• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Super Friends - August 18th on Netflix

carlsojo

Just finished it last night. Overall a pretty good season 3 of Daredevil.

I don't read the comics or anything but would it be hard to make Colleen the Iron Fist instead? She's so much cooler than Danny.

JCHandsom

I don't read the comics or anything but would it be hard to make Colleen the Iron Fist instead? She's so much cooler than Danny.

Having the Iron Fist wouldn't really make her any more useful than Danny is tbh, the best thing it's good for is opening doors.

aly

They've made the Iron Fist so useless here it wouldn't matter. Also Colleen sucks almost as much as Danny. Almost.

WoolyNinja

While I loved the Defenders its quite clear that Daredevil is easily the star of the show. Charlie Cox is so good as Daredevil that I'd almost prefer they just stick to Daredevil and have the other characters have cameos from time to time. I also thought Elodie Yung was great once again as Elektra. Hopefully she'll be back.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I liked the series overall, but it could have been better. It feels like an extension of DD season 2. They double-down on the "Elektra is the chosen one" plot, which I didn't even like the first time. Alexandra and the rest of the Hand leaders don't end up doing a (w)hole lot, so the series doesn't feel as epic as it should have.

The heroes side is thankfully more compelling and its fun to watch their dynamics with each other. This was my first exposure to Iron Fist and I was surprised they portrayed him as a poor-man's Daredevil. I think one character filled with angst who likes to babble about his mission is more than enough. The team can get a little dreary without a light-hearted character.

The action sequences are not nearly as good as in Daredevil, but there are some solid fights. Surprisingly, my favorite part of them is how they used Iron Fist's power. When his fist starts to glow, you know he's about to wreck shit and it feels like an anime and I love it.

Overall, its a good show, but I hope they step up their game for season 2. Also, I'm worried about DD season 3. They strongly hinted at Born Again before and this just confirmed its happening. Hopefully Matt doesn't turn into a crazy homeless person and they avoid some of Frank Miller's other crazy bullshit.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I liked the series overall, but it could have been better. It feels like an extension of DD season 2. They double-down on the "Elektra is the chosen one" plot, which I didn't even like the first time. Alexandra and the rest of the Hand leaders don't end up doing a (w)hole lot, so the series doesn't feel as epic as it should have.

The heroes side is thankfully more compelling and its fun to watch their dynamics with each other. This was my first exposure to Iron Fist and I was surprised they portrayed him as a poor-man's Daredevil. I think one character filled with angst who likes to babble about his mission is more than enough. The team can get a little dreary without a light-hearted character.

The action sequences are not nearly as good as in Daredevil, but there are some solid fights. Surprisingly, my favorite part of them is how they used Iron Fist's power. When his fist starts to glow, you know he's about to wreck shit and it feels like an anime and I love it.

Overall, its a good show, but I hope they step up their game for season 2. Also, I'm worried about DD season 3. They strongly hinted at Born Again before and this just confirmed its happening. Hopefully Matt doesn't turn into a crazy homeless person and they avoid some of Frank Miller's other crazy bullshit.

Born Again is a fantastic storyline, outside of the bat-shit and utterly unnecessary Captain America/Nuke stuff that springs up towards the end. Daredevil finally stepping away from the bone-tired ninja stuff and attempting an adaptation of that story is pretty exciting for me. I'm definitely on board with it.

I've mentioned this before, but I am confused as to why they've seemingly placed the part where Matt gets taken in by the nuns and finally finds his mother at the beginning of this story, as opposed to closer to the end, as in the original comic-book storyline. It was such a pivotal moment which lead to the character finding his feet again as a kind of spiritual rebirth...to place it before all the stuff with Fisk goes down seems like a really, really strange narrative choice.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I've mentioned this before, but I am confused as to why they've seemingly placed the part where Matt gets taken in by the nuns and finally finds his mother at the beginning of this story, as opposed to closer to the end, as in the original comic-book storyline. It was such a pivotal moment which lead to the character finding his feet again as a kind of spiritual rebirth...to place it before all the stuff with Fisk goes down seems like a really, really strange narrative choice.

They're obviously going to take a lot of liberties with the story. Kingpin already knows DD's secret identity, Ben Urich is dead, Karen is not going to be drug addict, Captain America is not making an appearance, etc. I'm kind of anticipating them to have Bullseye appear and kill Karen, instead of Elektra like in the comics.

woolley

I enjoyed the show but I feel like it was really held back by a shitty villain. They should have went with one TBA would've been a lot easier to flesh out. Through the whole thing I didn't understand their motivations or plans or how their organization worked. Nothing is explained coherently.

manfestival

They've made the Iron Fist so useless here it wouldn't matter. Also Colleen sucks almost as much as Danny. Almost.

this is probably the most disappointing realization watching this show. It did feel like they tried to make him more relevant than he was in his own show but ultimately he is useless. The ironfist is just a convenient plot point more than anything.

First episode was pretty weak but the rest of the show was still pretty interesting. The villains were pretty flat as expected of anything of the hand since their introduction. Feels like the person above nailed it, it was more of daredevil season 3 over anything else. The last episode's scenes in the final 15 minutes felt way drawn out. Also didn't have the emotional impact that you get from other shows (maybe that is because it is too predictable when it comes to super heroes).

and for misty... I felt it was weird that they decided to leave her arm on the floor instead of bringing it with them hoping to reattach it. I mean, I know whats her face is a nurse but maybe she would've considered bringing it even though there may not be a chance. Just a thought...

SpaceWolf

Banned
Hollywood Reporter: 'The Defenders': Charlie Cox on What's Next For Daredevil

The ending mirrors a scene from Daredevil: Born Again, a popular arc from the comics. Would you be excited for Born Again to provide the story blueprints for season three of Daredevil?

For sure. That's such an amazing story. Everyone who loves Daredevil loves Born Again. You can't not. And if that's the case, then the implications of that would be very exciting to me. That would be great. Having said that, I know we don't tend to follow any story blueprints too closely, because if you do, then you become a foregone conclusion. There may be elements from Born Again, but I'm sure there will be elements that are unfamiliar and surprising and different in order for the show to be compelling to fans who know the comics very well. If we start making Born Again page-for-page, then the people who have read it and loved it — the hardcore fans — they won't have too much drama.

The last time he sees the Defenders, Matt pulls a Lost in Translation and whispers a secret in Danny Rand's ear. We later learn he was asking Danny to protect the city. In the comics, Danny takes on the Daredevil mantle for a little while. Are you comfortable with Finn Jones running around as the Devil of Hell's Kitchen if Matt needs some time on the mend?

Yeah, I love that man. I loved that moment. We had a lot of fun on the day, trying to make up all sorts of stupid stuff. (Laughs.) I remember trying to say things [that would break him], because obviously he has to keep a very straight face. I tell him something and the audience at that point doesn't know what it is. He takes it very seriously. I'm of course saying these very stupid, mundane and silly things in his ear and trying to make him crack a smile.

"You complete me!"

Exactly. (Laughs.) "Is it raining? I hadn't noticed!" Yeah, man. I love that stuff. And there are a few characters who dress up as DD at certain points in the comics. Peter Parker is another one. I think one of the nice relationships in The Defenders is the Matt and Danny relationship. Danny looks up to Matt a little bit, as a sensible older brother who has been doing this for a lot longer. At the same time, there's a mutual respect. Matt is very impressed with Danny's fighting techniques, and his skills, and his style. That friendship, there's definitely a lot of room for it to grow. I loved working with Finn. We had a great time. He's a true professional. If he's involved somehow further on, wearing the Daredevil suit? Yeah, for sure.

Q8D3vil

Just finished it, didnt like it:

-Too slow and too boring from start to finish.
-DD and LC are the best character by far, IF and JJ feels so forced.
-Pulling the goddamn shitty LC twist with the fucking villians. It was so much worse this time because Alexandra doesn't even hold a candle to Cottonmouth.
-So many fucking plotholes.
-Marvel need to hire whoever is doing the fight scenes in Into the badlands, that dude know how to comic action scenes better than anyone else.

5/10

LotusHD

Banned
I dunno why people keep saying it's a "LC twist" or whatever, as if Luke Cage is the first show to have ever done that lol

Animator

The fight choreography is so bad in these series it is like a parody now. Seriously marvel you have the money, hire some good choreographers. I have seen better looking high school fights than iron fist fighting.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I did like that rooftop scene in the end with Danny. Also...dude was finally summoning the fist for more than one hit without draining all his stamina lol

zeemumu

So Madame Gao is a master of the Buddhist Palm?

buddhist-palm-o.gif

Hyun Sai

I think I begin to understand why there is such a difference in quality from Daredevil serie regarding the fighting and the choregraphy (and why Charlie Cox fights seem so better than the rest of The Defenders).

Philip J Silvera : Fight coordinator, stunt coordinator for 2 seasons of DD, stunt double : Nobu (of course)

Chris Brewster : Assistant fight coordinator, stunt double : Daredevil / Charlie Cox, 2 seasons of DD

Eric Linden : Stunt double : John Bernthal, assistant stunt coordinator, 14 episodes.

I can also mention Justin Eaton who did Stick double and will be in the upcoming Punisher serie.

Unfortunately, seems like only Chris Brewster and Eaton are there in The Defenders, and I don't see any mention of a fight coordinator anywhere in the staff. On Iron Fist, they had Brett Chan and Hiroo Minami, but they really don't seem as talented as the DD team.

Perhaps there are some things I am missing, but the overall clunkyness makes more sense now.

-Marvel need to hire whoever is doing the fight scenes in Into the badlands, that dude know how to comic action scenes better than anyone else.

They d better hire who did the fights of the first season, because the second was a huge drop in quality.

hobozero

Best part was DD handing Danny his wack ass

Or how about when Electra handed Danny his ass?

Or that other time she kicked his ass?

Or when a room of MBAs handed him his ass?

Or when Jessica Jones knocked his ass out?

It's so hard to choose a favorite.

I hated the villains. I hate that Gao and the other dude got away. Kill them all.

To get Fisk in Season 1 then these cartoony fucks in Season 2 was such a horrible contrast. And Fisk's surprise throw down with Matt in S2 was the best stuff next to The Punisher.

The show is anal about removing anything flashy or cheesy about the characters, to the point that we have Iron Fist having to take his shirt off to reveal a pigeon chested logo to realise he's Iron Fist, but you have the ending taking place in a fucking dragon skeleton.

My lord, I enjoyed parts but what a massive wet blanket. I wonder where we'd be and what we'd be discussing if the Avengers had turned out to be this middling.

Mikef2000

Just finished it, overall I was very underwhelmed. Iron Fist and Colleen have an additional super power, the ability to suck the life out of any scene they are in.

I have one question, the final scene, the nun says "Get Maggie", who is she referring to?

LotusHD

Banned
Just finished it, overall I was very underwhelmed. Iron Fist and Colleen have an additional super power, the ability to suck the life out of any scene they are in.

I have one question, the final scene, the nun says "Get Maggie", who is she referring to?

Should be Matt's mother.

Razmos

"He loved this city"
"He sacrificed himself to save this city"

...no he didn't?
Everyone else was already escaping he just decided to go back and try to save Elektra.

Which just led to them having a weird sexy fight.

I still don't understand what happened with Elektra. So she regained her memories, killed Alexandra and then took over The Hand?
Why?
I don't get why she turned evil despite seemingly getting her memories back. What was her goal?

Mikef2000

"He loved this city"
"He sacrificed himself to save this city"

...no he didn't?
Everyone else was already escaping he just decided to go back and try to save Elektra.

Which just led to them having a weird sexy fight.

I still don't understand what happened with Elektra. So she regained her memories, killed Alexandra and then took over The Hand?
Why?
I don't get why she turned evil despite seemingly getting her memories back. What was her goal?

Yeah, it was all over the place. Not as bad as The Iron Fist, but very close.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i didn't have a problem with every one kicking danny's ass. it kind of shows you his inexperience. he probably didn't really face any real threats while sheltered in kung lung. more room for growth. i thought he was handled well enough. with all that meditation and training...he's still really just a kid in terms of combat/life experience

Razmos

Don't get me wrong I loved the rest of it. But the whole Daredevil/Elektra part of the show was easily the weakest part. And I quite enjoyed her in Daredevil season 2.

It was all just very confusing, it's like the writers were confused about what they were doing with her, which translated to the characters also being confused about her and just made it even more confusing for the audience.

What made her special as the black sky? If it wasn't her in the body of who used to be Elektra then why did she regain her memories so easily? Was she Elektra or Black Sky at the end?

Also really shitty about Alexandra. Pretty pointless character. I liked when they did that in Luke Cage, but it didn't work here

manfestival

Don't get me wrong I loved the rest of it. But the whole Daredevil/Elektra part of the show was easily the weakest part. And I quite enjoyed her in Daredevil season 2.

It was all just very confusing, it's like the writers were confused about what they were doing with her, which translated to the characters also being confused about her and just made it even more confusing for the audience.

What made her special as the black sky? If it wasn't her in the body of who used to be Elektra then why did she regain her memories so easily? Was she Elektra or Black Sky at the end?

Also really shitty about Alexandra. Pretty pointless character. I liked when they did that in Luke Cage, but it didn't work here

Speaking of her importance as the black sky... yeah it really makes 0 sense. Considering the black sky was some kid before and stick killed the kid. There was nothing to indicate what about what made her the "new" black sky.

Cardon

Unfortunately, seems like only Chris Brewster and Eaton are there in The Defenders, and I don't see any mention of a fight coordinator anywhere in the staff. On Iron Fist, they had Brett Chan and Hiroo Minami, but they really don't seem as talented as the DD team.

They d better hire who did the fights of the first season, because the second was a huge drop in quality.

Matt Mullins did the fight/stunt stuff for Defenders. This was his first time doing a Marvel Netflix series, but he previously did some stuff on Agents of Shield. Knowing Matt's work and having interviewed him twice in the past, he's a solid dude that knows his stuff.

Personally the fights in Defenders have had some cool elements to them but the directing has failed to elevate them to what was presented in DD S1. I also wonder if there was a bit of a time crunch since the show in general seemed a bit meh from a production value perspective.

Maximo

Well...that was average not as bad as Iron Fist but apart from the joy of watching them all together there wasn't much to it.

I am blind in one so I have to pause the video to read subtitles

did they really need that one guy who only speaks Japanese?

after so many centuries of life this one guy did not learn any other languages while his peers all understand him? That is so weird, did they think this would get all the anime fans on board?

LotusHD

Banned
I am blind in one so I have to pause the video to read subtitles

did they really need that one guy who only speaks Japanese?

after so many centuries of life this one guy did not learn any other languages while his peers all understand him? That is so weird, did they think this would get all the anime fans on board?

Ce1xlw.gif

chaos789

Banned
Wasn't as bad as some are saying. So will we see Danny finally wear some sort of mask or costume in IF Season Two? I am basing this on how it ended with him on the roof overlooking the city in the same manner DD use too. Was wearing a green and yellow jump suit too.

Them going with that Wu-Tang song from Enter the 36 Chambers that was playing in the background in the last episode was completely out of place.

jackdoe

Episode 7's opening flashback completely reminded me that Stick's "War" completely fizzled out into a background footnote mentioned in a casual conversation in a Chinese restaurant. Such a waste of time in Daredevil Season 2 if this was the payoff.

Top Bottom