• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I can't really blame Funimation for pulling back on their theatrical releases. Releases of solo anime films probably don't bring in that many people. That said, it really stings that In This Corner of the World is playing just down the street, but it sold out immediately.

Guys, it's so pretty.

I wanna see it. ;_;
Funimation has claimed that theatrical releases are an area they want to expand in and that they've preformed well. I don't really know what you are talking about or what prompted it though.

duckroll

You ignored GoT because so far incest hasn't been normalized as a good thing yet. That will change shortly, but until now the incest elements have been all the BAD people and it is clear that incest is a BAD trait that is BAD. Etc.

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 5

This was cute. Reminded me of a Yucie style story actually. The CG (?) background they used for the bird's eye view shots of the forest were awful. The fireball effects were nice though!

Chase17

Princess Principle 01
So many lies. Good thing they gave a complimentary week between the insurance and death (err, at least until the body was found). Pretty good first episode.

Made in Abyss 01

This seems fun. The desks in the classroom are scary. Guess the recruiting process for these explorers start young. Kind of unclear if they are given the choice, though the characters introduced so far seem into it.

We will never get an announcement of A Silent Voice movie getting released in the west.....

A Silent Voice has been released in plenty of Western countries. If you're talking about the US, Eleven Arts has licensed theatrical distribution rights and will be holding a limited run of it later this year.

Taruranto

I think in general I get the feeling that incest in JP works is (usually) used to pander. i.e. "he wants to bang his little sister, hawt", why in western works is usually, but not always, used to portray messed up relationships/messed up stuff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You ignored GoT because so far incest hasn't been normalized as a good thing yet. That will change shortly, but until now the incest elements have been all the BAD people and it is clear that incest is a BAD trait that is BAD. Etc.
Dany/Jon shipping????

I think in general I get the feeling that incest in JP works is (usually) used to pander. i.e. "he wants to bang his little sister, hawt", why in western works is usually, but not always, used to portray messed up relationships/messed up stuff.

There is often a casualness and normalization to it in Japanese media.

I can't really blame Funimation for pulling back on their theatrical releases. Releases of solo anime films probably don't bring in that many people. That said, it really stings that In This Corner of the World is playing just down the street, but it sold out immediately.

Guys, it's so pretty.

I wanna see it. ;_;

Ugh, it's not even showing anywhere in MA. I was real bummed when they released lists of theaters and there were absolutely none in my state.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tsuredure Children

I mean, I'll give you that the Student Council President is smooth as fuck, but damn if they didn't take this fluffy romance shit into some lewd as fuck territory with that dialogue/panning.

Jintor

it's nice to have an assertive male lead to counterbalance the other awkward as fuck leads in that show. though he's still a tad... creepy.

Sterok

Made in Abyss 6

I figured out Marulk as soon as I heard boku. Ozen may be acting creepy and menacing and stuff, but all I see is yet another adult trying to convince this dumb kid that going on an obvious suicide mission might not be a good idea.

I need tickets to LA now

King of Prism by PrettyRhythm coming to Los Angeles Anime Film Festival
DG-aHmkUwAACBtj.jpg

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Completed - Well, that was definitely something. In a way, I get why this got so popular when it premiered on Toonami back in the day, especially with the multitude of POV characters compared to the other Gundam series in the franchise. So if you could find a character and latch on to the one you like, I can imagine the experience being really good.

But this series was a fucking mess. It's like if the writers tried to cram all of the OG series, Zeta, the OVAs, and Char's Counter Attack into a single series. The Pacing was just all over the place and there was too many "main characters" for the relatively short length of the series. Like, it's not a good sign that I have to keep a wiki open during the watch to keep track of all the moving chess pieces because it has way too much going on.

Also doesn't help that the central 5 characters, Wufei in particular, feel undercooked.

moogs

Neo Member
THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls 07

Sometimes, I wish I knew something about flower language. The tension in the opening scene was good. There was excellent sound direction throughout the episode as well. Plenty of low-angle shots of buildings set a menacing mood. It suits the producer's image accordingly. I appreciate Rin's attitude towards him, but she's just fanning the flames. Wounded by Rin, and then healed by Uzuki—they make a good duo. As stereotypical as the use of rain is, it appropriately allowed the situation to simmer and helped the scenes to steep. Though, the juxtaposition of the producer against the fire safety poster along with the fire extinguisher was too much. He's really putting out this fire here! His muddy shoes while running really show how much he has been dragging his feet. Also, how many times is Mio going to remind the audience that she is the unit's leader? She's really clinging to that... this burnt fried chicken. Handcuff her already.

He's bad at communicating, and the longer that goes on the less I can sympathize with it. Although, it does set a precedence for the idols to develop without the producer as the catalyst.
I forgive your optimism, past self.

Rankings: 1. Uzuki▲∞; 2. Rin▲; 3. Producer▲▲; 4. Mika; 5. Chihiro; 6. Anastasia▼; 7. Kirari; 8. Miku▲; 9. Ranko; 10. Chieri; 11. Riina; 12. Rika; 13. Minami; 14. Miria; 15. Anzu▲; 16. Kanako
Benched: Nana, Akane, Miho, Mizuki, Mayu, and Trainer(s)
Detention: Mio

Ugh, it's not even showing anywhere in MA. I was real bummed when they released lists of theaters and there were absolutely none in my state.

In This Corner of The World is releasing in substantially fewer theaters than most of Funimation's past releases (as seen by the fact that they're listing theaters individually on their website rather than requiring you to search by zip code). Genocidal Organ showed in a similarly small number of theaters, if not even smaller. Meanwhile, Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry, which Funimation is releasing next week, appears to be in about as many theaters as the more expansive of their past film releases. I can only assume Funimation has found that franchise films pull in substantially more theater-goers than stand-alone films with no hook to an already popular franchise. Thus, they've decided that it's only worth putting films such as In This Corner of The World in places where they've determined the most avid audience is - which of course is primarily centered around New York City and the California coast. It's unfortunate, but not terribly surprising.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
In This Corner of The World is releasing in substantially fewer theaters than most of Funimation's past releases (as seen by the fact that they're listing theaters individually on their website rather than requiring you to search by zip code). Genocidal Organ showed in a similarly small number of theaters, if not even smaller. Meanwhile, Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry, which Funimation is releasing next week, appears to be in about as many theaters as the more expansive of their past film releases. I can only assume Funimation has found that franchise films pull in substantially more theater-goers than stand-alone films with no hook to an already popular franchise. Thus, they've decided that it's only worth putting films such as In This Corner of The World in places where they've determined the most avid audience is - which of course is primarily centered around New York City and the California coast. It's unfortunate, but not terribly surprising.
The website listing for In This Corner of The World isn't really comprehensive. I see it at my local theater on and after the 18th, but that doesn't show up on Funimation's own website at all. Yes the release is "limited" but it's way wider than what you'd see from someone like GKIDS.

Taruranto

Scandal in the Vatican #6

8SFEv14.png

Alright, the show is back on track! Our ambiguous gay duo is sent to depth of Africa. To be honest, so far the mystery seems kinda lame. Prophecies and a body that doesn't rot? Meh.

I'm kinda afraid they blew their load too early with the
Hilter's sperm
line. I wonder how they are going to top
Hitler's sperm.

The website listing for In This Corner of The World isn't really comprehensive. I see it at my local theater on and after the 18th, but that doesn't show up on Funimation's own website at all. Yes the release is "limited" but it's way wider than what you'd see from someone like GKIDS.

Hey thanks! I actually found it is playing in Boston, bit of a drive for me but still! Thanks!

Edit: Woo! Got tickets for next Saturday! Thanks again, dimb!

Funimation ought to do a better job of updating their website then. Although there aren't any screenings I can find for any of the local theaters that Funi has put their films in in the past, so personally I'll still have a drive a ways to get to one.

(Also GKIDS can have reasonably wide geographic distribution of releases that they invest in, such as Miss Hokusai and of course their Ghibli screenings.)

Just T

Kizumonogatari II & III

With the second part of Owarimonogatari coming out soon, thought to finish this up. When first starting the series way back when, made sure to read Kizu where it normally would have been viewed since apparently it was important. Surely anyone who been knew or knows the story now can tell why since it explores the beginnings of Araragi and Kiss-shot which is the best part of this story along with Oshino moments. Of course, the other big thing about it is the focus on Araragi and Hanekawa’s beginning. However, don’t really like Hanekawa, out of all the characters in the series she is one of the only ones I don’t like. So as important as her moments are in understanding why Araragi held her in such high regards still just want them to finish lol. These films overall are great though with these important moments finally being animated and in such a higher quality than originally expected., the action scenes turned out incredible. Especially the final one with Araragi and Kiss-shot that was pretty comical at points but still intense. And as expected, the music was fantastic as well.

Chase17

Made in Abyss 02-03
Ah, Robot boy is Killua. I like the extendable arms lol. Guess the leader left a note/package? Also I feel like Riko has shown anything to make me think she can get all the way to the bottom. Pretty solid bittersweet farewell.

Princess Principle 02-03
This is really enjoyable. I like the dance conspiracy episode in particular. Series has done a pretty good job on making Ange likable. Did not expect her to want to run away from the job. Will be interested to find out her history with the princess.

DNAbro

My Hero Academia Episodes 1-6 (Dub)

Overall it seems pretty good. Only character so far that I think is overwhelmingly better in English is Aoyama. All Might is pretty great too.

My Hero Academia Episodes 1-6 (Dub)

Overall it seems pretty good. Only character so far that I think is overwhelmingly better in English is Aoyama. All Might is pretty great too.

I prefer most of the eng cast except slightly todoroki since hes yuki kaji in jpn. I dont like jpn midoriya as I cant avoid associating him with the other characters he plays with that voice for some reason.

Luigi87

Just watched Little Witch Academia TV ep. 13. Been really enjoying this series... but since I hadn't been paying attention, I didn't realize that Netflix doesn't have the remaining 12 episodes.

Between this, CAD pricing going up, and the Disney deal ending announcement, guaranteed my sub cancellation... bah, maybe I'll resub to CR...

Jarmel

Banned
So the Full Metal Panic IV PV is officially released.

http://www.tdd-1.com/iv/news/img/170812.mp4

They added some scenes in from the first PV such as this one where the smoke comes towards the camera.
I thought the original looked kind of incomplete as it has some whiteout effect and comes to the smoke coming out of the building while this feels like a proper explosion effect now. It looks good. I still can't figure out whether that's Hashimoto or not.
The backgrounds also look a lot better than I initially thought. Apparently they were showing a version which had the sides cut off so there's more detail on the peripheral. There's also more backgrounds that are painted than I initially thought.
They added in this scene which makes me think the Arbalest is CGI in this sequence. If so then the base models look decent enough but I have to see how they look in motion.
This is also a new sequence or rather an altered one. I'm not sure if they got rid of the old one which just had a closeup of Mao while this one has her walking tilted forward.
It looks decent enough I suppose. I need to see the Arbalest in action but it seems fine. It also means they weren't done with episode 1 when AX came along. I'm wondering if the production schedule is still too tight even after the delay.

So the Full Metal Panic IV PV is officially released.

http://www.tdd-1.com/iv/news/img/170812.mp4

They added some scenes in from the first PV such as this one where the smoke comes towards the camera.

I thought the original looked kind of incomplete as it has some whiteout effect and comes to the smoke coming out of the building while this feels like a proper explosion effect now. It looks good. I still can't figure out whether that's Hashimoto or not.

The backgrounds also look a lot better than I initially thought. Apparently they were showing a version which had the sides cut off so there's more detail on the peripheral. There's also more backgrounds that are painted than I initially thought.

They added in this scene which makes me think the Arbalest is CGI in this sequence. If so then the base models look decent enough but I have to see how they look in motion.

This is also a new sequence or rather an altered one. I'm not sure if they got rid of the old one which just had a closeup of Mao while this one has her walking tilted forward.

It looks decent enough I suppose. I need to see the Arbalest in action but it seems fine. It also means they weren't done with episode 1 when AX came along. I'm wondering if the production schedule is still too tight even after the delay.

Tbh they should delay it till Spring.

Having a unfinished anime is no good.

duckroll

Just watched Little Witch Academia TV ep. 13. Been really enjoying this series... but since I hadn't been paying attention, I didn't realize that Netflix doesn't have the remaining 12 episodes.

They'll be up on Tuesday. That's why I just started watching it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom