• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

A look into what I've been working on.

7tk6Jl.jpg

UTMb8l.jpg

zxY0Al.jpg

The PDF versions you can zoom in more on those squares.

Radar still bothers me. It has too much of an effect on the gameplay. I can coordinate, make unique jumps, flank and do all these high skill things but radar just completely shits on all that. And it has always done that so that's not new to Halo 4. The radar just keeps getting better with every iteration of the game though.

I generally have a lot of respect for your game insight and comments but I disagree on radar. Probably one of the biggest reasons you like MLG and I like default Halo through the series.

I just wanted to comment that I think radar has too much range to it and should be cut back about 20-30% of its useful range.

However that said there is far more room for stealth with radar and to me it takes more skill than for example MLG with no radar. You have to use timing, positioning and cunning during a match rather than just having this auto-cloak of no radar.

I've already found I have pretty much the same ability to be stealthy with radar and can still do it mid battle with 1v1 or 1v2 as well.

Combine that with Camo to counter PV and I love radar still.

Akai__

I honestly don't know how some people tolerated Reach for as long as they did, but going into another Halo only to play the hoping game I can imagine gets tiring on the soul so it's best to finally cut loose.

I don't know why I tolerated Reach so long either. Guess I played it, because some friends kept playing it and they couldn't stand Halo 3's terrible netcode, which was infected with mexican host, mostly.

But yeah, you are probably right. Better move on, instead of doing sth which isn't fun to you.

Edit:
Finally hit SR50! Goin Pioneer first to get that xp boost

Doesn't make sense for me, since you only get additional 500xp and you hit the credit cap faster, which is totally bullshit, imo.

Why is there a credit cap?

FyreWulff

Allow me to re-fix:

Please remove the DMR from Ragnarock.

I could - and did! see this coming miles away. Pretty sure I wrote about the exact problems it would create more than a year ago. I'm flummoxed it was left in.

I saw it coming when 343 patched the DMR in Reach to act like it does in 4, and then had to play games on Hemmorhage with crouch fired 85% DMRs. There is barely a single change they did to Reach in the TU that didn't turn up in 4. "You don't have the full picture!" my ass.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I won't trade my game in, but I may stop playing it regularly. My patience is wearing thin very quickly. After Reach, I don't have it in me to play a Halo game that I only kind of like. I'll give 343 a few months to make some changes, and then see how I feel. If nothing else, I'll keep my copy to play at LANs, which I've committed to organizing for the foreseeable future. Otherwise, though, I probably won't even keep my Xbox. The only game I play is Halo, lol. If I don't play Halo, there's no point in keeping my Xbox. I'll probably give it to one of the kids I babysit, hah.

It makes me sad, but oh well. I don't want to waste my time with frustrating Halo games anymore.

I won't trade my game in, but I may stop playing it regularly. My patience is wearing thin very quickly. After Reach, I don't have it in me to play a Halo game that I only kind of like. I'll give 343 a few months to make some changes, and then see how I feel. If nothing else, I'll keep my copy to play at LANs, which I've committed to organizing for the foreseeable future. Otherwise, though, I probably won't even keep my Xbox. The only game I play is Halo, lol. If I don't play Halo, there's no point in keeping my Xbox. I'll probably give it to one of the kids I babysit, hah.

It makes me sad, but oh well. I don't want to waste my time with frustrating Halo games anymore.

When my batts died and I couldn't play I wasn't even all that phased by it. I can have fun with this game but at times it just feels like the frustrations I had with Reach are back and worse than ever.

FyreWulff

Don't those Reach numbers also include campaign? I could be making that up, but I certainly don't buy Halo 4 is 1/3 of Reach total's players, not after the news that it got 4 million people played it in the first 5 days.

Reach's campaign playlist rarely went past 3 digits.

343 has the information that could clarify, but once MS took complete control of Halo, the community barely has access to clear numbers anymore.

GhaleonEB

It's actually worse than that, because of the flinch mechanic. I'd take bloom back in spades. That impacted my ability to hit what was in my reticule. Now I can't even center my reticule to begin with.

I think, more than anything else, flinch will be what drives me out of Halo 4's multiplayer. My most hated mechanic in FPS games, added to the only FPS series I loved. In part because it didn't feature it.

I'm sitting here looking at the fact that Dragonborn doesn't come out until December 4th, and wondering what I'm going to play until then. I'm sad, but entering the acceptance phase.

zlatko

Banned

I have found all Halo's have frustration, but it's a matter of playing with friends and the right playlist to make the game shine for your personal enjoyment.

Do you currently dislike everything about it or what kind of playlist do you need in order to be satisfied?

zap

JmSnY.gif

343 has the information that could clarify, but once MS took complete control of Halo, the community barely has access to clear numbers anymore.

I think he means Campaign in general not the co-op Campaign playlist that didn't come out until a month or two after launch.

Trey

Wait, so the Covenant that are still bad guys know about the truce and are just being total jerks?

These Elites hate humanity, revere the Forerunners as gods, and want to kill the Arbiter because he struck a truce with humanity in the first place. I guess the Grunts, Jackals and Hunters are just flunkies.

Ken

It's actually worse than that, because of the flinch mechanic. I'd take bloom back in spades. That impacted my ability to hit what was in my reticule. Now I can't even center my reticule to begin with.

I think, more than anything else, flinch will be what drives me out of Halo 4's multiplayer. My most hated mechanic in FPS games, added to the only FPS series I loved. In part because it didn't feature it.

I'm sitting here looking at the fact that Dragonborn doesn't come out until December 4th, and wondering what I'm going to play until then. I'm sad, but entering the acceptance phase.

Flinch is what happens when you get shot while in zoom right? It's basically forced me to un zoom to win trades.

FyreWulff

If only the Firefight Doubles list were still in Reach. Or I could go play Actionsack in Reach while waiting for it to show up in 4 :/

I think he means Campaign in general not the co-op Campaign playlist that didn't come out until a month or two after launch.

I don't believe they were counted in the population counter. Reach counted people actively searching and in a game in a playlist.

kylej

Banned

The episodic Walking Dead games are very good. I played through the first two episodes over the weekend and was impressed.

I need to turn off notifications before I play again. They cover the lower quarter of a DMR reticule. It just isn't fun getting fucked over like that when it was never an issue I noticed in previous games.

I'm cooling off for a few days I think. My k/d is consistently negative and DMR/BR/LR/Carbine encounters just rarely go in my favour even when I have the drop on someone.

def sim

It's a splinter group. Alot of the Covenant are in a peace state with humanity. Some aren't.

These Elites hate humanity, revere the Forerunners as gods, and want to kill the Arbiter because he struck a truce with humanity in the first place. I guess the Grunts, Jackals and Hunters are just flunkies.

I really hope they go all out with the Prometheans and wrap the Covenant enemy thing up in Halo 5. Those guys should just be our buddies by now.

However that said there is far more room for stealth with radar and to me it takes more skill than for example MLG with no radar. You have to use timing, positioning and cunning during a match rather than just having this auto-cloak of no radar.
Why is being told where the other person is just because they wanted to move more skilled? Nothing skilled about seeing a blip about the dude around the corner and then throwing the nade, it just acts as a crutch and an impediment to actually move around. No radar makes you use your own senses and exposes people who don't have any situational awareness.

GhaleonEB

Flinch is what happens when you get shot while in zoom right? It's basically forced me to un zoom to win trades.
Yeah. On Ragnarock you're fighting dudes across the map in DMR duels, but the distance is so great there's a very low chance of hitting unless you're scoped. So each fight turns into me grappling with my bobbing reticule.

If only the Firefight Doubles list were still in Reach. Or I could go play Actionsack in Reach while waiting for it to show up in 4 :/
I'm going to find an XBLA game or two to tide me over until Skyrim's Dragonborn expansion lands. I really don't have any other major games on my radar; I was planning to rock Halo 4 for a nice long while.

For the record, I'm not mad. Just kind of bummed. A lot of very talented people made a game I was enormously anticipating, but ultimately, don't really like.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Nothing. Christ, why keep up the charade that wanting to play Blops is such a crime?

I meant to express how disappointed I am with Halo 4 multiplayer, not the actual act of playing CoD. I honestly thought I'd be playing nothing but this for like a year, and I'm disenchanted after a week.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
When my batts died and I couldn't play I wasn't even all that phased by it. I can have fun with this game but at times it just feels like the frustrations I had with Reach are back and worse than ever.
Yeah, I think this is where I'm at as well. I've been home most of the day and I put 2 matches into CTF, but I've mostly been working on pixel art. I'll go back and try to get the third win in for the challenge in an hour or so, but there's no rush.

I'm not addicted. Which in a way, is a great thing.

Also, regarding your analysis of UI: Have you read any books on human factors psychology or is this stemming from your design/layout courses?

zlatko

Banned
Yeah. On Ragnarock you're fighting dudes across the map in DMR duels, but the distance is so great there's a very low chance of hitting unless you're scoped. So each fight turns into me grappling with my bobbing reticule.

I'm going to find an XBLA game or two to tide me over until Skyrim's Dragonborn expansion lands. I really don't have any other major games on my radar; I was planning to rock Halo 4 for a nice long while.

For the record, I'm not mad. Just kind of bummed. A lot of very talented people made a game I was enormously anticipating, but ultimately, don't really like.

Aside from flinch, what would you want fixed/tweaked for you to want to play the game?

I was actually under the impression those Reach numbers included all users online, but I can't find any info to back that up.

Either way, I haven't seen Halo 4's MM population above 400k even at launch so I assume it's tracking those stats in a much different manner than Reach.

Allow me to re-fix:

I could - and did! see this coming miles away. Pretty sure I wrote about the exact problems it would create more than a year ago. I'm flummoxed it was left in.

Why? Again, I'll say it bluntly if you are getting destroyed on Ragnarock by DMR then you are probably bad. DMR doesn't break Ragnarock there are sides of the map you can sprint off through, you can go rock side or river side. You have a base to ping them from if they go past middle and make them back down a bit off top mid or bail behind top mid rock that allows your team to push out.

If anything having control of Banshee and Mantis while the other teams are destroyed break the map 10x harder.

Its an open map you cannot just rush or run around in middle , there are snipers on the map, you have to plan your movement.

Devo good writeup: Hit a lot of the main wtf issues with the UI.

Nothing. Christ, why keep up the charade that wanting to play Blops is such a crime?
I think the weirder thing is that it seems like it's made out to be the only choice in the matter. "I-- I don't like CoD... but now I don't like Halo... so I have to play CoD!" I guess ranking or whatever plays into it, I dunno. I'm just gonna bail to Dota 2 or something.

CyReN

How I felt when Aim Acceleration got added, I wish I could see how they thought these things where a good idea.

Sometimes I just want to go full Al Pachino from Any Given Sunday to 343 and explain gaming likes and dislikes. Game is so close, but terrible things implemented hurt so much along with no polish.

zlatko

Banned
I think the weirder thing is that it seems like it's made out to be the only choice in the matter. "I-- I don't like CoD... but now I don't like Halo... so I have to play CoD!" I guess ranking or whatever plays into it, I dunno. I'm just gonna bail to Dota 2 or something.

Can't we just...play more than 1 game for fun? :( I mean I'm getting BO2 either today or end of the week and plan to play it AND Halo 4. MADNESS!

BigShow36

Allow me to re-fix:

Allow me to re-re-fix:

Please lower the aim assist on the weapons and increase player strafe so that it's not so easy to land shots at every range. The game will be exponentially better for it.

Top Bottom