• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Super Friends - August 18th on Netflix

hobozero

So was the giant hole from daredevil season 2 explained? Lol

It contained a domed structure with Kun Lun writing on it and could only be breached by the Iron Fist, the ancient protector of a city hidden in the Himalayas/another dimension who never leaves his post but somehow visited pre-colonial New York.

Within the dome are dragon bones, which can be converted into a substance which can raise the dead, a condition which will somehow allow exiled elders to re-enter Kun Lun (an ancient city hidden in the Himalayas/another dimension which was also accessible to a non-resurrected 10 year old boy with an iPod).

The dragon bones are also "load bearing" (as was explained to me earlier in thread) so removing them will cause a large swath of Manhattan to "collapse" - even though the bones are buried under a single block in Hell's Kitchen and look to be about a foot thick.

golem

I liked the Defenders overall. I think they did some interesting stuff with the Hand mythology (finally) and gave every character the chance to stand out a bit and maybe even grow a little. Even Danny was tolerable for the first half. The villains and the fight/action choreography at the end was a real let down however- you can tell they didn't exactly hire top men to make this project. Also the power levels are all messed up- its like playing Destiny after a shitty balance patch has made everyone into bland kung fu fighters. I am interested to see where the stories of each of the characters heads next though

Within the dome are dragon bones, which can be converted into a substance which can raise the dead, a condition which will somehow allow exiled elders to re-enter Kun Lun (an ancient city hidden in the Himalayas/another dimension which was also accessible to a non-resurrected 10 year old boy with an iPod).

I think you have it kind of backwards, they wanted to go to kun lun to get more substance (dumb name) and thought they were opening a portal to there but instead found another source of dragon marrow

Village

I'm surprised how many people I talk to who were surprised frank didn't show up, I mean yeah they were more casual. But I guess they wanted to see frank

hobozero

I think you have it kind of backwards, they wanted to go to kun lun to get more substance (dumb name) and thought they were opening a portal to there but instead found another source of dragon marrow

But if they just found the dragon bones by surprise, how were they ready to mine it with crews and equipment, and how do they know removing the bones will collapse new york if they just found them? They go from finding the bones to mining them in about 5 minutes.

Can someone explain how Luke Cage kept getting KOed in episode 6?

Is Elektra superhuman? that kick to the head made no sense at all considering Danny has to use the glow to get anything through

Those two things aren't connected.

They need the dragon bones so they can keep resurrecting/stay immortal, we know they've already done so. Re-entering K'un L'un is separate from that.

chaos789

Banned

Is Elektra superhuman? that kick to the head made no sense at all considering Danny has to use the glow to get anything through

What was the name of that 80's movie where the protagonist's hand or body starts to glow at the end?

Thats what I think of everytime I see his fist glow.

I can't even enjoy episode 7 with this bullshit plot and careless attention to hero power levels

this is based on comic books but there are rules and this show broke a lot of them to move a shitty plot

I just figured that the resurrection with the substance gives them super-human strength or at least something close.
It would explain some of the shenanigans with the Hand leaders too, though there was still a lot of stupid there like Bakugo shrugging off bullets.

What was the name of that 80's movie where the protagonist's hand or body starts to glow at the end?

Thats what I think of everytime I see his fist glow.

The Last Dragon

hobozero

Those two things aren't connected.

They need the dragon bones so they can keep resurrecting/stay immortal, we know they've already done so. Re-entering K'un L'un is separate from that.

In episode 5, Gao explicitly states, "Do you remember what it [Kun Lun] Looks like? The only way we return to it is if we secure the Iron Fist".

Episode 6, Gao: "Ever since her resurrection, we are no closer to the Iron Fist, or the substance, or returning to Kun Lun."

Still sounds to me like their plan is: they need IF to open the dome, and they want to open the dome to get dem bones, to make "substance" which will somehow help them return to Kun Lun.

I'm a little disappointed in the show, still enjoyed it overall, but I was hoping for more. Even though the episode count was kept to a short 8, it still felt like there was a lot of boring/annoying filler, with characters we don't give a shit about.

Daredevil continues to be the best character of the bunch and has the best fight scenes.

Problem I had with Jessica Jones S1 that wasn't much better here, is I felt like they portrayed her powers quite poorly. Other than a few times where she moves a heavy object once or twice, you wouldn't even know shes supposed to have super strength.

Danny is a little better here than in his own show, but I still find him kinda lame. He really needs his costume and a power buff.

Some of the action was an especially big letdown for me. For example I thought the fight scene in episode 7 was truly horrible, shaky cam, close ups and quick cuts every freaking second.

Also I have to get extra nit picky here and mention how strange it felt in the finale, when that hip hop song started, during what was supposed to be this tense final fight for the fate of new york, it felt really off and completely ruined the vibe for me.

I have a lot more problems with the show, but like I said before I still got some enjoyment out of it, I just had higher expectations and was hoping it would be better than I feel it turned out.

SRG01

In other words, "We don't have the budget for that shit"

Hahaha, too true.

They could just as easily adapt Iron Fist: The Living Weapon as a series now, as they can work in some "oh dragon bones, so there must be a hidden portal under new york" kind of thing.

caliph95

Saying someone is better than Danny Rand is a very low bar lmao
fVa2JFvOFWWyODKHocNuc6_3TjisN6218FI_esnrv4AX3XjRSBkkgVpwvX3VF_VuFV_mxt2XxfHje9c_CNrUebCVZLk_m9VTGxmmB3AD0pTLG__D3fZRSXHVaAJLCDbg68sNhQfkYTwnMVHqyNd4wmUasj41EjYepiV2hC6Ao9Sl8-PBjSLIihBdrRpqSz0LvLoGMWhlh4Lzgw=w508-h289-nc

I just figured that the resurrection with the substance gives them super-human strength or at least something close.
It would explain some of the shenanigans with the Hand leaders too, though there was still a lot of stupid there like Bakugo shrugging off bullets.

The Last Dragon

I don't think her being juiced up after resurrection played a role if they faced each other in the comics, I am trying to find some history to make this canon

doing some google searches shows comic nerds have been going over the Luke Cage vs Elektra thing for years but Luke does not get KOed immortality does not mean you can suddenly KO a tank character with a kick

Oddduck

The supporting cast is exhausting. Claire is there to reorient everyone's moral compass and give some encouragement in every fucking scene. Shes not really even a character, more of a plot device.

I was trying to figure out why I dislike Claire, and your post nails it perfectly.

She only exists to tell characters how to move the plot forward. It's so annoying.

sturmdogg

Wasn't the Hand supposed to be a ninja organization? I noticed a lack of ninja in the series. Or were they a faction of the hand and were all wiped out in Daredevil?

LotusHD

Banned
it doesn't bode well for the candidates if davos was one of the others lol

To be fair, isn't he the son of one of the leaders or something

Dude probably felt entitled to the position, rather than him being some random candidate that makes everyone else look bad.

Gamespawn

I don't think her being juiced up after resurrection played a role if they faced each other in the comics, I am trying to find some history to make this canon

doing some google searches shows comic nerds have been going over the Luke Cage vs Elektra thing for years but Luke does not get KOed immortality does not mean you can suddenly KO a tank character with a kick

I think it was because of that incense from Stick. He was barely up.

caliph95

To be fair, isn't he the son of one of the leaders or something

Dude probably felt entitled to the position, rather than him being some random candidate that makes everyone else look bad.

Let's say everything Iron Fist related sucks

And someone said this but I don't but the inexperienced argument, it's one thing for him to be naive that's fine but someone having to be the guardian of kun lun and received harsh training he's very unimpressive.

He's pretty much a plot device a lot of the time here

In episode 5, Gao explicitly states, "Do you remember what it [Kun Lun] Looks like? The only way we return to it is if we secure the Iron Fist".

Episode 6, Gao: "Ever since her resurrection, we are no closer to the Iron Fist, or the substance, or returning to Kun Lun."

Still sounds to me like their plan is: they need IF to open the dome, and they want to open the dome to get dem bones, to make "substance" which will somehow help them return to Kun Lun.

My assumption was the real Kun'Lun disappears from our dimension periodically, like in the comics. The fingers need to extend their lives till this real Kun'Lun reappears, thus the need for the substance. Elektra killed the monks in the part of Kun'lun that doesnt disappear which would be the same place IF was trained. IF was told shit about this mystical Kun'Lun.

Floody

Just finished it, found it super underwhelming and I doubt I'll remember much of it within a week or so.
No real standout moments.
Just really slow and kinda boring a lot of the time.
The villians were just not interesting at all and didn't really do much for the most part.
The fight scene not being all that good, outside of a couple moments in a couple fights. Probably my biggest disappointment with the show.
Inconsistent powers, Luke Cage mostly suffers from this, bullet don't move him even slightly but depending on the moment punches and kicks do.

Did like how utterly garbage the Iron Fish was though, seemed to just get his ass kicked constantly.
DD and Luke Cage are great still too.

rjinaz

Just finished it. I enjoyed the show, because I enjoyed the other shows and this had most of the characters in it.

But it wasn't amazing. Not even sure I'd watch it again. But it was worth a watch and got me excited about returning to the individual hero's shows.

i didn't have a problem with every one kicking danny's ass. it kind of shows you his inexperience. he probably didn't really face any real threats while sheltered in kung lung. more room for growth. i thought he was handled well enough. with all that meditation and training...he's still really just a kid in terms of combat/life experience
Yes, but he had fought a fucking dragon to get his powers.

Hyun Sai

Ok, ok, but... has Matt taken down a master of the drunken fist? I think not.

Matt did not take a beating by a regular guy with a pole just because he couldn't use his neon punch :p

No seriously, that scene baffled me. You were trained by monks, beat a dragon without the Fist and you can't handle fucking Harold Meachum ? That was the most stupid thing I saw for a very long time.

LotusHD

Banned
No seriously, that scene baffled me. You were trained by monks, beat a dragon without the Fist and you can't handle fucking Harold Meachum ? That was the most stupid thing I saw for a very long time.

Lmao that fight pissed me off

It's gonna take a loooooooooong time to wash the stink of how shitty a fighter Danny is tbh

Top Bottom