• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Super Friends - August 18th on Netflix

aly

Iron Fist: When your origin story exceeds your series budget.

I know I sound like a broken record, but making Danny the weakest instead of the stronger person in the group is baffling.

Also Caire has outlived her welcome. I'm truly tired of her.

LotusHD

Banned
Claire barely did anything in this (Did she even speak to Matt), and people still manage to complain about her as if she had some large role lol

mAcOdIn

I know I sound like a broken record, but making Danny the weakest instead of the stronger person in the group is baffling.
I'm assuming Danny has to have someone die on him to start giving a shit.

I think they could do something interesting with Danny I just don't know if they have the time to do it as I don't know how long the audience will take such an insufferable character. I guess you can already argue the audience is done frankly. But my take on him was that he wanted the Iron Fist but you never really get the idea that he gives a shit about the Hand or Kun Lau, the first was probably just a means to get him the freedom to get back home. All this other shit's some obligation that he feels he has but that he's not really into. So I assume at some point something will truly shock him into giving a fuck and dedicating himself to the cause the same way he was dedicated to earning the Iron Fist and he'll come into his own.

That said, I think Iron Fist and Defenders sucked ass. Just so dull.

I don't think her being juiced up after resurrection played a role if they faced each other in the comics, I am trying to find some history to make this canon

doing some google searches shows comic nerds have been going over the Luke Cage vs Elektra thing for years but Luke does not get KOed immortality does not mean you can suddenly KO a tank character with a kick

As others pointed out, he was still visibly weakened from the poison as well.

It's still a bit silly though and could have been handled better.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm assuming Danny has to have someone die on him to start giving a shit.

I think they could do something interesting with Danny I just don't know if they have the time to do it as I don't know how long the audience will take such an insufferable character. I guess you can already argue the audience is done frankly. But my take on him was that he wanted the Iron Fist but you never really get the idea that he gives a shit about the Hand or Kun Lau, the first was probably just a means to get him the freedom to get back home. All this other shit's some obligation that he feels he has but that he's not really into. So I assume at some point something will truly shock him into giving a fuck and dedicating himself to the cause the same way he was dedicated to earning the Iron Fist and he'll come into his own.

That said, I think Iron Fist and Defenders sucked ass. Just so dull.

Umm...isn't that the point of the epilogue in the Defenders? At this point, he doesn't need to give a shit about Kung Lung (portal disappeared) or The Hand (supposedly all buried in the rubble). But he does show signs of caring about NY and its implied that he's going to start patrolling the streets in place of DD. Although I dunno how useful that will be without DD super hearing from the rooftops heh

LotusHD

Banned
Umm...isn't that the point of the epilogue in the Defenders? At this point, he doesn't need to give a shit about Kung Lung (portal disappeared) or The Hand (supposedly all buried in the rubble). But he does show signs of caring about NY and its implied that he's going to start patrolling the streets in place of DD. Although I dunno how useful that will be without DD super hearing from the rooftops heh

He's trying ok

RedAssedApe

Banned
He's trying ok

hey man i'm one of the guys defending him in here lol.

BowedBlondBrocketdeer-size_restricted.gif

diabl0

Just finished watching it. It was decent. Would give it 6/10. Dont mind Collean to be honest. Jessica Jones was just an annoying super bitch at times, and Danny Rand is very definition of a whiny little bitch. You beat a dragon? Yet you come off the weakest of the crew. Makes no sense. Matt Murdock and Luke Cage made the show.

finally watched the show. overall it was great and exceeded my expectations. i was a bit nervous that it would turn out like avengers which is really cool from an action perspective but shallow on character development. also since the hand storyline was weak in both DD S2 and Iron Fist, it got me worried (Gao is great in all of those but black skye, bakudo were not).

I liked how it really felt like DD S2.5, JJ S 1,5, LC S 1,5 and IF S 1,5 all in one rather than an incoherent mashup, They succeeded in portraying each character and side character in some depth and you can feel that there was progression for all of them, obviously the most with iron fist. Now IF S1 makes a lot more sense because IF was supposed to be this naive, inexperienced brat. He has certainly evolved a lot and was the only one to see that the hand tried to play them by saying iron fist is the key (which the rest of the team fell for and which led the hand to go as far as they could in the first place)

Overall id say the hand was weak this time around as well. Alexandra was a weak leader and you really have to wonder how she survived the coup from gao. She never showed any abilities unlike gao who seems to have super powers of her own. The turn from elektra was well done though and i was glad she was gone. Elektra never really was explained. It was unclear why she was suddenly evil, when she clearly remembered her time with stick and Matt. the rest of the hand was unmemorable bar gao. I really hope she survived because she scertainly is an amazing villain.

However what really made this a great season were the interactions between the main heroes and their respective side characters like colleen (who really was the fifth defender), night nurse, mysty knight, foggy, stick etc.

Chirotera

Banned
I generally liked Iron Fist, but admit the quality is not up to what it should be. I felt the same about Luke Cage, too. At least as far as the back half of his season was concerned. I feel like that's worth mentioning because in Defenders, the two of them seemed to have a bit of chemistry - and that moving forward, I would be all for their separate shows to be combined into one.

A season where Luke Cage helps Danny live up to being a hero for all, instead of just some defender of some mystical city no one gives a shit about, would be interesting to watch. Given their affiliation in the comics, rolling them up into a Heroes for Hire show for a season or two before splitting them back off could do wonders for both characters.

As for Defenders, it wasn't bad. Not great either. I enjoyed it, but I feel much of it was largely forgettable. A lot of that centers on the fact that the Hand just aren't that interesting of an enemy - and that the one bright spot they had going, Sigourney Weaver, was completely wasted. I don't mind killing her off, but they could have given her something to do before hand. I didn't buy that she was menacing at all.

Ah well, here's to the Punisher! I can't wait until that one drops.

finally watched the show. overall it was great and exceeded my expectations. i was a bit nervous that it would turn out like avengers which is really cool from an action perspective but shallow on character development. also since the hand storyline was weak in both DD S2 and Iron Fist, it got me worried (Gao is great in all of those but black skye, bakudo were not).

I liked how it really felt like DD S2.5, JJ S 1,5, LC S 1,5 and IF S 1,5 all in one rather than an incoherent mashup, They succeeded in portraying each character and side character in some depth and you can feel that there was progression for all of them, obviously the most with iron fist. Now IF S1 makes a lot more sense because IF was supposed to be this naive, inexperienced brat. He has certainly evolved a lot and was the only one to see that the hand tried to play them by saying iron fist is the key (which the rest of the team fell for and which led the hand to go as far as they could in the first place)

Overall id say the hand was weak this time around as well. Alexandra was a weak leader and you really have to wonder how she survived the coup from gao. She never showed any abilities unlike gao who seems to have super powers of her own. The turn from elektra was well done though and i was glad she was gone. Elektra never really was explained. It was unclear why she was suddenly evil, when she clearly remembered her time with stick and Matt. the rest of the hand was unmemorable bar gao. I really hope she survived because she scertainly is an amazing villain.

However what really made this a great season were the interactions between the main heroes and their respective side characters like colleen (who really was the fifth defender), night nurse, mysty knight, foggy, stick etc.
I must have watched a completely different show. o_O

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Speaking of tired characters, I 🙏 that Stick stays dead

I thought it was oddly funny with how no one reacted to Stick dying beyond pointing it out like once and Misty bringing it up when they all got brought to the precinct. Like people didn't even seem to notice there was a dude who was stabbed in the chest lying in the middle of the room, let alone someone who had trained Matt and so on.

AngryMoth

Just finished this. Incredibly average, pretty disappointed. I hated Iron Fist and apparently he was worse in his own show so glad I never watched that lol

Just because she's pretty doesnt mean she have a good character.

Ok fine maybe I'm blinded by that. I dunno I enjoyed her more than Iron Fist. She seemed to have more emotional weight with her than IF does (or maybe that's still how he is portrayed). I will grant that she did kind of make the same face for confused and emotional. I liked her interactions with Claire, I guess because I'm still good with Claire even though she has become the deus ex machina of getting the defenders together.

*Shrugs* she's not as good as the other secondaries from the other series, but I don't think she's as people are saying.

caliph95

Lol Luke represents all of us watching Iron Fist

Ok fine maybe I'm blinded by that. I dunno I enjoyed her more than Iron Fist. She seemed to have more emotional weight with her than IF does (or maybe that's still how he is portrayed). I will grant that she did kind of make the same face for confused and emotional. I liked her interactions with Claire, I guess because I'm still good with Claire even though she has become the deus ex machina of getting the defenders together.

*Shrugs* she's not as good as the other secondaries from the other series, but I don't think she's as people are saying.

I think it helps she was next to Danny, it's like Ward, his development while competently done is made a lot better in iron fist

ZeroX03

Banned
Finished it. Might have some more thoughts later, but it was... okay.

First two episodes were extremely boring. Recommended to friends to skip.

Colleen Wing was better than Danny but not by a lot. Feels like she's halfway there but has no presence with a sword.

The music with Luke was weird because he seems like such a reserved guy. Mike Colter was so much better as a villain where he could have some swagger.

Where was the fun and joy? It's a superhero team up show and it seems like Matt is having the most fun. Jessica being there is pretty fucking flimsy, and she also isn't really on board most of the time. Not a fun team presence. Luke is just boring. If Danny were acted and written better he'd probably be great as the young firecracker, at least he seems to want to get out there and fight.

Also they made fun of Matt for the outfit and protecting his identity, but later on The Hand was like "get Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Danny Rand and the devil guy". Matt was right! Also Danny badly needs to put a mask on. Daredevil's fight scenes are a lot stronger because they can use a stunt man. If your actor can't fight (and he can't), hide his face.

The Hand continues to suck, they were a flop from the beginning and it was good that the ending focused on the two 'strongest' parts which were Elektra and super powered Madame Gao. Stick was an awful character and I'm glad he's dead. They all seemed less intimidating than Nobu too.

Daredevil S3 should be nice with a lot of this baggage gone. Maybe Iron Fist S2 might improve with Misty and Colleen carrying the show for him.

Netflix bloat is real once again, and this was only 8 episodes.

CGI was awful.

Eh.

Most of my complaints (which are numerous I almost stopped watching episode 2), have been made already; but did anyone else find it odd that none of the other hand leaders had powers like Madame Gao? Also, while I know nothing has been said of the make-up of Kun Lun, I also found it odd that each leader was a different ethnicity. Not that I expected them all to be a single one, but for a brief moment I was all, "wait... why is the white woman the leader of this group of elders from the Kung Fu city?"

Ros8105

All this build-up to discover what's in the hole and all we got to see was some fucking cave area? what the fuck. I was also waiting for Sigourney Weaver's character to do something that would make her interesting and then they just killed her off. What a waste. This show was very underwhelming and just straight up boring.
I did like the character interactions, this was the best part of the show for me.

manfestival

so nobody else is bothered by elektra being the second black sky in this marvel universe? I am curious as to how in the world the first one would have been different but we wont know cause he deaaaad

Why did this show need a mid-season twist villain swap again?

Didn't work for Iron Fist, DD S2, or Luke Cage, but here we go again with the (literal) backstabbing.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Most of my complaints (which are numerous I almost stopped watching episode 2), have been made already; but did anyone else find it odd that none of the other hand leaders had powers like Madame Gao?

No, because it makes sense to simplify fight choreography for an old woman.

REV 09

Enjoyed it but how in the world did dd survive in the end? And I'm also tired of Claire lol. Cage and Jones need to get back together.
I thought maybe it had something mystical to do with Kun Lun or maybe the substance of the dragon. If he survived then I don't think we can count Elektra or Gaou out either.

Luke-JJ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Luke-Claire

The difference in chemistry is obvious.

Also Iron Fist is the literal worst. Was strongest when it was DD-Luke-JJ. Three of them had good chemistry and played well with each other. Most of the cinematography felt really lazy too. The weird ass transitions and confusing yo watch fight scenes bogged this down. Wasn't terrible, but didn't live up it's potential at all.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Only realized it later, but I think the foreshadowing was intentional when Jessica asked Luke if he wanted to get a coffee sometime, what with the Sex=Coffee analogy apparently being a thing in Luke's world.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Why did this show need a mid-season twist villain swap again?

Didn't work for Iron Fist, DD S2, or Luke Cage, but here we go again with the (literal) backstabbing.

Elektra is much more interesting than Alexandra though. And Elektra taking charge is really all she wanted anyway lol.

manfestival

Hear me out fellas, what if those dragon bones actually belong to Daenerys and Danny Rand actually killed Drogon whom was renamed to gain his immortal iron fist.

caliph95

Most of my complaints (which are numerous I almost stopped watching episode 2), have been made already; but did anyone else find it odd that none of the other hand leaders had powers like Madame Gao? Also, while I know nothing has been said of the make-up of Kun Lun, I also found it odd that each leader was a different ethnicity. Not that I expected them all to be a single one, but for a brief moment I was all, "wait... why is the white woman the leader of this group of elders from the Kung Fu city?"

I want to say episode 6 or 7. Given the shakey cam and the most unusual choice of musical choice in that final fight, it's hard to keep track of shit.
Ok the black dude had powers I guess or chi powers since he fought cage for a bit

They changed to be multi cultural which have other questions I need answered

Gamespawn

Alexandra told the story of how they left or were cast out of Kun Lun and they went back to their respective nations to build the Hand across the globe.

cj_iwakura

Also Iron Fist is the literal worst. Was strongest when it was DD-Luke-JJ. Three of them had good chemistry and played well with each other. Most of the cinematography felt really lazy too. The weird ass transitions and confusing yo watch fight scenes bogged this down. Wasn't terrible, but didn't live up it's potential at all.
I don't know why they made Luke/Claire a thing. Mother of all bad ideas.

Was anyone else waiting for the Japanese-speaking Hand leader to do...anything....remotely impressive?

Especially after Stick talked him up. All he did was get his ass kicked, repeatedly

Iksenpets

Banned
Every time he opened his mouth my eyes rolled backward, it was only him saying he's Iron Fist and talking about chi, for some reason I can't take it seriously and it sounds like a kid talking about an episode of Dragonball.

Every time he started rambling about his chi I just wanted one of the characters to tell him that they had seen a few episodes of DBZ so he really doesn't need to explain anymore.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Was anyone else waiting for the Japanese-speaking Hand leader to do...anything....remotely impressive?

Especially after Stick talked him up. All he did was get his ass kicked, repeatedly

Yep. I was waiting for any of the villains to do something interesting and it never happened. Elektra was alright, I guess. But her betraying Alexandra seemed like a desperate attempt to fast forward the character development on this new Elektra at the expense of the person they've been building up for a few episodes.

caliph95

Every time he started rambling about his chi I just wanted one of the characters to tell him that they had seen a few episodes of DBZ so he really doesn't need to explain anymore.
Doesn't help he can't really back it up and keeps getting his ass kicked and all he can do is occasionally make his hand glow

caliph95

Yep. I was waiting for any of the villains to do something interesting and it never happened. Elektra was alright, I guess. But her betraying Alexandra seemed like a desperate attempt to fast forward the character development on this new Elektra at the expense of the person they've been building up for a few episodes.
Japanese guy didn't anything

Black guy died quickly after Stick build him up

Bakugo sucks as usual

Only Madame gao was decent and that's because she appeared before

Top Bottom