• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Super Friends - August 18th on Netflix

The Hobo

It was funny that Misty blamed the system for Mariah getting off free, only for her boss to tell her that Mariah was only going free because Misty went outside of the system in the first place.

caliph95

It was funny that Misty blamed the system for Mariah getting off free, only for her boss to tell her that Mariah was only going free because Misty went outside of the system in the first place.
Yeah that was kinda hilarious

When keeping it real goes wrong

Man I hope Iron Fist S2 isn't just 13 more episodes of "Danny is dumb as fuck, makes stupid ass decisions all the livelong day, ignores the advice of everyone around him, fucks up, ruins everything, then pouts."

duckroll

I hope none of them are 13 episodes period.

We already know how many episodes Netflix is funding. Jessica Jones Season 2 and Luke Cage Season 2 are both 13 each. Daredevil Season 3 and Iron Fist Season 2 are 23 in total. So it's probably a 13/10 split. Punisher is also 13 episodes.

So we have four new 13 episode series to "look forward to" and a 10 episode one.

Could you imagine if Luke Cage ended after 7 episodes and the last thing we saw with those characters was Mariah pushing Cottonmouth out the window? Hype for S2 would have been through the roof, and they would have had a whole year+ to plan and write some good content for Diamondback.

LotusHD

Banned
We already know how many episodes Netflix is funding. Jessica Jones Season 2 and Luke Cage Season 2 are both 13 each. Daredevil Season 3 and Iron Fist Season 2 are 23 in total. So it's probably a 13/10 split. Punisher is also 13 episodes.

So we have four new 13 episode series to "look forward to" and a 10 episode one.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-343-1428948767-21.gif

Sir Doom

Some people I talked to said it ended abruptly, but I really like it. Condensed. Give more shortned season. also, No Buck and Randy is actually good in this show.
NYPD didn't file a report. Everything is closed tight and clean. A building exploded!

With the emphasis in hand to hand combat with less special effects maybe spend a little more in martial arts 🥋 choreographer. That final fight is just bunch random attacks just to fill time.

Could you imagine if Luke Cage ended after 7 episodes and the last thing we saw with those characters was Mariah pushing Cottonmouth out the window? Hype for S2 would have been through the roof, and they would have had a whole year+ to plan and write some good content for Diamondback.

My god I'd be all in. Sucks that they did Cottonmouth like that, he's still an elite villain

Jessica Jones probably could've been 8-10 too. Iron Fist could've never existed. Defender's could've been a movie!

OmegaFax

I think Stick calling Danny Rand a "thundering dumbass" was the best line in the show. It's like one writer on this shipwreck got to say their piece.

Kurdel

Banned
This show was trope city, packed with ALL the usual cliché lines.

It was cool to se the characters I like interact, but the story was horseshit.

Spend a whole season threatening New York, climax is collecting bones?

Bring down a tower to stop sn organization that exists every where and can regrow anytime? Whaaaaat?

Fuck this show, next time Netflix should do a movie.

Finished watching this earlier. It's an improvement on Iron Fist and Jessica Jones but still not up to DareDevil.

I really wish they actually defined Jessica's power levels and stuck to it, I've watched her show and this one and I still wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what she can do and how strong she is, it's always all over the place. If she can hold an elevator from falling with one hand she should be a hell of a lot more useful in a fight than she is. The same is mostly true for Luke who should swat aside basically everyone in this show.

The effects in that final elevator fight were so bad also, like you're fighting in a pitch black hole, there is no need for us to be able to tell how it's composited onto a background, just film against a black background!

Also fire whoever thought of using that Wu-Tang Clan song in the final fight.

But whatever, those things are just at the front of my mind after the last episode. Overall it was fine, I enjoyed the interactions between all the characters and still really enjoy the DareDevil and Luke Cage characters. Kind of disappointing Sigourney didn't make it to the end as I liked her character and wanted to see what she could do.

OmegaFax

I really wish they actually defined Jessica's power levels and stuck to it, I've watched her show and this one and I still wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what she can do and how strong she is, it's always all over the place. If she can hold an elevator from falling with one hand she should be a hell of a lot more useful in a fight than she is. The same is mostly true for Luke who should swat aside basically everyone in this show.

The portrayal of superhero powers in this show varies so much just to fit the plot at any given point. Luke Cage was either an immovable statue or at times he was knocked back by people that were probably normal humans.

The Hobo

It's weird when the villains are out of their depth against the heroes. The best Sowande could do against Luke was some nerve strikes, that probably would have killed a normal human, but only seemed to piss Luke off. His boast that he would find out whether Luke could be broken or not was followed by Luke beating his ass and capturing him. Off screen.

Daredevil had the upper hand almost the entire time when fighting both Bokuto and Murakami at once. Murakami then focused on Luke, only for Luke to put him down with ease. And then later throw him from the elevator.

Madame Gao was the only once with actual powers that could pose a threat to the heroes, and even then the threat was minimal because Luke and Jessica both shrugged off what she threw at them without much issue.

And the best Alexandra got to do was take down a newly resurrected and disorientated Elektra.

Such a disappointment.

This show was trope city, packed with ALL the usual cliché lines.

It was cool to se the characters I like interact, but the story was horseshit.

Spend a whole season threatening New York, climax is collecting bones?

Bring down a tower to stop sn organization that exists every where and can regrow anytime? Whaaaaat?

Fuck this show, next time Netflix should do a movie.

I would have honestly rather seen a 2 hour movie that had a decent budget so we could actually get a reputable threat. The Beast of the Hand maybe. The climax was a massive shart.

Randdalf

I enjoyed this despite its massive shortcomings. Mainly because the characters were still the characters in spite of the ... lackluster, sometimes quite awful, writing. It was a far cry from Daredevil S1 in terms of quality. I really hope Elektra is truly gone, had enough of that character.

It was not very good.

Sparse budget for what should have been the TV equivalent of the Avengers. Maybe would have worked better as a 5 episodes package, instead of 8, to optimize the budget they could work with.

Jessica and Luke were enjoyable. The villains felt under-powered by a marked margin.

Just finished it. I liked it. It was fun. Keeping it to 8 episodes was the right call.

My one gripe of all things was the interrogation for Sawande. It seemed inconsistent how the Hand would refer to the team like they were these unknown meddlers, but then Sawande taunts Jessica with her past like he knows all about her all of a sudden? Gao does this with Claire in Iron Fist too. She taunts her about her relationship with others like Luke Cage when it just makes no sense. It made me think Gao had telepathy or something.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Just finished it. I liked it. It was fun. Keeping it to 8 episodes was the right call.

My one gripe of all things was the interrogation for Sawande. It seemed inconsistent how the Hand would refer to the team like they were these unknown meddlers, but then Sawande taunts Jessica with her past like he knows all about her all of a sudden? Gao does this with Claire in Iron Fist too. She taunts her about her relationship with others like Luke Cage when it just makes no sense. It made me think Gao had telepathy or something.

Killgrave and his dealings with Jessica became a very public, national story of interest after
Jessica murdered Killgrave
in her own series, when witnesses by dozens of previously mind-controlled New Yorkers. Based on references in Luke Cage, it seems a lot of people in New York know her story and what went down...hence why she suddenly finds herself with so many new clients at the end of the first season of her show.

I don't remember Gao seeming to know too much about Claire, though I imagine The Hand was keeping tabs on Cage anyway as a person of interest when he started taking down drug dealers all over Harlem without taking a sweat. The Hand is fairly well known for trying to use a person's loved ones as a means of exploiting them (as Alexandra herself says "the more connections you have, the easier it'll be to break you". I'm sure The Hand would have known about Claire as a means of using her as leverage against Cage if the situation called for it...hence why she knew what she did.

T.v

I liked it. My expectations were low after not really enjoying LC, JJ and IF but Defenders surpassed them. The interactions and dynamics between the team was fun, especially everyone acknowledging Danny is a dumbass. The villains were all pretty underwhelming though, only Elektra managed to be an actual threat in the end. Jessica and Luke constantly getting out skilled only to win due to their powers was a nice touch. Funny that Danny, the living weapon, managed to look the weakest of them all. Dude got schooled by Matt. Granted, Matt was portrayed very strong here. More than holding his own against Murakami and Bakuto simultaneously at one point. Overall, Matt was definitely the most interesting of the bunch, and I am one of the few who apparently likes Elektra and their dynamic so the ending was great to me. I would have been fine if Matt went out like that, but I am curious where they'll take him and Elektra next.

I also think they left Danny in a pretty good place to go forward from in IF2. Maybe his character is still salvageable. I'm not writing him off just yet.

Rymuth

I legit laughed when Alexandra died because she reminded me SO much of Dr. Evil during her final moments.

DR EVIL: "I will not tolerate any more failures! I am the one who will maintain the dignity of this evil organization" *Stab*

Just_one

A bit off topic : am i the only one who thought that the actress that plays misty has some amazing big boobs?? That was hot!

About the show...it starts great but as other have mentioned the last 2 episodes are a bit underwhelming

I legit laughed when Alexandra died because she reminded me SO much of Dr. Evil during her final moments.

DR EVIL: "I will not tolerate any more failures! I am the one who will maintain the dignity of this evil organization" *Stab*

Similar moment for me during the final Daredevil vs Elektra fight. My sister and I laughed at the "There is good in you, I feel it." Straight out of Star Wars.

A bit off topic : am i the only one who thought that the actress that plays misty has some amazing big boobs?? That was hot!

About the show...it starts great but as other have mentioned the last 2 episodes are a bit underwhelming

First episode of Luke Cage, she looks stunning. I really don't think they could've cast anyone better.

Rymuth

All right, now that I've had a day to ruminate on things, here's what I don't understand

1) Murakami says the five willingly left with Alexandra but Danny says the Elders banished the five. Which is it?

2) Is the dragon the same one Danny punched? Shouldn't it be in Kun Lun and this dragon be a different one?

Is the dragon the same one Danny punched? Shouldn't it be in Kun Lun and this dragon be a different one?

I didn't get what they were trying to convey there either. At first I thought the seal to which IF was the key was a portal back to Kun Lun, but that can't be it because we see later it is literally just a cave. And you would think someone would have said 'Hey we're in Kun Lun!'

IF does lament 'You desecrate the honour of [dragon name]!', to which Gao responds 'You're the one who punched him in the heart' - and that makes it sound like it was indeed the dragon Danny fought...

I didn't watch Iron Fist so maybe I missed some kind of context there, but yeah I was left unclear as to what the bottom of that hole was supposed to be lol.

Jubern

Finished it the other day and it felt so... plain. Unconsequential.

Matt being in brood mode was boring, Danny was the worst as I feared after dropping his show halfway through the first episode and Jessica and Luke didn't feel like they belonged in that mess.

I've always thought that the "grounded" stuff was the best thing about Daredevil, JJ and LC. As such I loved DD S1 and the whole thing about the Punisher in S2. JJ and LC were more a matter of quality dropping like a rock after the midway point, before that they were good.

But I have always disliked the mystical "high stakes" bullshit because I knew they couldn't make it feel that threatening, and my fears were confirmed in this.

It wasn't absolutely terrible, there simply wasn't anything really interesting about it. Time to stop hurting myself with those shows I guess...

VAD

Comics hand is way more fun with undead ninjas that turn into dust when beaten, Typhoid Mary and
Kingpin
at the head.

Top Bottom