• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:

aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/ / Tide of Shadows and Other Stories
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Hop: The Latte Segment
Plasticine Live Undead
UCBooties Trumpocalypse
whatevermort: The Explorer; No Harm Can Come to a Good Man; Long Dark Dusk by James Smythe

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)
History Books

General/Fiction
Recommend me books with pretty prose
I need a book
Essential books for a non-reader
Page turners (suspense)
Recommend me Historical Novels
What are your favorite books?
Recommend Me a Book and I'll Read It
Short stories
Spy & Espionage Fiction
Reading is .. Fun?
Philosophical Fiction
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF
Novels with great world building
Non-western literature
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading

Sci-fi/Fantasy
Upcoming Scifi and Fantasy TV/Movie Adaptations
Stephen King Books
Recommend a book that feels like Dark Souls
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books
Cyberpunk (Note: Not just book recommendations)
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Literature
Epic Fantasy
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Post-apocalpytic Books
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Horror
Vampire Lore
Modern Literary Horror Fiction
Can books be scary?
Horror Fiction
Scary Books

Audiobooks
Audiobook recommendations
Help me choose books from Audible
Great audiobooks
What's your favorite audiobook?

Explore
Reddit's Favorite Books Published in 2016
Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
Goodreads 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (March 2017)
What are you reading? (February 2017)
What are you reading? (January 2017)
What are you reading? (December 2016)
What are you reading? (November 2016)
What are you reading? (October 2016)
What are you reading? (September 2016)
What are you reading? (August 2016)
What are you reading? (July 2016)
What are you reading? (June 2016)
What are you reading? (May 2016)
What are you reading? (April 2016)
What are you reading? (March 2016)
What are you reading? (February 2016)
What are you reading? (January 2016)
What are you reading? (December 2015)
What are you reading? (November 2015)
What are you reading? (October 2015)
What are you reading? (September 2015)
What are you reading? (August 2015)
What are you reading? (July 2015)
What are you reading? (June 2015)
What are you reading? (May 2015)
What are you reading? (April 2015)
What are you reading? (March 2015)
What are you reading? (February 2015)
What are you reading? (January 2015)
What are you reading? (December 2014)
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

Fou-Lu

I've been reading the Demon Cycle by Peter V Brett. Just started the Skull Throne last night. The first book was great, but it has been downhill since then with no sign of stopping, yet I keep reading. The characters are all over the place, it feels like a soap opera half the time, there is obvious signs of the series being stretched out longer than it should have been, and the Krasian culture is such a bad caricature of an amalgamation of middle eastern cultures. Hell the main character spontaneously gains an accent in the third book and it is AWFUL. So why do I keep reading? I think I just want to see it through at this point.

PFD

Do audiobooks count? I'm about to finish How to Win Friends & Influence People (last time I read it was 14 years ago)

Reading the War of Art next

41DwUdCY6xL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

fakefaker

I'm on page 130 of Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames. So far it's been a surprisingly good mix of world building, character development and getting robbed. Damn bandits.

30841984.jpg

Sean C

Beauty%20and%20the%20Beast_zpso3gkqvpv.jpg

Out just in time for Disney's live-action remake of the most famous cinematic iteration of Beauty and the Beast, this Penguins Classics edited collection uses the famous Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumount telling of "Beauty and the Beast" for as the thematic lynchpin of a gathering of fairy tales about humans and bestial spouses. This has been quite a fruitful area for human imagination, as it turns out, everywhere from Japan to Scandinavia to Ghana to the Yupik peoples of Alaska. It's quite easy, reading all these tales in close proximity, to identify many common themes, even beyond the expected ones like looking beyond appearances (which actually shows up less than one might think). There are also any number of stories where there's no real attempt to impart a moral at all, as with "The Dog Bride".

Kawl_USC

Reading IT following the trailer for the new movie coming out. Have read a handful of King novel's before so this is scratching the right itch.

Also working through the first Horus Heresy novel after picking up that humble bundle. It's interesting enough for now.

kingofrod

Just finished The Fisherman by John Langan. I read a lot of horror books, and I'm pretty sure someone on here recommended this one at one point, so if you're that person, THANK YOU! I'm going to have to pick up more of his writing, because Langan is fantastic. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Langan, along with some of the newer folks to come out like Laird Barron, will have some of their works included as classics fifty years from now.

I think it helps that I read In a Dark Dark Wood by Ruth Ware right before The Fisherman, and the quality of writing couldn't be more different (in Langan's favor, obviously). Ware's book is all plot, which is good for reading on a plane or on a bus - take that as you will.

I've started reading The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks - I'm about halfway through and I'm still trying to make heads or tails of it. I should be finished in the next week so I'll let anyone who's curious know the score on this one.

After that, I think I'll take a break from scary books - maybe read the BJ Novak short stories book I picked up.

Let's see, about 75% of the way through To Green Angel Tower Part 1 by Tad Williams, in my re-read of the original Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy, which is really four books, given that To Green Angel Tower is split into two 800 page parts. Which it might take me the rest of the year to finish.

Also, Half a War by Joe Abercrombie. I'm reading this on digital when I travel, so it might sit for a little while, as I'm not going anywhere until the end of April. I'm about 80% of the way through this one as well.

Also, just to throw it out there for anyone who *might* be interested, I published novella #3 as part of the GAF Writing Challenge of a "novella per month for the first 3 months." I'm actually writing 12 novellas, one each month in 2017, as I document the 12 tasks a young man is attempting to complete to become a knight.

Amazon Kindle only: Knight Evident: The Third Entry in the Knight's Journal

Unducks

Neo Member
9a1d224128a0aecea299a010.L.jpg

Giving the Aubrey / Maturin series another shot. So far the second book started rocky and then suddenly clicked for me. Now I feel like I'm starting to see why people love the series.

napoleon_a_life.jpg

Also listening to this, both because I've been wanting to learn about Napoleon for a while and to learn a bit about the Napoleonic Wars. So far, not my favorite biography. The author just isn't focusing on the aspects of Napoleon that I find interesting, and instead goes into massive detail about minute aspects of his campaigns and policy. Well-researched, but maybe I didn't need such an extensive book.

I'm currently trying to get into poetry by starting with William Blake.

It's going alright so far. Definitely have to tackle poems with a different mindset than novels

Sean C

I'm currently trying to get into poetry by starting with William Blake.

It's going alright so far. Definitely have to tackle poems with a different mindset than novels
I had to read some of Blake's work in university, particularly in a course on Romantic writers. I could never get into him.

Saya

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman is a classic, and falls right in the range you're looking for.

I started this! I'm about 50 pages in and it is pretty awesome. I'm kind of surprised by how much sex is in this haha. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it this weekend.

aravuus

Posting my Malazan Book of the Fallen question again:
Has anyone here read the Tor reread (http://www.tor.com/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen/) chapters of it while reading the books? As in, read Deadhouse Gates chapter 1 -> read the reread commentary on chp1 -> DG chp2 -> reread commentary chp2 etc?

I know the bit in the beginning says there are spoilers in the commentary, but if it's subtle stuff, reading the reread along the book could be fun. If it's blatant stuff like "this guy dies later and this war happens and everyone else also dies" then I'll skip.

Paganmoon

Regarding Forever War. Though I really enjoyed the book (I see it as a better version of book Starship Troopers), it's sort of strange by the ending regarding it's commentary on society (spoilers of course):

Felt sort of like strange commentary on LGBT and inclusion and liberal views. With the "first" future government "encouraging" homosexuality (as if it is a choice?) as a form of birth control, and in the ending, centuries later all people are uniformly alike, and exclusively homosexual, and heterosexuality is seen as something weird.

The book was from what I've understood, written as a way of explaining the disconnect soldiers can feel from society when coming back from war, to people who've never been to war, but that aspect of it, the commentary on LGBT felt strange.

Either that was the intention of Halderman, or I've understood the ending wrong for a very long time.

Ratrat

Regarding Forever War. Though I really enjoyed the book (I see it as a better version of book Starship Troopers), it's sort of strange by the ending regarding it's commentary on society (spoilers of course):

Felt sort of like strange commentary on LGBT and inclusion and liberal views. With the "first" future government "encouraging" homosexuality (as if it is a choice?) as a form of birth control, and in the ending, centuries later all people are uniformly alike, and exclusively homosexual, and heterosexuality is seen as something weird.

The book was from what I've understood, written as a way of explaining the disconnect soldiers can feel from society when coming back from war, to people who've never been to war, but that aspect of it, the commentary on LGBT felt strange.

Either that was the intention of Halderman, or I've understood the ending wrong for a very long time.
You're over thinking it. Its not about being liberal but using science to control the population and guide human evolution. Read the sequel.(or don't as its pretty awful)

Finished Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. Decent, good even, but a very slight. I enjoyed it, but I almost feel like it would have benefited from a rewrite to rebalance. Lots of characters are just kind of there, on the edge of the narrative, and are given viewpoints, but they don't do much, and they don't really have much of an arc. Either that, or make it into a novella or short story.

Finishing Half a King which I'm not really enjoying at all. Feels boring and clichéd.

Necrovex

Started on Strangers In Their Own Land. About 20% in, and I'm already so frustrated with the people in these interviews. My liberal blood cannot handle the paradoxes. Though I am slowly understanding the Tea Party's viewpoints.

Re-reading Imajika.

I've always been fond of Clive Barker's writing and this one is deep full of weird lore and a fantastical reality. I loved Weaveworld. Need to revisit that.

pa22word

Also listening to this, both because I've been wanting to learn about Napoleon for a while and to learn a bit about the Napoleonic Wars. So far, not my favorite biography. The author just isn't focusing on the aspects of Napoleon that I find interesting, and instead goes into massive detail about minute aspects of his campaigns and policy. Well-researched, but maybe I didn't need such an extensive book.
Honestly thanks for talking about this because my mom got me this for a christmas gift but I haven't started it yet because usually biographies don't focus on the aspects of what you are talking about and instead get bogged down in personal details, devil's advocatism to the point of near absurdity, and attire to the point of insanity when talking about pre 20th century people. It sounds like it'd be right up my alley.

Based on what you said it's probably not a book you'd like, but I can't talk about Napoleon without name dropping Campaigns of Napoleon by David Chandler. Little pricey, but if you ever feel the need to learn some of the details about napoleon and his wars definitely check it out.

effzee

I started the Lies of Locke Lamora but am really struggling through it. Does it pick up and should I continue it?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
6251564.jpg

I finished this classic tale, the denouement in this novel was pretty crazy, i could have never predicted it. Now i'm onto this:

18305967.jpg

This is a short story collection from Ray Bradbury that doesn't deal exclusively in sci-fi stories. I'm not sure I totally get some of the stories but I know they are wonderfully written.

Age of Anger
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0374274789/?tag=neogaf0e-20

61kGZdDcxHL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The preface:
I started thinking about this book in 2014 after Indian voters, including my own friends and relatives, elected Hindu supremacists to power, and Islamic State became a magnet for young men and women in Western democracies. I finished writing it during the week in 2016 in which Britain voted to leave the European Union. It went to the printers in the week that Donald Trump was elected president of the United States. Each of these earthquakes revealed fault lines that I felt had been barely noticed over the years, running through inner lives as well as nations, communities and families. The pages that follow try to make sense of bewildering, and often painful, experiences by re-examining a divided modern world, this time from the perspective of those who came late to it, and felt, as many people do now, left, or pushed, behind.

z4chc3na

Currently reading American Gods for the first time after having a friend recommend it to me. Hopefully I can finish by the time the show starts!

6251564.jpg

I finished this classic tale, the denouement in this novel was pretty crazy, i could have never predicted it. Now i'm onto this:

Just came here to post this. I've never really dug into Christie before, but I'm really impressed with the tale she has weaved so far. I've tried to piece things together and I just don't think I'm anywhere near the ballpark. I'll absolutely delve into her other works based on this one so far

elhav

Love these monthly threads.

Currently reading The Tower Of Swallows of the Witcher series. It's the 5th book, I think. Not sure. Love it so far.

Kinda bummed knowing I only have one book left after that(I know there is a new book released in 2013, but from what I've seen it doesn't progress the story, so it sucks)

I think I'll stop at Lady Of The Lake and start playing the Witcher trilogy.
After that maybe I'll find something refreshing to read. Maybe Sci-Fi. Haven't read a Sci-Fi book yet, if I remember correctly. Dune is worth a read, or is it too archaic?

pa22word

It comes across as very masturbatory. How is it? It sounds interesting, but as someone who lives in the southern US and have dealt with this and its rising tide literally since the day I was born, it kind of reeks of the same shit leftist writers put out post fall of the USSR. More about "me and my journey to acceptance of reality" rather than anything about the subject in and of itself.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Been wanting to re-read the Harry Potter series but only got started late last year. I've been slogging through though, because it's just hard for me to re-read, re-watch, re-play anything in general.

What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe

A good pickup and read book that I can read in short bursts when my 9 month old falls asleep on me. I'm about half-way through though, and I've skipped a few of the questions because some of them seem a little same-y.

kswiston

Any recommendations from the April Kindle sales? Trying to filter through the romance novels is painful.

What genres do you like?

I see a Natural History of Dragons up there for $2.99. I think that has gotten some positive impressions here.

Neuromancer is also up for $1.99. The Lies of Locke Lamora is $1.99. Anathem is $1.99. The Fireman by Joe Hill is $1.99. Genghis: Birth of an Empire is $2.99

You could read the summaries for some of those.

gatling

The Princess Diarist. I am kind of surprised how emotional I am reading Carrie Fisher's books. Its like it hadn't hit me until now.

Zen Mind Beginner's mind. I read this once a year and it felt like it was time. Recalibrating my way of thinking and stressors.

Mistborn Original Trilogy - Just going through them again between newer series. Has some fun parts that remind me of how it feels being an insecure and sometimes untrusting person from time to time due to past experiences.

legend166

What genres do you like?

I see a Natural History of Dragons up there for $2.99. I think that has gotten some positive impressions here.

Neuromancer is also up for $1.99. The Lies of Locke Lamora is $1.99. Anathem is $1.99. The Fireman by Joe Hill is $1.99. Genghis: Birth of an Empire is $2.99

Great, I'll look them up. Thanks!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
What genres do you like?

Seconding the recommendations for The Lies of Locke Lamora and A Natural History of Dragons.

6452798.jpg

Command and Control by Eric Shlosser

It turns out the most dangerous nuclear weapons for the United States weren't those kept by the Soviet Union - they were, and are, America's own bombs. This book is terrifying. (It was one of Dan Carlin's sources for his recent Hardcore History episode.)

34392845.jpg

I'm also reading A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron because I need something light and happy to take my mind off accidental nuclear annihilation.

Dec

Just came here to post this. I've never really dug into Christie before, but I'm really impressed with the tale she has weaved so far. I've tried to piece things together and I just don't think I'm anywhere near the ballpark. I'll absolutely delve into her other works based on this one so far

There are many good ones.

And Then There Were None is a great place to go afterwards. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is another classic.

Paganmoon

You're over thinking it. Its not about being liberal but using science to control the population and guide human evolution. Read the sequel.(or don't as its pretty awful)

Maybe I am, but it still felt very odd to me. It was actually strange enough that I've put off reading the sequels.

The Argus

61qEq7s02uL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Almost finished with this. It's like Cormac McCarthy wrote Moby Dick. So dark and twisted, yet beautifully written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom