• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore Definitive Edition (officially) announced - August 29 / $19.99

blakep267

So the main issue with the game was the last quarter of it was completely barren and lacked content does this version fix that then?
I don't think it was barren. The issue was you likely didn't have enough prismatic cores to properly complete the game. This additional area should provide you with more cores so it'll be more balanced and you won't have to get perfect A+ runs of every existing dungeon. Or they may also lower the requirement for the endgame

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
20 bones? Perfect. I enjoyed what I played in the trial and I almost bought it the last time it was on sale but then I remembered the Definitive Edition leak and held off. I'm glad I did.

Waiting to see the full details of this version, hoping for a little more than that listing considering this has been nearly a year. Will the standard Xbox one version have improved visuals, have they made the waypoint system a little easier, better load times, enemy robots no longer freezing when fighting them?

Cool! I played through like 85% of the game before trading it in, so I don't think I'll buy this right away. I'd be down to finish it and play the new content in due time though! I'm glad they went back to add things instead of just leaving it without the additional bot.

Jrs3000

I've owned this since earlier this year. I will finally play once I get an X. It would be funny if this turns around and sells better than it did last year and hits over 1mil.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
much is it in the UK anyone know? $20 seems a bit low. the original is currently £30 in the window store. once you include 20% VAT that works out about £20. i doubt it's gonna work out cheaper.

EmiPrime

If the ending tower orb gating has been relaxed or removed and the new level is substantial then I will re-buy it. Still a mystery to me why this took a year of development.

FelipeMGM

I didnt enjoy the gameplay loop from what I played, thought it was a lil bit janky and repetitive, but Jolie is a really cool character and the Core bots mechanic is neat. Hope this breaths new life into the franchise and they comeback with a sequel with bigger budget to explore the full potential of it

Sydle

As someone who ran into every bug there was I am still looking forward to returning to the game. Best feeling platforming I've experienced in a long time.

In addition to the leaked enhancements, it would be great if they changed the number of bot frames you have available to switch at one time. It was such a momentum killer to come across a new area or dungeon to explore only to realize you have to return to the crawler and then find your way back to your discovery.

Falchion

I've owned the game for a while but have been waiting for T8 to be released before I started it. Glad it's coming out soon.

How bad was it?

The core gameplay is still good, the problem is you need a certain amount of cores to get to the top level of the final tower and a lot of players will get to the end only to realise they don't have enough prismatic cores.

if you haven't spent a lot of time trying to get perfect runs in every dungeon and exploring every nook and cranny of the map, it makes for quite a frustrating grind trying to grab enough cores. iirc you aren't told exactly how many cores you need or if you are, it isn't very clear so that's a bit frustrating too.

I had read this was the case from other people so I decided to pre-empt the grind and spent an afternoon following a guide and collecting cores to make sure I had enough to complete the game. Then, free from the burden of worrying about cores I was free to tackle the rest of the game however I wished before making my way to the final tower.

The platforming itself is fantastic all the way throughout the game so as long as the new area provides enough additional cores to fix that problem, I would recommend the game to everyone for 20 bucks.

EDIT: You'd get $20 of enjoyment out of the game at launch even though it was half finished and full of jank tbh

Wow for $20 this is a no-brainer for those who don't have it, and I'm glad to see it's a free update for those that do :]

I started this game last year and when I heard about the update I hard quit lol. Finally ready to jump back in as I really enjoyed the first few hours!

Nowise10

I bought Recore at launch and played a couple hours, got lost and then never got on again. Wasn't that great from my experience, but I'll give it another shot.

Lom1lo

How long can I expect to play the main story? It seems very interesting so I'm kinda tempted.
Dont know but focusing only on the main story is bad. The great thing about this game are the various dungeons (Not Part of the Story) At one point you cant Progress the Story if you do nothing else

blakep267

How long can I expect to play the main story? It seems very interesting so I'm kinda tempted.
You shouldn't just focus on the main story. Your encouraged to do the dungeons in the world and explore.

In the Vanilla recore game, I got to the first "ending" in about 9-10 hours and by hour 12 I had collected 24 or so of the 45 cores needed to finish the true game. That's when I stopped. But I'm sure you could mainline it in 6-7 but previously you wouldn't have enough cores to really finish it

Salty Hippo

The core gameplay is still good, the problem is you need a certain amount of cores to get to the top level of the final tower and a lot of players will get to the end only to realise they don't have enough prismatic cores.

if you haven't spent a lot of time trying to get perfect runs in every dungeon and exploring every nook and cranny of the map, it makes for quite a frustrating grind trying to grab enough cores. iirc you aren't told exactly how many cores you need or if you are, it isn't very clear so that's a bit frustrating too.

I had read this was the case from other people so I decided to pre-empt the grind and spent an afternoon following a guide and collecting cores to make sure I had enough to complete the game. Then, free from the burden of worrying about cores I was free to tackle the rest of the game however I wished before making my way to the final tower.

The platforming itself is fantastic all the way throughout the game so as long as the new area provides enough additional cores to fix that problem, I would recommend the game to everyone for 20 bucks.

EDIT: You'd get $20 of enjoyment out of the game at launch even though it was half finished and full of jank tbh

Is this really the only issue? I see a bunch of people, including you in that very post, talking about how "unfinished" the game is. It doesn't sound like having a high requirement for cores would make people say that. I think the GB crew mentioned the game feels like it's missing a whole 1/3 of what it should be.

I also see people complaining about traversal in the end game which I'm guessing the new corebot addresses?

TheYanger

Is this really the only issue? I see a bunch of people, including you in that very post, talking about how "unfinished" the game is. It doesn't sound like having a high requirement for cores would make people say that. I think the GB crew mentioned the game feels like it's missing a whole 1/3 of what it should be.

I also see people complaining about traversal in the end game which I'm guessing the new corebot addresses?

The GB crew repeatedly harped on the core roadblocks, that was like THE complaint with the game. Just having a blast and then it slams a door in your face and you have to become super OCD collectathon to progress. Everything else, aside from the bugs and load times, they seemed to really really love.

Kent

I didn't run into any problems with the prismatic cores requirement. I was missing, I believe, three of them by the time I ran into the requirement at the end... And because of the way things stand out in the scenery, I had plenty of ideas as to where to find more.

It's pretty overtly a game about exploration, after all, so don't be afraid to go get lost in exploring what's there to be explored.

That said, the by-far-larger issues of the game lie in technical problems it has on console (loading times are a big one, and there's a few areas with inexplicable framerate issues - I suspect these are the majority of where the development time for the Definitive Edition went), and the fact that there are rather substantial inaccessible areas that are very obviously intended to be accessible by a Corebot frame that's not in the game (the T8-NK, which was even in promotional material, and has a spot in the menus left empty for it), and are basically empty outside of the terrain if you manage to get there without it.

EmiPrime

If the loading times remain terrible and you still can't choose which 2 bots you have out on the fly (or at least when out of combat) then it will still be a slog to get around and to get the orbs that are in the over-world even with the new bot.

Top Bottom