• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabka

That reminds me... When they say Rodrik "has to pay the iron price," is that phrase being used the right way? I only recall it meaning to take by force, but I might be wrong. It definitely stuck out to me though.

I guess you could say spitting on Prince Theon bought him a beheading.

gutshot

Ratings have been crazy steady. Has GoT reached a plateau?

I think the initial viewer number will climb to a little over 4m by season's end. But we won't know for sure if it's reached a ceiling until next season's premiere. If the S3 premiere only gets around 4m viewers, then yes, I would say it has plateaued.

Of course, when the plateau is at the level of the second-most watched show on the network currently and the third-most of all-time, that's not a bad place to plateau.

Ratings have been crazy steady. Has GoT reached a plateau?
I'd assume we'll see a little bit of a bump towards the end of the season, like usual, but the penultimate episode of this season is on Memorial Day weekend, so those numbers might be lower than if it was on a non-holiday weekend. It'd be interesting to compare the cumulative weekly numbers (both first broadcast + reruns and the broadcast + reruns + HBO Go + on demand), but I don't know if anyone has those available for each episode.
I think the initial viewer number will climb to a little over 4m by season's end. But we won't know for sure if it's reached a ceiling until next season's premiere.
Good point.

Big-E

First episode in both seasons I have been disappointed with. There were a lot of good stuff in here but something just felt really off. I liked how Theon was portrayed up until this point but really hated him entering Bran's chamber. He sounded so fucking stupid explaining to Bran. Can't really put my finger on it. Killing Rodrick pisses me off as it put the nail in the coffin to the Reek betrayal but Cassel went out like a boss. The riot scene was another scene that felt really weird. Some of the extras were really fucking bad and the body getting ripped apart was almost comical. Tyrion saves it though. I think jett mentioned it earlier but making Robb's love interest be from Volantis makes no fucking sense to me at all. Jaquen killing right at the last minute was also a little stupid.

Still, the worst part is Qarth. Weakest parts in the book are Dany's parts at least up untill SOS where (SOS Spoilers
Selmy and Belwas come into play
. Where the fuck was Mormont in this episode?

scosher

First episode in both seasons I have been disappointed with. There were a lot of good stuff in here but something just felt really off. I liked how Theon was portrayed up until this point but really hated him entering Bran's chamber. He sounded so fucking stupid explaining to Bran. Can't really put my finger on it. Killing Rodrick pisses me off as it put the nail in the coffin to the Reek betrayal but Cassel went out like a boss. The riot scene was another scene that felt really weird. Some of the extras were really fucking bad and the body getting ripped apart was almost comical. Tyrion saves it though. I think jett mentioned it earlier but making Robb's love interest be from Volantis makes no fucking sense to me at all. Jaquen killing right at the last minute was also a little stupid.

Still, the worst part is Qarth. Weakest parts in the book are Dany's parts at least up untill SOS where (SOS Spoilers
Selmy and Belwas come into play
. Where the fuck was Mormont in this episode?

Strange. Cause after rewatching, this may be my favorite episode in the entire series. Thought it did not miss a beat at all for the entire hour.

Talon

I thought the Theon and Bran exchange was pretty much how I expected. It's fitting that he's not taken seriously, and he has to explain himself over and over again.

And, of course, shit takes a turn for the worst.

A shame about Cassel though. The Reek scene would've been fantastic.

frequency

That's because he went from running a South-England accent in the first series to a kind of Welsh accent in the second.

As a Welsh accent it's not too bad. It's just odd that they made that decision after a whole series of doing South-English.

Hmm... maybe. I remember it being not as bad in the first season. It's in this one that bothers me.

the body getting ripped apart was almost comical.

That was really bad. It was like a really low budget zombie scene. I'm usually pretty queasy at violence, but that part even made me laugh at how ridiculous it was.

Still, the worst part is Qarth. Weakest parts in the book are Dany's parts

I never liked her POV. In the books, it was just boring though. Here, it's getting to be intrusive and annoying. That screen time could be way better spent elsewhere. Although I am totally biased about it. I am not at all looking forward to this stupid stolen dragon arc.

Strange. Cause after rewatching, this may be my favorite episode in the entire series. Thought it did not miss a beat at all for the entire hour.

I think it was one of the weaker episodes, for the reasons mentioned. The last minute Jaquen killing was a little over the top (and how the hell is that going to not be explained/investigated?), the mob scene (the beginning and end to this were good, though, I liked them slowly heckling Joffrey), and snoozefest Qarth.

I don't know if it's the director or director of photography, but I feel like the action sequences have gotten worse, back to Season One levels.

I never liked her POV. In the books, it was just boring though. Here, it's getting to be intrusive and annoying. That screen time could be way better spent elsewhere. Although I am totally biased about it. I am not at all looking forward to this stupid stolen dragon arc.

She's also more annoying now that she's 100% less naked, but if they do the ACOK
House of the Undying justice it will be worth it.

[Storm of Swords]
It'll be interesting to see how the show handles Robb beheading Karstark when they get there. I think they've casted Karstark for this season so I wonder if they move that up in the show?

I'm surprised we haven't seen him yet. ACOK
Based on that and what he has left to do, I assume (hope) we'll see quite a bit of Robb in the last four episodes of this season.

I think Theon in the show at this point is far more sympathetic than he is in the books. Probably because in the books we know all of the characters' internal thoughts and Theon really comes across as a dick in the books as I recall, even more than the show. Plus the show really tried to emphasize his relationship with Robb which I don't think is played up as much in the books.

Agreed.

- WiC.net with Curtain Call: Ron Donachie
ctX6G.jpg
:(

WiC.net said:
Interesting sidenote: although the Cassel family is gone from the show, the Donachie family lives on as Daniel Portman, aka Podrik Payne, is Ron Donachie’s son.

His beard
?
will be missed.
Yeah, I don't know how to classify that.
When is Podrick coming into the picture?
[ACoK]
They have to give him at least a little bit of screen time before Blackwater, no? I figure we'll see him a couple of times before that all goes down.
A Curtain Call feature could actually be a weekly article for a show like this, eh? Hahahahha.
I'm probably a bit off with this rough count, but on the WiC.net S1 cast page, I see about 26 of the 90 named characters are either dead, missing, or off the show at this point. Pretty high mortality rate, though there are a bunch (Hugh of the Vale, Waymar Royce, etc...) that show up and almost immediately get killed. Oh, and I guess Jon Arryn appears as a corpse, so he probably shouldn't count. :p

UraMallas

Ha- thats awesome that Pod is his son! Shame Pod has had one blink and you miss it scene thus far.

When? I blinked, it would seem.

[ACoK]
They have to give him at least a little bit of screen time before Blackwater, no? I figure we'll see him a couple of times before that all goes down.

[ACoK]
That's what I figured as well. They can't just have him pop up out of nowhere for his Blackwater scene.

Speevy

Banned
I'm curious about something.

How do ravens work in the Game of Thrones universe?

I know they're used to send messages to faraway places, but what is the logic behind it? Are these animals trained? Do they originate from the places where they're traveling? Are they different from the birds in our world?

gutshot

I know they're used to send messages to faraway places, but what is the logic behind it? Are these animals trained? Do they originate from the places where they're traveling? Are they different from the birds in our world?

I don't think GRRM ever goes into the details of the raven network, but my impression is that each raven is trained to travel back-and-forth between two castles. The maesters at each castle are in charge of training and maintaining their group of ravens and handling the sending of messages. No, they aren't any different than the birds in our world.

The latest TWOW sample chapter provided the only full explanation for how the raven system works. I'm at work and can't look it up now though, will do so later

gutshot

The latest TWOW sample chapter provided the only full explanation for how the raven system works. I'm at work and can't look it up now though, will do so later

Ah yes. That is where I read about the "each raven can fly to only one castle" rule. Well, most anyway.

Here is the relevant passage (with character names removed so as to be spoiler-free):

"A maester's raven flies to one place, and one place only. Is that correct?"

The maester mopped sweat from his brow with his sleeve. "N-not entirely, Your Grace. Most, yes. Some few can be taught to fly between two castles. Such birds are greatly prized. And once in a very great while, we find a raven who can learn the names of three or four or five castles, and fly to each upon command. Birds as clever as that come along only once in a hundred years."

UraMallas

That passage is most likely completely inconsequential but, damn it, I want that book so much now just because I read that little piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom