• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erick Erickson's a little salty @ redstate

As President of the United States, Barack Obama wants us to know he killed Osama Bin Laden. The SEALs? Pfffffftttt . . . nope. Barack Obama did it. If you don’t believe him, wait till the campaign commercials tell you. Don’t believe them? Well, just in time for the election, Hollywood will provide us with an in-kind contribution of a propaganda film.

True, the President did give the order and he should be commended, as should the SEALs. And it is fair game for him to want to campaign on killing Osama Bin Laden in the same way George H. W. Bush campaigned as a war hero in 1992.

In 1992, Bill Clinton would commend George H. W. Bush on the campaign trail and lament that he just wished President Bush was as successful getting Americans back to work as he had been getting Iraq out of Kuwait.

This morning, my dad called and pointed out that Barack Obama may just be the most successful killer to ever take up residence in the White House — more successful even than the 19th Century vampire slayer who first led the Republican Party into the White House. In fact, consider the serial killing spree Barack Obama has been on:
Osama Bin Laden
Our credit rating
The coal industry
The oil and natural gas industry
The healthcare sector
Job creation
Economic growth
Small businesses
Our relationship with Israel
Our relationship with Great Britain

The list goes on and on. Truly, Barack Obama is a killing machine. Well done, Mr. President! I look forward to the GOP highlighting everything else you’ve killed besides Osama on the campaign trail.

Averon

It's quite funny watching the GOP bitch about Obama taking credit and campaigning on killing Bin Laden.

As if the GOP didn't spend the previous decade exploiting 9/11.
As if the GOP wouldn't crucify Obama if the operation to get Bin Laden failed, or worse yet ended up being Black Hawk Down: The sequel.

Jackson50

You mean the part where we give direct aid to a state sponsor of terrorism wasn't sufficient evidence of dysfunction?
Yeah. We could fill pages delineating the evidence of dysfunction.
The former head of the Israel FBI, Yuval Diskin, criticized the way the Israel government is handling the Iran situation: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/world/middleeast/yuval-diskin-criticizes-israel-government-on-iran-nuclear-threat.html?_r=1&hp&gwh=15BB32EF71EAC4334EF23E74608B55A5. Why is there no similar push back here in America? In fact one could say that public opinion is pushed more in favor of war with Iran. No large public figure, which a lot of people respect, is getting air time here in America. Who would be considered a neutral authority that could push us away from intervention? Richard Clarke?
As much as we unduly focus on Iran, it's even more salient in Israel. I'm not surprised there's been an effort to dampen the rhetoric. What prominent figure could command the nation's respect and affect the debate? Perhaps Robert Gates or Petraeus could have a substantial impact if they were to fervidly oppose a preventive strike. Richard Clarke's opinion would be ignored. Even if he were a prominent figure, Republicans truculently and shamefully besmirched him years ago.

RDreamer

He killed our relationship with Great Britain? Did I miss something?

And really I don't get all the shit about Obama killing our relationship with Israel. I've seen the speeches and things and it looks like the difference between Obama and Romney is the same as the difference between "All options are on the table, even war" and "We will most certainly, definitely go to war with Iran if Israel wants." They're both pandering to Israel...

That's probably referencing when he returned the bust of Winston Churchill that had been in the Oval Office when he moved in. It was one of the O.G. molehills the nitpickers latched onto. You never forget your first!

I just realized how bad Louisiana is a victim of gerrymandering:

[...]

That lovely district 2? Stretches all the way from the center of New Orleans to East Baton Rouge and LSU. They've crammed as much of our urban centers (in particular black dominated areas) into a single district as possible, ensuring the Democrats can only get one of our six spots in the House, even though that doesn't accurately represent our demographics.

I'm just discovering this because I only got into politics within the past couple of years, and this will be my first major election. I was trying to figure out which district I'm in and who I'd be able to vote for, which hasn't been going well.

Does anybody know of a place I can go to figure out who's running against my representatives for the U.S. and state Houses? I can't seem to find out who, if anybody, is challenging these guys (not that they'll lose anyway).

Oh man, if you think that's bad just wait till you see Ohio.

BEHOLD:

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2011/12/ohio_congressional_district_ma.html

The 9th stretches from Toledo across the Lake Erie shoreline to Lorain and west Cleveland. That's about 116 miles.

The only positive from redistricting is that my county is finally in a district with all the other counties in Northwest Ohio, which it should have been all along.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

And really I don't get all the shit about Obama killing our relationship with Israel. I've seen the speeches and things and it looks like the difference between Obama and Romney is the same as the difference between "All options are on the table, even war" and "We will most certainly, definitely go to war with Iran if Israel wants." They're both pandering to Israel...

Also, the most recent poll in Israel that I could find, I think done this past December, showed Obama with a rising approval rating. 54% favorable, 39% negative. He was also in the top 5 "world leader (outside your own country) do you admire most" question.

I'm trying to find a more recent one but I don't think there was one done.

So actually about Mitt Romney and the bail outs.....

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/can-perrys-staff-run-president

What's so different than what Obama did?
That is so different than other things Romney he has said. Once again, it is flip-flop Mitt . . . he is hard to criticize on his opinions because he holds every different position on every different issue as Quantum Mitt.

But those guys are trying to spin Mitt's $20Billion research program at private Universities offer as help for the car makers.

It is not wrong to ask for government help, but the automakers should come up with a win-win proposition. I believe the federal government should invest substantially more in basic research — on new energy sources, fuel-economy technology, materials science and the like — that will ultimately benefit the automotive industry, along with many others. I believe Washington should raise energy research spending to $20 billion a year, from the $4 billion that is spent today. The research could be done at universities, at research labs and even through public-private collaboration.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html?_r=1

Puddles

Banned
In fact, consider the serial killing spree Barack Obama has been on:
Osama Bin Laden
Our credit rating
The coal industry
The healthcare sector
Job creation
Economic growth
Small businesses

Our relationship with Israel

Our credit rating... wow.

The other bolded are pretty hilarious as well.

Erick Erickson's a little salty @ redstate
Once again, it is just the simple lack of correlation with reality that drives me crazy.

This morning, my dad called and pointed out that Barack Obama may just be the most successful killer to ever take up residence in the White House — more successful even than the 19th Century vampire slayer who first led the Republican Party into the White House. In fact, consider the serial killing spree Barack Obama has been on:
Osama Bin Laden
Our credit rating
Was hit because the right keeps trying to shut down the government and make us look ridiculous.
Is doing FUCKING GREAT. Oil production increased more during the Obama administration than anytime during the last 30 years.
The coal industry
Is being killed by the natural gas industry. And that is good because coal is really dirty.

The healthcare sector
Is doing GREAT. Just got 50 million new customers.
Job creation
Economic growth
Small businesses
Doing just fine. Much better than most of the rest of the western world.
Our relationshright of the Israel.
Is just fine. He is whining about the fact that we don't kiss the ass of the far-right in Israel.
Is just fine.

BEHOLD:

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2011/12/ohio_congressional_district_ma.html

The 9th stretches from Toledo across the Lake Erie shoreline to Lorain and west Cleveland. That's about 116 miles.

The only positive from redistricting is that my county is finally in a district with all the other counties in Northwest Ohio, which it should have been all along.

See also the southern half of the 11th district and, uh, that entire clusterfuck in Columbus.

Absolutely disgusting.

Chumly

KingK

BEHOLD:

Holy shit, that's terrible. It shouldn't be possible to do such a thing. As much as I dislike Indiana sometimes, at least we don't have any districts gerrymandered even close to that bad. Then again, this state is pretty solidly conservative other than Gary so they don't really need to.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Look at my mess of a district:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida's_16th_congressional_district

FL-16_congressional_district.gif

I want in my life time, to see someone defending such crap under oath.
It will never happen, but one can dream.

It seems so obvious to me that virtually every American regardless of political orientation would agree that congressional districts should be required to be squares or rectangles of varying sizes (barring state borders requiring angles) as needed to make them of equal in population. This kind of districting is an affront to democratic governance, and it's amazing that it we allow it. It reflects an utterly broken system, I think.

There also needs to be a movement to greatly expand the number of representatives in the House, possibly 3 or 4 or even many more times its current number. Reducing the number of people served by each representatives greatly enhances accountability and democratic control. The small number of representatives in the constitution was one of the objections to its ratification, and that number was set at 1 in 30,000 Americans. Madison responded that the number would grow as the population grew so as to maintain the proportion between people and representatives. It did continue to grow until, 1910, when it was frozen. Of course, the population has continued to grow so now instead of 1 representative per 30,000 the average is upwards of 1 per 700,000.

I think these reforms should go hand-in-hand with campaign finance reform and movements to end corporate citizenship as each is integral to reclaiming democratic governance.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You would have to change the way the representatives meet.
They can't all fit inside a single building in that case. Though technology has many solutions for that now.

Chichikov

It seems so obvious to me that virtually every American regardless of political orientation would agree that congressional districts should be required to be squares or rectangles of varying sizes (barring state borders requiring angles) as needed to make them of equal in population. This kind of districting is an affront to democratic governance, and it's amazing that it we allow it. It reflects an utterly broken system, I think.
I think you're being way too prescriptive here.
I have no doubt you can create an immensely unfair districts even under those limitations.
And honestly, I think we were approaching such problems all wrong - instead of putting a metric ton of rules that try to make sure that even retarded partisan monkeys can't fuck it up, we should really focus on making sure that retarded partisan monkeys are not tasked with such jobs.
Because they may be monkeys and they may be retarded, but when it come to ignoring the spirit of a law, they are second to none.
There also needs to be a movement to greatly expand the number of representatives in the House, possibly 3 or 4 or even many more times its current number. Reducing the number of people served by each representatives greatly enhances accountability and democratic control. The small number of representatives in the constitution was one of the objections to its ratification, and that number was set at 1 in 30,000 Americans. Madison responded that the number would grow as the population grew so as to maintain the proportion between people and representatives. It did continue to grow until, 1910, when it was frozen. Of course, the population has continued to grow so now instead of 1 representative per 30,000 the average is upwards of 1 per 700,000.

I think these reforms should go hand-in-hand with campaign finance reform and movements to end corporate citizenship as each is integral to reclaiming democratic governance.
I've been hearing those suggestions for a while now, and they always ring true to me.
But I feel I should educate myself a bit more on the subject, maybe it's time I do.

Yeah honestly I think one of the easiest things we can do is to double the number of representatives in the House. 1200 or 1600. I don't think we'll ever get the ratio of 1 to 30,000. That'd be like 16,000 representatives.

Chichikov

Yeah honestly I think one of the easiest things we can do is to double the number of representatives in the House. 1200 or 1600. I don't think we'll ever get the ratio of 1 to 30,000. That'd be like 16,000 representatives.
I don't feel like you can do it without a major congressional overhaul, but I think we need one anyway.

Under its current structure and under the current campaign laws, the house will be an even bigger sideshow with double the members.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Goddamn it. Was watching MTP, and Gregory was doing a good job with republican hack Ed Gillespie, when he asked why the Bush tax cuts didn't work throughout 8 years, and he let him get away with it by saying that there was 52 months of straight job growth. Not fucking pointing out that while that may be true, it was the SLOWEST growth we've had since the Bureau of Labor Statistics was created! And the total amount of jobs created were the worst since then as well.

So close, Greggers. So close.

GhaleonEB

“[Romney’s] position on the bailout was exactly what President Obama followed,” Fehrnstrom said. “He said, ‘If you want to save the auto industry, just don’t write them a check. That will seal their doom. What they need to do is go through a managed bankruptcy process.’”

“Consider that the crown jewel,” Fehrnstrom said. “The only economic success that President Obama has had is because he followed Mitt Romney’s advice.”
Amazing. :lol

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...lowed-mitt-romneys-advice-on-auto-bailout.php

Goddamn it. Was watching MTP, and Gregory was doing a good job with republican hack Ed Gillespie, when he asked why the Bush tax cuts didn't work throughout 8 years, and he let him get away with it by saying that there was 52 months of straight job growth. Not fucking pointing out that while that may be true, it was the SLOWEST growth we've had since the Bureau of Labor Statistics was created! And the total amount of jobs created were the worst since then as well.

So close, Greggers. So close.
Followed by millions losing their jobs in one gigantic dump.

He was basically doing the BigSicily graph blocking out the massive job losses and saying "look here!" at the point where jobs went up.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

But what if they didn't all have to go to Washington? Just ranking and committee members whips etc. and all the others telecommute from their home district?

But what if they didn't all have to go to Washington? Just ranking and committee members whips etc. and all the others telecommute from their home district?

Definitely doable. There is no reason that we would have to build, e.g., a House floor that could accommodate thousands of people (although there also isn't any reason we could not). I think the benefits of enhanced representation and accountability far outweigh the downsides to large bodies. The power of individual politicians would be drastically diminished and the results produced by the aggregate body more organic and representative of the people's will.

Then we can abolish the Senate!

I hope Ron Paul wins one more state. He has Minnesota, Iowa, Louisiana, and Colorado. He needs one more to force a vote at the RNC.

Which would be hilarious because the 10-15% of Ron Paul supporters would just wreak havoc on everything.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely doable. There is no reason that we would have to build, e.g., a House floor that could accommodate thousands of people (although there also isn't any reason we could not). I think the benefits of enhanced representation and accountability far outweigh the downsides to large bodies. The power of individual politicians would be drastically diminished and the results produced by the aggregate body more organic and representative of the people's will.

The senate isn't going anywhere. ever. sorry.

Just abolish the filibuster and let the house bypass the senate with supermajority :p

EDIT:

Brilliant

Chichikov

You can tell everyone is attempting to dismiss Maddow as a talking head, but she's anything but. Strict focus on policy, until Gregory and Alex moved things back to horse race politics.

Ultimately women are more concerned with the economy than anything else, but health issues are also a major issue for them as well. And right now the GOP is failing hard on those issues. I'm surprised Maddow didn't just say "look, Obama is up 15-20 points with women as of today, this isn't even close. Something is wrong on the GOP end of things and you know it."

Well if there is no pay gap then why not vote for the equal pay law since no one will be able to file a case under it? Why lose the women vote by voting against a law that doesn't make any difference at all (in their opinion)?

I kinda agree with him . . . I don't think it happens all the time. But just having the law will probably help make sure it doesn't happen.

Wait. Paul actually won states? When did this happen?
Through sheer persistence and badgering, Paul may win the majority of delegates in some states. He will still have a very small amount of the total number of delegates.

But hey . . . I'd love to see the Paulites do something crazy for my amusement. Go get 'em, Paulites!

I like this direction. Now add in some strong elements of direct democracy and partcipatism in there. And experiment with syndicalism and you have my wet dream of a country.

While obviously discrimination exists in gender pay, I do think his points are true to an extent. The stark difference in the gender pay gap is due to a combination of reasons. Nevertheless discrimination is one of the, if not the biggest, reason.

kehs

Banned
Through sheer persistence and badgering, Paul may win the majority of delegates in some states. He will still have a very small amount of the total number of delegates.

But hey . . . I'd love to see the Paulites do something crazy for my amusement. Go get 'em, Paulites!

It's a good thing republicans don't care about numerical values, or constituent's true intentions.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
While obviously discrimination exists in gender pay, I do think his points are true to an extent. The stark difference in the gender pay gap is due to a combination of reasons. Nevertheless discrimination is one of the, if not the biggest, reason.

I would like a graph that breaks down the pay over a variety of fields, namely time spent on the job, total pay divided by total hours worked, specialization or training certifications, and so on.

If there is a wage gap because more men than women work in fields that have a higher degree of specialization/degrees/danger, and those are the main reasons that men make more than women, then the point is moot.

If men make more than women factoring in the time that women take off for maternity leave, child care, and so on, ditto.

But, taking all those factors together, and equalizing the playing field, if women who work the same time, duration, have the same amount of degrees, training and so on don't make as much as their male counterparts, then that is a problem we need to address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom