. This should no longer exist.

--The solidarity of the polygons. I'm sure this will no longer be a problem, but the polygons on DS were all over the place like on the PS1.

--Battery life. It really needs a solid 8 hours, with the volume wide open, the brightness of the screens on midway, and a relatively taxing game.

Jon of the Wired said:
Curiously, if this rumour is true, then the one that stated that the 3DS was using a Marvell ARMADA based SoC isn't, since Marvell has its own custom ARM core and doesn't license the ARM11. But if that's the case, then who the hell is the Marvell partner that's buying up all those ARMADA chips to launch a new gaming device?

Phantom Portable.

Pimpbaa

Boney said:
What about the iPhones and iPods.. don't those have really crappy battery lifes for movies and games?

Yeah. The ipad can last as long as a DSi in games, but the battery in that thing is huge.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
riceandbeans said:
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/127/2132425047view.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8058/soulcaliburbrokendestin.jpg[IMG]

No dude... just no. Have you even seen screenshots for any of the 3DS games? If you haven't, check them out and you'll see this is above the PSP in every way.

First-gen 3DS fighter already outclasses a late-gen PSP fighter in both shaders, textures, and poly count.[/QUOTE]
Jesus, I forgot how good SC psp looked. But now I remember how much the shadows in that game sucked :lol

[quote=Boney]
I feel like I'm losing my mind here![/quote]I lost my mind long ago.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Jon of the Wired said:
MS with Kinect.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Segata Sanshiro said:
In all honesty, after seeing the games, I was worried about two things: the retail price and the battery life. After seeing the specs, I'm not worried anymore, and I'm not sure why I ever was. Nintendo are ignorant about a lot of things, but designing a portable game machine is something they do exceptionally intelligently.

we dont talk about the Virtualboy, it doesn't exist , lah lah i can't hear you !!

ILikeFeet said:
Dude I'm 18.

Also, the wait for the 3DS reveals is painfully slow :(
Yeah, you've hit the point now where the years are going to slip away from you. Summers will pass and birthdays will pass and you'll hit the New Year and go "Where the fuck did the year go?"

Soon old injuries will hurt again, you won't be able to outrun the kids quite so well, your hair will develop some gray and thin out, and your hairline will recede. Dreams and ambitions will continue to be pushed back to another day, and finally you'll wake up one morning and realize you lost your youth and you're going to be dead soon.

GO POKEMON!

antonz

jufonuk said:
we dont talk about the Virtualboy, it doesn't exist , lah lah i can't hear you !!
Really isnt a portable machine since it required sitting at a table etc for the unit to rest on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom