• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerilla: Killzone: Shadow Fall's multiplayer is 60 FPS, singleplayer is 30 FPS

MP is where 60 FPS matters most, so I'm glad they're doing this. But now I want them to make SP 60 FPS as well. It must be more challenging with the open environments and crazy set piece moments.

Sorral

Seems the MP is behind closed doors for the press.

Reading IGN's preview, judging by the scope of the maps from what is shown so far, and looking at the radar, it seems SUPPORT class is only to heal?

There doesn't seem to be any evidence of the Engineer role, meaning no ammo boxes, or turrets to repair :(

I thought I saw a revive and an auto-turret in the MP that Yoshida played.

MP is where 60 FPS matters most, so I'm glad they're doing this. But now I want them to make SP 60 FPS as well. It must be more challenging with the open environments and crazy set piece moments.

Exactly. I wish a lot more games did this. SP is where all the flashy explosions and setpieces belong, so if it they can't go 60fps, they should lock it at 30fps.

Multiplayer is where accuracy and fluidity matters so 60fps is a must. Fuck the setpieces in multiplayer; reduce it a little to ensure more fun and fastpaced gameplay.

Jomjom

Banned
What the... isn't it harder to get 60 FPS on multiplayer than single player? They must be really going all out on the visuals for single player.

I like this, SP being 30fps lets them go nuts on the graphics. 60fps online will be great for fast past MP matches.

Yep, this is great news. Especially with a graphics showcase like Killzone, 30fps in single player will allow GG to blow our faces off, then add the fluidity and smoothness with 60fps online.

I don't know if this means the online will be toned down graphically, or just will not have as large of sprawling maps as the single player, or just less craziness going on. We will find out.

Portugeezer

Exactly. I wish a lot more games did this. SP is where all the flashy explosions and setpieces belong, so if it they can't go 60fps, they should lock it at 30fps.

Multiplayer is where accuracy and fluidity matters so 60fps is a must. Fuck the setpieces in multiplayer; reduce it a little to ensure more fun and fastpaced gameplay.
I don't mind 30fps even for multiplayer if it's locked.

But yeah, it's good the multiplayer is 60fps at least. 60fps is not as important in single player. People praise COD's 60fps but ignore that during the campaign it regularly dips to 40fps; it's clear peoples praise is for the multiplayer.

On PC many gamers max out single player, for e.g. Crysis 3 at lower framerates (Vsync to 30fps) but lower graphics settings in multiplayer to get smoother framerates for competitive play.

Could they make single player 60fps? Maybe, but it's not that important. After you complete the campaign you won't make many transitions back to single player.

Yep, this is great news. Especially with a graphics showcase like Killzone, 30fps in single player will allow GG to blow our faces off, then add the fluidity and smoothness with 60fps online.

I don't know if this means the online will be toned down graphically, or just will not have as large of sprawling maps as the single player, or just less craziness going on. We will find out.

I don't think there will be a huge difference. Maybe less AA and smaller environments, keep in mind the SP supposedly has large levels with up to 60 AI or something. MP will have 24 dudes which are not AI driven, biggest problem for 60fps there is what each player does at any given moment.

LCGeek

formerly sane

MP usually has certain visual toned at the very least the size of maps are usually chopped up renditions of their SP counter parts.

Did Guerilla want that effect of having to accelerate and aim more naturally vs twitch response. If they did they should make it a mechanic vs having it being well a glitch or input lag they never fixed.

I'm sure GG knew exactly what they were crafting with KZ2. They were probably well aware of the potential backlash in a community dominated by CoD twitch shooters, too, which is the sad part.

Becoming proficient with KZ2's unique feel was one of the most rewarding experiences for me this gen.

30fps will automatically NOT blow my face off unless it's literally pixar quality. The lost of motion will keep me from that. There is nothing, even on PC, that has captivated me that much. The good news in all of this is that KZ will now be a more competent competitor in the mass market. Sucks that the single player is still running low, but the multiplayer is getting a great gift. Can't wait.

Digital purchase day 1.

Portugeezer

Grimløck;77828997 said:
I have seen Shadow Fall.

mj-laughing.gif

Mileena

Banned
good move Guerilla, 60fps is so much better for any multiplayer shooter than any kind of visual flare. kind of interested now.

So I'm having an argument with friends by saying the game is worthless now because it doesn't have splitscreen. Saying they hate how they feel devs are lazy because they won't have it in their games anymore.

Sounds good

I'm happy with my pre-order after what i've seen, read about the free DLC, and 60 FPS Multi. I might dabble in multiplayer FPS for the first time in a long time

i think it's pretty cool they are keeping SP at 30 fps. We will get the best of both worlds: a high graphic SP and a smooth and responsive MP.

What the... isn't it harder to get 60 FPS on multiplayer than single player? They must be really going all out on the visuals for single player.

Not really. MP = smaller areas. They also will tone down the graphics to ensure a consistent framerate (because lag is already a problem, inconsistent framerates + lag = fuckkkkkkkkk dude).

Also in SP there's AI, scripting, more physics based stuff going, crazier lighting, etc. A lot of that stuff is very framerate intensive. On the PC, for instance, for me one of the biggest framerate boosts is turning down shadows. It's a small change in look but a huge boost to performance.

I thought I saw a revive and an auto-turret in the MP that Yoshida played.

I'm talking about ammo and turrets. In KZ2 and 3, they were key parts to teamwork. If you didn't have at least a good engineer fixing ammo boxes and repairing turrets, you were screwed. It was a good meta-game.

A game would start, snipers would rush to areas to spot and scan, tactitian's would lay out spawns, Engineers would repair the many, many objects around the map. And there was always a struggle to maintain those ammo depots and turrets.

I am somewhat worried that they took all that out. I hope maps are sizable and the abilities are retained for that kind of teamwork. The biggest concern I have is diminished teamwork, and a lack of squads.

Basically, I hope there are maps the size of Salamun Market. That map defined Killzone 2 for me.

I don't mean to speculate so much, but it's not my fault we have such limited info! :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looking at the list of stuff they're doing for SF is really impressive.

Nonlinear objectives
Optional objectives
OWL
Larger areas
More visual variety
More color (with the Helghast part of the city likely retaining the gritty look)
Customizable MP
60fps MP

Huge list of upgrades from the past few games that are appropriate for a generational jump. I'm shocked and impressed that they're taking all of this on for a launch title as well. It's like they're trying to preempt anyone claiming "Fix this shit, GG!"

The weapon positions could still be improved. Fix that shit, GG!

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Great news, but if it plays like KZ3 it won't make a difference.

They've got to make some big design decisions

KZ3 was better playing than KZ2 due to drastically toned downed input lag and more intuitive controls. I know alot of people enjoyed KZ2's multiplayer but I didn't, too many grenade and rocket explosions and the hip firing winning at a distance as opposed to aiming down the sights. Still, KZ3 had it's share of problems with overpowered classes (that's for you Sabouteurs). Regardless I'd like to see both team players and solitary ones being able to be successful in the mp.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Naw, usually multiplayer graphics are not as good as sp so by extension 60fps is easier.

And its all relative, they could turn down the graphics even more and reach 120fps+

ZaCH3000

KZ3 was better playing than KZ2 due to drastically toned downed input lag and more intuitive controls. I know alot of people enjoyed KZ2's multiplayer but I didn't, too many grenade and rocket explosions and the hip firing winning at a distance as opposed to aiming down the sights. Still, KZ3 had it's share of problems with overpowered classes (that's for you Sabouteurs). Regardless I'd like to see both team players and solitary ones being able to be successful in the mp.

Hip firing mechanics in KZ2 were perfect. The ADS could use improvements from longer ranges though.

The amount of health and regen was spot on too. Made for more tactical encounters. Just because a bad player got a jump on me doesn't mean he wins. I hate that about CoD. At least in KZ2 you have a chance of out maneuvering a flanker if your skill level was high enough.

I find this to be a fairly reasonable compromise. Good plan. Leave the spectacle gaming to SP while having a better pure gameplay experience for MP

coldfoot

Banned
This is a great compromise, it'd even be better with 60fps SP of course, but fps isn't that important in a 10 hour mostly linear shooter campaign, 30 is fine as long as it's stable.
For MP, 60fps is excellent news, let's hope it sticks to 60 closely. Maybe it'll get some of the kids from COD back, since now it'll be just as smooth but with much better graphics.

ufo8mycat

Like I said in another thread
Am I the only one who isn't sensitive between 30fps and 60fps?

I have played games in both 30fps and 60fps, yes there is a difference, but it doesn't impact me at all what so ever.

Maybe the difference isn't so big between 30fps and 60fps on a HDTV, which is what I play on 99% of the time, compared to a PC monitor, I just ain't that sensitive to it, therefore don't care if the game is 30fps, as long as it doesn't fluctuate between 60fps and 30fps.

I can aim efficiently whether its 30fps or 60fps, so this doesn't bother me what so ever.

I thought that gameplay at the beginning of the conference looked awfully smooth but I thought it might have just been a rock solid 30 or something since we all thought it was only going to be that up until now.

I'm so bored of all these 60 fps threads. Is this what enthusiast gaming has come to? Where we measure a games worth by how many frames per second it has? So sad.

Top Bottom