• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2017 The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year (Read OP, No Game Whining)

Donos

What happened to Infiltration? He has not found his footing in SFV.
Wanted to ask the same. Seemed like he would be unbeatable for a while but then i suddenly didn't see him win bigger tourneys anymore.

Crazy that balances threw him out so much.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Happy for Tokido. I had to tap out half way through top 8 but I'll watch a replay of the rest.

Would be nice if they drop a game from Sunday (Smash?) next year and have things wrap up at a more tv-friendly time for us east coasters.
How bout no

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Infiltration lost to Nuckle Du and Xiaohai

He won SFV Evo last year? I'm hoping he picks up his old favorite Akuma after this.
Asked about Akuma, he said that he doesn't think Akuma is strong now. He thought about making Akuma his main character, but after experiencing it, Infiltration doesn't feel comfortable with Akuma's playstyle.

Well...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Would be nice if they drop a game from Sunday (Smash?) next year and have things wrap up at a more tv-friendly time for us east coasters.

Yeah, I wish the last event started a good 2-3 hours earlier. Smash is huge and dropping that on the final day would be a mistake, but out the line-up yesterday, BlazBlue could have been bumped back to Saturday or something.

Or they could have two stages set up for certain games and then switch back to a single stage for the biggest games at the end.

Tripon

I feel like it's almost better to drop into losers during top 8 at some point. You get to play right before grand finals and be warmed up while winners side waits and comes in rusty.
It didn't used to be like that. It used to be Losers semis ➡️ winners finals➡️losers finals ➡️ grand finals. But then people started complaining that it wasn't fair to the loser of winner finals so it got switched to winners finals going first and loser semis going second.

I should've been at EVO this year! It pains me. I'm angry.

Tell me about it. I went last year thinking it was going to be fun (it was) but this year's blew it out of the water completely.

Next year will be even better with more games (Arika EX, Dragonball Z Fighters, MVCI, SFV season 3, etc) so I think that will be good.

LiK

He struggled after his EVO win last year. He got engaged/married during that time, so it remains to be seen how much that was taking him out of the game. His streaming was almost non-existent during that period.

He got married? Didn't even know he had a lady. Altho I don't really keep up with the FGC news.

MechaX

What happened to Infiltration? He has not found his footing in SFV.

S2 probably hit him the absolute hardest, and Combofiend made it no secret that they broke Nash's legs because Infiltration was playing him in a style they were not anticipating.

He tried to go to Juri because he genuinely liked her, but that blew up in his face hella hard.

He's married now, so that's even less time to dedicate.

Tell me about it. I went last year thinking it was going to be fun (it was) but this year's blew it out of the water completely.

Next year will be even better with more games (Arika EX, Dragonball Z Fighters, MVCI, SFV season 3, etc) so I think that will be good.

Oh sound like you trying to watch, I'm trying to win.

BadWolf

Saw this posted on reddit:

Little story about Tokido I posted on r/streetfighter...
Back in 2007, my brother and I went to Japan to play 3s with the best in the world at GamersVision. The arcade was about an hour outside of Tokyo and it was hard for us to find it since we barely knew any Japanese. I called GamersVision, and Tokido was working there and answered.

His English was very limited back then, but he still managed to give us decent directions. Tokido and KSK gave us a very nice welcome as it was pretty rare for foreigners to travel that far out back then just for 3s comp, they were unbelievably nice to us, and we were thinking, "WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!!" They were so happy to have guests from outside of japan. Tokido even put me on his team during the weekly 3v3, I wasn't near their level, but he really wanted me to have fun and enter the tournament since I didn't have 2 other team mates.

Tokido took it upon himself to show us around a bit without us asking. He took us to a crazy restaurant and we had some really interesting dishes....one of them being a tiny piece of RAW HORSE!!! I wasn't about to turn down the 3s Chun-Li GOD Tokido, so I said, fuck them pretty and beautiful creatures, I'M EATING PONY TONIGHT!!!....it was pretty good with the sauce.... :(

When the check came, we saw that it was over 20000 yen (about 200 bucks), we tried to pay for it because we knew that Tokido was working at the arcade and he was a student. There is also no prize money in Japan for tournaments back then, so we really didn't want him to waste money on us, but he absolutely would not allow us to pay. He was such a fucking nice guy. I'll never forget how well he treated us two random foreign scrubs.
Fighting games are great. Thank you Hajime Tanaguchi, you deserved the win a long time ago.

I was there and the crowd went nuts over Skullomania, me included. However, I can't say I'm actually going to play it. The gameplay to me looks awful. Why are animations so floaty?

Nyoro SF

I was there and the crowd went nuts over Skullomania, me included. However, I can't say I'm actually going to play it. The gameplay to me looks awful. Why are animations so floaty?

It was only a tiny gameplay slice, but it looks like a WIP from a very small company, so it met my expectations.

SF5 top 8 was amazing ( like last year). I really love playing and watching V. Tokidos akuma was so damn good. He put in the work. Punk played great as well. He was washing everybody till Tokido.

T7 was great as well. The actual GF was meh, but what you gonna do.

Didn't watch anything else. Need to catch up on YouTube.

jm89

Is infil still relying on nash? I missed alot of the knockout round so no idea.

I expect him to do alot better. In sf4 he was one of the most versatile players he had pocket characters that you probably never seen him play and he would use them to win against tough opponents. Is he not taking it seriously anymore?

Boke1879

With Punk I just think experience or lack thereof just did him in.

Also he probably psyched himself out. Dude looked nervous before the match even began. Hopefully he enters more tournaments and just grinds and build up that mental fortitude.

The EX games were always like that, they had rather floaty physics in general, pretty noticeable during jumps and hits. I wasn't too much of a fan of the EX series even though I owned them on PSX back in the day, but it is different enough from other games feel-wise and mechanically that people can try it out if they are looking for something different.

What's sad is that he was doing pretty good until the reset. Then Tokido just Bulldozed him.

It was a bad situation for Punk either way. I love Punk, but i think he would've lost to Itazan too. I knew that if Tokido played in longer sets, he'd beat Punk as well.

There were a couple of HUGE tells:

1. Punk wasn't confident that he could take Tokido. He revealed on one of the earlier streams that he and Tokido just played a First to 10, and Tokido swept. Experience goes a long way and a lot of these guys are conditioned for shorter sets. Tokido is legend as well as a Daigo-level master and WILL DOWNLOAD YOU. He trains with the absolute best.

No offense to Jwong and Kbrad and Alex Meyers because those guys are phenomenal players and among the best to ever do it, but when your training partners are Daigo and Mago and Bonchan and you're already a veteran who is considered one of the Top 5 in the world, Punk really had an uphill battle.

2. I was hoping that Itazan would lose to Tokido, and he did. Itazan is too dope and I just don't think that Punk has had enough master-level Zangief matchup practice. Punk's only Gief/Karin matchup was Snake Eyez, and Snake bested him at CEO. Itazan might be a bit better than Snake, but only by a hair and it's 50/50 at that.

I truly don't think that Punk would've defeated him. Especially if, like Tokido, the sets go longer. If Punk feels dispirited now, imagine how he would've felt if Itazan got him in an SPD loop. That shit might've snatched his young soul! It's better that he lost to Tokido because at least he can see where he can improve and aim for next year.

When Gief crushes you, it's toss the fucking controller down and reassess your life soul-crushing.

Edit - Also, shout out to Fchamp. That dude one day is going to go all the way in SF. If he played any other character, he'd stay in Top 8. He's about that Dhalsim life and Champ is the most amazing technical scientist I've ever seen. Him and Xian.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It was a bad situation for Punk either way. I love Punk, but i think he would've lost to Itazan too. I knew that if Tokido played in longer sets, he'd beat Punk as well.

There were a couple of HUGE tells:

1. Punk wasn't confident that he could take Tokido. He revealed on one of the earlier streams that he and Tokido just played a First to 10, and Tokido swept. Experience goes a long way and a lot of these guys are conditioned for shorter sets. Tokido is legend as well as a Daigo-level master and WILL DOWNLOAD YOU. He trains with the absolute best.

No offense to Jwong and Kbrad and Alex Meyers because those guys are phenomenal players and among the best to ever do it, but when your training partners are Daigo and Mago and Bonchan and you're already a veteran who is considered one of the Top 5 in the world, Punk really had an uphill battle.

2. I was hoping that Itazan would lose to Tokido, and he did. Itazan is too dope and I just don't think that Punk has had enough master-level Zangief matchup practice. Punk's only Gief/Karin matchup was Snake Eyez, and Snake bested him at CEO. Itazan might be a bit better than Snake, but only by a hair and it's 50/50 at that.

I truly don't think that Punk would've defeated him. Especially if, like Tokido, the sets go longer. If Punk feels dispirited now, imagine how he would've felt if Itazan got him in an SPD loop. That shit might've snatched his young soul! It's better that he lost to Tokido because at least he can see where he can improve and aim for next year.

When Gief crushes you, it's toss the fucking controller down and reassess your life soul-crushing.

Edit - Also, shout out to Fchamp. That dude one day is going to go all the way in SF. If he played any other character, he'd stay in Top 8. He's about that Dhalsim life and Champ is the most amazing technical scientist I've ever seen. Him and Xian.

He already face Itazan at the beginning of Top 8 and it really wasn't that close since he was using Nash.

BadWolf

Curious about this too. MKX debut year got to like 180k ircc

Which is why I was surprised ij2 wasn't on Sunday.

When I was watching the top 8 evo stream IJ2 was in the 40-50K range.

Though I didn't pay attention to how much it was during grand finals.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Saw this posted on reddit:

tumblr_n8uou1ldbE1s1h9bko1_r1_500.gif

Top Bottom