• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is obviously no
chain trap, or Tyrion would have ordered the rings by now.
So no chain towers=no Bronn being away. It'll be him that saves Tyrion.
Bromance continues.
Poderick will probably be killed off, the cast is too big already with more characters still coming in.

In one of the interviews the guy that plays Poderick
said he does something really shocking (paraphrasing) in one of the later episodes. Still think Poderick is going to be doing stuff.

Plus I just want to see the scene where Tyrion tells the metal workers to make chains or wear them.

There is obviously no
chain trap, or Tyrion would have ordered the rings by now.
So no chain towers=no Bronn being away. It'll be him that saves Tyrion.
Bromance continues.
Poderick will probably be killed off, the cast is too big already with more characters still coming in.

ACOK
Why would they have cast Podrick if he wasn't going to basically play the part in the book?

I assume we'll get the chains next episode.

UraMallas

ACOK
Why would they have cast Podrick if he wasn't going to basically play the part in the book?

I assume we'll get the chains next episode.

ACOK
I was thinking the same thing with the chains. If Pod is in the series I would hope he'd play the role he did in the book. They will definitely have to start talking chains this next episode if they want to make sense of Pod doing his job and conveying it to the audience with some gravity.

Heh, yet another Game of Thrones shout out on Parks and Recreation tonight.
April and Andy had "Winterfell" listed as one of their possible locations to live.

I'm going to be out of town for about a week, and I probably won't have a chance to post links and whatnot until I get back. Enjoy the episode on Sunday.

Heh, yet another Game of Thrones shout out on Parks and Recreation tonight.
April and Andy had "Winterfell" listed as one of their possible locations to live.

I'm going to be out of town for about a week, and I probably won't have a chance to post links and whatnot until I get back. Enjoy the episode on Sunday.
How will we live though. Anarchy and chaos will reign.

bengraven

This episode was really love or hate it, wasn't it?

I mean, sure, I've heard quite a few "it's okay" but the majority are either saying "it was the weakest/more boring episode" or "it was one of the best episodes ever".

Personally it was my favorite episode of the series so far.

Persona7

Banned
about Game of Thrones being the most pirated show....dunno about that, it depends largely on your definition of "pirated".

I pay for HBO, I subscribe specifically for this show.
I've paid for it. I'll download them instead of pulling it off my DVR just because it's easier.
Does that make me a pirate? I already paid for them, and it's not like I'm pulling the DVD stuff (which I'll buy anyway) just the DVR stuff, which I already have. If you remove people like me from that "pirate" pool, which I'd argue you should, I'm sure it'll still be the most pirated show of 2012 but not by so much.

If they pulled your IP address from a p2p connection and filed a lawsuit you would still be held liable.

Emwitus

The acting in the last episode was atrocious. Espcially from that guy who took over winterfell(sorry, i suck at the names) And even the king's hand's acting was horrible.

ronito

If they pulled your IP address from a p2p connection and filed a lawsuit you would still be held liable.

Yeah but a good lawyer would put up a hell of a fight. A fight he might win.

edit:
Also do you think they're gonna make us wait forever for the DVDs again? That just seemed an inordinately long amount of time to wait.

Persona7

Banned
Yeah but a good lawyer would put up a hell of a fight. A fight he might win.

edit:
Also do you think they're gonna make us wait forever for the DVDs again? That just seemed an inordinately long amount of time to wait.

Yup. I was just trying to point out that you could be held liable regardless of your subscription status.

As for the last episode, not enough Brienne.

I found Allen's screaming in the Winterfell scenes rather unconvincing, but it's more because he doesn't have a strong voice. Overall the performances were fine. If anything the writing was bad. "I've taken your castle. My men had ropes and grappling hooks and we took it" ehh. That mixed with Bran's odd initial reaction to it all...it was just a weird sequence from a writing perspective.

That was a problem throughout the episode though, from Robb's teenage dialogue with "Talisa" to Dany's "my dreams come true!" rant. I guess I'm just not a fan of Vanessa Taylor, or the way David Nutter directed much of the episode.

The acting in the last episode was atrocious. Espcially from that guy who took over winterfell(sorry, i suck at the names) And even the king's hand's acting was horrible.

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

I found Allen's screaming in the Winterfell scenes rather unconvincing, but it's more because he doesn't have a strong voice. Overall the performances were fine. If anything the writing was bad. "I've taken your castle. My men had ropes and grappling hooks and we took it" ehh. That mixed with Bran's odd initial reaction to it all...it was just a weird sequence from a writing perspective.

That was a problem throughout the episode though, from Robb's teenage dialogue with "Talisa" to Dany's "my dreams come true!" rant. I guess I'm just not a fan of Vanessa Taylor, or the way David Nutter directed much of the episode.

I will agree on Allen not having a really strong voice, everything else makes up for it though. Good actor.

The Vanessa Taylor episodes are interesting. I don't like some of her writing as well, but I think just due to the episodes that she got to write (the events that were in them), they are probably my two favorite episodes of the season so far despite being probably the worst written episodes, if that makes any sense.

I don't know if it was Taylor's writing, the director (David Petrarca), or the editing, or a combination of all three, but the opening to Garden of Bones with Robb was awful. There are tons of ways you can not show the battle and not shoot it like that. You have two great shots of Robb (the focus on the horse which switches to his face and the side shot where his spurns his horse to attack) and they show each shot for a bizarrely short period of time before cutting to an ultra-long black screen. There are so many simple ways that could have been a hundred times better. I guess that also ties into what is really my main complaint about this season (well lack of Robb is the real complaint), but all the directors outside of Alan Taylor (whose directing should set the standard for how directors shoot the show) move through screens really fast. I feel it has been a recurring theme this season, where I find myself thinking that everything in a scene should just slow down a bit, and it would feel both more natural and dramatic.

These are, of course, nitpick complaints. I have loved this season.

Those saying the acting was bad are on motherfuckin crack I'll tell you. This is damn fine acting, as always. The only one I think is bad is the black dude at Quarth. Alfie Allen is quite fantastic, this little cunt :D

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I personally think Peter Dinklage's acting is atrociously bad and getting even worse.

the upwards inflection he does at the end of every sentence makes it sound like he's constantly asking a question.

Well, as I suspected, there are indeed some smoking crack here or doing it on purpose. Damn, get another hobby, you obviously suck at judging actors in movies or tv shows, seriously.

People often mistake characters having traits and behaviours they don't like as bad acting. I don't know how else you would come to that conclusion.

Objectively, Theon and Tyrion are acted amazingly well.

Arment

I would not describe anything Dinklage does as "ham fisted". The guy can act. The only complaint I can accept, mainly because I don't pay attention to it or notice it, is from some who say his accent is off.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Actually, I'm Australian so I'm used to upward inflections and zone them out, however, Dinklage's acting is so over the top and ham fisted that I can't help but notice it.

I thought there was something weird about some actors' intonation.

This is all very puzzling to a foreigner like myself. I'd like to take on acting (as a hobby) in English soon, but stuff like Game of Thrones is both a blessing (because the language is very standard and clear) and a curse (because of all the accents and weird inflections).

I fear my accent is gonna end up all weird because we foreigners usually have no natural feel for how the language is supposed to sound and what kind of intonation you're supposed to give any given sentence.

Ugh.

Big-E

I personally think Peter Dinklage's acting is atrociously bad and getting even worse.

the upwards inflection he does at the end of every sentence makes it sound like he's constantly asking a question.

The only time I think that Dinklage has been a bit over the top was at the beginning of his exchange with Joffery just as they get to safety. He seems like the situation is so dire but the problem is the riot was just atrocious due to shitty extras and the stupid body parts getting ripped apart.

gutshot

Really? I thought the writing and acting for the whole Winterfell takeover was fantastic. That line sounded exactly like something Theon would say (plus it is, more or less, pulled directly from the book). Yeah, it sounded ridiculous and overly explanatory, but I took it as Theon once again inflating his own sense of importance.

And then Bran's response to it is just perfect, "Why?"

The whole scene had an air of ridiculousness to it, but I thought it was intentional. In Theon's head, he has pulled off a master stroke, claiming the seat of the Starks. And I think his words and his demeanor reflect that he is desperately trying to impress upon everyone else the importance of what he has just done. Yet to everyone else, including us, the whole thing is ridiculous and pathetic and stupid. He has taken a castle, that he has no hope of holding once a real Northern army arrives, from a crippled kid and bunch of old servants.

ezrarh

Well said Gutshot. Favorite scene in that episode. I thought Theon's weak and pathetic screaming was the point, culminating with his botched execution.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really, really like Dinklage's upward inflection and general style. He's the only actor on the show that convincing delivers the lines he's given, everyone else often sounds like they're in a bad Shakespeare production. They know their lines and probably generally understand their literal meaning, but they don't understand the context or general thought process that would actually make a person speak that way.

He just seemed like he was cold. Not like, I'm acting cold, as in "I'm super uncomfortable right now and can barely remember my lines".

I'm not sure if it would have actually been cold on set.

Talon

I found that to be the point, though. Theon is a pansy that's unsure of what he's doing, and nobody takes him seriously. Hence, Cassel.

frequency

This episode was really love or hate it, wasn't it?

I mean, sure, I've heard quite a few "it's okay" but the majority are either saying "it was the weakest/more boring episode" or "it was one of the best episodes ever".

Personally it was my favorite episode of the series so far.

Maybe a lot of the people who dislike it are bothered by how much the episode "made up" and deviated from the books.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Maybe a lot of the people who dislike it are bothered by how much the episode "made up" and deviated from the books.

Personally, having read ACOK, I don't mind most of the changes at all, and absolutely love some of them. Arya and Tywin was a brilliant idea that has been brilliantly executed so far.

BUT... The scope of the story is starting to catch up with the narrow format. So many things happen so fast in the latest episodes that I can see how some would paradoxically find it somewhat boring or "empty". Having watched the first series religiously and read ACOK just before watching season 2 I can follow all the events without any problem, but I wonder if casual viewers aren't overwhelmed at this point. Theon's descent for instance is very believable and everything that has to be in is in, but at the same time it still happens very fast.

There was an article about Rodrik Cassel's death a few posts ago celebrating the character and the actor, but Rodrik does barely anything on the show, and as such I didn't feel much for the character when he was beheaded or all the characters crying for him. I assume we know more about him reading AGOT, which I haven't yet.

Why? I thought Sansa's attempted rape was lame as hell but not because it wasn't in the books.

Why would you expect the show to hew so close after the show repeatedly affirming itself as its own entity?

Serious question, do people just want a 48 season series where someone reads the book out loud and the actions are portrayed behind the reader in TinTin style CG?

bengraven

I don't think many people really wanted it to be a 1:1 adaptation, especially since they're trying to do over a thousand pages of story in just ten episodes.

But if they did and are upset by the changes made to ease the story along or amplify the drama, I have nothing but respect for them. They're entitled to that.

Personally I liked the changes. Rodrik killed off-camera while Theon is forced to kill a tertiary character isn't as satisfying as Theon killing Rodrik. It was more dramatic - it also felt more like Theon lost his humanity. Killing an unpopular character still kept him some supporters who wanted him to work out in the end. I don't think anyone sides with him now.

gutshot

Personally I liked the changes. Rodrik killed off-camera while Theon is forced to kill a tertiary character isn't as satisfying as Theon killing Rodrik. It was more dramatic - it also felt more like Theon lost his humanity. Killing an unpopular character still kept him some supporters who wanted him to work out in the end. I don't think anyone sides with him now.

(ACOK spoilers)
It will also fool the audience into believing Theon could actually kill Bran and Rickon in the next episode. Whether David & Dan are cruel enough to draw out their "deaths" over just part of the episode or wait until next week to finally reveal that Bran and Rickon are still alive, remains to be seen. But I'm guessing a lot of people will think they are truly dead prior to that reveal.

Lothar

Banned
(ACOK spoilers)
It will also fool the audience into believing Theon could actually kill Bran and Rickon in the next episode. Whether David & Dan are cruel enough to draw out their "deaths" over just part of the episode or wait until next week to finally reveal that Bran and Rickon are still alive, remains to be seen. But I'm guessing a lot of people will think they are truly dead prior to that reveal.

They may just wait until the final episode to do the reveal. In the books, it happened in the final chapter, although it was hinted about in Theon's thoughts irc. It's going to be awfully hard watching the show with people who didn't read the books to not tell them the truth.

CrankyJay

Banned
They may just wait until the final episode to do the reveal. In the books, it happened in the final chapter, although it was hinted about in Theon's thoughts irc. It's going to be awfully hard watching the show with people who didn't read the books to not tell them the truth.

I'd imagine a bunch of more people threatening to quit the show

"Killing children?! That's inconceivable!"

gutshot

That would be some epic trolling.

bengraven

(ACOK spoilers)

Right. (cok)
To be honest, once the shock wore off of that twist I quickly remembered the other two boys and realized it was a hoax. Especially since Theon has a few throwaway lines about them not looking like Bran and Rickon.

Since we can't see inside his head, we don't know he's lying or regretful. We remember Rodrik's death and we think he's capable of anything now.

And despite it being trolling, I've been saying for a while that one of the last scenes will be the reveal that Bran and Rickon are in fact quite alive.

I would say Litterfinger is the most engaging character this season. Amazing scene between him, Arrya and Tywin.

Yeah, I like his performance a lot more this season. Last season...I don't know, I've actually always loved the actor since The Wire, but he sounded stilted at times and a little too conniving (I get that's his character...but can't really describe it).

In season 2, he feels a lot more defined and subtle in his schemes. Still can't figure out his accent, but sometimes I like the "weirdness" of it.

Why? I thought Sansa's attempted rape was lame as hell but not because it wasn't in the books.

Why would you expect the show to hew so close after the show repeatedly affirming itself as its own entity?

Serious question, do people just want a 48 season series where someone reads the book out loud and the actions are portrayed behind the reader in TinTin style CG?

Probably, which is why none of them work on these shows or have in creative input. It would be a mess.

Yeah, littlefinger can teleport. Thats awesome.

Edit: He was amazing last season. The scenes between him and Varys are legendary.

I did like his Varys scenes. He just seems more comfortable in his role/character this season.

To be fair, Varys is so entertaining to watch, he kinda elevates all his scenes. He IS Varys.

I wish they did more with his awesome disguises in the show, though.

He matched Varys completely in those scenes, though.
(paraphrasing)

"I've seen you even more recently than you've seen me.

"Have you"

"Yes"

I've been listening the LotR soundtrack today at work and I keep imaging how incredible it would be if Howard Shore composed some music for Game of Thrones. Anyone else with me?

frequency

Personally, having read ACOK, I don't mind most of the changes at all, and absolutely love some of them. Arya and Tywin was a brilliant idea that has been brilliantly executed so far.

BUT... The scope of the story is starting to catch up with the narrow format. So many things happen so fast in the latest episodes that I can see how some would paradoxically find it somewhat boring or "empty". Having watched the first series religiously and read ACOK just before watching season 2 I can follow all the events without any problem, but I wonder if casual viewers aren't overwhelmed at this point. Theon's descent for instance is very believable and everything that has to be in is in, but at the same time it still happens very fast.

There was an article about Rodrik Cassel's death a few posts ago celebrating the character and the actor, but Rodrik does barely anything on the show, and as such I didn't feel much for the character when he was beheaded or all the characters crying for him. I assume we know more about him reading AGOT, which I haven't yet.

I don't think many people really wanted it to be a 1:1 adaptation, especially since they're trying to do over a thousand pages of story in just ten episodes.

But if they did and are upset by the changes made to ease the story along or amplify the drama, I have nothing but respect for them. They're entitled to that.

I don't mind the changes at all.
I don't even remember much from the books.

It's been over five years since I read them (still waiting for ADWD MMP). So most of the time, I can't even tell if things are changed.

I've just seen some people be negative about all the changes.

I also think it's a good point that too much is happening to too many characters for a casual viewer to follow. I read the books (even if it was a long time ago) and even I get lost sometimes. And yes... some people dying and stuff probably doesn't mean much to non-readers because these characters get all of five minutes on screen and never really do anything.

I didn't like this last episode as much because I dislike Dany and there was that silly zombie-esque scene and what they did with Osha. The Sansa near-rape was also horrific and I hated it (but I think I'm supposed to hate it).
Jon Snow stuff was fun though. I love Jon.

Majmun

I've been listening the LotR soundtrack today at work and I keep imaging how incredible it would be if Howard Shore composed some music for Game of Thrones. Anyone else with me?

Yeah.

As much as I like the show, the OST hasn't really been that memorable IMO. I even think the opening track is just OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom