• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I finally watched Rogue One and I have to say, I don't get the "Rogue One > The Force Awakens" hype. I get that TFA gets a lot of grief for jacking all of its story beats from the original trilogy, but I still feel like it was a better put together movie with way more likable leads. I feel like the main thing it has going for itself is its third act where
all the major characters actually bite it on their suicide mission.

Whoops lol

Aquarion Logos 01

I feel like this would be many times more engaging if I could read kanji. But the conflict with words coming to life at least seems fairly interesting, and the MC's savior complex also looks like it can be fun to watch, going forward.

blurr

I do plan on watching this but I had hoped it was Tanaka-kun :(

Ok, so I finally watched Rogue One and I have to say, I don't get the "Rogue One > The Force Awakens" hype. I get that TFA gets a lot of grief for jacking all of its story beats from the original trilogy, but I still feel like it was a better put together movie with way more likable leads. I feel like the main thing it has going for itself is its third act where

Yea, I love the TFA cast and the general setup but most of the movie didn't do anything for me.

Rogue One is a decent film, relatively better experience than TFA but nothing I would glorify over the other.

BluWacky

I... don't think that's a very good description of Haibane Renmei's first episode, Crunchyroll.

(any idea what show that description actually belongs to?)

It's episode 8 of the first season of Haganai, which is presumably the show before Haibane Renmei alphabetically in Crunchyroll's database which might have something to do with the mixup.

Quasar

Well I didn't like TFA but did like Rogue Quite a bit. Its my favourite post Jedi Star Wars film. Admittedly thats not a very high bar.

I liked the tone, and i liked that it explored a different part of the SW universe in terms of films. I do wish I could see the original vision for the film though, before Disney interfered and fired the director and retooled the film.

zulux21

It is from 2016!

yeah but a year is a period of 12 months, not a mere tick down on the a calendar P
thus that technically released more than a year ago.

now if I had said best comedy that released "last year" then that would include all of 2016 (and none of 2017) but since I said "in the last year" that is referring to the 12 month period that makes up a year encompassing the 365 days before my post was made.

:3

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I thought to myself "Haly you know what these girls need to do, they need to bring their music to SPACE".

And lo' they sang in SPACE.

blurr

yeah but a year is a period of 12 months, not a mere tick down on the a calendar P
thus that technically released more than a year ago.

now if I had said best comedy that released "last year" then that would include all of 2016 (and none of 2017) but since I said "in the last year" that is referring to the 12 month period that makes up a year encompassing the 365 days before my post was made.

:3

200w.gif
I thought to myself "Haly you know with these girls need to do, they need to bring their music to SPACE".

And lo' they sang in SPACE.

Beautiful.

Quasar

Gamers 2 - Continues to be likeable. Am liking the character building. Much more than I expected for a game club comedy show. Tasuku seems way older though than his classmates though.

Szadek

Fate/Apocrypha - Ep. 3
I'm so fucking done with this shit.
Bloated cast with almost no likable characters, way too much boring exposition and probably the most atrocious fight scenes I have ever seen.
Dropped.

Gamers - 02

Wow, I didn't expect to end up really enjoying this show. It's going in the right direction, definitely a keeper for this season for me.

Only reason I'm still watching fate apocrypha is because I really like the interactions of red saber with necromancer dude, their personalities work really well together.

Lord knows much better than actual saber with batman.

Szadek

Only reason I'm still watching fate apocrypha is because I really like the interactions of red saber with necromancer dude, their personalities work really well together.

Lord knows much better than actual saber with batman.
Mordred is one of the very good things about this show.
I just wish she was in a better anime.

Mordred wouldn't exist in another anime because her character premise is too absurd to be in anything but something Fate related.

Just like every other servant in the franchise.

Tuck

I don't know, I watched season 1.

Unless season 2 improved upon it in a big way, Voltron is kinda ehhhhhh.
Voltrom season 2 was significantly better imo. Season 1 was pretty bland.

I still wouldn't call it amazing, but I would call it a good show.

jett

D-Member
Been watching Monster, since it seems to be randomly recommended in most threads I go to.

It's very slowly paced and it likes to often focus on characters outside the protagonist for several episodes in a row, but I'm enjoying it, if anything due to how different it is from the usual anime shows I've watched in recent years. I'm on episode 40 so I might as well go all the way.

Kizumongatari - Part 3

Whereas I wasn't quite taken by the two previous films, this one was thoroughly enjoyable. This time around the fighting actually delivered, big time. Several severed heads merrily laughing and rolling away was some special imagery, alright.

One major criticism I'd direct at this trilogy is that it felt too on the nose experimental at times. I want to say that e.g. these 'helicopter-perspective' shots were too frequent and I don't know if they had the intended effect on me. While they're not fresh in my mind I also recall some obnoxious mini flash forward/backward and time skips in part 1&2. I'll have to rewatch all three in succession some day to form a better opinion on all that, though.

It's certainly nice to finally know what actually happened at the beginning we didn't get to see for years. This trilogy certainly re-contextualizes Koyomi's and Shinobu's relationship and Hanakawa sure played a bigger role early than I expected. Not sure if I find her character more interesting after the movies, however. I want to rewatch the series with all the new context, that's for sure.

Konbini Kareshi Episode 3

Theres moments where the anime has some really pretty moments (anytime they were outside in the rain walking in the park). I just wish they had been able to make the school look as pretty as that, it looks so drab and dull compared to other anime set in school.

Oh well I like how the most advanced ship is actually rubbing off on each others personalities (tailing Nasa and getting all nosy even though they were opposed to it the whole time lol).

-Minsc-

Gamers - 1&2

It's a show that doesn't require me to think and doesn't make me cringe. On top of that it's fun, I like.

Line_HTX

Breaking The Habit

The meaning to all of this animation remained the same after 13 years. It's just that people did not realize it was right in front of them the entire time. Everything from the smoke of Chester's face to the rewinding of different events was done in such a powerful and profound manner that I'm stunned Gonzo didn't do more of these.

I have been staring at every scene and transition on repeat for a good while that I lost count.

Is there a reason why Crunchyroll is heavily backing The Ancient Magus Bride anime? I mean they are going all out by screening the first three episode on July 26th.

Even Studio IG seems eager to push it heavily as well.

Edit: Maybe they view it as a animated Harry Potter lol. A anime version.

PK Gaming

Mawaru Penguindrum 1 - END

Tragically disappointing. The first half of the show is absolutely phenomenal. The art, music, animation, writing and direction were all on point. The show iterates on many of the concepts that made Utena great, while adding new quirks to make the show stand out on its own. I was also struck by just how genuinely funny and charming this show was. Unfortunately, by the halfway point, the show just completely loses the plot. It becomes increasingly more abstract and surreal, with some bad plot beats thrown in that go absolutelynowhere. Abstraction is great if there's something to ground it, but without it, it just makes it more difficult to connect with the show. For example, the driving sequences in Utena are surreal as fuck, but they're the perfect example of abstraction done right.

Everyone who's watched Utena is completely aware of what this sequence represents.

What does the Child Broiler represent (a commentary on the loneliness that children might feel after experiencing a hopeless upbringing?) Or that one sequence where
Kanba and Shoma are starving children stuck in cages (an orphanage allegory)? Or changing destiny? Momoka's diary? Ghosts? While stylized, it mostly comes across as nonsensical.
Most of the character resolutions were really disappointing. Kanba's direction is just depressing, because hee was absolutely fantastic in the first half. Shoma never amounts to anything as a character, and Ringo loses her relevance and agency by the end.

The show's biggest offender is Yuri. Yuri is just... no good. It's clear her
homosexuality, rape and attempted(?) rape of Ringo was done for shock value, but they couldn't even commit to it.
Utena didn't shy away from seriously distressing material, but those moments had significantly more gravity. Those terrible things meant something in the grand scheme of things and often led to great resolutions. Yuri's entire character is just ridiculously juvenile. I wish Tabuki and Yuri shouldn't have gotten more relevance because they were so much better as side characters.[/spoiler]

I wanted to love this anime because there was so much love and care put into it, but it's difficult to reconcile a show that manages to jump the shark. Twice. Still, it's not like I had a completely terrible time. The music, art and visual direction were consistently great to the end, and the show did have its fair share of great moments.But still, this show could have been so much greater it actually hurts.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Made in Abyss Episode 3:

Well, not going to lie, this episode was a bit of a wash. I get the idea just fine but this series really overestimated how much of an emotional connection I would have to Riko and Reg very long goodbye to their friends. Also, we really shouldn't have spent an entire episode on the duo getting into the hole, feels like time was wasted.

Narag

Is there a reason why Crunchyroll is heavily backing The Ancient Magus Bride anime? I mean they are going all out by screening the first three episode on July 26th.

Even Studio IG seems eager to push it heavily as well.

Edit: Maybe they view it as a animated Harry Potter lol. A anime version.

I imagine they're on the production committee.

e_i

Made in Abyss episode 2

These kids need to band together and kill the adults in this show.
They make kids go down into a dangerous pit to get shiny stuff, and abuse them in the meantime?
And this show is supposed to get darker?

TUSR

Banned
Thanks
Have Crunchyroll said any details like regional availability and when episodes will be made available? Can't seem to find it
I peeked around earlier this week and couldn't come up with more than "The Reflection will be streaming on Crunchyroll"

e_i

New Game! dub episodes 1-5

Good dub. The voices fit the characters nicely. Rin's introduction threw me off, with her VA yelling "Hey you!" like a 10 year boy. Hifumi's VA handles Hifumi nicely, switching between her real "shy" mode and her PM "cheery" mode.

Made in Abyss 3

Well, this was a bit below the first two episodes. It's a very transitional episode, it serves to go from 'I will go to search my mom!" to the start of "I'm currently going down to search my mom!". It will really start in the next episode.

Also, idiot MC girl is idiot. She is idiot because the plot needs it to move on but still, it makes me wish already bad things for her future. We could excuse them saying they are innocent children and no responsible adults, but the series makes it clear everyone in the city knows the dangers of the abyss, the city itself is based on the abyss exploration (and they are students of the guild so they know perfectly!).
How it's full of dangers. How NO ONE has reached the bottom (that they know of). How if you are not killed by the environment or the monsters the curse of the abyss will hit you, making you sick, or going crazy or killing you eventually. We could see one of the kids puking just in the first level, and they have to go 6th or 7th. And that's not counting they are children, of course.
As much she is wishing to go and reunite with her mom, it should be clear it's impossible, at least right now.

petran79

Banned
Gundam 0079

Solid and original series overall. Though between episodes 31-39 it became a little boring. Anyway, this is the first and last time I bother with the Gundam franchise.

Series had a little of that 70s craziness that is missing in the other series.

Also tried watching Garden of Sinners but this pacing and animation is not for me. Having watched Tsukihime few years ago, this seems even worse. I can guess why it is rated so high though.
If it cant surpass Boogiepop Phantom, it is not worth watching.

e_i

I'm caustisly optimistic about The Reflection. It's got Stan Lee and the director of Mushishi behind it, but it's Studio DEEN doing the animation. I like the comic book look of the series....but DEEN is hit and miss with their shows.

MSMrRound

Gamers 1-2

Wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. Definitely watchable.

I like a couple of directions that the show went in e.g end of episode 1 and also,

side ship best ship. How did a pair went from "meh" to "I'm 100% supporting these two" within the space of 2 minutes?

Not too bad at all.

That Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax Ultra Super Holddooooo (yes the full name is required) cameo tickled my fancy as well. Teddie player though D=

Made in Abyss 3

Fancy background aside, not feeling it so much. The show needs to dig deeper

Haly, can't wait for you to get to the 2nd season of Symphogear and experience good production values for once.

I'm caustisly optimistic about The Reflection. It's got Stan Lee and the director of Mushishi behind it, but it's Studio DEEN doing the animation. I like the comic book look of the series....but DEEN is hit and miss with their shows.

I know old habits die hard, but after shows such as Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and Konosuba, DEEN by itself should not be a cause for concern. Plus, Nagahama made Mushishi at the (now defunct) studio Artland, which has made nothing else in its history near the level of Mushishi. I don't think The Reflection will suffer from production incompetence.

I know old habits die hard, but after shows such as Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and Konosuba, DEEN by itself should not be a cause for concern. Plus, Nagahama made Mushishi at the (now defunct) studio Artland, which has made nothing else in its history near the level of Mushishi. I don't think The Reflection will suffer from production incompetence.

Yep, while Deen as a whole has been somewhat hit and miss; as of late they've been on a roll with the general quality of their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom