• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQIX TO DS. DS WINS NEXT GEN WAR! (DQ gets cash cowed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Pellham said:
I think people are overreacting, mainly because I am 100% sure that DQ10 will be for a console, and they just wanted to make this DQ game for DS to be a numbered title so it would be a 4 million seller instead of a 1 million seller.

Does that make sense? People are seriously crying for no reason.

I mean it's just a friggin title. No need to worry that the world is going to end. I mean after all they did that shit with the FF series and nobody cared. FF11 anyone? Even FF13 doesn't look like a real FF game, it just has the fancy sploogtastic graphics but nobody realizes that the gameplay is going to be nothing like a normal FF game.

100% sure? Really?

No, it doesn't make sense.

FF11? You didn't see the backlash from that? Outrage, OUTRAGE I SAY.

And, at this point, what is "a normal" FF game? Exactly.

rod

Banned
i approve of this thread. it didnt really bother me if dq went psp OR ds, i just wanted a big name RPG franchise's next installation to go on a portable.

aeolist

Banned
donkey show said:
FF13 is now being remade for the DS in late 2007. News at 8.
Aren't there 3 or 4 games in this whole FFXIII project that they haven't announced yet? I'd be frankly shocked if at least one of them isn't a DS game.

Sallokin

creamsugar said:
01.bmp

02.bmp

I said holy shit.

Terrell

No, just.... no.

FFXIII on PS3, DQIX on DS... sure, this will make money, but Square Enix has officially become the most insane gaming corporation ever. Step off your throne, Nintendo, there's a new set of crazies in town.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
White Man said:
I'm still kinda surprised that they announced DQ9 so quickly after 8, but then again I guess SE needs da money, and the DS probably presents a more lucrative opportunity for putting the DQ name to work than they've ever had before. The system is shit hot and it looks like consoles are dying in Japan.

I guess it's really hard to blame SE in this position, but that doesn't make it illogical for me (and others) to be very disappointed by this news.

I agree with this word for word. This is really dumb to me, but, I can understand why they would do it from a business point of view.

Pellham

Banned
creamsugar said:

That actually looks pretty awesome for a DS game.

4 million sales confirmed.

FFXIII on PS3, DQIX on DS... sure, this will make money, but Square Enix has officially become the most insane gaming corporation ever. Step off your throne, Nintendo, there's a new set of crazies in town.

Since when was making money insane?

Krowley

Pimpbaa said:
This won't sell on the DS. People like to play quick short games that can played on the bus or where ever in short spurts. Not long console like experiences on the go.

This will sell so good it will make pokemon, nintendogs and brain training COMBINED look like canon fodder.

The DS userbase is going to explode EVEN BIGGER. It may not be ideal for handheld gaming, but it will still sell.

Also, it sounds like they are tweaking it and making it more of a handheld type game. This will probably infuriate many DQ fans (i'm more shocked at how different it sounds than i am about putting it on the ds... Turning DQ into an action RPG? holy crap).

Nameless

For the people saying this is a "step backwards" I don't see it. IMO graphics matter less in RPGS than any other genre. If the story is there, the battle system and leveling systems are innovative, and it adds something we've yet to see in RPGs its a step forward IMO.

kevm3

pol's voice said:
Most of the greatest RPGs of all time were on SNES. SO I just don't see how it matters if you get VO, orchestrated sound, or HD presentation.

This is the TP argument all over again.

I agree that the SNES had some of the best rpgs ever. However, those games were progressions and not regressions for gaming during that point in time. Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana 3 and Chrono Trigger were some of the best games technically during that time period. FF6 had some of the best graphics I had seen on the SNES at that point and still has some of the best music I've ever heard in a game. Ditto for Chrono Trigger. These games stood above the SNES pack in terms of production value. Releasing an SNES-esque game today wouldn't get nowhere near the same reaction.

This announcement is like after seeing Final Fantasy 6 and dreaming of a new Final Fantasy for N64 only to get Final Fantasy 7 on the green screen gameboy.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
White Man said:
I'm still kinda surprised that they announced DQ9 so quickly after 8, but then again I guess SE needs da money, and the DS probably presents a more lucrative opportunity for putting the DQ name to work than they've ever had before. The system is shit hot and it looks like consoles are dying in Japan.

I guess it's really hard to blame SE in this position, but that doesn't make it illogical for me (and others) to be very disappointed by this news.
I can understand disappointment, but some people are already holding funerals for the franchise or saying PS3 is dead and they are totally over-blowing the impact of this announcement. I enjoyed DQVIII as well as many others here and it was my first DQ (although I did know about the series before and I've played quite a few now), but I can understand why S-E is doing this and I'm not really disappointed about it being on the DS since I do know that this series has never relied on the latest technology to be as great as it is. What I am disappointed in though is that the game is setting out to be radically different from the other installments in the series as I've never been one to as for such radical changes, I'd rather a company make a new IP if they want to try something different with a main installment of a series.

seanoff

its a pretty shameless money grab from SE.

I would have preferred to see the game on a home console, any home console. It should be cheaper to produce for SE and will probably sell boatloads in Japan but i wonder about the series in the west esp given that it was just really gaining some traction.

I must say i would have liked to see a DQ with PS3/360 level graphics and as such am disappointed that it will be on a PS1/N64 level platform with a tiny screen.

Amir0x

Banned
Man why didn't they just go 2D >_<

now I'm conflicted - I hate traditional old school RPGs with random battles, and this seems to not be one. That's good news! But the graphics and portable nature, ugh...

Pellham

Banned
SnakeXs said:
100% sure? Really?

No, it doesn't make sense.

FF11? You didn't see the backlash from that? Outrage, OUTRAGE I SAY.

And, at this point, what is "a normal" FF game? Exactly.

110% sure then, whatever floats your boat.

I am just saying that just because they choose to release a game on the best selling hardware at the moment (because let's face it, PS2 games aren't selling so great anymore, even FF12 failed to hit 3m copies) that you shouldn't care so much. If you don't want it because it'll be a DS game, big whoop, it'll just be the FF11 of the series.

There wasn't much of an outrage over FF11 because everyone knew FF12 was coming and would be a normal game. They will probably announce DQ10 sometime next year, for release on either the PS3 or Wii in 2008 or 2009.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MasterMFauli said:
Yeah, because playing Pro Evolution Soccer on PS2 or FF:Crystal Chronicles on GCN was such a pain to play with the dpad...um, no, it wasnt.
Yes it was, and with the new screens I'm quite sad that the game has turned out to be fully 3D.

That looks pretty sweet for a DS game actually.

IMO, Square-Enix is done with traditional turn based RPGs. FFXII had a more action oriented battle system, DQIX will as well, I think FFXIII will as well.

Xristot

damn, i was hoping it would look like crap. The neogaf reaction would have been totally worth it. :lol

still...its looking really nice for ds.

Deku

Banned
White Man said:

Square and Enix also put a myriad of games on the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 so they can have the cashflow to wait out the 10 years it took for them to finally put the next 'real' installment of the game on the DS.[/spin]

Alex

Did they say anything about release date? I'd assume part of the reason they stuck it on DS is that it's not worth commiting to any of the consoles yet.

People really think that looks bad? That first screen is so nice, the detail isn't bad at all, and the draw distance is pretty mighty shit for a handheld.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
That looks great IMO, that town seems like it has a lot of activity going on in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom