• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Inhumans/Inhumass/Inhumazz: Review Thread.

DOWN

Banned
People saying it isn’t up to Marvel’s standards... but frankly they’ve done this multiple times now so I disagree with claiming this isn’t within their standards

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Everything is a money decision. You're living in a dream world if you think Medusa gets her hair chopped off in the first episode for story reasons. It's probably because they know the wig is ugly AND if she has hair you either have to pay to animate it during future conflicts or come up with a reason why she can't.

Lockjaw has the additional issue of being fully CG. You either pay for him to be there or he's out. Plus, he probably breaks down the flimsy story because he can teleport anywhere. Looking at this nonsense, they'll spin their wheels for a few episodes by separating the characters. Iron Fist pulled all these same tricks. Cheap cheap cheap.

After finishing the defenders, wtf happened to marvel tv. Daredevil and Jessica Jones at least felt like real productions. That shit felt like it had half the budget of daredevil season 2 across only 8 episodes. And now with this where the hell is the money going

I imagine that even if Feige was interested in the TV side of things that he'd have to take a much less active role in the movies to be able to cover both. I imagine he's already incredibly busy as it is.

It's more of no one seems to like Ike Perlmutter who is in charge of all of Marvel.

So put Feige in charge of all of Marvel, he can hire someone out to do TV and still focus more on movies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Not that I think it's getting a second season but hasn't this always been marketed as an "event" series?

I have a question: does this trainwreck have any cross-references with Agents of Shield at all?

There's a minor reference in the first two episodes.

Listening to Sepinwall's take on the new episode of his podcast:

"There is not a single frame of this two-hour Inhumans pilot that feels that anyone involved cared about any of it."

"Half of the characters speak like they just got back from the mall; the other half speak like they're on an episode of Game of Thrones."

"There was no quality control here; everyone was just left to their own devices. The guy with the hooves can wear boots for an hour, no one's going to notice."

Boem

This is going to be one of those shows where reviewers are going to start falling all over themselves to find the most left field comparison to make or weird plot detail to point out in their efforts to shit on this, isn't it?

Not that I'm complaining. Hunting season is always fun.

medusa-615x324.jpg

848460096_1da1ab3cd4_z.jpg

This is going to be one of those shows where reviewers are going to start falling all over themselves to find the most left field comparison to make or weird plot detail to point out in their efforts to shit on this, isn't it?

Not that I'm complaining. Hunting season is always fun.

It's easy review pickings so they have to get more elaborate with their set ups.

Time to see Max Landis praise the fuck out of it.

Bernbaum

I don't mind the Inhumans books. The Jenkins-Lee 12 series was pretty cool but I just don't have the time to suffer through this.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Not even lying, I completely forgot about this already lol.

The Kree

Banned

A produced said to a set designer: Look, we only got $38 and four hours to put together this stairwell before the cast goes back to their coke fueled orgy fuck binge at the cabana for the day. How do we make it look alien and cool?

The set designer pondered the question for a moment and replied: Recessed lighting.

Wag

Even for those of us who review TV programs for a living, it’s difficult to capture the breadth, depth and scope of “Inhumans’” awfulness (which had to have been terrible on a larger scale when the pilot was released in IMAX theatres weeks ago). The characters are somehow less than one-dimensional, the story is beyond predictable, and everything looks cheaper than a “Doctor Who” serial from 40 years ago.

From the Variety review.

Hahahaha.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Variety review

"The characters are somehow less than one-dimensional, the story is beyond predictable, and everything looks cheaper than a “Doctor Who” serial from 40 years ago".

Damn.

And if you haven't seen those old Doctor Who serials, that is fuckin cheap. Though at least those managed to not look like they were entirely set in a parking garage. They were cheapass sets but they at least looked like sets.

shaneo632

After these reviews I went from not interested to "definitely bingeing the entire season with a crate of beer and some pals"

SpaceWolf

Banned
When it came to the Inhumans, literally all I cared about was Lockjaw and Medusa's magnificent hair, and by all accounts...this show got Lockjaw to pull a Poochie disappearing act and shaved off all of Medusa's hair by the end of the first two episodes.

Like, what the fuck were they expecting from this?

Why was this show made?

For UK GAF, any idea when this will be watchable and on what platform? Netflix? C4 like AOS? I'm nothing more than morbidly curious at this point...

https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/abc-idol-inhuman-1202573827

The same level of enthusiasm does not, however, exist within many at ABC for “Inhumans.” Reviews thus far have been largely negative, reflecting the sentiment inside ABC. Network executives expressed concerns early on to Marvel Television, which produces the series. Subsequent work by Marvel to fine-tune the visuals did little to allay concerns at the network, where executives felt that the scripts were as problematic as the effects that had been mocked by the Marvel fan community on Twitter after a trailer was released. As Slashfilm’s Peter Sciretta wrote on Twitter when scenes from the show were screened at Comic-Con in July, “Wow #Inhumans looks worse than I ever possibly could have imagined. Badly written, horrible costumes, [cheap-looking] designs, film … school level looking visual effects, unmotivated overlit [cinematography], unnecessary slow motion shots. The crowd laughed at the footage.”

“Inhumans” showrunner Scott Buck has already taken a drubbing from fans for steering Netflix’s widely panned Marvel drama “Iron Fist.” In her review of “Inhumans” for Variety, critic Maureen Ryan wrote, “‘Iron Fist’ looks like ‘Citizen Kane’ next to this slapped-together, incoherent, cheap-looking mess.”

When ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey faced questions about the quality of the show in August from reporters who had viewed the premiere at the Television Critics Assn. press tour, she responded, “I think that the episode that you guys have seen is still a bit of a work in progress.”

Thanks to an innovative financing deal with Imax, “Inhumans” comes to ABC with most of its production costs covered, reducing the pressure for the show to perform well when it debuts Sept. 29. The first two episodes of the program were screened in Imax theaters for a week starting Labor Day weekend. The stunt grossed about $1.5 million domestically in nearly 400 theaters, but it also generated more tepid buzz for the series, which revolves around a society of superpowered people who live in a secret colony on the moon.

“Inhumans” has not been the only source of friction between ABC and Marvel. Earlier this year, the mandate came down from Disney for ABC to renew its other Marvel drama, “Agents of SHIELD,” despite the desire by some at the network to end the series after four seasons. Having aired on Tuesdays since its inception, “SHIELD” is shifting to Friday nights this season when “Inhumans” finishes its initial eight-episode run.

Glass Rebel

Earlier this year, the mandate came down from Disney for ABC to renew its other Marvel drama, “Agents of SHIELD,” despite the desire by some at the network to end the series after four seasons.

thank dougie disney

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
In her review of “Inhumans” for Variety, critic Maureen Ryan wrote, “‘Iron Fist’ looks like ‘Citizen Kane’ next to this slapped-together, incoherent, cheap-looking mess.”
Damn.

Attilan looks like 3 middle schoolers put together a paper mache play background and it was shot on the worlds most gaudily lit macy's loading dock.

Legit might be the worst set design I've ever seen from a TV show. They couldn't have spent more than $500 on it.

I know you think it's funny.

I know you think it's a good joke.

I know you think there might be a hint of a redeeming quality in it.

But I urge you...

Please do not watch this.

Do not humour it.

Let it drift away like tear drops in the rain.

Top Bottom