• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA: FoA |OT| F2P Now on Steam! Parade coming after HL3

Tempted to give this a try. I made a free "levelup" character a few months back but never got time to try the game really. Too bad its on the wrong server as gaf. Are you set in the class you choose? Or is there a way to switch jobs (like FF14?). Also, anyone got any recommendations for a fun dps class or any links to references?

Uthred

Tempted to give this a try. I made a free "levelup" character a few months back but never got time to try the game really. Too bad its on the wrong server as gaf. Are you set in the class you choose? Or is there a way to switch jobs (like FF14?). Also, anyone got any recommendations for a fun dps class or any links to references?

Yep youre set in your class, no job switching. I find all the DPS classes pretty fun, but some of them take a lot longer to get going then others (e.g. the Sorcerer in theory doesnt get going till lvl 48 iirc). I found Slayer was the most fun most quickly, Berserker is solid for solo play (though I'm not sure if thats an issue any more as they nerfed BAM's I believe?). Even then most classes dont "get going" till ~lvl 15-20, so if youre unsure of a class get them to 20 before dropping them. As that was a little unclear, my recommendation is Slayer.

NeOak

For classes read:
http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/classes

There is more
http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide

No, you can't change classes. But if you have a lv 40 in Tempest Reach, you can make a Reaper. They start at 50.

K.Sabot

I always make it to around level 40 and then fall off. Grind is too powerful and I lack the appropriate amount of podcasts to get me through it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Both are desirable. Each has their own strenghts. Choose whichever fits your play style.

I remember Mystic having buffs that other classes loved, but Priest having an easier time healing overall. This was ages ago though so things might've changed.

Uthred

I remember Mystic having buffs that other classes loved, but Priest having an easier time healing overall. This was ages ago though so things might've changed.

Been a while but I seem to recall mystics being a fucker to level unless you constantly grouped up

I checked:

It is because TERA Taiwan is supposed to cover a lot of Asia, along with KTERA for Korea and JTERA for Japan.

Heck, even Russia may get blocked since TERA RU started Closed Beta recently. Who knows.

Wow, they actually opened up a lot of region lock.
Thanks.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Decided to roll a Mystic and played for a little bit. Is it me or did they increase the XP rewards for the quests here because it feels like I'm leveling faster than usual. And I don't remember seeing these speed orbs drop from mobs before, not that I'm complaining because I certainly love getting from place to place as soon as possible. :lol

Decided to roll a Mystic and played for a little bit. Is it me or did they increase the XP rewards for the quests here because it feels like I'm leveling faster than usual. And I don't remember seeing these speed orbs drop from mobs before, not that I'm complaining because I certainly love getting from place to place as soon as possible. :lol

Yeah, they make levelling easier. Mystic starts to struggle a bit around the mid 40s. I recommend grouping for dungeons at that stage though :>

NeOak

Use the free elite code for the 3 days. You'll level even faster!

MogCakes

If there's one big advantage TERA's combat has over other MMOs it's that depending on your class you could solo dungeons. Solo-ing as a zerker was hella fun and challenging. It was the endless quests that destroyed the experience for me, but exploring the world (especially forests and areas that have a lot of climbing) and taking on BAMs solo was incredibly satisfying. I may jump back on my lv54 character one day.

NeOak

If there's one big advantage TERA's combat has over other MMOs it's that depending on your class you could solo dungeons. Solo-ing as a zerker was hella fun and challenging. It was the endless quests that destroyed the experience for me, but exploring the world (especially forests and areas that have a lot of climbing) and taking on BAMs solo was incredibly satisfying. I may jump back on my lv54 character one day.

BAMs were nerfed ;-;

Leveling now is way faster than it was back then. They streamlined it a lot. Give it a try.

Corgi

Banned
reinstalled using torrent this time.

still getting unable to dl manifest.

lovely

wait: clearing host file actually worked. Been ages where I had to dig this deep in system files for a game Oo.o

Some questions as someone who hasn't played since launch

EU:

-is it still as laggy as it was at launch now the game has a new publisher in EU?

-how much 'catching up' is there for not having played since then? as in will I be spending ages grinding shit or can I just get back into the content I enjoyed (the dungeons, now that they actually added some)

-did they ever fix the UI? It used to be a massive resource hog that literally halved framerate in cities, turning it off in main city = 50 fps, having it on = 25 fps

-is there any way to get to max level fast now? I have a max lvl char but a friend who bought the game never got to max level and he didn't like the grind to it so he never got to see how good the endgame dungeons were

-is world pvp while leveling any better now? The map design really killed it for me, there was a safezone within spitting distance of any point on any map.

Elfstruck

This game was on my radar while I was playing Aion back then, but the p2p killed it for me. I might try out this game this week since I have nothing to do anyway. Is the combat similar to Aion or its completely different?

Oh dear, 30gb download o,,o

Soloing Labyrinth of Terror as a Warrior was good times. I had full MW +12 Regent's gear (back in the day when it was good), wrecked those dudes so hard.

Corgi

Banned
How are Lancers in this? Usually play tanks in mmos but they look kind of slow. I bet they can solo stuff though, but training could be a pain if their dps is too low.

Merun

How are Lancers in this? Usually play tanks in mmos but they look kind of slow. I bet they can solo stuff though, but training could be a pain if their dps is too low.

I don't know if has changed, but lancers were top tier. For PVE, they have always been preferred to the hybrid DPS/tank class warrior. Lancer dished more damage than warrior, had more aggro skill, and their tanking relied on being static with shield instead of evasive, making it easier for the whole party.

For PVP, they have their chain and a number of stun, aside of being hard to kill, which make them beast.

Soloing Labyrinth of Terror as a Warrior was good times. I had full MW +12 Regent's gear (back in the day when it was good), wrecked those dudes so hard.
Ugh this is the one thing in jealous of, tbh. I main healers so I've never solo any dungeons.

:<

I used to solo BAMs but they were nerfed to oblivion so that was saaaaaaaaaad.

Re: Lancers are awesome class. I have little preference over lancers or warriors as tanks, though. They are both fun to party with &#128111;

After reading a bit I think I'm leaning either toward Berserker or Slayer. Will probably be playing solo for the most part and I think Berserker has better survivability solo?

Corgi

Banned
berserker was pretty fun when i played. Unlike your typical mmo toon, they really do only have a few main attacking skills. It's all about movement mastery to use them well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Alright, new PC is done. Going to download this again tonight...Hopefully my adorable Elin Lancer is still alive and well. :3

After reading a bit I think I'm leaning either toward Berserker or Slayer. Will probably be playing solo for the most part and I think Berserker has better survivability solo?

Zerkers can wreck high damages, and that block is pretty awesome. But they are heavy and slow. Their i-frame is also tricky and maneuvering them at higher levels can be a bit challenging, but they are definitely an awesome dps class &#9786;

Slayers are agile and their damages are pretty respectable, though not as high as zerkers. Their dodges and i-frames also make a slayer a pretty swift character to play.

I prefer zerkers to slayers to party with. Just cuz, personal experience, slayers tends to be cocky and lazy kind of players. Haha &#128518;

I've met really nice slayers too, really. But not many XD...

Zerkers can wreck high damages, and that block is pretty awesome. But they are heavy and slow. Their i-frame is also tricky and maneuvering them at higher levels can be a bit challenging, but they are definitely an awesome dps class &#9786;

Slayers are agile and their damages are pretty respectable, though not as high as zerkers. Their dodges and i-frames also make a slayer a pretty swift character to play.

I prefer zerkers to slayers to party with. Just cuz, personal experience, slayers tends to be cocky and lazy kind of players. Haha &#128518;

I've met really nice slayers too, really. But not many XD...

thanks for the input, I think I'll go zerker first just to learn the mechanics and stuff first, then maybe try slayer as an alt eventually?

yaffi

Now I remember one problem I had with the interface: either everything is huge or the font is so small I can't read anything.

thanks for the input, I think I'll go zerker first just to learn the mechanics and stuff first, then maybe try slayer as an alt eventually?

They have a very different play-styles so you can't go wrong with going either first.

But if we are just talking about the mechanics, zerkers' play style does not really translate to Slayers easily. Warrior to Slayer (or vice versa) is closer.

Learning how to play Zerker well is harder than learning Slayer. You gotta be patient and you need to know what kind of Zerker you are. Glyph your skills accordingly. Zerkers tend to be more MP hungry than Slayers but I've met a few Zerkers who can manage their MP well.

I really like the backstab/dodge movements of Slayers, though ^____^

Zerkers are heavy armour and I love the heavy armour designs better than leather :>

Both are awesome dps classes :> And you need to learn how to adapt when you are playing in a group. Having a tank and healer means you can lean a bit more on the party and a great zerker knows how to maximize the fuck out of his damage output at the higher levels (when in party). Mystic has MP and Crit boost, but Priest has damage boost.

Soloing playstyle vs. Group playstyle is an interesting dynamic in TERA, imho ^____^

Hope you enjoy your Zerker! It's a very fun class to play. CYCLOOOOONEEEEE~

But I heard Zerkers experience a lot of dodging issues at higher levels. And PVP is sad for Zerkers. huhuhu .____.

Yay, it looks like En Masse are letting me reset my password.

Passwords aren't fun. :/
They say to think of new passwords every few months, and to use different passwords for different websites. But then things like this happen to me all the time...

Guess it's time to dust off my Elin Berserker and wreck some stuff once more.
Oh yay, I'm an Elin Berserker, too.

Well, I have a lancer, too. But I main a Berserker. It is a little harder for some things. Like jumping out on a dangerous area. But Berserkers are really great DPSs that make you feel really strong. You can do really amazing damage when you do a critical hit.

Kansoku

Now I remember one problem I had with the interface: either everything is huge or the font is so small I can't read anything.

There's a fix for the small font:
Navigate to the TERA\Client\S1Game\Localization\USA folder.

Rename the GFxUI into something else.

Going up one folder and enter the INT folder.

Copy both files from there and paste them into the USA folder. (Or EUR, depending on your version)

Rename the ExampleGame.int and GFxUI.int into ExampleGame.usa and GFxUI.usa, respectively.
From here.

i7kQDjHYmQn0L.png
i hope i can make it to other areas and see the christmas stuff. i don't think i even made it to one season when it launched lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
2h left! *zzz*

I can choose to wait to use the Elite Bonus, right?

Also, I am already thinking of buying some the Elin costumes. <3

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
they give you an elite bar to use some of the stuff.

Alright - the reason I ask is because my wife and I are going to Chicago this weekend to visit family for the Christmas season. I don't want to use up my bonus if I won't be home to use it!

Alright - the reason I ask is because my wife and I are going to Chicago this weekend to visit family for the Christmas season. I don't want to use up my bonus if I won't be home to use it!

oh. then i don't think there are any timed stuff unless you activate it yourself.\

EDIT: WANT TO SPEND MONEY ON THE PERMANENT FROSTY MOUNT.

Top Bottom