• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

You're telling me that adding a couple more characters to this game would've killed the budget? Stop rationalizing son...

Unless by "budgeted" you mean, "We could make X million dollars from selling on disc content ... let's plan ahead and do it"

Cmon, man. 12 characters is a quarter of the game. Don't act like that would have cost them the same amount of money to develop.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's not like this hasn't been done before by other games. The exact same thing happened with MK9 with Scarlett having some bits left over and, IIRC, actually playable via an exploit, but was incomplete. Missing voice, etc. So they very well could be going back to work after march 6th and starting to model/balance the DLC characters. There's no real proof either way as of yet.
On-disc Jill wasn't complete, as I recall.

vg260

There's not really such a thing as "gutting" anymore. DLC gets budgeted out before the game starts development, and files are kept on disc to reduce bandwith costs.

This. A milllion times this. Everyone needs to understand this.

This is how games are developed. People need to stop with the "cut out for DLC" argument. all that stuff is planned out to be DLC, whether you believe it or not. If they don't do that, they're doing awful planning and keeping up with how the industry works now.

Ok, so let's pretend this DLC never existed. Does the base package seem like a reasonably "complete" game with an acceptable number of characters? I'd certainly say yes.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yeah yeah I'm wrong, no point in arguing when everyone here ( including me ofc ) apparently has insider knowledge of the corporate side of Capcom.

Capcom - the company second to none, maybe Valve, with regards to fan goodwill - couldn't afford to develop these characters.

It's easier to believe conspiracy theories than to look at evidence provided in interviews, I suppose.

*sigh*... Are you all fucking with me? You calling shit coming from Ono "evidence provided in interviews"?

Whatever I don't care anymore, apparently I'm the only one here who dislikes the 12 dlc idea.

edit :ahhahahah fucking hell beef, evidence provided in interviews....

Corky

Corky... you really don't get it do you?

Nope, not really. Am I missing something? ( here's the point where you give me the financial data that this wouldn't be feasible to add in the original game, anything else you say is conjecture - just as worthless as the things I'm bringing up apparently )

Why are people arguing about dlc when its been out for years, just buy them if you want them, If dlc characters are hurting your pockets then maybe you should just stick to the classics.

With that said, I cant wait to buy them all :D

vg260

Yeah yeah I'm wrong, no point in arguing when everyone here ( including me ofc ) apparently has insider knowledge of the corporate side of Capcom.

Capcom - the company second to none, maybe Valve, with regards to fan goodwill - couldn't afford to develop these characters.

*sigh*... Are you all fucking with me? You calling shit coming from Ono "evidence provided in interviews"?

Whatever I don't care anymore, apparently I'm the only one here who dislikes the 12 dlc idea.

Why don't people get that they have to cut off the game somewhere and you are not obligated to everything they've created up until the game goes gold. I know that's not what you want to hear, but just think about game development for a second.

edit :ahhahahah fucking hell beef, evidence provided in interviews....

As shaky as the source is, I trust Ono more than conspiracy theorists when it comes to DLC.

There are plenty of people who don't like the idea of DLC characters, but the majority of people here understand why they are DLC though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This. A milllion times this. Everyone needs to understand this.

This is how games are developed. People need to stop with the "cut out for DLC" argument. all that stuff is planned out to be DLC, whether you believe it or not. If they don't do that, they're doing awful planning and keeping up with how the industry works now.

Ok, so let's pretend this DLC never existed. Does the base package seem like a reasonably "complete" game with an acceptable number of characters? I'd certainly say yes.

The thing is, plenty of people simply don't want to understand any of that.

What they want is for everything to return to the way it was in the past - and often, more accurately, their perception of the past.

This is why in Space Year 2011, Capcom is Crapcom: evil, vile, and gouges for releasing UMVC3 nine months after MVC3.

But in the Salad Days of 1998, Capcom was pure, perfect, and blessed for releasing new revisions of Versus games less than a year apart in the arcades.

What's even crazier is that the people who play the games a lot would have been spending FAR more than $40 to play one of those arcade cabs for 9 months in 1998. But paying $40 for a massive update today is being "ripped off".

That's just one example. A lot of this has nothing to do with rationality. It's about perception and justifying being aggravated at something.

Nope, not really. Am I missing something? ( here's the point where you give me the financial data that this wouldn't be feasible to add in the original game, anything else you say is conjecture - just as worthless as the things I'm bringing up apparently )

If this game shipped with 38 characters, and there were no plans or announcements for any DLC whatsoever or that there was ever the possibility of more characters, would you be bitching that the game was missing 12 characters?

Corky

If this game shipped with 38 characters, and there were no plans or announcements for any DLC whatsoever or that there was ever the possibility of more characters, would you be bitching that the game was missing 12 characters?

No.

XenoRaven

If the characters exist then I am entitled to them because of how special and important I am.

vg260

Kaijima nailed it. This argument drives me crazy, but it's pointless to convince people otherwise.

What you are missing is the fact that, if this were a time BEFORE DLC existed, do you really believe those 12 extra characters would have been part of the game? The more likely answer is absolutely not, they wouldn't even have bothered with them. The only reason they were worked on in the first place, is because they KNOW DLC exists and is a viable opportunity to provide extra content for extra money. So its not like they said, "hey we are done with the game, lets lock down a few characters so we can sell them at a later date." It is more likely that they said, "hey, here is some extra development money so you can work on some extra characters that we can use for DLC."

I'm not saying this is definitely what happened, but I'm explaining a likely scenerio that developers go through nowadays because DLC is a viable option that is known about before development even begins. So it isn't that content is being taken away because they know they can get more money from you later, its that that content is only being worked on in the first place because they know they can get more money from you later.

ioMlL4USbw5XK.png

hell yeah, bryan fury

zlatko

Banned
Here's the situation. Games are 60 bucks. It's been that way for what, since last gen?

Guess what has happened since last gen? The cost for making games has gone up. A lot up. Stupid up.

How are they going to still turn profits and convince the guys at the top of the ladder that their next game is a good idea(darkstalkers let's say), if they can't put proof in the pudding with sales results?

You can't raise the price of the game from 60 to higher, because it'd turn off the whole possible consumer base. So, they have an allotted budget and development cycle. In that time and with those funds they get as much done as possible, wrap it up, and make some plans for extra income from the people who want to stick with the game and give them more motivation to keep putting it in in the form of DLC.

Now we haven't seen how they plan to dish these characters out, but if it was like $4.99-$6.99 for 2-4 characters, then I'd be okay with this.

I like games getting support after release, and I like DLC being something desirable by me. These kinds of DLC's also help fund new versions of the game with discounted prices as well as pay for updates the game may need post launch.

I'm much finer with paying for DLC I want. I'm also glad it's DLC that isn't on disc already. This means they are still working post launch.

If the cut off time/budget made it so these 12 could never come, that would suck more than paying a bit here and there months after launch for extra incentive to refresh your thirst for the game.

Now, if they announce a Super SFxT in this same year with those 12, for 40 bucks? I think we can 100% start writing off Capcom's launch games altogether. I'm not into beta testing your games (MvC3), just so I can get the real thing 6 months later.(UMvC3)

Luckily SFxT is Ono's team and is a full ass product on the disc here at 60 for launch. He likes to do new versions a year down the line. I'll gladly drop 40 bucks next year for Super SFxT if it adds more of what I may very well fall in love with.

Gaming is my only hobby and personal guilty pleasure to spend $ in, and I'm perfectly alright with paying for things I want.

Corky

What you are missing is the fact that, if this were a time BEFORE DLC existed, do you really believe those 12 extra characters would have been part of the game? The more likely answer is absolutely not, they wouldn't even have bothered with them. The only reason they were worked on in the first place, is because they KNOW DLC exists and is a viable opportunity to provide extra content for extra money. So its not like they said, "hey we are done with the game, lets lock down a few characters so we can sell them at a later date." It is more likely that they said, "hey, here is some extra development money so you can work on some extra characters that we can use for DLC."

I'm not saying this is definitely what happened, but I'm explaining a likely scenerio that developers go through nowadays because DLC is a viable option that is known about before development even begins. So it isn't that content is being taken away because they know they can get more money from you later, its that that content is only being worked on in the first place because they know they can get more money from you later.

I think you bring forth a valid argument but I have nothing more to add to this. To quote professor beef " but the majority of people here understand why they are DLC though." I'm going to sound as non-patronizing as I can, apparently I'm the 1% - not among the majority who so obviously know the inside of Capcoms organization with regards to financial decisions.

Criticizing the business decisions of be it Capcom or any other dev/company will only be met with "lol tinfoil hat", "stop bitching", "don't buy", " you don't have a clue why they've made this decision" etc etc so what's the point?

Sblargh

Banned
I know I'm a fanboy, but I think Sakura will be pretty fucking good on this game. She was already one of the characters who relied less on FADC; if her ex-tatsu works the same, that's infinite juggle material.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hey that's pretty funny! Would be pretty sweet if every single dlc char and alt was already on the disc and 99%-100% finished.

I think most of the models are on there like the base stuff. They probably finished up the rival cut screens and stuff before they shipped out DLC costumes are on there as well. everyone has 2

Corky

I think most of the models are on there like the base stuff. They probably finished up the rival cut screens and stuff before they shipped out DLC costumes are on there as well. everyone has 2

Maybe...

Though I won't be surprised if they're there barring a missing sound file or two.

I think the guy doing the hacking said there were sound files associated with the DLC characters on there.

I hope we get to hear them!

"Though I won't be surprised if they're there barring a missing sound file or two."

Well yes, you've made it quite clear that you're already convinced that this is the case.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Damn so the prologues are on disc. Since there are so many DLC characters im just hoping and praying we dont have to spend essentially another 60 dollars to get them all.

Im extremely worried about this since they charge out the ass for costumes. I cant even imagine what they are going to be charging for characters.

My wallet... my wallet.

Corky

Well yes, you've made it quite clear that you're already convinced that this is the case.

No sure what you mean, not once did I mention that I was expecting the prospect of on disc shipped dlc during my tirade.

But sure. Whatever you say.

Makoto

Yeah, what I'm worried about the most is the price of all the DLC. I need my Sakura and Christie but those might be the only two I get if the rest of the cast ends up costing as much as the game at launch.

Novid

Banned
Yeah, what I'm worried about the most is the price of all the DLC. I need my Sakura and Christie but those might be the only two I get if the rest of the cast ends up costing as much as the game at launch.

sticking with Guy - maybe lars. thats pretty much it.

No sure what you mean, not once did I mention that I was expecting the prospect of on disc shipped dlc during my tirade.

But sure. Whatever you say.

I'm not saying it's easy to add characters - I'm saying it's 10 times easier to remove them and add them later on for an extra charge.

Come on gaf... don't tell me anyone here actually thinks these characters haven't been finished among the regular roster. The team isn't going back to work after march 6th and starting to model/balance the dlc chars.

Sigh... I fucking knew the "dlc" chars were gutted so they could nickle and dime us.
???

Top Bottom