• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Excuse me it's called vore.

Masochism is completely different.

JulianImp

Thank you for teaching me a new word.....
image.php

I'll probably watch The Eccentric Family eventually, but not yet. I guess I'll get to see for myself why people would go M for that kind of character then, but I don't think I can really understand such a thing for now.

So right now Made in Abyss is pacing at 1 Vol per 3 episodes....they will either need slow it down or speed it up/skip stuff. Since if they keep this pacing as is, the anime will end in a middle of an "arc".

Glitter Force DokiDoki news

Maya = Makoto
Mackenzie = Rikka
Rachel = Alice
Clara = Mana
but they're keeping Regina

King Selfish/Jikochu = Mercenares
Trump Kingdom = Splendorius

....30 episodes long!?

Sterok

Glitter Force DokiDoki news

Maya = Makoto
Mackenzie = Rikka
Rachel = Alice
Clara = Mana
but they're keeping Regina

King Selfish/Jikochu = Mercenares
Trump Kingdom = Splendorius

....30 episodes long!?

What's with Rikka's name? Everyone else is simple, and then there's her. I look forward to seeing how they manage one of the more plot-centric Precure with half the episodes.

What's with Rikka's name? Everyone else is simple, and then there's her. I look forward to seeing how they manage one of the more plot-centric Precure with half the episodes.

Honestly I feel like everyone's name could be swapped around to be more fitting.

Andrew J.

Code Geass - Up to #12
God damn it, why couldn't more chessmaster protagonists be like Lelouch? Instead of being a generic edgy Gary Stu who gets to have everything go his way until the very end, he's constantly being set back by events not even he could anticipate, even if the general outcome is always favorable to him and his allies. All these small failures are also helping reinforce his character as he is forced to react to the consequences of his actions (unlike, say, Death Note's Light), and also adds tension to most of his plans (except for his apparent inhability to account for the white prototype).

That's because, at least up to this point, Code Geass is a typical robot action show with a perspective flip. The protagonist is an evil(ish) mastermind who is constantly foiled by an antagonist who's an (apparently) noble hero with a unique, super-powerful machine.

blurr

Dunkirk

This was good in ways I didn't expect it to be. Essentially, a war movie that portrays soldiers as humans struggling for survival and less as heroes on one end, a humane and calculated attempt to save them on the other ends respectively. The intertwining situations from three different locations is not unseen in films but a time elements adds some perspective and thought to it albeit it doesn't matter until the very end. The ending stood out with its message and sense of relief from rescue but it was too brief to sink in the realization of letting down and understanding the value of what they struggled with.

It's an odd film overall and I respect it being different.

I thought it was the other way around?

:D moar Aho Girl! In truth I wanted the whole season to be out for a binge but having changed jobs recently I just haven't had the time to sink into a nice Eccentric Family binge. I like Benten as she's a rare commodity in anime both as a well realised antagonist and a female character who's sexuality isn't expressed through a fetish outfit.

petran79

Banned
G Gundam is a sports battle anime! Also the Yamato 2199 remake is 100% worth watching!

Sports battle series are low priority right now but if I become interested in the genre I'll give it a look.

Last Matsumoto modern series I watched and found dreadfull was Space Symphony Maetel, a series that got positive results mostly. So I fear to touch anything newer from Leijiverse.
I liked the Queen Esmeralda OVA though.

icedragon08

Neo Member
So right now Made in Abyss is pacing at 1 Vol per 3 episodes....they will either need slow it down or speed it up/skip stuff. Since if they keep this pacing as is, the anime will end in a middle of an "arc".

I trink your math is wrong. If they continue to do 3 chapters per episode they will finish with ch. 38 with is the end of Volume 5 and the end of the arc.

Review thread of the live-action Death Note movie. Seems the movie is definitely a better effort than Dragon Ball Evolution, The Last Airbender, and Ghost in the Shell.

Not a high standard to surpass!

Man, I'm thinking now again what a waste was Ghost in the Shell. It didn't have to ape the now classic film, it could have used it own style and still be good. There were several things they could have done. Example:
-Go hard in the philosophical angle. What is human consciousness in a world where there are near humans AI agents and where there is mostly humans with cyber brains, and robot bodies with human brains.
-Go hard in the action scifi angle. Use up well the fact they are in the future and make a 'supers' movie with their superhuman dexterity and strength. They can turn invisible, they should have asked, what else they can do? They could have made something inventive with the hacking angle, hacking different people and objects in the environment in the middle of a fight to gain an edge, the manga does it.
-Go hard in the police/detective angle. They could have done a complex and interesting investigation, with different actors and factions helping or hindering or manipulating it, with twists and sudden surprises in it.

What we got was so bleeh.

Symphogear s1

idol girls in robot armor fighting stuff, this show seems definitely up my alley, plus nana mizuki singing/voicing tsubasa makes it double relevant to my interests. cant wait to get caught up to AXZ as i can tell this is going to be one hell of a ride.

Narag

Symphogear AXZ 2

Ep was fun and I appreciated the little animated bits of flourish going on during the action but I lost it at Hibiki one-shotting the invincible monster at the end then mouthing off holy shit lol

Lain

Made in the Abyss 1-2

Decided to watch the first 2 episodes since the show got licensed on VVVVID (Italian streaming site) and... they were pretty great. I really got nothing to complain about this. Nice characters, nice animations, nice art, nice interactions, cool backdrop, everything feel done with care and love. It's no Symphogear but it's up there pretty close.

Narag

Symphogear AXZ 3

I don't know why the show is suddenly in love with impact frames and kanadaesque lens flare but i ain't complaining

Mawaru Penguindrum 1 - END

Tragically disappointing. The first half of the show is absolutely phenomenal. The art, music, animation, writing and direction were all on point. The show iterates on many of the concepts that made Utena great, while adding new quirks to make the show stand out on its own. I was also struck by just how genuinely funny and charming this show was. Unfortunately, by the halfway point, the show just completely loses the plot. It becomes increasingly more abstract and surreal, with some bad plot beats thrown in that go absolutelynowhere. Abstraction is great if there's something to ground it, but without it, it just makes it more difficult to connect with the show. For example, the driving sequences in Utena are surreal as fuck, but they're the perfect example of abstraction done right.

Everyone who's watched Utena is completely aware of what this sequence represents.

What does the Child Broiler represent (a commentary on the loneliness that children might feel after experiencing a hopeless upbringing?) Or that one sequence where
Kanba and Shoma are starving children stuck in cages (an orphanage allegory)? Or changing destiny? Momoka's diary? Ghosts? While stylized, it mostly comes across as nonsensical.
Most of the character resolutions were really disappointing. Kanba's direction is just depressing, because hee was absolutely fantastic in the first half. Shoma never amounts to anything as a character, and Ringo loses her relevance and agency by the end.

The show's biggest offender is Yuri. Yuri is just... no good. It's clear her
homosexuality, rape and attempted(?) rape of Ringo was done for shock value, but they couldn't even commit to it.
Utena didn't shy away from seriously distressing material, but those moments had significantly more gravity. Those terrible things meant something in the grand scheme of things and often led to great resolutions. Yuri's entire character is just ridiculously juvenile. I wish Tabuki and Yuri shouldn't have gotten more relevance because they were so much better as side characters.[/spoiler]

I wanted to love this anime because there was so much love and care put into it, but it's difficult to reconcile a show that manages to jump the shark. Twice. Still, it's not like I had a completely terrible time. The music, art and visual direction were consistently great to the end, and the show did have its fair share of great moments.But still, this show could have been so much greater it actually hurts.

I think it's safe to say that a number of people, myself included, feel similarly about the show. It had a lot of great moments ("Mr. President, Watch Out!"), and I really do enjoy the art direction and use of music, but it was kind of an unfocused mess at the same time. The back half really did fall apart in a lot of ways. Perhaps Ikuhara had too many ideas that he was unable to properly organize, but the show as a whole simply fails to cohere. It did feel close to hitting its mark, but just couldn't swing it. Ah well. As you say, it's not a total loss, but this and Yuri Kuma Arashi even more so were kind of a disappointing return to directing after his long post-Utena absence. And he's been totally quiet since then. Perhaps he'll show up to assist his recent partner Tomohiro Furukawa, who's directing the upcoming anime Revue Starlight, which looks kind of Utena-ish. That could be nice.

Jintor

Boku no Hero 29

direction these past three eps has been really good. Not perfect but pretty damn good. Really shocking scenes, a clash of wills and belief, good shit

blurr

Yea, Peguindrum is heavy on allegory but personally I found my answer to most of them and I am largely satisfied. I can understand when people say it goes a bit too far but it was a bizarre and fascinating enough experience for me to overlook what it overdoes. This is a show I can see myself revere for years.

Erheller

Gamers! 1-2

Let's get it out of the way. This show's first episode did a really good job of telling me that it was trash. Overly exaggerated characters defined solely by their quirks. Nice guy main character. Most popular girl at school who is inexplicably in love with said main character.

I was expecting the second episode to be more of the same. Aside from the fun OP, the first half didn't give me any hope. But I was kind of impressed* when Cool Guy had his monologue to Main Character. There's a decent amount to unpack there: Main Character is dismissive of Cool Guy's social life, When you're a loner, it's easy to turn your inability or unwillingness to interact with other people into a weapon. "Look at all of those normal people, having social lives and making friends. They'll find out soon enough that friends are fake blah blah blah." I had a lot of those thoughts as a high schooler. It's why Hikigaya from Oregairu made such a large impression on me, and why I think so highly of that show's second season, where he grows as a person and comes to reject the failings of his worldview. I'm seeing shades of Hikigaya in the Main Character, the one person I had the least hope for being a compelling character. And Cool Guy also had some decent development, too. He hid his gaming hobby to look cool, but the person who's infatuated with him thought he was coolest when he was a nerd. Cool Guy and the Main Character had a surprising amount of depth and nuance, more than I thought the show capable of.

I'll probably keep an eye on this show. The references are fun, and the characters have potential. That said, I'm keeping my expectations in check. There's a pretty good chance it'll just be trash anyways. I'm hoping the rest of the season will be closer to episode 2 than episode 1.

*I use the word "impressed" here in the sense that I'd be impressed if I stepped on a dog turd and found that it was just solid enough to not get smeared all over the sole of my shoe

Narag

My Hero Academia S2 16

Deku's come a long way since episode 1. Ep opening with people actually surprised Endeavor showed up to do something (which I take here as more him doing something actually heroic instead of hey why are you in the neighborhood) made for a really nice contrast with Stain's later decision to let Deku live since he actually was hero material in the traditional sense rather than the vocational.

petran79

Banned

I wanted to love this anime because there was so much love and care put into it, but it's difficult to reconcile a show that manages to jump the shark. Twice. Still, it's not like I had a completely terrible time. The music, art and visual direction were consistently great to the end, and the show did have its fair share of great moments.But still, this show could have been so much greater it actually hurts.

Visual direction was fine but animation not so. I dont believe they used those cardboard figures for artistic but rather budget purposes. Having watched Utena before,this was an insult.

At least Yuri Kuma Arashi had better animation since it was crammed to 13 episodes.

Jex

Been watching Monster, since it seems to be randomly recommended in most threads I go to.

It's very slowly paced and it likes to often focus on characters outside the protagonist for several episodes in a row, but I'm enjoying it, if anything due to how different it is from the usual anime shows I've watched in recent years. I'm on episode 40 so I might as well go all the way.

I think Monster's many and varied divergent plots are the show's greatest assist. While the series as a whole can feel like it's meandering, many of the side characters that we follow are far more interesting, and even have better character arcs, than Tenma himself.

MSonic Episode 5 end

Everything needs two things a school spin off and and idol spinoff, sure it was just girl but it was fun to get idol group in the monster strike universe (Lucy still the best).

Jex

Made in Abyss 3
[...]
How it's full of dangers. How NO ONE has reached the bottom (that they know of). How if you are not killed by the environment or the monsters the curse of the abyss will hit you, making you sick, or going crazy or killing you eventually. We could see one of the kids puking just in the first level, and they have to go 6th or 7th. And that's not counting they are children, of course.
As much she is wishing to go and reunite with her mom, it should be clear it's impossible, at least right now.

Not to say that these children aren't going on a suicide mission (because they're clearly are), but the Curse of the Abyss seems to specifically apply on your return journey, like a diver coming up to the surface too fast. We don't see Nat throwing up at level one - only as he's heading home. So they won't be affected by the curse on their descent, but if Riko ever wanted to return to the surface she would be unable to.

Monster Strike s2 Episode 17

A full moon for two weeks is hard to wrap my mind around, would that mean the earth stopped rotating, I wonder how that would affect things unfortunately I guess that thinking is beyond the scope of a simple game adaptation anime :(

Well, I screwed my Wife over. I bought Hunter x Hunter Set 1 for Prime Day. I've read the manga, continue to follow it, but I've become a bit lukewarm after the Chimera Ant Arc (One of those people who doesn't see what the fuss is) and all the hiatus hitting this current, incredibly complex arc.

I asked her if she wanted to try Episode 1-- 11 Episodes later and now she's so addicted she has to ration the last two episodes on the set because we don't have Set 2, and Set 3 also doesn't hit till October. Make matters worse, only just realized it runs on Toonami, but they're 40+ episodes ahead and there's no streaming for the dub (She doesn't really want to watch it subbed since she likes to fiddle with her phone when watching stuff at night. She's a Night Owl). =/ what have I done to her?

blurr

My Hero Academia 29

This episode's portrayal of Midoriya's analytical approach felt like an OP skill borderlining a Quirk of its own but I'll let it slide considering how engaging it has been keeping up with his narration. It's also very cool to see his 5% in action with some gratifying blows and oh my god, he teams up with Todoroki as well. Despite this duo, Stain was no ordinary villain. We'll have to see if Iida makes a difference.

All that and I didn't even highlight some great moments of dialogue and messages in between.

I didn't really feel it at first but this OP is really great albeit I'd still say the OP before this is better.

Ascheroth

My Hero Academia 29

This episode's portrayal of Midoriya's analytical approach felt like an OP skill borderlining a Quirk of its own but I'll let it slide considering how engaging it has been keeping up with his narration. It's also very cool to see his 5% in action with some gratifying blows and oh my god, he teams up with Todoroki as well. Despite this duo, Stain was no ordinary villain. We'll have to see if Iida makes a difference.

All that and I didn't even highlight some great moments of dialogue and messages in between.

I didn't really feel it at first but this OP is really great albeit I'd still say the OP before this is better.
Funnily enough this is the first OP I'm outright skipping because I don't care. The second season has really dropped the ball in terms of OPs, at the least the endings are great...

blurr

I think Monster's many and varied divergent plots are the show's greatest assist. While the series as a whole can feel like it's meandering, many of the side characters that we follow are far more interesting, and even have better character arcs, than Tenma himself.

On the contrary, I've been reading the manga and these side stories though somewhat evocative and thought provoking feel really short lived and ultimately a bit out of place from the main story providing small bouts of touching moments that don't necessarily feel compelling. I wish this had a more meditated and slower pace than it does during these moments.

I've read quite a bit of it but its tendency to be a thriller and a very thought provoking narrative turns me off more often than not. I do intend to finish it at some point.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G Next Episode 34 (engdub)

Again Kazuma, really!? really. Of course he would be the type to lash out in anger, so glad Chrono made it just in time, but still. I wanted a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom