• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

BosSin

Fate/Apocrypha Episode 3

mAP88cW.jpg

OK, so for better or worse I've decided to stick with this anime. I'm still not really liking it, the characters and world have yet to grab me.

Pros:
- At least there was a good fight scene in this episode.

Cons:
- Kawaii Frankenstein. I mean who in the world thought this was a good idea. I would be perfectly ok with a female Frankenstein's monster but the keyword here is MONSTER.
- So much kawaii (Arthur's child, forgot her name and also the majority of the servants act like children)
- Pointless bondage scenes in this episode as well

Cornbread78

Sakarada Reset ep.16
Soma is being very manipulative towards Kei right now. Looks like she is trying to become a "normal" somehow and is doing everything she can to get what she wants using her abilty...

That got a few more responses that I thought it would...

there is much worse that you could be watching.

I...guess that's good...

.....................................................no.

Whole lotta dots there...

Still up for debate. I'll give it a few more episodes.

Watch Love & Lies!

Hrm... This is my backlog season...

it's way better than i thought it would be at least, i'm having fun watching it

Well I liked the first episode. It started off meh, but I think the second half turned things around. Haven't seen episode 2 though. Maybe its just that I related to the non competitive gamer.

So is it just a slow moving/ feel good show of the season or...?

Cornbread78

Fantastic Children ep.16
I took a long break from the show and I come back to get a story from hundreds of years earlier from two different
timelines
including their
home world
, but they are clearly the original spirits of
Helga and Toma
so maybe a ship in current time as well? You know Toma is all about it, but...

That
Hrm... This is my backlog season...

So is it just a slow moving/ feel good show of the season or...?

Love & Lies is worth it so far!

On Gamers, it's just weird. The second episode was better than the first and showed some heart, which was a good sign, but it will probably take a few more episodes to see how it is going to be goibg forward..

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like how they gave the symphogirls telepathy in the finale to save on mouth animation.

Hyoukokun

“Cocoon - Dream of Falling From the Sky - Old Home”
Summer break is coming to an end, and the Neighbors want to ring in the school year with fireworks and yukata at the summer festival! They soon learn a valuable lesson about long hair and open flames.
I... don't think that's a very good description of Haibane Renmei's first episode, Crunchyroll.

(any idea what show that description actually belongs to?)

KraytarJ

Gamers 2
I came in looking to possibly drop it but I'm not sure I can anymore. That was far better than the pretty lame generic thing they put down in episode 1 thanks to a lot of heart and some pretty nice interactions, and while I'm sure it's not going to be a revelation in the end, this could actually be really good.

Oh look a whole bunch of shows to watch as I fight jet lag Haibane Renmei and Ga-Rei:Zero sound interesting..... oh wait not for Ireland :( Nothing reinforces how screwed copyright is for anime than accessing your CR account from the US versus home.

Eccentric Family Episode 2

This show is really weird, but the good kind of weird. Like Tanukis being able to transform into anything, people flying, and a Mom acting like a Prince.

I have to say it is incredibly fucked up
that the father of the three brothers was turned into a stew and it showed Benten.
Like why would Yasubaru get close to her, shouldn't he dislike her for doing that?

Anyway the Mom looks really cute as a tanuki.

HEY!

My face is beautiful.

(I'll watch it.)

To be more specific, season 2 is better because for one thing the best aspect of season 1 was when they left the prologue planet and started having space adventures. Not to mention some of those sweet Korra-level fights but with lasers and jet packs. They opted to give character development and more scenes to two of the main cast that were like ok at best.

In season 2 they give more character development to Keith, Shiro and Allura. They have some damn sweet fight scenes hand to hand Star Wars style, expand on the universe a bit more, and have a bigger variety of episodes such as 'The Space Mall' which by any means should have been a filler episode but they ended up having some great comedy gags, anime references and plot progression. Plus have some shifts in dynamics and character relationships. The show moves a bit more towards a science fantasy side and are from the start going to different places and having different adventures in small arcs.

Keith probably has the most focus on this season which worked by me as the hot headed second in command is so often a very interesting character with much to explore in these shows, and in here he becomes imho the most interesting character of the team with only maybe Shiro having a chance to outdo him.

Some of the battles are in sakuga too if that might entice you to reconsider.
https://sakugabooru.com/post?tags=voltron_legendary_defender+

edit: I think only duckie was watching this show alongside me so not many can back me up on whether season 2 was better, but I recall him enjoying it more than 1?? Narag was watching season 1 too but I expect he will never catch up since it's in his backlog :p

Cornbread78

Eccentric Family Episode 2

This show is really weird, but the good kind of weird. Like Tanukis being able to transform into anything, people flying, and a Mom acting like a Prince.

I have to say it is incredibly fucked up
that the father of the three brothers was turned into a stew and it showed Benten.
Like why would Yasubaru get close to her, shouldn't he dislike her for doing that?

Anyway the Mom looks really cute as a tanuki.

Your journey has just begun my friend and those questions will be answered along the way.

Also, tanuki mom is a great mom!

zulux21

alright... who in the hell thought it was a good idea to make a live action one piece let alone a live action one piece for the west @_@

I really don't know what would be worse a reimagining for the west or something true to the original manga as live action luffy done true to the manga would be the stuff of nightmares @_@

Theres going to be a live action One Piece in the West, which might be the absolute worst idea I have heard in a long time.

I'm not going to believe it until I see further evidence. It might be a planned project that never ends up getting off the ground, and even if it does exist there's nothing currently that says this will be a Western-produced series.

OK, I guess there's more details now:

http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2094481/full/

Some official details from the announcement:

- This is a US TV series
- Produced by Tomorrow Studios
- Tomorrow Studios is headed by Marty Adelstein, the producer of Prison Break

Yeah, I don't know how this is going to work.

Cornbread78

Seven Deadly Sins ep.15-16
Some nice fights in these episodes as the plot finally starts to come together and shit is getting real. I really hate kidnapping plotlines though.... writers really need to find new plot lines for this shit..

alright... who in the hell thought it was a good idea to make a live action one piece let alone a live action one piece for the west @_@

I really don't know what would be worse a reimagining for the west or something true to the original manga as live action luffy done true to the manga would be the stuff of nightmares @_@

I mean they made a Live Action Tokyo Ghoul and its releasing next week in Japan. So nothing is impossible and its good way to make money.

Although it looks decent judging from the trailers which I have seen.

Edit: oh its a TV series welp. Gonna be like Inhumans lol.

I'm going to say that even if they were given the production staff of Game of Thrones and the budget that show has, One Piece live action would still be a stupid idea for 100 reasons, the main being the main character is constantly stretching his body and you have to make that not look like total garbage.

zulux21

I mean they made a Live Action Tokyo Ghoul and its releasing next week in Japan. So nothing is impossible and its good way to make money.

Although it looks decent judging from the trailers which I have seen.

Edit: oh its a TV series welp. Gonna be like Inhumans lol.

I take it you haven't watched one piece if you think making a live action tokyo ghoul look good would face any of the major issues one piece would.

ghouls being creepy and doing creepy things is fine in live action.

a rubber man that can stretch his face two feet by pulling it as a playful way to show off he is stretchy would basically be impossible to do in live action without looking creepy as hell.

one piece isn't grounded in reality or physics at all, tokyo ghoul for the most part is.

I take it you haven't watched one piece if you think making a live action tokyo ghoul look good would face any of the major issues one piece would.

ghouls being creepy and doing creepy things is fine in live action.

a rubber man that can stretch his face two feet by pulling it as a playful way to show off he is stretchy would basically be impossible to do in live action without looking creepy as hell.

one piece isn't grounded in reality or physics at all, tokyo ghoul for the most part is.

I didn't realize it was gonna be a live action TV series. Its gonna suck lol.

Yeah I honestly believe it went have enough budget even for Luffys's rubber.

duckroll

http://gundam-bf.net/battlogue/

This is the REAL hype imo. Obari directing action packed Gunpla shorts. The first episode is out on Aug 4, and it will be Meijin Kawaguchi and Allan Adams testing a new AI enemy system that uses ghost data from legendary players. Meijin's Ballistic Zaku and Allan's Reversible Gundam vs a bunch of Dream Match gunpla from historical data!

I like how they gave the symphogirls telepathy in the finale to save on mouth animation.

Wait, I thought it's because they need to sing during the whole space thing and the telepathy is to explain how they communicate over the song. Don't their mouth actually flap along with the singing?

JulianImp

Code Geass - #1-3
Looks decent enough, so I guess I'll start watching this now that it's been added to CR and I've caught up with MHA. This gives me a Death Note-like vibe in the way the MC is an unbeatable genius, but at least he's still in the dark about what he just got himself into, as well as the specifics of the special ability he got from the green-haired girl.

Lelouch being an elder brother who'd lie and backstab anyone but his precious little sister isn't the best background setting I could've asked for, but other than that it looks like there'll be lots of sub-factions vying for power, which should at least help make things somewhat interesting.

kewlmyc

Fate/Apocrypha Episode 3

=Cons:
- Kawaii Frankenstein. I mean who in the world thought this was a good idea. I would be perfectly ok with a female Frankenstein's monster but the keyword here is MONSTER.=

Welcome to Fate, a world where King Arthur was a 14 year old girl and no one ever found out. Also was given artificial semen by Merlin to create a clone of her to put in her sister.

JulianImp

You also forgot the part about how exchanging bodily fluids is the best way to charge someone with mana, which is a trait that even gets used in the magical girl spin-off series starred by grade schooler girls.

If anything, I think that king Arthur actually being a girl should be the least of your worries coming into the Fate franchise as a whole.

kewlmyc

You also forgot the part about how exchanging bodily fluids is the best way to charge someone with mana, which is a trait that even gets used in the magical girl spin-off series starred by grade schooler girls.

If anything, I think that king Arthur actually being a girl should be the least of your worries coming into the Fate franchise as a whole.

My point was that Fate turning historic/fictional icons into "kawaii" girls has always been a thing from the beginning.

A person could write an essay about all the weird shit in Fate. Nasu never wanted to make the original Fate an eroge, but you'd never know that from the way it's still part of the lore. You'd think he'd try to recon that at some point.

But despite everything, Fate/Zero is good and I have fond memories of playing through the UBW and Heaven's Feel routes years ago, so it's gets a pass from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom