• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcos Season 3 |OT| Going Back to Cali - Netflix 9/1

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
T8SfTLh.png

In a post-Pablo Escobar world, those final words spoken in the last season of the Netflix original series Narcos foreshadow the upcoming season's pivot into the corrupt, powerful and wildly profitable world of Colombia's Cali Cartel — the biggest drug lords you've probably never heard of. Now that the bloody hunt for Pablo Escobar has ended, the DEA turns its attention to the richest drug trafficking organisation in the world: the Cali Cartel. Led by four powerful godfathers, this cartel operates much differently than Escobar's, preferring to bribe government officials and keep its violent actions out of the headlines.

Release date: It hits Netflix September 1st.

Spoilers: For two weeks after release, you are to spoiler tag your posts (ex: episode 6:
)

Links:

Cast:

eQNMuor.jpg

Damián Alcázar as Gilberto Rodriguez Orejuela, Francisco Denis as Miguel Orejuela, Pedro Pascal as Javier Peña

5ZqOAEz.jpg

Alberto Ammann as Pacho Herrera, Pepe Rapazote as Chepe Santacruz Londono, Michael Stahl-David as Chris Feistl

eN5J37q.jpg

Matt Whelan as Daniel Van Ness, Matias Varela as Jorge Salcedo, Miguel Angel Silvestre as Franklin Jurado

CQSDMue.jpg

Kerry Bishe as Christina, Arturo Castro as David Rodriguez

Reviews:

• We Got This Covered:
    I skimmed through it, it looks like it contains spoilers.

With Escobar gone, the title of the series takes on new meaning: dozens of Escobars have existed to varying degrees of infamy. Knowingly, this is written into the fabric of the show: Pena acknowledges that there is always a new enemy to track. Just as the cartels are addicted to the thrill of making money and evading capture, the DEA agents on their tail can't get enough of the chase. Conceivably, Narcos could go on for a while yet.
    Thankfully, this particular story is brought to a satisfying conclusion by the close of season 3. There's no artificial cliffhanger to mull over. As the final credits roll, you're left to sit back in slack-jawed wonderment at a self-contained story of the highest order. Let's hope Narcos doesn't one day overstay its welcome, because season 3 is one of the best seasons of television I've ever had the good fortune of watching – one that reinvents itself in the wake of its famous antihero.
  • Indiewire:

Outside of the overhanging threat of Pedro Escobar, ”Narcos" proves its ability to excel as an ongoing drama by not just introducing new members of these syndicates, but giving them real, fleshed-out lives beyond basic confrontations. There's a most intriguing conflict that arises when characters who see themselves as technically ”outside" the cartel — because they don't carry drugs or actively sell drugs — are forced to accept that fallacy.

The downside, though, might be a facet of that focus, as Season 3 does lack the level of female presence enjoyed by Season 2. Beyond the relatively brief reappearances of a woman reporter, the women of this story are all wives and mothers, only deeply engaged with the action because of how their husbands and sons are involved. But ”Narcos" has never been a show where passing the Bechdel test was a priority.

Promo photos:

jett

D-Member
Wonder if this show will be compelling without its only compelling character. Will give it a chance for sure.

kevin1025

Banned
I am five episodes into the first season, it's crazy that I waited so long to watch this, it's fantastic!! I'll be ready for the third season, can't wait.

Holy crap, how had I not heard about this until now...this Friday whoo!

Trailer looks good. A tad concerned about the 'inspired by true events' tag, I guess they will be going full fiction now (the Escobar arc was surprisingly true to the facts for the most part) Oh well, all the parts are there for a compelling watch either way.

I caught up with both seasons, incredible show. The budget on this mist have been insane. Love the pseudo-documentary approach, was it historically accurate?

I caught up with both seasons, incredible show. The budget on this mist have been insane. Love the pseudo-documentary approach, was it historically accurate?

I can't speak for it overall, but whenever something happened in the show that made me think "they're taking some artistic liberties here" i'd look it up and it would turn out to be true..

hydruxo

I'll be really interested to see how this is without Boyd Holbrook and Wagner Moura. Pedro is great though and I'm happy to see a season where he's the lead on his own.

I can't speak for it overall, but whenever something happened in the show that made me think "they're taking some artistic liberties here" i'd look it up and it would turn out to be true..

It's a TV docu-drama, so yeah there are definitely things spiced up to make a good episode. The search bloc commander that shot the kid getting killed by Pablo for example; the guy is still alive and well, stuff like that.

As far as hitting all of the major points during the reign of Pablo though, they did great. There's a great documentary on YouTube for those interested in the parallels.

v1lla21

⚠⚠⚠ This thread is only para puro berraco⚠⚠⚠
Can't wait for next week. Gonna miss Moura but Pedro Pascal is great as Javier.

It's a TV docu-drama, so yeah there are definitely things spiced up to make a good episode. The search bloc commander that shot the kid getting killed by Pablo for example; the guy is still alive and well, stuff like that.

As far as hitting all of the major points during the reign of Pablo though, they did great. There's a great documentary on YouTube for those interested in the parallels.
Good to hear. I'll check out that documentary. Pedro Pascal played my favourite character, a proper anti-hero and turning Boyd's character to the dark side to get shit done. Can't wait for more of him.

Qvoth

oh shit i have no idea this is back so soon!
watched american made earlier and it made me thought of narcos

oh shit i have no idea this is back so soon!
watched american made earlier and it made me thought of narcos

Wait what? Is it out in other territories/limited release/film festival or something? I see a 9/29 release, and now see like 30 RT reviews.

dabig2

Going to give this a little bump as we're now about 7 hours away (assuming this gets released at the usual 12 am PST/3 am EST)

Acidote

Also, speaking of the Spaniard actors in this: I've never liked Miguel Angel Silvestre's acting, but Javier Cámara is supposedly in this too (as the accountant) and I do like him. I guess he'll have a small part though since he has already said he's only in for this season.

eizarus

Banned
About to start this now. Loved Season 1 and 2 so much (probably my favourite drugs/crime show). Let's see how they manage without Wagner Moura.

Top Bottom