• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 3 - Brothers, Bridge, and Backstabbing in 2010 Minnesota - Wed on FX

Ray died as he lived, a complete idiot.

Asian hitman being a IRS lawyer was amazing, where do you get hired killers with such a range of talent.

I still wonder how the series is gonna tie into the East Berlin opening scene.

Bandit1

I'm hoping it does, but I'm not sure if it will. They've gone out of their way with "stories" this season, beginning with the story in East Berlin, the cop telling the story of the little girl and the balloon, Varga telling three or four stories just tonight. The case of mistaken identity in East Berlin may have just been a theme to coincide with the mistaken identity of Emmit/Ennis Stussy.

I'm hoping it does, but I'm not sure if it will. They've gone out of their way with "stories" this season, beginning with the story in East Berlin, the cop telling the story of the little girl and the balloon, Varga telling three or four stories just tonight. The case of mistaken identity in East Berlin may have just been a theme to coincide with the mistaken identity of Emmit/Ennis Stussy.

Maybe, although Varga's Lenin quote and Stalin portrait seem like clues.

Sepinwall answering a question that I had mid-episode:
* The motel where Nikki hides out closely resembles the one where season two’s Sioux Falls Massacre took place, but it’s not the same place either in the context of the story (St. Cloud is a long drive from Sioux Falls, and Ray heads back to the apartment like it’ll be a quick trip) or real-world production (the greater Calgary area apparently has multiple motels in that basic configuration).

Sean C

Varga is dragging down this whole season for me. He's a crap villain spouting inane monologues, and who anybody who's not a moron should be able to see through.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Best episode of the season so far, and honestly, it took about the same time for season 2 to be great as well. Vargas picking his teeth with a screwdriver (I think?) was just about the most disgusting thing I have ever seen, holy shit. Liking the overarching theme of Alternative Facts as well.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Ah, well, I guess that's why she wasn't killed last episode. Those Varga bois are a clever bunch.

I saw this term in Urban Dictionary, and thought of Varga and his boys, since they have that wolf motif:

Wolf Tickets -The phrase "wolf ticket" is the result of a misunderstood African-American slang expression for the practice of verbal intimidation, "sellin' woof tickets," that was incorrectly transposed by whites. Over time, the corrupted nomenclature has become accepted terminology.

There's also a wikipedia entry.

Wolf ticket is a literal translation of the Russian language phrase волчий билет (volchiy bilyet), a colloquial expression to denote a version of a document with restrictive clauses in comparison to the full document. Figuratively, the phrase remains in use in many of the countries of the former communist bloc, usually to denote any kind of document that negatively affects one's career.

I wonder if a character will say this term in their dialogue?

A couple of tidbits from Reddit:

- VFX breakdown from this episode's critical scene
- Also, I didn't notice this:
I'm sorry if someone has already picked this up- but you can hear the TV airing a sitcom version of the scene in Season 2 where Dodd is tied up by Peggy and Ed. The voices were all different and there was a laughtrack. I thought it was pretty bizarre and wonderful.
Did any of you figure that out? I haven't gone back to check yet.

Ewans girlfriend going to go on a killing spree.

Trying to think who would be the players in a big shootout but I dont think its gonna kick off like that in this one.

Maybe the police vs varga cru but I think this is more about message than spectacle.

Veelk

Banned
I know that these guys like to fuck with people's heads, but where in the hell did Meemo get (or even know to get) an identical suit to the IRS lawyer with an identical suitcase with identical notepads and pens and copy his exact mannerisms in such short notice and did they really spend who knows how much money just to troll him?

Edit: The suit looks a little large on Meemo on second viewing. Maybe he stole it from the IRS dude?

Einchy

They couldn't possibly have been planning for this to happen.

Sounds like the plan was to kill Ray and make it seem like Nikki killed him because of domestic abuse, which is why they just hit her in the stomach, Varga goes over this. It just worked out that Emmit ended up killing him, so they could still use the plan, but they didn't have to kill him themselves AND now Emmit is in the shit even more so, so much that he has to go along with everything they say.
Ewans girlfriend going to go on a killing spree.

Trying to think who would be the players in a big shootout but I dont think its gonna kick off like that in this one.

Maybe the police vs varga cru but I think this is more about message than spectacle.

She does know where they're at, they don't know who she knows and she has a gun. There's not much stopping her from just sneaking there and killing them.

[edit]

When she's healed up a bit more, that is.

I know that these guys like to fuck with people's heads, but where in the hell did Meemo get (or even know to get) an identical suit to the IRS lawyer with an identical suitcase with identical notepads and pens and copy his exact mannerisms in such short notice and did they really spend who knows how much money just to troll him?

Edit: The suit looks a little large on Meemo on second viewing. Maybe he stole it from the IRS dude?

Did he do the same thing with the briefcase and pens when we first saw him? I don't remember but if he did, it'd be pretty funny if they saw him do it with one of the cameras Vargas has.

Einchy

I think that wins the award for the least likely death in the history of television.

Yeah, it took a bit of suspension of disbelief but Fargo is a show that's all about weird shit happening, so it didn't bother me too much. I do think it would've maybe worked better if Emmit has gotten really mad, lost his temper and hit him with it. The way it happened, it didn't really hit him that hard and the angle was all wrong for him to get stabbed in the neck hard enough for something like that to have happened.

cyba89

Now that was an unusual death...
Great episode overall.

Dunst was pretty flat in season 2 I thought, honestly felt like she was super miscast and it just didn't really even feel like she wanted to be on the show.

Now that's an unusual opinion. I thought Dunst was great (especially in the finale) and the best thing about the second season.

Seesaw15

Unless there's some sort of One Piece style flashback episode to explain Rays childhood dude was a loser who deserved to die.

Favorite brother is still alive so I don't care.

traveler

Not Wario
I just hope Emmit and Sy get out of this ok. Unlike in previous seasons, they've yet to demonstrate why these guys deserve to be in the mess they're in, Emmit especially. It always been the approach in Fargo to have seemingly small acts of evil snowball into trouble due to the characters' senseless handling of them and refusal to go right things. I feel like Emmit and Sy handled the hand they were dealt as best they could- initially doing their best to try to pay Varga back, then trying to investigate him quietly when threatened, to trying to distance themselves from Ray without harming them, to, finally, this episode- where Emmit goes well beyond what is right to try and patch things up and end the conflict. Like, am I supposed to view these guys the same way as William H Macy, Martin Freeman, and Kirsten Dunst? They're totally in a different ballpark.

I do think this show is pretty on point in terms of, entrapment etc. Plus thematically suitable in regards to the FBI investigation of Trump campaign etc.

Take a loan from who knows who, then slowly suckered into more criminality. Definitely sounds familiar.

Fury451

Banned
I just hope Emmit and Sy get out of this ok. Unlike in previous seasons, they've yet to demonstrate why these guys deserve to be in the mess they're in, Emmit especially. It always been the approach in Fargo to have seemingly small acts of evil snowball into trouble due to the characters' senseless handling of them and refusal to go right things. I feel like Emmit and Sy handled the hand they were dealt as best they could- initially doing their best to try to pay Varga back, then trying to investigate him quietly when threatened, to trying to distance themselves from Ray without harming them, to, finally, this episode- where Emmit goes well beyond what is right to try and patch things up and end the conflict. Like, am I supposed to view these guys the same way as William H Macy, Martin Freeman, and Kirsten Dunst? They're totally in a different ballpark.

Emmit and Sy are low-key very dick-ish though, just not in the same way as previous protagonists. That's not a bad thing, I think they are far more relatable, well-meaning and definitely don't deserve the outcome of circumstances, but once the train gets rolling everybody gets hit regardless of whether not they deserved it.

As far as the death goes, I'm surprised so many people seem to be mixed on it, the show opens with a ridiculous contrived death to set the stage; that's sort of the point. Circumstances that maybe trivial can go sideways and have devastating consequences is kind of the theme of the season.

So far even the weaker parts of the season don't compare the two ridiculously stupid things that happened at the end of the second season that so many people defended as being brilliant or whatever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ray died as he lived, a complete idiot.

Asian hitman being a IRS lawyer was amazing, where do you get hired killers with such a range of talent.

Insert joke about how his Asian parents probably pressured him to get an accountant degree before he decided to follow his dreams and become a hitman.

Yeah, Ray's death didn't work at all for me. I can't even imagine a scenario where that scene works in the script, especially with the way you have to shoot it with 1 actor playing 2 characters.

I feel like Emmit should have made some attempt to help, his character doesn't seem so far down the path (yet) that he'd just let his brother die like that. Unless I'm missing something and it was preconceived.

Season 1 > 2 >> 3 for me, so far. A shame, but I loved Legion so I still believe in Hawley.

If I had to say something good about season 3 is that it has the best main cop of the whole Fargo universe, but that's it.

I feel like people are saying this because they like Carrie Coon, she's fine in the role but her character just seems like a very familiar, very safe iteration of the standard Fargo cop role.

She's better than Patrick Wilson was at least. Oh man did I hate that guy.

Ernest

Banned
And that's why you use acrylic plexi-glass in picture frames instead of real glass!

While I do like the music the show uses, the WAY the show uses music is really distracting, drawing WAY too much attention to the songs, aWAY from the show, sort of like how I keep capitalizing "way"...

I feel like people are saying this because they like Carrie Coon, she's fine in the role but her character just seems like a very familiar, very safe iteration of the standard Fargo cop role.

She's better than Patrick Wilson was at least. Oh man did I hate that guy.

Yep. Carrie Coon is a great actress but the character she's playing is nothing special at all. She's being wasted.

Veelk

Banned
I feel she hasn't gotten her stride yet. Her enemy has been the new Chief's passive aggressivism for the most part and the rudeness of other folk.

I liked her interaction with Varga. He tried to get her off balance by invoking hitler, and she shut that down. Which I personally like because Varga's philosophical spoutings are just much more nonsensical than Lorne's or Mike's were(I think intentionally so. He just uses the fact that he's well read to confuse people rather than say anything meaningful), so I'm glad there is finally a character that just doesn't take his stupid shit.

Top Bottom