• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broad City Season 3 |OT| The Match of the Century

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Leave it to Broad City to make Hillary Clinton likeable.

The DMV story was the strongest of the two though.

Epcott

Loved the episode, wasn't crazy about Hillary. What the fuck was she wearing? It was like she was wearing a sleeping bag, and her expression was weird as fuck.

I'd tip Ilana. It's something you don't see on the subway train plus I wouldn't be afraid of her hitting me by accident due to some cartwheel or some shit.

SiDCrAzY

Just saw this show for the first time due to Playstation Vue, really love the show. Well at least this one episode. Looking forward to more.

Just saw this show for the first time due to Playstation Vue, really love the show. Well at least this one episode. Looking forward to more.

Well if you can, catch up on the episodes before this. Much stronger and more hilarious. Also if you can get a trial subscription to Hulu, you should definitely check out the past seasons. So effin' good.

As far as this one goes, it was cool but again like last week's, not as great as the first few of the season. I liked the DMV story a lot more. Always an effin' nightmare, that place.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Lot of big names tonight. Alan Alda, Cynthia Nixon, Kirk Steele lol love the continuity.

The DMV part was good. The poor lady knitting her own body bag lmao.

And that damn bee following Abbi around! The nerve.

God I love these gals. Most recently the Salad Fingers bit killed me, but it's just amazing all around. I've never had a show made me utterly shocked in every damn episode, it's impressive. They're the best <3

TheOddOne

animation1fnukx.gif

animation2f7upu.gif

I guess everyone's loving it, but I just saw the co-op episode and it's the worst episode of the show so far. They're hitting the point where Ilana and Abbia are becoming wacky caricatures of themselves. Abbi used to be believably awkward, now she's tweeking on a wall because... well because making a huge mess with your ass is funny, the reasoning behind that is ridiculous. Ilana was always sexual, but did she ever endanger lives by demanding to be fingered by the driver of a moving vehicle?

I love the first two seasons but this was the first time it ever felt like the show was going out of its way to be funny. Hope it picks up, and I still need to go back and watch the episode I missed, but the second was disappointing.

Viewt

Great episode, and luckily they did a lot of the comedic heavy lifting for Hillary. Hell, the best joke about her was before she even showed up, when Cynthia Nixon talked about how she's not going to enforce male pregnancy, and that yes, she can read a map.

Also, hey there, Alan Alda! Wasn't expecting to see him show up.

Oh, and good to see that Kirk Steel is still a man on a mission - a cum mission.

Leunam

I'll stick through it to the end but so far most of these episodes have been weak this season compared to the first two.

When Hillary showed up I was convinced she was greenscreened in or something because she looked completely detached from the scene. Not sure how else to explain it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'll stick through it to the end but so far most of these episodes have been weak this season compared to the first two.

When Hillary showed up I was convinced she was greenscreened in or something because she looked completely detached from the scene. Not sure how else to explain it.

It was probably just a clone.

I guess everyone's loving it, but I just saw the co-op episode and it's the worst episode of the show so far. They're hitting the point where Ilana and Abbia are becoming wacky caricatures of themselves. Abbi used to be believably awkward, now she's tweeking on a wall because... well because making a huge mess with your ass is funny, the reasoning behind that is ridiculous. Ilana was always sexual, but did she ever endanger lives by demanding to be fingered by the driver of a moving vehicle?

I love the first two seasons but this was the first time it ever felt like the show was going out of its way to be funny. Hope it picks up, and I still need to go back and watch the episode I missed, but the second was disappointing.

Driving while fingering someone isn't that ridiculous or weird.

dcdobson

Dude, in the very first episode, Abbi and Ilana videochat while Ilana is having sex. This show's always been over the top.

Lijik

She was pretending to Ilana in that episode, and that was a callback to when Illana did the same thing when she was excited in the season 2 episode that Abbi was going to peg Jeremy.

Dereck

I figured that someone would bring up Flanderization eventually. I don't know what to say about it really. I've seen this happen on many other shows with certain characters, the only difference is that when I see it, it usually happens a little later on in the show (around the 5th season or so).

Based on season 2 I don't think Ilana has seen Flanderization just because of how ridiculous she was in that season also.

She was pretending to Ilana in that episode, and that was a callback to when Illana did the same thing when she was excited in the season 2 episode that Abbi was going to peg Jeremy.

I don't remember that going for a whole episode and involving Ilana ruining her chances at meeting someone for no reason, but I could be remembering wrong.

I know the show has always been over the top, but like I said it just seemed like this episode was trying too hard.

Dude, in the very first episode, Abbi and Ilana videochat while Ilana is having sex. This show's always been over the top.

The difference to me is that that seems like a small stretch. I could see someone watching that, turning to a friend and saying "Oh my god, I could totally see you doing that." Most of the gags in the episode I was talking about, not so much. It's stopped being an exaggerated version of situations you can relate to and started being a cartoon.

Is jumping into the driver's lap and demanding to be swaddled normal? Maybe I'm just boring to women when I drive.

Lijik

I don't remember that going for a whole episode and involving Ilana ruining her chances at meeting someone for no reason, but I could be remembering wrong.

??????? did we watch the same episode? she keeps the act up right until the end of the ep and when she drops it the dude rats her and ilana out and they get banned from the co-op

abbi fucks it up because the episode's main joke is shes awful with her ilana impression

??????? did we watch the same episode? she keeps the act up right until the end of the ep and when she drops it the dude rats her and ilana out and they get banned from the co-op

abbi fucks it up because the episode's main joke is shes awful with her ilana impression

Edit: Oh wait, I misunderstood your post, I thought you meant it was a callback to a prior joke where Ilana impersonated Abbi. You're saying the twerking was a callback to the pegging episode.

I got that, like I said it just a little too far across the line into being cartoonishly wacky. It reminds me of the American Office, for the first couple seasons Steve Carrell's character is clueless, but his character is still grounded enough that most people can relate to working with a boss who tries too hard to endear himself with his staff like that. But by the fourth season (I think) he's stupid enough to drive a car into a lake because his car's navigation told him to. I'm getting the same vibe from Broad City, its characters used to feel like minor exaggerations of actual people and its situations felt real. They were trying to get to a wedding, entertain themselves during a power outage, etc. A lot of this episode just seemed absurd.

I will go to my grave reckoning somebody on staff is at least a pre-time skip One Piece fan due to that surreal ending sequence with Clinton---it is absolutely uncanny for that one instance.

Great episode though, lost it at the masturbating tent guy at the DMV.

Lijik

Edit: Oh wait, I misunderstood your post, I thought you meant it was a callback to a prior joke where Ilana impersonated Abbi. You're saying the twerking was a callback to the pegging episode.

I got that, like I said it just a little too far across the line into being cartoonishly wacky. It reminds me of the American Office, for the first couple seasons Steve Carrell's character is clueless, but his character is still grounded enough that most people can relate to working with a boss who tries too hard to endear himself with his staff like that. But by the fourth season (I think) he's stupid enough to drive a car into a lake because his car's navigation told him to. I'm getting the same vibe from Broad City, its characters used to feel like minor exaggerations of actual people and its situations felt real. They were trying to get to a wedding, entertain themselves during a power outage, etc. A lot of this episode just seemed absurd.

Its kind of funny because I was thinking about your post later and that was the same example I came up with for what I didnt think was happening. Im with you that the episode wasnt as entertaining as the others, but I think it was in line with the world the show set up. Its always had a cartoony bent. I think in this case just how cartoonish the coop actually was didnt happen till the end so it potentially hurt how the earlier parts of the episode were read.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
No, he shouldn't.
Both Abbi and Ilana are pretty hardcore Hillary supporters, so that won't happen.
Bernies campaign is effectively dead and over. A bit too late for a Bernie episode.
Won't happen they are huge fans of Hillary.
Considering Hillary's strong showing this week, I'd say this episode was pretty damn timely.

alana-regretczpt7.gif

I am not a huge Hillary fan but I thought this was pretty funny. The show incorporated her in a clever way, so it wasn't as jarring as I thought it would be.

This season has been really incredible so far. I think the co-op episode was the weakest, and even that was thoroughly entertaining.

Quick

Banned
Caught up with the last two episodes.

The cold openings for each episode has been great so far.

Good to see Jaime hasn't been shoved to the side completely. The Grindr bit in the end got me - "I've gone too far!"

The Hillary stuff was relatively inoffensive, and Hillary Clinton actually showing up in the end was neat. Obviously, it's an endorsement for her campaign, but it wasn't that on the nose within the confines of the show. She shows up, says something about voting and awareness, brings in one of those Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man Woman, and calls it a day.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Philadelphia

A trip to Philadelphia to visit Abbi's childhood home turns into a mission of redemption when Abbi finally recognizes the big mistake she made in high school.

3phemeral

I loved the little special fx they added when they switched to Hillary winking.

QlJmvo

The subtle force wave that emanates from her wink.

QkA1MQ

And the exploding spotlights in the background.

4qonmt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom