• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 3 - Brothers, Bridge, and Backstabbing in 2010 Minnesota - Wed on FX

- Warming Glow: ‘Fargo’ Frozen Five: Sy Fultz Had A Very Bad Day

mAmZm2u.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It feels like an SNL skit version of Fargo to me.

Leaving Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character alive rang so incredibly false that it effectively ruined the entire episode for me. Just complete hack writing.

I'm so fucking torn on that scene. Sy's reaction (and leaving without calling for help) made it seem like they caved her head in or something. Which honestly, I wouldn't have liked because we have enough shows with dead women at the center. But them tuning her up and leaving her alive rang false, like you said.

I guess maybe the thugs misinterpreted Sy's relationship with Nikki and just beat her up to send a message. But since Sy doesn't give a shit about her, he left without calling 911 for fear of having to drink another mug of piss?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yeah, I think she shouldn't have survived.

Do you go on a speech about how the sand is stained red after millions of people dying and then just beat up someone? And then just enough where she's hurt but is somehow able to drive back home, walk up all her stairs and get in the tub? Maybe there's a reason they left her alive but it kinda seems like a bit of bullshit right now.

I guess maybe the thugs misinterpreted Sy's relationship with Nikki and just beat her up to send a message. But since Sy doesn't give a shit about her, he left without calling 911 for fear of having to drink another mug of piss?

I'm trying to think of a reason why as well but I don't think this would be it.

Varga already knows all the ins and outs to what's happening to the brothers AND he seems to want to get rid of Sy, so I don't think beating up someone they think is close to him would accomplish anything.

Speevy

Banned
That episode had more interesting things happening in it, but they were also very dumb.

My brain checked out the moment Stussey's wife wouldn't even entertain the notion that she had been fooled by a tape of her brother in law, but I was almost back into the show when they beat the brother's girlfriend to death...and then, yeah, fuck you show.

Also, tampons, cum mugs, what 12 year old got a hold of the script this year?

Not as good as last season's masterpiece of story telling but I'm still loving the show. Noah has engendered enough goodwill with his projects to get a pass on a season that's bad for him but still better than 95% of the tv out there.

As for the direction of the story I think the main bad guy has been planning all along to pit everyone against each other. Stussy brother against stussy brother. Stussy against sy. Einstein against stussy etc. With the end game being make his money from the lots and disappear with the main characters having all killed each other

Its fun to watch for an hour but the story is just an absolute mess so far. I'm hoping it can all come together. This is probably the weakest cast of the 3 seasons - still a pretty good cast, but nowhere near the caliber of 1 & 2.

Varga makes no sense as a character, he may as well be a supernatural demon.

Speevy

Banned
Also, if you're going to write a mysterious, pulling a bunch of strings dark character like Varga, you don't have him completely clueless about what is going on.

It's like he wants to run a nebulous criminal enterprise, but is completely blindsided by almost everything that happens to either Stussey brother to the point where he has to intimidate them in broad daylight on a weekly basis.

Like...look at Gustavo Fring for an example of how to do a character of this nature right. Yes I know Gus Fring is nothing like Varga, but Gus was both menacing and calculating in a public and private way. Varga just comes off as an oddball who doesn't know what the fuck is happening.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
After last season this season is a pretty big disappointment. The characters seem a bit too chaotic to me. There needs to be more Carrie Coon to ground us. My favorite episode so far was the one showing the past. "I can help!" It gave me hope for the season but it's kinda dying again for me.

Ross61

I'm tired of the hack writing of fridging women so I'm kind of glad they kept her alive.

And for the complaints about Sy's reaction to the beating. How different would your reaction be to you helplessly watching a women getting beaten near death.

Einchy

And for the complaints about Sy's reaction to the beating. How different would your reaction be to you helplessly watching a women getting beaten near death.

I think the issue with that scene was the dialogue, reaction, editing and sound effects, everything was screaming "SHE DED YO" but she wasn't. Would've made a great death scene, too.

shoelacer

Banned
Varga is easily the worst/least compelling villain of the series - just comically awful - and the narrative is insultingly boring

The first two seasons 'got' the madcap tone of the movie but this feels like Zach Snyder version of the Cohens tbh

shoelacer

Banned
Indisputable is how well the music supervisors for the past two seasons understand how well the score works. The fuckin snare rolls on this show are perfect

Daffy Duck

I think that them leaving her for dead will backfire greatly!

I imagine they will come to regret not finishing her off and we will now learn how much of a hard ass she is. It wouldn't surprise if she really fucks their shit up, she will be the tough wolf in sheeps clothing if you will that will bring the brothers together to fight Varga as the common enemy.

I think that them leaving her for dead will backfire greatly!

I imagine they will come to regret not finishing her off and we will now learn how much of a hard ass she is. It wouldn't surprise if she really fucks their shit up, she will be the tough wolf in sheeps clothing if you will that will bring the brothers together to fight Varga as the common enemy.

Exactly my thought. The brothers now have a common enemy.

Einchy

I can't imagine Nikki becoming an issue for Varga anytime soon. She thinks she's some kind of mastermind but has been wrong every step of the way so far and has just fucked everything up more so than if she just had done nothing. Nikki trying to step up to Varga would just end up with her getting thrown off a building.

I can't imagine Nikki becoming an issue for Varga anytime soon. She thinks she's some kind of mastermind but has been wrong every step of the way so far and has just fucked everything up more so than if she just had done nothing. Nikki trying to step up to Varga would just end up with her getting thrown off a building.

That could be his downfall. Coming up against someone so thick he hasn't got a clue what they'll do.

Arkeband

Banned
That beating scene was kind of uncharacteristically poorly written. Everyone watching with me was like "did they even hit her? She doesn't look hurt."

Like, if she has internal bleeding, make her cough up some blood or something, indicate that she isn't Bruce Willis Unbreakable.

And even when he pulled up her shirt to reveal the welts in the tub, we still don't know if she's fine, will be in the hospital next episode, or succumbed. It was Schrodinger's Maiming, utterly meaningless until next week.

Bandit1

Is that part about $10,000 withdrawal real? I've never heard that and the IRS can just show up at your office and camp out??

I think so, I've heard about the $10,000 threshold before, apparently if you withdraw that much money it piques the interest of the IRS. Not sure about camping in the office though.

Is that part about $10,000 withdrawal real? I've never heard that and the IRS can just show up at your office and camp out??

Yes, there are a whole bunch of reports under FinCEN that must be reported to the Department of Treasury (not IRS, but Treasury can pass it on to IRS) such as large deposits or withdrawals, buying more than $3k in travelers cheques, and something called "structuring" - withdrawing smaller amounts but totaling more than 10k all together. I believe the requirements are anything thats over 2k and exhibits a pattern of suspicion, or any currency transactions of 10k or more. By law they are also not allowed to tell the customer it has filed the report.

Thats how former House Speaker Dennis Hastert got busted for paying off his pedophilia victims, he was withdrawing small amounts but consistently and often, to the point where the bank reported him to the treasury which started an investigation which led to realizing he was paying the same person off.

Neoweee

Yes. And intentionally withdrawing smaller amounts in chunks to avoid that $10,000 limit is also illegal.

See: How Dennis Hastert got busted.

kevin1025

Banned
Massive red herring in the most recent episode.

Varga mentions in the car with Emmit that he only needs a Stussy for Stussy Lots. I'm thinking Ray gets what he always wanted (with a permanent wig!), but just as the Maurice LeFay story catches the better of him. I know he mentions it as Sy's collusion plan, but still...

Can't say I've enjoyed some of the gross scenes in the last couple episodes. Tampon in drawer, vomiting food with nasty mouth close up afterwards, and now drinking a cup of piss. I'm probably going to stop watching this one while eating.

Season is ok but not really grabbing me like the first two did.

Einchy

While I'm enjoying the show and look forward to it each Wednesday and probably like it more than some of ya'll, I do feel like this is the weakest season so far. I think one of the main issues is that things are taking way too long to get going and it just kinda feels unfocused. You had the step-father getting killed and what appeared like a mystery being mistakenly unearthed but then that didn't lead anywhere, aside from an episode that felt like it might as well have been from a different TV show since it added nothing to the plot, a plot that REALLY needed to start moving along.

Fury451

Banned
While I'm enjoying the show and look forward to it each second and probably like it more than some of ya'll, I do feel like this is the weakest season so far. I think one of the main issues is that things are taking way too long to get going and it just kinda feels unfocused. You had the step-father getting killed and what appeared like a mystery being mistakenly unearthed but then that didn't lead anywhere, aside from an episode that felt like it might as well have been from a different TV show since it added nothing to the plot, a plot that REALLY needed to start moving along.

I'm really thinking this'll be a season that comes together well when it's all done, and on rewatch.

Hope so anyway. Probably the most intriguing season to me so far, even if it does meander a bit. Then again the meandering may be somewhat purposeful, but I also won't make excuses if it ends up being disjointed

TTOOLL

Holy shit if I were fucked like Emmit already is I would just show up and blow Varga and his goons' brains out with a shotgun. Fuck everything, fuck Varga!

rekameohs

Banned
This most recent episode is finally the one that got my interest. This is definitely a different season than the others, but I hope that it will all come together nicely. I am a little tired of the "shock value" stuff that Hawley does, though. Earlier seasons did it with graphic violence, and this one is doing it with Varga's extreme grossness.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm slowly getting more drawn into the season, but it really can't compare with s2. Varga saves it for me. Strangely enough, his bulimia was the most intruiging part of his character. Here you have this cunning and cruel criminal injecting himself into this company... but he has an eating disorder. I wonder if they'll do more with that later on.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
While I'm enjoying the show and look forward to it each second and probably like it more than some of ya'll, I do feel like this is the weakest season so far. I think one of the main issues is that things are taking way too long to get going and it just kinda feels unfocused. You had the step-father getting killed and what appeared like a mystery being mistakenly unearthed but then that didn't lead anywhere, aside from an episode that felt like it might as well have been from a different TV show since it added nothing to the plot, a plot that REALLY needed to start moving along.

Yeah, it does currently feel somewhat scattershot. While I can't help but detect tinges of True Detective s02, I remain hopeful that the threads will coalesce nicely.

I'm slowly getting more drawn into the season, but it really can't compare with s2. Varga saves it for me. Strangely enough, his bulimia was the most intruiging part of his character. Here you have this cunning and cruel criminal injecting himself into this company... but he has an eating disorder. I wonder if they'll do more with that later on.

I'm curious if it ends up being something that fucks him over or even gets him killed.

Even though I agree with some of the criticism thrown around in this thread - the season is weaker than the previous two overall - I am still enjoying it immensely. It is a slow burn, but I am very interested to see where it leads.

Varga is a comical villain, but I really like the acting regardless - the voice, the teeth, the small expressions and character-tics... It is enjoyable to watch.

Top Bottom