• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

RMI

Banned
Added. I'm a total noob but if you wanna play sometime let me know

added back, have been super busy lately and haven't had a chance to get online but hopefully next week I'll get back to it and add some of the other people in this thread too.

MIMIC

Banned
Oh snap! I didn't know USF4 had trials for the new cast. Guess I found something to pass the time. Kinda sucks how I have to slug through everyone else's (AGAIN) just to get 100% (again, lol) but oh well.

Ryu....complete! =p

Laws00

i'd like to thank the sfv beta for fucking me up with any last skill that i had left in usf4

my god. going back between the 2

trying to focus in sf5 cant. trying to lighting legs can't press a kick button repeatedly. cant do chun lis axe kick

omg im going crazy

Trickster

Fuck this I give up trying to play cammy. I can't open up anyone with her. They just sit and hold down back and tech throws and there nothing I can do about it

pizzacat

Banned
I need someone to practice my stick play, not going to play right now but soonish probably tomorrow.

My psn id is Peetzacat or Pizzacat idk anymore

Fuck this I give up trying to play cammy. I can't open up anyone with her. They just sit and hold down back and tech throws and there nothing I can do about it

wat. shes the human can opener
next to Elena

Walk forward
block string
go for a back throw; they tech'd? okay

Walk forward
block string
go for the same pattern, they think you're gonna throw? ex dive kick get bopped

knocked down? get bopped
delayed wakeup? get bopped
quick stand? LOL get bopped
wake up uppercut? LOL full punish for trying

Now they're too scared to tech throws because of the ex dive kick, now lets go again

Walk forward
block string
go for a back throw; they didn't tech? get bopped

knocked down? get bopped

oh they blocked?

Walk forward
block string

Walk forward
block string

Marz

next to Elena

Walk forward
block string

Walk forward
block string

knocked down? get bopped

oh you blocked?

Walk forward
block string

Walk forward
block string

knocked down? get bopped

oh you blocked?

Negro plz every Cammy I've played since AE2012 finished is getting Tigers and Jaguars in ass.

Sfv beta has me resenting sf4 tbh.

I sort of feel the same way. The game just seems so much more honest and their are less moves that allow for yolo game play. So I'm not getting hit by random crazy shit as often. Jumps seem more floaty which makes them easier to anti-air. Heavy attacks have this big pause(and no push back) letting you know that you blocked it in case you weren't sure if you did.

The first match I played in SF4 yesterday after two days of SFV was against this crazy Gouken player who has a lot of points(2700pp) because he goes for random shit all day and I guess it keeps working. And I lost to it to because he kept rolling the dice on me and guessed right even though guessing wrong would make his move very punishable. Part of me thought "I'd love to play this guy in SFV and see just how he is going to get wins without the moves to go nuts all day".

I don't love everything about SFV either. I honestly miss certain things about SF4 when playing it. The early talk is that SFV is not a deep enough game and that their isn't much tech out there to discover. Part of me feels the same way after playing it up to this point. In the end I think I can continue enjoying both games.

mbpm1

The first match I played in SF4 yesterday after two days of SFV was against this crazy Gouken player who has a lot of points(2700pp) because he goes for random shit all day and I guess it keeps working. And I lost to it to because he kept rolling the dice on me and guessed right even though guessing wrong would make his move very punishable. Part of me thought "I'd love to play this guy in SFV and see just how he is going to get wins without the moves to go nuts all day".
Demon flip throw/sweep shenanigans too stronk.

Demon flip throw/sweep shenanigans too stronk.

I've actually played this guy quite a bit and he has never changed his play style. Here is a list of things he'll do

-Raw HP palms. He finally stopped when I punished it 3-4 times. But I guess he gets away with it a lot
-Neutral jumps on wake up and after he gets anti-air'd almost all the time until you hit him out of it too many times
-Mashes EX parry or tatsu during block strings(the mix ups oooh)
-Uses demon flip to attack a lot and will switch it up. Despite this not being a good idea, he will keep going for it.

As for how he won. I had a big life lead in the round but twice he went for demon flip parry twice to absorb my cr. HP because he had been using dive kick before. He did it up close where I'm not comfortable using DP because I'm focusing on the ground game. We were both near death and I had him knocked down. I forward jump over him to avoid EX tatsu and demon flip and figured I could punish if he neutral jump or parry'd. But the EX tatsu caught me when I had already jumped over to the other side.

In the past he would be around for rematches. But not this time, he was good with his win lol. I beat him most of the time but gimmicks will still always get me 1 out of every 3 or 4 matches. I'm always a bit flabbergasted when I run into these guys who win and win consistently even against decent players playing like this.

EDIT: I decided to play some USF4 and found him in Ranked again. I tried going into his room 3 times and every time I was waitng for like 15 seconds before it finally said I couldn't join? WTF is up with that? I'm legit salty because I wanted my run back. Oh well, at least we have some more SFV later today.

As Ryu player, how do you stop cross ups?

Their isn't a good answer to this honestly. Your choices are

1) Avoid putting yourself in that position
2) Focus dash. Unfortunately Ryu's dash doesn't move him far so he could still get hit by something as short as a light attack despite dashing out already.
3) Raw forward dash. Trying to do this on reaction is hard though.
4) Auto correct DP. Unfortunately this is just hard to do for most people when they're concentrating on the ground game in that close range where a forward jump could cross up.
5) Air to air(probably best with j. jab). Again, kind of hard to do when you're concentrating on the ground game. But I've seen many players, both good and average, put this to great use.

I would not recommend using cr. HP against cross ups unless you're sure it will hit. It can stop cross ups, but only the ones that barely go over your head. Cross ups that clear your head will avoid Ryu's cr. HP and you'll eat a full jump in combo.

I don't love everything about SFV either. I honestly miss certain things about SF4 when playing it. The early talk is that SFV is not a deep enough game and that their isn't much tech out there to discover. Part of me feels the same way after playing it up to this point. In the end I think I can continue enjoying both games.
Honestly I doubt anyone knows shit about the game at this point. There's gonna be a bunch of other characters and this probably isn't what the final game will play like. People were wrong as fuck about SF4 before being able to sink time into it.

There's a lot I hope they do change about SF5 though. I want it as far away from playing like SF4 as possible. I've suffered with this game for long enough.

Imm0rt4l

I sort of feel the same way. The game just seems so much more honest and their are less moves that allow for yolo game play. So I'm not getting hit by random crazy shit as often. Jumps seem more floaty which makes them easier to anti-air. Heavy attacks have this big pause(and no push back) letting you know that you blocked it in case you weren't sure if you did.

Yeah strangely enough I do appreciate some aspects of usf4 more now. I'm not sure that sfv will have as much of a spectacle aspect, I was watching this hasegawa vs poongko match, and I feel we won't see anything like that in sfv. Like you said there may be less depth(and I'm not even talking combos, I'm sure combo ability is lessened greatly). But that's from a cursory understanding of the game, gotta let the game fully develop and people breakdown the game before I can give an informed opinion.

Let me know if you wanna practice the gouken match sometime.

Yeah strangely enough I do appreciate some aspects of usf4 more now. I'm not sure that sfv will have as much of a spectacle aspect, I was watching this hasegawa vs poongko match, and I feel we won't see anything like that in sfv. Like you said there may be less depth(and I'm not even talking combos, I'm sure combo ability is lessened greatly). But that's from a cursory understanding of the game, gotta let the game fully develop and people breakdown the game before I can give an informed opinion.

Let me know if you wanna practice the gouken match sometime.
Yah 16 characters will feel like a struggle too. I was kind of getting bored of Nash already in the beta. People really like to shit on FADCs but I liked the mechanic.. SFV needs wall bounces too..

Marz

Focus attack was amazing for the combo extension aspect of it...spend some resources for some more damage.

But as far as making reversals safe, absorbing fireballs for Ultra meter, and raw focus to blow up footsies I'm not a fan.

stn

Focus attack was amazing for the combo extension aspect of it...spend some resources for some more damage.

But as far as making reversals safe, absorbing fireballs for Ultra meter, and raw focus to blow up footsies I'm not a fan.
I like you. Could not agree more.

Imm0rt4l

Yah 16 characters will feel like a struggle too. I was kind of getting bored of Nash already in the beta. People really like to shit on FADCs but I liked the mechanic.. SFV needs wall bounces too..
I like FADC for the most part, makes for great combo extensions. I hate the focus system in general though, especially compounded with invincible and obnoxious back dashes like Chun and rose.

16 characters is meh, hopefully the updates roll in quickly.

Edit: beaten

Das it mane

Trickster

next to Elena

Walk forward
block string

Walk forward
block string

knocked down? get bopped

Now they're too scared to tech throws because of the ex dive kick, now lets go again

Walk forward
block string

knocked down? get bopped

oh they blocked?

Walk forward
block string

Walk forward
block string

So basically, just play perfect, never get hit, guess right all the game, tech perfectly and just rely on enemy to be shit. I'll just go do that

GoaThief

glad I could help :D
He's kind of right I guess, basically mix up your stuff and play the opponent instead of just the character. You could add any variations of your own. Footsies I guess?

My main problem is execution of anything, I'm just not that clean when I want to be fast and relatively new to taking FGs more seriously. Just got a RAP4 Kai so that's a step in the right direction, anyone got training tips for the execution side?

On a more lighthearted note, GAF's own Marvel had a meeting with karmic justice fairly recently;

https://youtu.be/K9lt_M_GEDI

Blame Kowboy, he wanted it on GAF <3

mbpm1

Came across alstein yesterday

First match he was T-hawk and I played with as much disrespect as I could get away with (U2 in footsies lawl) and won.

Second match he played Rose and I tamped it down and eventually lost.

Strange thing happened yesterday, and excuse the thread necromancy, but, I grabbed a nearly free copy of Super SSF4AE from a bargain bin yesterday, came home, redeemed the key on Steam which showed up as SSF4AE for GFWL Redeem Code, and then the game entered my library as Ultra Street Fighter 4.. Is this normal? I was pleasantly surprised!

Kaleinc

Banned
Strange thing happened yesterday, and excuse the thread necromancy, but, I grabbed a nearly free copy of Super SSF4AE from a bargain bin yesterday, came home, redeemed the key on Steam which showed up as SSF4AE for GFWL Redeem Code, and then the game entered my library as Ultra Street Fighter 4.. Is this normal? I was pleasantly surprised!
Yes, this is capcom's gimmick, you still have AE and Ultra content is available as DLC.

next to Elena

Walk forward
block string

Walk forward
block string

knocked down? get bopped

Walk forward
block string

knocked down? get bopped

oh they blocked?

Walk forward
block string

Walk forward
block string

This is how I play when I start a match with EX bars already. Infinite ones.

Laws00

Is Ultra 4 still wonky for PS4 or is it just me?

My friend swears i'm just crazy for thinking it is.

I'd much rather play on my Xbox still

vg260

How do I claim the free Halloween costumes?

They are only free in Japan for those who got into the lastest beta test there. It was a closed test and wasn't open to everyone there. You had to apply to get in. Everyone just assumed they would be free everywhere else, but they were never announced as free for any other region.

Anyone still play this game?

I've started playing again. I basically took a month and a half break from this game. Partially because I got burned out again and partially because the NFL season began. It's been long enough, I'm hungry to play again. We don't have much time left with this game until SFV comes out. Crazy to think that we're less than 5 months away from that reality now.

They are only free in Japan for those who got into the lastest beta test there. It was a closed test and wasn't open to everyone there. You had to apply to get in. Everyone just assumed they would be free everywhere else, but they were never announced as free for any other region.
So a bunch of websites reported that we get them for free and no one at Capcom decided to correct that? Classy.

vg260

So a bunch of websites reported that we get them for free and no one at Capcom decided to correct that? Classy.

Who says they didn't try? Eventhubs made the correction at least.

I'd love them for free, but Capcom never implied they would be free for everyone, nor does that make a lot of sense considering the test for many larger regions was open to anyone. It was not noted as a freebie offer on the Capcom US blog either.

The Japanese site specifically stated they would be for the limited player number closed beta test 2 there, and for sale otherwise. People either made a bad assumption or ran with a poor translation. This one is not on Capcom. Blame those who did a bad job of reporting and those spreading incorrect info.

edit: apparently it was only the brawler pack as well. So even more of a bad mistranslation.

Top Bottom