• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Allow me to re-re-fix:

Please lower the aim assist on the weapons and increase player strafe so that it's not so easy to land shots at every range. The game will be exponentially better for it.
A good suggestion.
Can't we just...play more than 1 game for fun? :( I mean I'm getting BO2 either today or end of the week and plan to play it AND Halo 4. MADNESS!
I have an hour or two a night to play video games, which means I have to maximise the quality of that experience.

Why is being told where the other person is just because they wanted to move more skilled? Nothing skilled about seeing a blip about the dude around the corner and then throwing the nade, it just acts as a crutch and an impediment to actually move around. No radar makes you use your own senses and exposes people who don't have any situational awareness.

I wasn't really extending my comments to radar vs. no radar. More just the stealth aspect of having radar is more skilled than the stealth aspect of no radar.

Beyond that in response since Halo CE I've always found the radar mechanic a key aspect of what I enjoy about Halo. I don't play for 8-10 hours a day with the same team mates on a pro circuit and I like my video games to reflect my play style and the game as the developers provide it.

It's personal choice and I have nothing against MLG settings, they're just not for me.

BigShow36

Easy is a relative term.

Yes, it is. I'm sure I can find some kid who thinks the weapons are the hardest thing in the world. The problem is, games shouldn't be balanced based on the lowest common denominator because it destroys the game for everyone else. Also, despite what game devs apparently think, it doesn't make the game sell any better. It certainly hurts the longevity (dlc, anyone?).

"Easy" is also relative based on who you are playing. Even in a highly-skilled game, noobs playing against noobs will still have fun because they are on an even playing field.

orznge

Banned
there is never, ever going to be another Halo game where strafing allows a player to move in such a way that they can cause a competent player to miss a shot, it's simply not a part the collective Halo designers' intent

Ken

It's sad when I think Swat playlist is the closest playlist to what I want out of a slayer playlist.

Why does the game not kick out idlers after maybe a minute of idle time? I'm pretty sure CoD did this 3 games ago...

BigShow36

there is never, ever going to be another Halo game where strafing allows a player to move in such a way that they can cause a competent player to miss a shot, it's simply not a part the collective Halo designers' intent

I just wish they would at least give us the option to add it in custom games. Instead, increasing movement speed just makes the strafe even worse. It's like they intentionally go out of their way to not allow skilled players good custom options.

4sk? Nope, breaks the rest of the sandbox completely.
Increased player speed? Nope, you're now on Ice Skates.
No Bloom precision weapon? Nope, but here's a BR with spread.

But hey, don't you want a flamming helmet when you enter this certain area of the map with a waypoint above your enemies? Also, you can spawn with random weapons!

So where are the groups we can create, track and manage?

I admit not really looking for them yet but I haven't seen them in the game or on Waypoint?

Here are the Elites with armor. Sorry for the blurry pics.

That looks a hundred times better than the shitty covie design we got. Fuck Halo 4's covenant artstyle. Nothing looks right apart from the hunters.
At least this would have been a radical departure from the previous style instead of a bastardization.

I need to turn off notifications before I play again. They cover the lower quarter of a DMR reticule. It just isn't fun getting fucked over like that when it was never an issue I noticed in previous games.

I'm cooling off for a few days I think. My k/d is consistently negative and DMR/BR/LR/Carbine encounters just rarely go in my favour even when I have the drop on someone.

You finding that it feels like your shots do no damage? I get that feeling a lot.

I am tempted to make a montage out of all the times my headshots wont register. It happens way more often than not at this stage.

It's actually worse than that, because of the flinch mechanic. I'd take bloom back in spades. That impacted my ability to hit what was in my reticule. Now I can't even center my reticule to begin with.

I think, more than anything else, flinch will be what drives me out of Halo 4's multiplayer. My most hated mechanic in FPS games, added to the only FPS series I loved. In part because it didn't feature it.

I'm sitting here looking at the fact that Dragonborn doesn't come out until December 4th, and wondering what I'm going to play until then. I'm sad, but entering the acceptance phase.

I already feel like the DMR has bloom and the BR had more spread than before, but thats probably just a connection thing. Would not trade flinch for bloom, would rather have neither.

Devo good writeup: Hit a lot of the main wtf issues with the UI.

I also need to get into the big buttons for leader/custom games and the players cards. I really don't get the UI. Games have it the easiest in terms of accessibility and not having to deal with a client that wants a bunch of shit on the front page. They can make it as simple as they want but it's like the priorities are all out of whack.

I don't give an honest shit what my friends look like. What was the thought process there? I cannot describe the utter disdain I have for the direction games are heading. Make a good solid game and UI/UE before you get into the realm of people comparing looks, vids and "making some experience that goes beyond the game." Does this fluff really keep people invested? Because it feels like it's just trying to shine a turd.

BigShow36

Halo: Reach marked the end of an awesome, awesome era of Bungie's Halo.

In the same way that a gurgle marks the end of a shitty flush.

You finding that it feels like your shots do no damage? I get that feeling a lot.

I am tempted to make a montage out of all the times my headshots wont register. It happens way more often than not at this stage.

I can't tell if it's bloom or not, but I seem to have a lot of headshots on unshielded opponents don't register. I also find that I get more headshots for aiming at the chest than I do for the actual head. Whoever said bloom doesn't affect the DMR except at "extremely" longe range is wrong.

Myyke

Neo Member
I've really been enjoying Halo 4, it definitely isn't Bungie's Halo but it is different in a good way I think. There are some niggles/glitches I have encountered but otherwise I enjoy the current multiplayer experience a lot, I just can't wait for some new maps to play on already! I really didn't enjoy playing Reach by myself, but I can play Halo 4 multiplayer solo quite happily and the frantic action reminds me of my Halo 2 days.

Also, please, please, please bring SWAT back as a permanent playlist, I could just play that all day. Halo 4 SWAT feels so much like Halo 2 SWAT, hitscan precision weapons are so much more fun to use than Halo 3's and we don't have to suffer the horrific Reach bloom either. It is SWAT perfection!

It's more like I expect to trade but don't. I dunno. Krow still plays quite well so I'm probably just not adjusting. Plenty of times I just default to BR/Mobility and run around just not caring as much.

The games I had the most fun in were honestly on LAN without the ordinances and various perks.

Also what is with the weapons you don't really have to aim?

DesertFox

"Halo: Reach marked the end of an awesome, awesome era of Bungie's Halo."
In the same way that a gurgle marks the end of a shitty flush.

I literally loled at this. How can anybody have anything positive to say about Halo Reach. Did you just never play multiplayer?

Woorloog

Banned
I literally loled at this. How can anybody have anything positive to say about Halo Reach. Did you just never play multiplayer?

As much as i dislike Reach, i can say positive things about it.
Played in splitscreen, it was nearly as awesome as Halo 3 was. It had pretty awesome Forge World (in-concept). It had... well, it had many pretty cool things.
But it was filled with missed oppoturnities and missteps.

What's wrong with having Camo as a 4th Powerup you get in your Personal Ordnance? It would simply return to its former glory, none of this radar jamming bs.. Many people agreed that Camo should've never returned as an AA, but to see 343's unwillingness to "fix" that problem created by Bungie in Reach is disappointing to say the least.

As for all the AA's people are complaining about, they're all abusable and can be considered broken. You see the guy using PV on your radar, so why run anywhere where he can hit you? You don't have to coordinate with a team to outsmart and outplay a single dude using PV.. Shit, in many cases you don't even need a team to outsmart and outplay a pair using PV.. Individual skill actually goes a long way in this game. Maybe I feel this way because it feels soooo good to constantly mind game players who are using PV much like how it felt destroying glasswall hacks in Halo 1. That shit ruined the community, but at least PV everyone has and you know when they're using it.

The core gameplay is phenomenal and with a few tweaks, if 343 isn't afraid to listen to fundamental change from the fans, Halo 4 still has that multiplayer potential. To me, Halo 4 is more about gunplay and your constant movement around the maps then it is about holding Blue Base on Hang 'Em High, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. So how can they make a more team-oriented and constant flow around the maps even better?

Consistent Ordnance Drops. There should be an "Incoming Ordnance" waypoint as a default feature instead of an armor mod. This could allow teams to coordinate setups several seconds in advance like they could in the past. This waypoint is needed if the Drops are going to remain random in placement around the maps.

Red Dead X Marks. For obvious reasons.

Making Camo a Powerup. Just like how it was in Halo 3, maybe even make it so that you only come up on the radar when you shoot your weapon so it'll obviously have to be an Personal Ordnance only unless 343 can.....

Bring back map Powerups. Can anyone come up with one logical reason why these were removed? Halo was so unique with how the player would fight for these things along with weapons on the map, something especially unique in today's era of fps games.

Classic playlists need to take priority over single playlists like SWAT. One new playlist coming out each week is too slow IMO. Obviously a constant flow of new playlists is better than how it's been handled in previous Halo games, but it's also part of the problem. Is 343 sticking to that formula strictly and we won't see any UNKNOWN playlists for a few weeks? So far we have SWAT, next week we get FFA, but what about after that? Extraction maybe? Think about it, that'll make it at least three weeks after the game launched that we might have a chance at seeing some of those changes, possibly even longer for feature changes like the aforementioned death marks and predictable Ordnance Drops.

I could write a novel about why this game is great for the Halo franchise, but I'm sure it'll go unread and I'll be wasting my time lol, so I'll just keep posting about things that could make this game even better.

Side Question: The map packs were confirmed to have smaller, arena-style maps right? And the first one comes out in December so.. there's that at least for people who don't like most of the maps.

Also, I think I put a Storm Rifle video in my fileshare for anyone who wants to check out what 10 sensitivity looks like with Thrusters on Solace. <--Actually nvm this for now, just checked and my file browser and theater are messing up.. I think I've seen others having problems with this too right? I've been on the fence about buying a capture card, anyone have any suggestions or know of any good deals going around?

MrBig

I'm sitting here looking at the fact that Dragonborn doesn't come out until December 4th, and wondering what I'm going to play until then. I'm sad, but entering the acceptance phase.

You should look in to Planetside 2. I think it has a lot to offer for you: great mechanics, a fantastic community, and an unparalleled developer-community relationship

Encountered the Complex Oddball glitch for the first time today. Infuriating.

Now allow me to present my fix for it, 343 style. Ladies and gentlemen, I propose a new weapon: a promethean rifle that can shoot through walls. Think FarSight from Perfect Dark.
Of course this weapon is selectable for your loadout.

Think about it. No matter how many more PoS, broken, glitchy maps you will crank out as DLC, no-one will ever be able to camp and win an oddball game again. It's absolutely perfect.
Hire me.

What's wrong with having Camo as a 4th Powerup you get in your Personal Ordnance? It would simply return to its former glory, none of this radar jamming bs.. Many people agreed that Camo should've never returned as an AA, but to see 343's unwillingness to "fix" that problem created by Bungie in Reach is disappointing to say the least.

As for all the AA's people are complaining about, they're all abusable and can be considered broken. You see the guy using PV on your radar, so why run anywhere where he can hit you? You don't have to coordinate with a team to outsmart and outplay a single dude using PV.. Shit, in many cases you don't even need a team to outsmart and outplay a pair using PV.. Individual skill actually goes a long way in this game. Maybe I feel this way because it feels soooo good to constantly mind game players who are using PV much like how it felt destroying glasswall hacks in Halo 1. That shit ruined the community, but at least PV everyone has and you know when they're using it.

The core gameplay is phenomenal and with a few tweaks, if 343 isn't afraid to listen to fundamental change from the fans, Halo 4 still has that multiplayer potential. To me, Halo 4 is more about gunplay and your constant movement around the maps then it is about holding Blue Base on Hang 'Em High, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. So how can they make a more team-oriented and constant flow around the maps even better?

Consistent Ordnance Drops. There should be an "Incoming Ordnance" waypoint as a default feature instead of an armor mod. This could allow teams to coordinate setups several seconds in advance like they could in the past. This waypoint is needed if the Drops are going to remain random in placement around the maps.

Red Dead X Marks. For obvious reasons.

Making Camo a Powerup. Just like how it was in Halo 3, maybe even make it so that you only come up on the radar when you shoot your weapon so it'll obviously have to be an Personal Ordnance only unless 343 can.....

Bring back map Powerups. Can anyone come up with one logical reason why these were removed? Halo was so unique with how the player would fight for these things along with weapons on the map, something especially unique in today's era of fps games.

Classic playlists need to take priority over single playlists like SWAT. One new playlist coming out each week is too slow IMO. Obviously a constant flow of new playlists is better than how it's been handled in previous Halo games, but it's also part of the problem. Is 343 sticking to that formula strictly and we won't see any UNKNOWN playlists for a few weeks? So far we have SWAT, next week we get FFA, but what about after that? Extraction maybe? Think about it, that'll make it at least three weeks after the game launched that we might have a chance at seeing some of those changes, possibly even longer for feature changes like the aforementioned death marks and predictable Ordnance Drops.

I could write a novel about why this game is great for the Halo franchise, but I'm sure it'll go unread and I'll be wasting my time lol, so I'll just keep posting about things that could make this game even better.

Side Question: The map packs were confirmed to have smaller, arena-style maps right? And the first one comes out in December so.. there's that at least for people who don't like most of the maps.

Also, I think I put a Storm Rifle video in my fileshare for anyone on my friends list who wants to check out what 10 sensitivity looks like with Thrusters on Solace.

This game is great if you want the current stock of personalization within your FPS. If you prefer a stripped down more egalitarian type FPS, you're SOL this time. And that's where Halo was at its best and different from the rest of the FPS flock.

I also need to get into the big buttons for leader/custom games and the players cards. I really don't get the UI. Games have it the easiest in terms of accessibility and not having to deal with a client that wants a bunch of shit on the front page. They can make it as simple as they want but it's like the priorities are all out of whack.

I don't give an honest shit what my friends look like. What was the thought process there? I cannot describe the utter disdain I have for the direction games are heading. Make a good solid game and UI/UE before you get into the realm of people comparing looks, vids and "making some experience that goes beyond the game." Does this fluff really keep people invested? Because it feels like it's just trying to shine a turd.

I actually like the player cards, sort of like baseball trading cards if you will. The UI does need some tweaks like easy party details access, time remaining shown in multiple parts of the UI/party details and of course parties highlighted during lobby, matchmaking, in game and post reports etc.

Regarding showing extra details like this of course they want to show off their hard work. If you invested as much conceprt, art, animation, texture, bug fixes etc as 343i did in armour and customisation then you'd understand the want to show this off big time.

It seems a little weird to have these player cards but then choose to ignore ranks and previous games icons etc. To me it would have been the perfect place to show off past Halo achievements and player ranks through the series/Halo 4 too.

Sorry, I just had to nitpick that Halo wasn't unique in this regard, just following the trends. :p Certainly would be unique for today's landscape though.

Ken

This game is great if you want the current stock of personalization within your FPS. If you prefer a stripped down more egalitarian type FPS, you're SOL this time. And that's where Halo was at its best and different from the rest of the FPS flock.

My problem with the game is that the personalization doesn't even feel all that great. Never would I say "yup, this is MY perrsonal loadout set to my personal playstyle."

Current personalization options feel really boring and "safe."

I actually like the player cards, sort of like baseball trading cards if you will. The UI does need some tweaks like easy party details access, time remaining shown in multiple parts of the UI/party details and of course parties highlighted during lobby, matchmaking, in game and post reports etc.

Regarding showing extra details like this of course they want to show off their hard work. If you invested as much conceprt, art, animation, texture, bug fixes etc as 343i did in armour and customisation then you'd understand the want to show this off big time.

It seems a little weird to have these player cards but then choose to ignore ranks and previous games icons etc. To me it would have been the perfect place to show off past Halo achievements and player ranks through the series/Halo 4 too.

You see the armor in the game. In reach you could still see the player's garb and all of the details necessary within the lobby. To make it the main focus is just inexcusable to me. As I said before, I'm quite tired of this need to exclude what should be the main priority in a UI or game to focus on inconsequential things. You can see armor permutations elsewhere.

My problem with the game is that the personalization doesn't even feel all that great. Never would I say "yup, this is MY perrsonal loadout set to my personal playstyle."

Current personalization options feel really boring and "safe."

It's this weird middle ground where they could easily just give you each of the tactical packages in general but instead decided to gimp you a bit to make these viable. And then instead of some real crazy stuff with considerable disadvantages it's just stuff you should have in general. Oh I can only pick up nades if I have this package. What.

I don't get why people are so upset about the random power weapon spawns. I agree they should add an option to keep the power weapon spawns statis in MLG or tourney matches, but online matchmaking can be ruined by people who play like every single match has a prize money on it. I seriously hated when the opposition was dominating the weapon cycles and it really ruined the fun for me, let a lone newcomes to Halo who will probably never touch Halo ever again.

From all the lists I've read that moaned about the unfairness, like PV (which is pretty much harmless), this is the actual thing that makes the matches unfair. And people want thát back? Give me a break.

I don't get why people are so upset about the random power weapon spawns. I agree they should add an option to keep the power weapon spawns statis in MLG or tourney matches, but online matchmaking can be ruined by people who play like every single match has a prize money on it. I seriously hated when the opposition was dominating the weapon cycles and it really ruined the fun for me, let a lone newcomes to Halo who will probably never touch Halo ever again.

From all the lists I've read that moaned about the unfairness, like PV (which is pretty much harmless), this is the actual thing that makes the matches unfair. And people want thát back? Give me a break.
So actually having items on the map that are equidistant from the players for them to fight over is unfair, starting off with wall hacks is harmless, and getting power weapons dropped at your feet at random is absolutely fair. Okay then!

I mean, sure, it sucks to lose; but that's what this wonderful gated garden of matchmaking is supposed to ensure. That people who just popped the game in get matched with other people who barely know the rounds, not 50s in MLG.

If you need to power weapons and random OP ords in order to "get back in the game" because you're getting wrecked so hard by base weapons that's a failure on behalf of trueskill.

feel

I really miss weapons on maps in Slayer. It was practically the soul of the multiple areas of the maps. Now I just find myself wandering aimlessly looking for people to kill and no place in the map seems exciting to walk to like when there was a chance of finding a nice weapon there freshly spawned. Maps seem dead now.

I absolutely love Haven, and complex is the only map i do not like.
Same.

Trey

I don't give an honest shit what my friends look like. What was the thought process there?

You have people posting their Spartans in the gaming OT. Like, pages worth. That's the thought process.

Also, I agree with juices on Ragnarok, and Ghal (and everyone else) on flinching. I didn't think descoping needed to be taken out in the first place.

FyreWulff

where the card style would have made sense is a menu where you can view all of your friends service records (regardless of online status). like a library of your bros. It'd show the cards stacked across the bottom and show their career stats on the top as you go through.

Top Bottom