• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reliable Japanese magazine says: Smash Bros. Brawl as good as sex(IT HAS WIFI BATTLE)

rakka

radioheadrule83 said:
The boxart I thought people were talking about is the one in the Best Buy mockup... with Sonic in

Could be, there are about 100 fake box arts for brawl atm..

Bo130

zigg said:
You clearly have not read many press releases announcing DS games that support "Wi-Fi". It's become reflex to me to immediately send a followup e-mail when I get one of those.

Could you give me an example? I don't recall any game stating Wi-Fi without having online.

I actually believe in this. Coro Coro is usually reliable, and it seems reasonable. The only thing that annoys me now is, that it's weekend, so no update on the website for a few days.

BTW, does anyone know if they said "support of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection" or "online play available". The first of these can mean a lot, i.e. online scoreboards or something. Would be sad, but it's a possibility.

traveler

Not Wario
LegendofJoe said:
Speak for yourself man, it would be a VERY big deal for people like me who love Smash Brothers.

I'm not saying that online Smash Bros. itself is not a big deal, I'm saying that Nintendo "announcing" it is not, given that they've promised it in the past. It's like them justifying the "hardcore" side of their conf. by saying we gave you Brawl and Galaxy release dates when both of those games were originally promised for launch window. (Another example would be shouting OMGZ megaton if Bungie had said online two-player coop following Gears.) Hey, I'll be as excited as everyone else when we know for sure; I just wish we wouldn't congratulate Nintendo like it's some huge deal when it should be expected at this point.

test_account

XP-39C²
Totalriot said:
Don't confuse WiFi with wireless. WiFi always means internet connection.

WiFi is just the name of a wireless technoligy. It doesnt have to have internet connection. Might be that Nintendo uses WiFi as a synonym for online gaming tho, but still, WiFi doesnt have to be through internet.

angelfly

I'm pretty sure he meant in regards to Nintendo since with them it always means internet. And when they say wireless it's always local.

Jirotrom

Tenbatsu said:
Great! Now all we nid to do is to pray tat Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection can provide no lag battles! Alao, pls do away with the friend code, at least for this game only.
play strikers, as there can definitely be battles with items and no lag.

SantaC

sigh many dont understand this stuff with lag.

lag is NOT only based how the game is coded, but very dependant how your internet connection is.

traveler said:
I'm not saying that online Smash Bros. itself is not a big deal, I'm saying that Nintendo "announcing" it is not, given that they've promised it in the past. It's like them justifying the "hardcore" side of their conf. by saying we gave you Brawl and Galaxy release dates when both of those games were originally promised for launch window. (Another example would be shouting OMGZ megaton if Bungie had said online two-player coop following Gears.) Hey, I'll be as excited as everyone else when we know for sure; I just wish we wouldn't congratulate Nintendo like it's some huge deal when it should be expected at this point.

The thing is though, I don't expect Brawl to have online. From any other publisher with a game as big as Brawl I wouldn't think twice about it, but with Nintendo it's different.

I mean seriously have they given you any real reason to believe it's in, other than vague promises made years ago? Nintendo's online implementation has been mediocre to poor at best. So I don't expect much from Brawl as far as online is concerned, and frankly I don't know why anyone else would.

traveler

Not Wario
LegendofJoe said:
The thing is though, I don't expect Brawl to have online. From any other publisher with a game as big as Brawl I wouldn't think twice about it, but with Nintendo it's different.

I mean seriously have they given you any real reason to believe it's in, other than vague promises made years ago? Nintendo's online implementation has been mediocre to poor at best. So I don't expect much from Brawl as far as online is concerned, and frankly I don't know why anyone else would.

At this point, it would be unexpected. It shouldn't be, but it is. I'm just saying that reaching the industry standard is not a splooge Nintendo worthy achievement. No one else out of the big three has taken this long to get their flagship multiplayer franchise online.

test_account

XP-39C²
angelfly said:
I'm pretty sure he meant in regards to Nintendo since with them it always means internet. And when they say wireless it's always local.

Might be, but i'm just saying :)

Online play for Super Smash Brothers Brawl might be really cool, i hope that its smooth.

Agreed on all points. As fiscally conservative as Nintendo is, they should know that a lot of people would without question pay GOOD money to play Brawl on a decent online service. Hell, I'd pay $50 a year solely for Brawl. I don't want to give Nintendo any ideas, but damn if I wouldn't.

You know the weirdos that say SSB is a sloppy fighter and that button mashing is more important than skill/strategy? Well, as crazy as they are, they will be correct if talking about this game online. There's no way that the amazing timing and execution that is required in high-level matches can translate to online play.

MercuryLS

Banned
Wifi Battle?

THANK JESUS THANK JESUS THANK JESUS THANK JESUS THANK JESUS THANK JESUS THANK JESUS THANK JESUS THANK JESUS THANK JESUS THANK JESUS THANK JESUS THANK JESUS!!!

Hitmeneer said:
Wasn't this already known for a couple of months, the WiFi?

Yeah this has been known about since the game was bloody announced BACK IN 2005!!!

Good to see confirmation but it's nothing earth shattering...

Jirotrom said:
play strikers, as there can definitely be battles with items and no lag.

Yeah Strikers proves that WFC is perfectly solid enough for SSBB online, if you haven't played it you really must! Great fun, extremely hectic and twitchy and nary a sign of lag (Unless you or your opponent have a slow connection, I've encountered a couple of people with bad connections and UGH, it's totally unplayable with them!)

zigg

Bo130 said:
Could you give me an example? I don't recall any game stating Wi-Fi without having online.

Here's a recent one: Drawn to Life. Press release: "Drawn to Life will also feature the ability for players to trade their created heroes with friends via the Nintendo DS Wi-Fi function." I confirmed with THQ directly that it refers to local wireless only for my news report.

Also:

Nuclear Muffin said:
Yeah this has been known about since the game was bloody announced BACK IN 2005!!!

That's all good and well, but the game hadn't even been started yet back then, and since then Nintendo isn't saying online or no, even when we asked directly this past E3. I think it's quite wise to wait for confirmation here.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
What's the point of local wi-fi on a home console (and not a handheld) for a game who already allowed 4P multiplayer on a single machine in its previous iterations?

Hitmeneer said:
Wasn't this already known for a couple of months, the WiFi?

Nope. In fact, if anything, the scale has been tipping towards there being no online play at all, since Nintendo didn't mention it at their E3 conference during the online wifi portion (they went out of their way to say Mario Kart was online, among others).

We'll see. This is hardly confirmation of anything, though.

Furoba

Vyse The Legend said:
Nope. In fact, if anything, the scale has been tipping towards there being no online play at all, since Nintendo didn't mention it at their E3 conference during the online wifi portion (they went out of their way to say Mario Kart was online, among others).

We'll see. This is hardly confirmation of anything, though.

When they first announced (before anything was known) SSBB, they said "WiFi" though. ;p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RiskyChris said:
Why is this thread not exploding? Is no one else painfully inflicted with insomnia?

I'm painfully inflicted with sexsomnia.

Zeed

Banned
RiskyChris said:
Why is this thread not exploding? Is no one else painfully inflicted with insomnia?
We're cautiously pessimistic. I'll believe it when Sakurai shows it on the website.

I want to believe, online would be a nice addition for competitive matches.

Tenbatsu said:
Great! Now all we nid to do is to pray tat Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection can provide no lag battles! Alao, pls do away with the friend code, at least for this game only.
Lag is not only related to netcode.

Most Wi-Fi online games don't need friend codes for (random opponent) online battles.

Jocchan said:
What's the point of local wi-fi on a home console (and not a handheld) for a game who already allowed 4P multiplayer on a single machine in its previous iterations?

It doesn't ship with three other people in the box.

ant1532

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I hope Nintendo places language options again!
Sakurai does what Nintendont

Even though I hope Sakurai changes his minds with the no rankings and keeping track of matches won and lost... That is the worst thing that ever came out of his mouth.

Top Bottom