• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore Definitive Edition (officially) announced - August 29 / $19.99

Liked what I played but I never finished. If this version is free for original owners or at a very cheap price to upgrade like Ori, then I will buy it again.

Is this really the only issue? I see a bunch of people, including you in that very post, talking about how "unfinished" the game is. It doesn't sound like having a high requirement for cores would make people say that. I think the GB crew mentioned the game feels like it's missing a whole 1/3 of what it should be.

I also see people complaining about traversal in the end game which I'm guessing the new corebot addresses?

The traversal issues boil down to two things, both of which are related to the unfinished nature of the game rather than problems that can not be fixed.

1) There are desert areas that can be a little dull to cross on foot.

2) There are a few areas with quicksand that cannot be crossed without the tank bot.

The update fixes both of those problems because the tank bot can cross the quicksand as well as help cross the large desert areas more quickly. The other obvious sign the game wasn't finished was the fact you could collect tank parts for crafting and upgrades but no tank bot to use them on.

The actual platforming itself was great from start to finish and the fact it was always priced as a B-tier or budget title meant many of us cut the game slack that a $60 title wouldn't deserve.

If the loading times remain terrible and you still can't choose which 2 bots you have out on the fly (or at least when out of combat) then it will still be a slog to get around and to get the orbs that are in the over-world even with the new bot.

Yeah, this was pretty annoying too

Hawk269

I have the game and if it is free upgrade then great...if not I am still 100% in since I loved the game even though I did not finish it. It is a great game and even with issues I loved the time I played it.

Free update to current users?
No official confirmation, but the fact that the achievement art for ReCore was replaced with the definitive edition art leads me to believe it will be a free update. This is in contrast to Ori, which had its own separate achievement list for the DE.

No official confirmation, but the fact that the achievement art for ReCore was replaced with the definitive edition art leads me to believe it will be a free update. This is in contrast to Ori, which had its own separate achievement list for the DE.

Yeah, also didn't they offer Ori: DE free to people who had the original anyways?

Thinking this is going to be free.

Alx

Very under rated game. Load times hurt it though

Definitely. The more I play it, the less I understand the duration of the load times. What kind of data is it loading exactly ? I could understand such load times when going from one part of the map to another, but after a death during a boss fight ? It's a closed room, with a static environment and maybe half a dozen character models. Even assuming you need to reload all of the geometry and not only the game state, it shouldn't take THAT long.
I guess it shouldn't be that hard to fix that in the updated version. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't keep it on hold until the DE releases, in case it's a free upgrade and lets me take over where I left it. I'm still having the urge to play it though, great platforming and exploration.

Salty Hippo

The traversal issues boil down to two things, both of which are related to the unfinished nature of the game rather than problems that can not be fixed.

1) There are desert areas that can be a little dull to cross on foot.

2) There are a few areas with quicksand that cannot be crossed without the tank bot.

The update fixes both of those problems be cause the tank bot can cross the quicksand as well as help cross the large desert areas more quickly. The other obvious Sign the game wasn't finished was the fact you could collect tank parts for crafting and upgrades but no tank bot to use them on.

The actual platforming itself was great from start to finish and the fact it was always priced as a B-tier or budget title me at many of us cut the game slack that a $60 title wouldn't deserve.

Yeah, this was pretty annoying too

Thanks for explaining. Sounds like an incredibly easy fix then, simply reduce the core requirement (preferably letting the player know what it is in advance) and add the possibility to change bots on the fly. But I'm not confident they'll be smart enough do it.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Is ReCore DE digital download only or will it also be available on disc as well?

JlNX

Thanks for explaining. Sounds like an incredibly easy fix then, simply reduce the core requirement (preferably letting the player know what it is in advance) and add the possibility to change bots on the fly. But I'm not confident they'll be smart enough do it.

Pretty much the vast majority of issues across all reviews and here on GAF were technical, the one issue with the world traversal will be fixed with the new bot. With them pretty much being able to fix the end game progression by taking out a barrier, which asks the question did they not have any sort of customer testing because it would have surely popped up very obviously. Thats probably why MS thinks there is still a future with the IP, because when you read the majority of reviews, it comes of as them wanting to love the game but not being able to because of technical issues and progression gates. It must feel real shitty for the team to read those reviews and have it be issues they could so easily haved fixed if MS didn't make them keep to the launch date. It being rushed out is probably why it didn't get customer testing or apparently very little Q&A. Plus some of the issues they had with Unity took so much time out of their development time, they shouldn't have had to take unity for the money. MS should have had trust in the team and the IP, unfortunately only now after release have they realised that. They are trying to fix the issues and redeem the future of the IP, they can still un fuck their fuck up at least with the IP having a fan in Phil which probably will give it some leeway.

Alx

I'm even more tempted to put the game on hold for 9 days, now. I wonder if I'm far from the end ? I'm at a point where
I'm going through different floors of the Eden tower, with each one being a platforming trial
. Also have something like 32 shiny cores.

I enjoyed what I played at launch but it was very buggy and the loading time were horrid. I'm more than willing to give it another chance though.

PaulloDEC

Any more details given on the new content?

Nothing concrete yet: (EDIT: I stand corrected! See post below).

Ev2c.png

Interesting quote from Joseph Staten, though. I wonder how much "tons of content" is?

Any more details given on the new content?

Hello Far Eden Explorers!

We are excited to announce the ReCore Definitive Edition which lets players experience the game’s mysterious and dynamic world with enhanced visuals (increased resolution and HDR), a brand-new adventure, “Eye of Obsidian”, and the long-awaited T8-NK Corebot (“Tank”) who joins Joule, Mack, Seth, Duncan, and Violet as they explore new environments and dungeons while battling the deadly “Obsidian Cult”.

In addition to driving the T8-NK over quicksand and traveling across Far Eden with new power and speed, players will enjoy new weapon modes for Joule, new gear for all Corebots, more enemy types and many other gameplay and performance enhancements. With all this plus the help of a mysterious new character known as “AOK”, will you be able to stop the Obsidian Cult before they succeed?

Available worldwide on August 29, existing ReCore players will receive the “Eye of Obsidian” adventure, the T8-NK Corebot, and all the other enhancements, for free, as an online update. New players can download the ReCore Definitive Edition within their Xbox Game Pass membership or purchase it for $19.99 as an Xbox Play Anywhere game for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC from the Microsoft Store.

Happy adventuring, and we’ll see you on Far Eden!

https://news.xbox.com/2017/08/20/recore-definitive-edition-xbox-play-anywhere/amp/

Seems like a pretty decent amount of new content, full info next week.

blakep267

I think I got almost to the first encounter with Victor back during launch. I wonder if it's best to start over a fresh playthrough when it comes out. Also psyched it's in gamepass. Your not going to get those monster sales numbers but way more people can play he game now

Had a blast with the original , this one needs to adjust a few things to make it truely great

- loading times
- tweak the corebot requirements for endgame (though didn't bother me personally)

I love more content , dungeons were amazing in the base game. Gfx don't seem like a huge difference .

Top Bottom