• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MrBelmontvedere said:
easy piracy has all but killed off DS as a moneymaker for Nintendo.

DS software sales remain exceedingly high and produce approximately one metric fuckton of money for Nintendo every quarter, so the idea that piracy has "killed" the profitability of the DS is total bullshit.

orioto said:
The cellphone penetration is kinda unstoppable, as everyone in the future, from kids to old people, will have a smart phone at some point. If they know they can play with it, they won't (or there parents won't) buy something else, cause of money, place in the pocket, handbags.. etc.. Unfortunately, the future is about a everything in one device.

The ideal of convergence that people in the tech business like to push is that instead of a bunch of unique devices that do individual things great, you can get one device that does all those things shittily. There are lots of people who for whatever reason seem to love this idea, but the reality of convergence is that it only actually works when a convergence product is 100% as good for every purpose the target audience uses the standalone device for. In order to predict convergence, you have to look at how people use their devices and what functionality they'd lose by moving to an all-in-one.

The issue with smartphones replacing dedicated gaming systems is that .99c casual games and $5 serious-but-compact titles (collectively still what butters the bread of phone game sales) don't replace what the majority of the portable gaming market buy systems for, and $800 smartphones themselves don't fill many of the market niches for portable gaming systems either (especially kids.) If anything, people should be talking about how the iPod Touch will kill portable gaming, but the economics of that business aren't all lined up yet (only Apple is really offering a product like this and even they have to cut a lot of corners to price it where they want it.)

Ultimately we've all seen how PC gaming worked out: economically viable and worthwhile of consideration for all gaming enthusiasts, but in no way whatsoever a replacement for dedicated gaming consoles. I very much expect phones and handhelds to have a similar relationship for a long time to come, and if/when they do merge together it'll be a result of phones changing to move closer to handhelds.

szaromir said:
they may switch to 3rd party development.

Oh my fucking God. :lol

plagiarize said:
i need to go back to England to retrain myself in the ways of sarcasm.

Nah, just move to New England -- all of the sarcasm, but with much better food!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
MrBelmontvedere said:
the PC in is a period of resurgence right now because the consoles are ~5 years old, and well past their "use by" date (aka they are old and covered in cobwebs). when a new generation is released (that should happen in 2 years? 3 years? MS has said up to 5 years...) that typically gets reversed and consoles go into resurgence over PC gaming. for now it all still appears to be cyclical.

when the new generation arrives (don't hold your breath waiting...) the mentality will switch and people will be saying "forget PC gaming, I can do all that on my PS4."
My post was sarcastic :)

ILikeFeet said:
diarrea is an American staple!

Never been to Mexico....

Anyway, getting back on topic, no one really commented on just the dev kits only having 64MB of RAM, while the system will have more for the OS.
It does seem a bit of a stretch, but you never know.
We can already assume that they are holding off 512MB from the flash memory for stuff.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i still really like the 7 layer burrito from taco bell. i have much nostalgia for that thing. it used to be the carrot my mom used to get me to actually attend my karate lessons. after class, we'd drive straight from the dojo to taco bell and i would completely destroy the burrito before we could reach the house.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
charlequin said:
Cutting-edge iterative technologies will advance beyond what fixed-function stable platforms do; that is the purpose of cutting-edge iterative technologies. That doesn't mean that well-designed, fixed-function closed systems are obsolete or not well suited in many ways to the purpose they're put to.
Quoted for form and substance. Well put, charlequin.

Apropos, I wonder how many of the 'my phone's specs murder the handheld consoles' crowd in this thread know that the 1st and 2nd gen iphone/ipod touch had a GPU capable of vertex shaders, which functionality Apple never exposed to developers, despite the latter clearly needing that tech for better games?

Boney said:
*ahem*

I guess the days are finally taking the tolls on us.

Hey, we're still doing some good discussion about the device itself, even with us being this far along.
That's a very good sign.

Sickboy007 said:
So, how would you feel about a packed-in Avatar?

Neutral. I already have it on BluRay (hey, I enjoyed it for what it was).
I'm more looking forward to renting How To Train Your Dragon. I think that'll be neat to watch on the 3DS.

wrowa

charlequin said:
DS software sales remain exceedingly high and produce approximately one metric fuckton of money for Nintendo every quarter, so the idea that piracy has "killed" the profitability of the DS is total bullshit.
Well, in Europe the DS software sales took a nosedive, though, and piracy is an important reason for it. Some aquaintances of mine, who own game shops, are literally whining every time I'm talking with them that the only reason people visit their shops anymore is to ask whether or not they are selling "those SD cards".

The DS and DS software are still profitable, that goes without saying, but piracy is definitely a huge problem.

orioto

Good Art™
charlequin said:
The ideal of convergence that people in the tech business like to push is that instead of a bunch of unique devices that do individual things great, you can get one device that does all those things shittily. There are lots of people who for whatever reason seem to love this idea, but the reality of convergence is that it only actually works when a convergence product is 100% as good for every purpose the target audience uses the standalone device for. In order to predict convergence, you have to look at how people use their devices and what functionality they'd lose by moving to an all-in-one.

The issue with smartphones replacing dedicated gaming systems is that .99c casual games and $5 serious-but-compact titles (collectively still what butters the bread of phone game sales) don't replace what the majority of the portable gaming market buy systems for, and $800 smartphones themselves don't fill many of the market niches for portable gaming systems either (especially kids.) If anything, people should be talking about how the iPod Touch will kill portable gaming, but the economics of that business aren't all lined up yet (only Apple is really offering a product like this and even they have to cut a lot of corners to price it where they want it.)

Ultimately we've all seen how PC gaming worked out: economically viable and worthwhile of consideration for all gaming enthusiasts, but in no way whatsoever a replacement for dedicated gaming consoles. I very much expect phones and handhelds to have a similar relationship for a long time to come, and if/when they do merge together it'll be a result of phones changing to move closer to handhelds.

Hmm, let's talk real here. Gamers seems to live in some fantasy world where there exigences in term of game are the same as the mass market...

That's why i was speaking about gamers who will still prefer a real handled, and kids who prefer something that's more like a toy for them. But, but but, don't ever forget that the NDS and Wii generation have this particular specificity that they opened the market to casuals. And believe me, the soccer mom who bought wii fit, wii sport, the dads who bought brainstorm, the girls who bought nintendogs etc... The ones that made the NDS and Wii an "abnormal" success for a Nintendo console in recent years... Those ones, they can find everything they need on on iphone.

And i know the gamer intelligentsia has no problem to decide angry birds or those things, or facebook games, are shit and not "real" videogames, but you may be surprised by the future of this industry. I'm pretty certain that even some gamers played a lot more of this game than they did with any console games in the last months. And they actually enjoyed it a lot, but hey, i guess it wasn't "gaming" or worthy of being called gaming. Nintendo would have been pretty happy with a device and this game by their own department, believe me, they wouldn't be ashamed of it, at all.

People should just face it. Things are changing, and if the iphone doesn't allow lots of genre, due to the ergonomic, that's doesn't mean he doesn't represent a giant mainstream gaming platform for a whole demographic, growing up more fastly than anything.

Now, the NDS is a market phenomenon, and the 3DS will probably sell A LOT, just based on the momentum, but that's not meaning anything on the long term. Everything was fine for Nintendo in 94, except for the fact that their view were wayyy too far from what the market would inevitably become 1 year later (playstation, older gamers, focus on sport, cool, jamiroquai, espn, simulations.. what made the playstation cool). Sometime, everything seems to go fine, but the worlds is already collapsing under your foot.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Avatar would make the 3DS more popular. "See Avatar like you seen it in theaters. But WITHOUT glasses"

but if you want something more kid-friendly (a PG movie instead of a PG13 one) then How To Train Your Dragon would do good. I would say Tangled or that Owl movie but they want those in theaters first. unless they work out a deal and make it exclusive to the 3DS until they come out on DVD and Blu Ray

WillyFive

ILikeFeet said:
Avatar would make the 3DS more popular. "See Avatar like you seen it in theaters. But WITHOUT glasses"

but if you want something more kid-friendly (a PG movie instead of a PG13 one) then How To Train Your Dragon would do good. I would say Tangled or that Owl movie but they want those in theaters first. unless they work out a deal and make it exclusive to the 3DS until they come out on DVD and Blu Ray

Toy Story 3

szaromir

Banned
BishopLamont said:
As long as Nintendo software is exclusive people will have to buy their hardware for it. Essentially, consumers have no choice on hardware.
Gamecube has shown that platform based on solely Nintendo software has limited appeal. Granted Nintendo got a lot smarter since that era with their software design, but still their device has to offer some features beyond what competition is already offering at the time.
charlequin said:
Oh my fucking God.
Really insightful.

Gravijah

ShockingAlberto said:
I guess I would watch it once, stick it somewhere in a corner, and never stop wondering if I paid extra for it.

If some of the people here have their way, you would have paid 50 extra for it.

szaromir said:
Really insightful.

mr quin had to stoop to your level for a bit.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Willy105 said:
Toy Story 3

even better :D

Boney said:
No movies, I just want the augmented reality demo.

this would be a good idea. will probably work better as this is a gaming unit, not a multimedia device. however, since it can play movies (and music by extension), you can't exacly say it isn't one

apana

szaromir said:
Gamecube has shown that platform based on solely Nintendo software has limited appeal. Granted Nintendo got a lot smarter since that era with their software design, but still their device has to offer some features beyond what competition is already offering at the time.

Really insightful.

Yeah but they still made a nice profit on the gamecube and gba. Nintendo can always figure something out and when they cant they will fall back on old franchises.

szaromir

Banned
apana said:
Yeah but they still made a nice profit on the gamecube and gba. Nintendo can always figure something out and when they cant they will fall back on old franchises.
GBA was definitely the market leader though, with tons of 3rd party support. I don't know what the future will be like, I only suggested that it might be a better option for Nintendo to become software-only company, not that they will or that's an immediate future.

Celine

Sickboy007 said:
I would questioned Nintendo behavior.
You want to bundle demo/game that explain why your game system is so awesome instead of movie that could be only a collateral business for Nintendo.

szaromir said:
GBA was definitely the market leader though, with tons of 3rd party support. I don't know what the future will be like, I only suggested that it might be a better option for Nintendo to become software-only company, not that they will or that's an immediate future.
Nintendo is what it is because it it the only game company with integrated hardware/software divisions.
Being a software-only company would mean the end for Nintendo.

ShinNL

I know one huge market that can be captured. Yu-Gi-Oh real life TCG with codes, using 3DS like Eye of Judgement to see 3 fucking D projections. That shit will be unstoppable if they did that and when executed properly.

For me I would like to see Nintendogs have an augmented reality bonus card or something, so I can let my miniature cat hop around my desk if I feel like it.

Actually, I think most augmented reality ideas can be huge hits due to the 3D camera + 3D screen combination. That combo is insane, since it will really make it seem like you're looking through a dimensional window.

Also cool: if every game comes with a card with a code and if you look at it with your 3DS you get Smash Bros-like trophies.

Boney

Banned
ILikeFeet said:
this would be a good idea. will probably work better as this is a gaming unit, not a multimedia device. however, since it can play movies (and music by extension), you can't exacly say it isn't one
so?

add a trailer if you want, I'm sure we'll be able to stream them as well, it's a gaming device first and foremost. Fuck watching crappy movies in tiny screens

Gravijah

szaromir said:

Nintendo made tons of profit on one of their biggest flops (GameCube)... Why the hell would it be smart to go software only at some point in the future?

charlequin said:
Nah, just move to New England -- all of the sarcasm, but with much better food!
i *live* in New England and the above is not accurate. people rag on the british for having 'bland' food, but here in New England i have to buy my spices and hot sauces off the internet.

here in New England you cannot buy Doritos most popular limited edition flavour whenever they bring it out, because people in New England say things like 'I don't like lite Ranch because it's too spicy' or 'this new Dominos pizza sauce is a bit too spicy for my liking'.

traditional English food is terrible. that's why hardly anyone in England eats it any more and instead we have all these awesome alternatives.

i think i went off topic a bit.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
szaromir said:
I'd say Nintendo as a console manufacturer would disappear and all the dev teams would migrate to other studios rather than Nintendo being this huge 3rd party

wrowa

szaromir said:
And the DS and Wii have shown that plattforms based solely on Nintendo software can have an enormous appeal. (Yes, I know, there are many great and great-selling 3rd party games especially on the DS, but it's due to Nintendo's software that DS and Wii become to the blockbuster-consoles they are)

What this shows, though, is that Nintendo needs new software that appeals to the "zeitgeist" and becomes the next big thing. New iterations of Nintendogs, Brain Training and Mario etc won't be enough in order to continue the enormous success of the DS - because as Orioto already stated: casuals can be satisfied with cell phone games and Facebook games. Nintendo has to win their attention with something new and simply offering the old stuff "now in 3D!" could very well be too less to win their hearts.

Gravijah

plagiarize said:
i *live* in New England and the above is not accurate. people rag on the british for having 'bland' food, but here in New England i have to buy my spices and hot sauces off the internet.

here in New England you cannot buy Doritos most popular limited edition flavour whenever they bring it out, because people in New England say things like 'I don't like lite Ranch because it's too spicy' or 'this new Dominos pizza sauce is a bit too spicy for my liking'.

traditional English food is terrible. that's why hardly anyone in England eats it any more and instead we have all these awesome alternatives.

i think i went off topic a bit.

Wait, what the fuck? Ranch isn't spicy. I can't eat spicy food at all and I love the ranch flavor!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Sickboy007 said:
It'd be a great marketing tool. Just as the Spiderman movie bundled with launch PSPs was a 'woa, look at that gorgeous screen' seller.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
Nintendo made tons of profit on one of their biggest flops (GameCube)... Why the hell would it be smart to go software only at some point in the future?
The thing is, by having propretiary hardware, your own software sales will go through the roof.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
szaromir said:
DS remained the market leader with bigger 3rd party support than GBA and 3DS will have bigger market share and 3rd party support than DS. I can't find a single reason Nintendo becoming a software-only company.

Gravijah

Chris1964 said:
DS remained the market leader with bigger 3rd party support than GBA and 3DS will have bigger market share and 3rd party support than DS. I can't find a single reason Nintendo becoming a software-only company.

Dig deeper! Maybe the reason is under your shoe!

wrowa

szaromir said:
The DS is Nintendo's most successful handheld, the Wii is Nintendo's most successful home-console. After these recent successes your are seriously proposing that Nintendo should become a software-only company?

wrowa said:
And the DS and Wii have shown that plattforms based solely on Nintendo software can have an enormous appeal. (Yes, I know, there are many great and great-selling 3rd party games especially on the DS, but it's due to Nintendo's software that DS and Wii become to the blockbuster-consoles they are)

What this shows, though, is that Nintendo needs new software that appeals to the "zeitgeist" and becomes the next big thing. New iterations of Nintendogs, Brain Training and Mario etc won't be enough in order to continue the enormous success of the DS - because as Orioto already stated: casuals can be satisfied with cell phone games and Facebook games. Nintendo has to win their attention with something new and simply offering the old stuff "now in 3D!" could very well be too less to win their hearts.

What they really need is a social networking game that can appeal to the Facebook Framville crowd.
Animal Crossing could have been that, but I don't think they'll use it as such.
Maybe a new Mii based game, though.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I believe that when we'll see unique gaming experiences that can only be achievable on the 3DS, people will shut up about this smartphone overlapping dedicated gaming handheld nonsense for a while.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Boney said:
so?

add a trailer if you want, I'm sure we'll be able to stream them as well, it's a gaming device first and foremost. Fuck watching crappy movies in tiny screens

I always thought that Nintendo has been saying "this is a gaming device, not a multimedia device" was funny.

watching movies on small screens isn't that bad unless the screen is very small like 2 in.

szaromir

Banned
Gravijah said:
To enjoy more sales from the software side of things? OK, I'm done with this discussion, there's no point in me speculating and I'm probably wrong.

Gravijah

Vic said:
I believe that when we'll see unique gaming experiences that can only be achievable on the 3DS, people will shut up about this smartphone overlapping dedicated gaming handheld nonsense for a while.

My favorite unique gaming experience is gonna be MGS3 NOW IN 3D!

szaromir said:
To enjoy more sales from the software side of things? OK, I'm done with this discussion, there's no point in me speculating and I'm probably wrong.

Because third parties are all doing so well! Don't hardware manfuacturers also make licensing money off of other peoples game sales?

apana

orioto said:
Hmm, let's talk real here. Gamers seems to live in some fantasy world where there exigences in term of game are the same as the mass market...

That's why i was speaking about gamers who will still prefer a real handled, and kids who prefer something that's more like a toy for them. But, but but, don't ever forget that the NDS and Wii generation have this particular specificity that they opened the market to casuals. And believe me, the soccer mom who bought wii fit, wii sport, the dads who bought brainstorm, the girls who bought nintendogs etc... The ones that made the NDS and Wii an "abnormal" success for a Nintendo console in recent years... Those ones, they can find everything they need on on iphone.

And i know the gamer intelligentsia has no problem to decide angry birds or those things, or facebook games, are shit and not "real" videogames, but you may be surprised by the future of this industry. I'm pretty certain that even some gamers played a lot more of this game than they did with any console games in the last months. And they actually enjoyed it a lot, but hey, i guess it wasn't "gaming" or worthy of being called gaming. Nintendo would have been pretty happy with a device and this game by their own department, believe me, they wouldn't be ashamed of it, at all.

People should just face it. Things are changing, and if the iphone doesn't allow lots of genre, due to the ergonomic, that's doesn't mean he doesn't represent a giant mainstream gaming platform for a whole demographic, growing up more fastly than anything.

Now, the NDS is a market phenomenon, and the 3DS will probably sell A LOT, just based on the momentum, but that's not meaning anything on the long term. Everything was fine for Nintendo in 94, except for the fact that their view were wayyy too far from what the market would inevitably become 1 year later (playstation, older gamers, focus on sport, cool, jamiroquai, espn, simulations.. what made the playstation cool). Sometime, everything seems to go fine, but the worlds is already collapsing under your foot.

Really you're all over the place I dont know where to start. Nintendo has always acknowledged that they compete with a lot of other entertainment platforms and that it's their job to get the expanded audience actively interested in gaming. Or is this just another variation of Nintendo is perpetually doomed mantra that keeps getting louder the more succesful they become.

szaromir

Banned
Gravijah said:
Because third parties are all doing so well! Don't hardware manfuacturers also make licensing money off of other peoples game sales?
They do. As for the first point, are you suggesting Nintendo is subsidizing their software development from hardware profits?

ILikeFeet

Banned
I was just thinking about something, Capcom said their engine can only do motion blur in 2D. is it possible that the brain makes the image blur instead of adding blur to the picture?

Gravijah

szaromir said:
They do. As for the first point, are you suggesting Nintendo is subsidizing their software development from hardware profits?

I'm saying Nintendo makes money off of hardware sales, their own software sales, & other peoples (IIRC) software sales. Why would they ever want to just go to one stream of revenue?

orioto

Good Art™
apana said:
Really you're all over the place I dont know where to start. Nintendo has always acknowledged that they compete with a lot of other entertainment platforms and that it's their job to get the expanded audience actively interested in gaming. Or is this just another variation of Nintendo is perpetually doomed mantra that keeps getting louder the more succesful they become.

I never said Nintendo isn't seeing all that, i'm saying gamers don't see that. I was answering someone.

szaromir said:

Really insightful.
You can't be seriously comparing the software output and quality for the GC generation and this generation. You know why it was limited in appeal? Look at the software released for it. They're about to come out with the the friggin 3DS, of all three console manufacturers, you're worried Nintendo is going to be the one to be complacent in the hardware innovation department, when its the key to setting their software apart from other consoles?

Even though we're only 1 generation apart from the "old" Nintendo, its virtually a different company in terms of how they operate now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom