• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

kylej

Banned
Adrift is not good lol. Bunch of Orbitals tunnels smashed together. Combined with lifts, promethean vision and mecha robots...

Get out of here.

Only good map is Haven and that map could be so much cooler looking.

Ragnarok is good when you are winning bad when you are losing.

The rest of the BTB maps are ALL snowy big maps with a bunch of rocks...no soul at all. tons of nooks and crannies to hide in and snipe away with power weapons like its friggen CoD. No spot has any identification.

yeah :(

Trey

What is Over going to do now that he can't write unfunny versions of Kylej/juices posts?

Over had constructive criticism. Shame the game wasn't net positive enough for him to keep it around.

I'd really like to see the heatmaps; large portions of Complex and Vortex go unused. There are a lot of great building/room designs that seem to be wasted on maps that don't seem to have any logical flow.

That's what happens with ordnance. Map flow gets dampened.

daedalius

Over had constructive criticism. Shame the game wasn't net positive enough for him to keep it around.

That's what happens with ordnance. Map flow gets dampened.

I generally liked reading Over's post, even though I thought he was overly negative most of the time.

Akai__

Overdoziz: it is poop.

:'(

Just can't understand some of you guys. I mostly feel the same way as Over, Juices, Kyle etc. but in the end, it is an enjoyable game, which can still be improved. It's a million times better then Reach. I would never trade it in that fast.

PNut

Banned
Played Spartan Ops for the first time today. Completed 5 matches with friends and had no input lag. Not even traces. I couldn't believe it. If this would of been Firefight in Reach every single game would have input lag.

Mode seems fun to play also. Good stuff 343.

Edit- Loving every aspect of Halo 4. Campaign was awesome. Can't wait to play through again. Having a blast in multiplayer! Now open up the file browsing!

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've played it quite a bit, what exactly doesn't work? The game still revolves around controlling the top hill...
-3x precision weapons
-5v5 CTF and KOTH
-The Mantis
-Might just be me, but I've had so many horrid spawns on that map
It should be done at the search level and not a specific playlist. Hopefully it will get hammered out fast, because the game is leaning too heavily on a fast match. Also, JIP needs to have a cut-off for when it will place you in a game.

yes. KOTH is probably my favorite playlist, followed by CTF.

The only reason Exile should be considered "bad" is the excessive vehicles. Your "garbage" section is laughable. Complex works for CTF and KOTH, despite the easily exploited rooftop.

I actually like Solace less than I thought I would. I think it was BigShow that said the map would work better for CTF if the bases were rotated 90 degrees to the long sides of the map, and I think it would be worth setting up a custom variant to see how it plays. The current bases are small and way too easy to camp with camo and a Boltshot.
That alone ruins it. Every match feels like a Heavies clusterfuck. Also a pretty huge chunk of the map goes relatively unused.

Complex works for KOTH, but that's it. It's terrible for slayer, and until the map glitch gets fixed, Oddball/Flood is unplayable for it.

Havok

This game being totally incapable of starting a game that's not 3v5, and not even trying to fill in the remaining 2 players on our team for the duration of the entire match, in the fucking CTF playlist is killing any enjoyment I might otherwise be having.

:'(

Just can't understand some of you guys. I mostly feel the same way as Over, Juices, Kyle etc. but in the end, it is an enjoyable game, which can still be improved. It's a million times better then Reach. I would never trade it in that fast.
I honestly don't know how some people tolerated Reach for as long as they did, but going into another Halo only to play the hoping game I can imagine gets tiring on the soul so it's best to finally cut loose.

Redford

aka Cabbie
God Tier:
Haven

Good:
Longbow
Solace

Decent:
Meltdown
Adrift

Bad:
Vortex
Exile
Abandon

Garbage:
Ragnarok
Complex

Nope.
Nope.
Sure.
Yep.
Yes.
Nope.
Debatable.
Hell yes.
NOOOOOPE.
For sure.

So why is Haven so apparently good? Instant respawn ruins all the maps but none more so than Haven. If a big firefight happens in the bottom middle at the start of the game it will be a good 3 or so minutes before the action moves elsewhere. There is nowhere to control. I guess the keeping you on your toes gameplay is cool in it's own way but if we're going by old Halo standards it is not God-tier by any stretch (maybe aesthetically). I mean it's one of the better maps on the disc, maybe I'm just tired of playing it every other match.

This game being totally incapable of starting a game that's not 3v5, and not even trying to fill in the remaining 2 players on our team for the duration of the entire match, in the fucking CTF playlist is killing any enjoyment I might otherwise be having.

Bregmann and I got in a lobby of 6 players yesterday, and the game made it a 4v2 match.

zap

Played Spartan Ops for the first time today. Completed 5 matches with friends and had no input lag. Not even traces. I couldn't believe it. If this would of been Firefight in Reach every single game would have input lag.

Mode seems fun to play also. Good stuff 343.

I've had this a few times, and other times it is just as bad as Reach. Playing with people who are far away is still pointless though :(

wwm0nkey

Halo 4 rank up chart. Basically its not hard to rank up at all.

ogZaw.png

I will take that rank system now please!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tashi how are you feeling about H4 multiplayer?

I'm getting on every night and having a ton of fun. It's been a really positive experience for me so far. The playlists are pretty solid. I don't really have a problem with playing just about anything. I mean, I was always a 4v4 guy but I've certainly had fun in each of the other playlists. Right now the game kind of feels like the Wild West sometimes. It's missing some polish which I think creates a lack of consistency in the overall matchmaking process. (Join in progress a little wonky at times, people getting booted out of parties, unable to enter certain lists just to name a few) Couple that with the rise of glitches and you've got something that feels pretty similar to Halo 2 to be honest. You don't know exactly what you're going to get.

When it works though, it's awesome. I've been consistently getting competitive matches in both Infinity Slayer and Slayer Pro. I said it to my party yesterday that it felt like Halo 3 when you go into a ranked playlist. Every game you have to prepare yourself for a competitive match. You've got to get in the right mindset. In Reach that happened once every 10 games, even in the MLG playlist, so it was kind of a joke in that regard. Halo 4 is certainly taking TrueSkill into effect which I'm very happy about.

The base gameplay traits are fantastic. Gun play is godly, melee's are less important and people generally have less grenades. Not sold in Instant Spawn although I don't think it's like game breaking or anything like that. I really love personal ordnance. Come to think of it, I like the quick weapon despawn as well. Somehow Infinity Slayer isn't a power weapon mess. I'm still getting killed mostly by standard rifles and I think it's because of the quick weapon despawn. I'm also not sold on Global Ordnance either. I'm really putting a lot of effort into "predicting" which weapons will spawn and I've had some success but in the end there are still just completely lucky instances that happen (Overdoz spawning as a Sniper drops at his feet). It just cheapens up the game some. I've been getting better at understanding the system though (I feel like Haven global Ordnance has changed in the past couple of days though so that's throwing me for a loop)

Maps are pretty solid for the most part. I don't think there's a map that can touch the best of the series so far yet though (Midship, Lockout, Pit, Sanctuary) Haven is definitely the best in the game. Solace is close but man, the more I play on it the more I wonder why the map just wasn't make completely Symmetrical. There are 2 easy ways to jump into the front of Jungle base and only one very difficult way of jumping into the front of Smooth base. Also, the layouts of the bases are very different with one have more tunnels than the other. They're not even centered properly on the map. Adrift isn't fun for Slayer and actually isn't quite good with radar at all.

Radar still bothers me. It has too much of an effect on the gameplay. I can coordinate, make unique jumps, flank and do all these high skill things but radar just completely shits on all that. And it has always done that so that's not new to Halo 4. The radar just keeps getting better with every iteration of the game though.

I like pretty much all of the armor abilities, even though I find some more useful than others. I don't think any are really game breaking but I will say fuck camo. That should have never been an armor ability in Reach and I'm not happy to see it return in Halo 4. The guy become invisible. HE'S INVISIBLE! You can't fix that, you just have to get rid of it.

But yea, that's what I just rattled off the top of my head. I'll definitely have more to say on the next podcast or some shit.

BigShow36

Why is Active Camo still an ability?
It makes the game so much less enjoyable.

It's just one of numerous decisions that are incredibly grating.

Why did they ever remove Camo and Overshield as pickups? Okay, so they wanted to try something new. Now, why can't we move back to how it was? Why are the only sacred design decisions the one's that have already been changed for the worse? They seem so willing to change everything that worked in the past and refuse to change things that don't work.

It all just gets so frustrating.

I wonder if the game is still in my temporary it probably is. I lose a DMR battle on Haven, instantly respawn the guy who just killed me is in front of me no shields, Revenge!

(OMG Instant Respawn is dumb in a game with shields)

Also stop trying to get my Camo AA nerfed or removed dudes. Stop!

Reach killed my first group of long-time Halo bros, now Halo 4 is killing the rest.

I think Halo 4 is better than Reach, but after Reach people have just patience.

I also think Halo 4 made some design choices which alienates that old Halo feel. Sprint as default has caused the map design to go wonky. The gametype settings being so different. The power weapon system and personal ordnance stuff has really taken away from what used to be 'Halo'.

IHaveIce

Banned
There is not one playlist in which I have fun the whole time, there are so many things that needs to be fixed.

Right now I'm really struggling to keep playing it

Reach killed my first group of long-time Halo bros, now Halo 4 is killing the rest.

Reach only did that?! Damn man, you're lucky then.. Been losing some great friends/players in Halo ever since 2 came around ;[

Just gotta find other ways to keep in touch and chill.

Havok

Next game: JIP an Oddball Complex game where the enemy team is ahead 250-47 (score to win is 300), one of our randoms grabs the ball and gets into the geometry. The enemy team uses this opportunity to play Slayer by crouching while invis, which takes them off the radar. We win the game because our ball guy can't be touched, but the enemy team doesn't care because they cheesed a bunch of kills off of everyone else.

Someone let me know when this game exits beta so I can attempt to have fun with a Halo game again.

Whos in charge of playlists did we ever get a meet the team?

Cause I'd like to see what jerks are fucking my Halo up. When I know I could make a better experience.

More like a a third. At 213k usually at 330k when I checked all last night. BLOPS2. UPS SUCKS. Friday!

BigShow36

Bregmann and I got in a lobby of 6 players yesterday, and the game made it a 4v2 match.

I went in solo and got a game that was 4v2, with me on the team of 4. I understand if they have parties that they're trying not to split up, but I was a single, so I should have been on the team of 2, obviously.

zlatko

Banned
Holy crap Halo 4's population looks like it got halved.

Yeah I called it. I said it'd be a third at least, half at most gone come today. :p

I'm getting on every night and having a ton of fun. It's been a really positive experience for me so far. The playlists are pretty solid. I don't really have a problem with playing just about anything. I mean, I was always a 4v4 guy but I've certainly had fun in each of the other playlists. Right now the game kind of feels like the Wild West sometimes. It's missing some polish which I think creates a lack of consistency in the overall matchmaking process. (Join in progress a little wonky at times, people getting booted out of parties, unable to enter certain lists just to name a few) Couple that with the rise of glitches and you've got something that feels pretty similar to Halo 2 to be honest. You don't know exactly what you're going to get.

When it works though, it's awesome. I've been consistently getting competitive matches in both Infinity Slayer and Slayer Pro. I said it to my party yesterday that it felt like Halo 3 when you go into a ranked playlist. Every game you have to prepare yourself for a competitive match. You've got to get in the right mindset. In Reach that happened once every 10 games, even in the MLG playlist, so it was kind of a joke in that regard. Halo 4 is certainly taking TrueSkill into effect which I'm very happy about.

The base gameplay traits are fantastic. Gun play is godly, melee's are less important and people generally have less grenades. Not sold in Instant Spawn although I don't think it's like game breaking or anything like that. I really love personal ordnance. Come to think of it, I like the quick weapon despawn as well. Somehow Infinity Slayer isn't a power weapon mess. I'm still getting killed mostly by standard rifles and I think it's because of the quick weapon despawn. I'm also not sold on Global Ordnance either. I'm really putting a lot of effort into "predicting" which weapons will spawn and I've had some success but in the end there are still just completely lucky instances that happen (Overdoz spawning as a Sniper drops at his feet). It just cheapens up the game some. I've been getting better at understanding the system though (I feel like Haven global Ordnance has changed in the past couple of days though so that's throwing me for a loop)

Maps are pretty solid for the most part. I don't think there's a map that can touch the best of the series so far yet though (Midship, Lockout, Pit, Sanctuary) Haven is definitely the best in the game. Solace is close but man, the more I play on it the more I wonder why the map just wasn't make completely Symmetrical. There are 2 easy ways to jump into the front of Jungle base and only one very difficult way of jumping into the front of Smooth base. Also, the layouts of the bases are very different with one have more tunnels than the other. They're not even centered properly on the map. Adrift isn't fun for Slayer and actually isn't quite good with radar at all.

Radar still bothers me. It has too much of an effect on the gameplay. I can coordinate, make unique jumps, flank and do all these high skill things but radar just completely shits on all that. And it has always done that so that's not new to Halo 4. The radar just keeps getting better with every iteration of the game though.

I like pretty much all of the armor abilities, even though I find some more useful than others. I don't think any are really game breaking but I will say fuck camo. That should have never been an armor ability in Reach and I'm not happy to see it return in Halo 4. The guy become invisible. HE'S INVISIBLE! You can't fix that, you just have to get rid of it.

But yea, that's what I just rattled off the top of my head. I'll definitely have more to say on the next podcast or some shit.

I like what I'm seeing here. As for invisibility in particular, what would you like to see done with it? I think that 343 is too stubborn to remove it entirely, so would you just like a IS gametype with only certain types of armor abilities available and they ditch jet pack, PV, and cloak altogether but leave the rest?

Or would you simply like it to be nerfed? Perhaps less blue dots on radar, depletes quicker, and longer recharge time?

Just got the Art of Halo 4 book. Looks like some stuff got spilled on my covers, both from and back. I took a wet paper towel and got most of it off, but it still kinda sucks. That, and a wierd spot on the first page that looks like someone spilled a huge drop of water, which stained/warped the page. First time Amazon has not given me something in prime condition.

On to the actual book. I'd say the first 40% of it is dedicated to the various environments, so that's awesome if you're into that kind of stuff. Me, I love to look at character concepts, and while the book has quite a few renders, I think it would have been cool to see more mocks of the spartans, marines, and enemies.

Speaking of, there were some cool spartan renders that never made it. That, and a fully-armored elite with mjonir-like armor. Maybe i can snap a picture and post it, if anyone wants. It looks all kinds of badass. Cortana has a whole 2-3 pages with her tig bitties splashed on huge concepts, so that was nice/a bit unnerving to think that the dude that draws her(all pics I saw were from the same artist) just gets to sit there and draw T & A and make a living out of it. Lucky bastard. Also, Chief had a two-page diagram showing every possible angle of all of his armor. So if you're like me and enjoy drawing him/other spartans, seeing that is very helpful.

Didact only has like three pages dedicated to him, wish it could have been more. Forerunners are actually surprisingly absent, IMO. They have a few pages, but there could have been more.

A few weapons/vehicles pages. Looks like they did a full game-style rendering of the SMG. I never noticed it in the game? Does anyone know if it ever made it in? That, and a different turret style. A lot of different warthog concepts.

Lots of multiplayer/infinity concepts toward the back. Kind of wondering if any of them are for any of the maps in the upcoming map packs, but I can't be sure. A lot of them look like SpOps, but I can't be sure. Last page has a big picture of a few spartan II's (mid 20s?) with helmets off. One could possibly be John. Behind him is a girl with blonde hair, maybe Kelly?

Overall, good book. Very few pictures taken from in-game, so I have to congratulate them on that. Lots of great concept art that I'm going to dive head-first in to later this evening. My only complaint is not quite so many pages dedicated to the environments, and more to the characters and creatures and stuff. But that's definitely my opinion, as I love drawing that stuff, rather than the background environments, personally.

If anyone has any requests on some pictures, I'll take a few if they're within reason.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yeah I called it. I said it'd be a third at least, half at most gone come today. :p

I like what I'm seeing here. As for invisibility in particular, what would you like to see done with it? I think that 343 is too stubborn to remove it entirely, so would you just like a IS gametype with only certain types of armor abilities available and they ditch jet pack, PV, and cloak altogether but leave the rest?

Or would you simply like it to be nerfed? Perhaps less blue dots on radar, depletes quicker, and longer recharge time?

Yea but keep Jetpack. I have no real issues with it. PV is fine too but without radar, it doesn't seem like it would work.

Camo being an Armor Ability just makes no sense given what it was in the first 3 Halo games. A power up. Just like Overshield, just like Speed boost and just like Damage boost. Why has it changed?

FourDoor

<rant> I've been wanting a set of gaming headphones since Halo 3. My wife's always complained to me that the surround sound and subs are too loud when I played late at night. She was nice and bought me the Astro A40s 2013 edition last week (primarily for herself I think so she can get some sleep at night LOL).

Anyways, the Astros came in yesterday and the freakin Mixamp keeps cutting out every time I fire a weapon in Halo 4!!!! Contacted support and just looked through their forums and it looks like a bunch of people are having the same issue. Horrible first experience with Astros here. Hopefully this is something that can be quickly fixed since I'm anxious to try out the headsets in matchmaking and don't get that "TURN IT DOWN" yell at night. LOL </rant>

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So we still have no comment on the file browser right? I feel like I'm the only one who even values this feature and it's killing me that it's still not up yet.

Please remove Ragnarock from the King of the Hill playlist.
And Complex while your at it.

Top Bottom