• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori Plus (Vita) |OT| Stealthily Adventuring onto PSN

geestack

Just bought and downloaded this, it's almost like they straight up ripped the PS3 version off the disc and got it running on Vita. I know the PS3 version wasn't a technical marvel, but what they've pulled off here, it looks about 1:1 graphically, with character models exactly the same and anti-aliasing intact. Framerate is pretty variable, as it doesn't ever really maintain the steady 60fps of the PS3 version with slowdown happening almost everywhere, but visually and mechanically it's exactly like the PS3 version. Unfortunately, that means things like text on the screen and menus are a little small, as it doesn't seem like they really scaled the UI that well for the smaller screen.

Character shadows are also non-existent in battles, likely for performance issues. I only fought the first tutorial battle, and it was fine; then again, these games aren't about combat, so I'm not too bothered about it. Here are some screens:

bLm.jpg

cLm.jpg

dLm.jpg

eLm.jpg

fLm.jpg

zroid

Banned
Wait, this is PSN exclusive? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOURNS

Also, why'd it have to be Totori. That's the only Arland game I already own.

Rarutos

Cool, thanks!

Fair warning, the dub is a partial one if you care about that. Every scene in the JP track is voiced, while in the dub it's a bit scattered to important scenes and whatnot.

Wait, this is PSN exclusive? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOURNS

Also, why'd it have to be Totori. That's the only Arland game I already own.
Probably because Rorona Plus doesn't exist and Meruru Plus is just coming out tomorrow in Japan! Or is it today now?

zroid

Banned
Probably because Rorona Plus doesn't exist and Meruru Plus is just coming out tomorrow in Japan! Or is it today now?

I wish Rorona Plus did exist. I'm glad about Meruru, but if it also comes here digital only that will pretty much mean no buy. :(

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yeah, Rorona + didn't happen because compared to Totori and Meruru it would need to be completely redone and these are (for the most part) quick and presumably cheap ports. Not that I mind, but that's just how it is. ^^;

Paskil

I am a poor judge of frame and this is actually my first Atalier game. I just felt the need for a new RPG, and supporting Vita. I watch some anime, a few of which have included heavy fan service and besides the costume, I haven't seen a lot yet. Not really sure if that's a huge thing in this series. I can take it or leave it. Fair warning, the protag and her sister sound GD adorable (if you've heard JPN dialogue, this should be self-explanatory and may be a deciding factor if you get this). Here, have some screenies.

Rarutos

I am a poor judge of frame and this is actually my first Atalier game. I just felt the need for a new RPG, and supporting Vita. I watch some anime, a few of which have included heavy fan service and besides the costume, I haven't seen a lot yet. Not really sure if that's a huge thing in this series.

In my opinion, a lot of people really overblow that there is fanservice in the Arland games in general. Most of the game is actually pretty tame overall aside from maybe one or two events and some remarks.

Paskil

In my opinion, a lot of people really overblow that there is fanservice in the Arland games in general. Most of the game is actually pretty tame overall aside from maybe one or two events and some remarks.

I only played it up through the first alchemy synthesis and they are really pushing the vulnerable, clueless, younger sister trope. I don't have a problem with that. Since it isn't really a hardcore JRPG (except maybe in the gathering/crafting sense?), they have to hook people somehow. I think I will like this game, I just have to finish two other games on PS3 first.

Rarutos

I only played it up through the first alchemy synthesis and they are really pushing the vulnerable, clueless, younger sister trope. I don't have a problem with that. Since it isn't really a hardcore JRPG (except maybe in the gathering/crafting sense?), they have to hook people somehow. I think I will like this game, I just have to finish two other games on PS3 first.

Haha, I think they do that with Totori because it's obvious by the end of the game how much she's grown as a character, which I found really nice. :)

RurouniZel

It's really is peculiar how this is the series people seem to have latched onto Atelier to go "hey look fanservice" when there's only a couple in each game usually. Esp. since (maybe I just don't see it often enough) Neptunia is much more wall-to-wall fanservice than Atelier ever was and doesn't seem to get anywhere near as much thrown at it. :/

It's really is peculiar how this is the series people seem to have latched onto Atelier to go "hey look fanservice" when there's only a couple in each game usually. Esp. since (maybe I just don't see it often enough) Neptunia is much more wall-to-wall fanservice than Atelier ever was and doesn't seem to get anywhere near as much thrown at it. :/

It's the artstyle. I think it's a nice style to have feminine protagonists and, in my opinion, it's not really sexualized like most RPG females.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Fair warning, the dub is a partial one if you care about that. Every scene in the JP track is voiced, while in the dub it's a bit scattered to important scenes and whatnot.
You just killed the game for me; that's the exact reason I was irked by Nuptunia Mk2.

RurouniZel

It's the artstyle. I think it's a nice style to have feminine protagonists and, in my opinion, it's not really sexualized like most RPG females.

I guess I'll just never see whatever it is that everyone else sees that makes them recoil is horror. Cute is cute, and I like cute. :)

OmegaZero

Whatever, just bought this.
I'm going in without any prior experience with the series, so is there anything I should know as a newbie?

Rarutos

Whatever, just bought this.
I'm going in without any prior experience with the series, so is there anything I should know as a newbie?

Fight everything to keep up in levels, make bombs for Totori so you can have an easier time early on. (Use Unis at first if you can't yet) Don't stress the time limit too much or you'll just have a lot less fun, and just enjoy the ride.

For later: Make Traveler's Shoes and Harvesting Gloves as soon as you can to cut travel and gathering time. :)

I forgot (and love) how Guid is basically Kellam.

faridmon

I didn't know this was getting a release. I didn't know this was getting a localisation. Heck, I didn't know this existed.

I am losing out. My gaming badge should be taken away :(

Just installed now, intro animation is so nice on OLED! Anyone know why the store link on the live area for this seems to go to a psn code input prompt?

OmegaZero

Fight everything to keep up in levels, make bombs for Totori so you can have an easier time early on. (Use Unis at first if you can't yet) Don't stress the time limit too much or you'll just have a lot less fun, and just enjoy the ride.

For later: Make Traveler's Shoes and Harvesting Gloves as soon as you can to cut travel and gathering time. :)

I forgot (and love) how Guid is basically Kellam.

Sweet, I'll keep that in mind.
I'll post my impressions sometime later this week.

(Got this, DoA5+ and the PSASBR patch to juggle).

OceanBlue

Don't forget the Warp Gate! It's so useful. Once you get the Azure Wing, use it on the Warp Gate and make sure you don't mess it up, lol.

Would love to buy this as I've always meant to get into the series and the surprise release almost adds an element of pity for the company. However, given my limited amount of space on my 8GB card I'll have to delete a good amount of games. My plus ran out so I can't put my vita saves online. Am I totally buggered with no way of moving my digital game saves?

Rarutos

Would love to buy this as I've always meant to get into the series and the surprise release almost adds an element of pity for the company. However, given my limited amount of space on my 8GB card I'll have to delete a good amount of games. My plus ran out so I can't put my vita saves online. Am I totally buggered with no way of moving my digital game saves?

You could always store them on your PS3 I think? If you have one, that is.

Also, this is a bit silly but going through the beginning of this game again makes me miss Rorona. It feels like it's been a looong time since I've met her in-game. (No, Meruru doesn't count!) At least I'll get to see her later!

Cheska

This is tempting since I tend to get further in RPG's when they're on handhelds and I may get past the spot I was stuck at on the PS3, but damn at that $40 price tag.

Stark

Banned
Nah, I liked her! I just didn't like how she was handled. I would have been a lot happier with her presence if she had retained her memories, at least. (Or eventually got them back in-game)

Ah yeah! Definitely agree there.

Going to be hard to take in the lack of Rorona in Ayesha whenever I get to it.
;_;7

Stark

Banned
I don't think you need to worry about that too much since it's a whole new universe. Also, that's not much of a spoiler. :p

Nah I just did that randomly.

Yep, that's why it kinda sucks. :( It's why I'm happy yet sad with sequels. Nice that it expands, but hard to let go when it ends.

Top Bottom