• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:
aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Plasticine Live Undead
whatevermort: The Explorer

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Non-western literature
Novels with great world building
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature
Post-apocalpytic Books
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

ryseing

Trying to read Annihilation. Not feeling it so far. Just something about it... I dunno.

I devoured Station Eleven last week though. Incredibly entertaining book. Must read IMO.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Finishing up Acceptance.
Probably going to read some non fiction next.

"In true blood" or "The Looming Tower"

Piecake

This looks really interesting. Please let me know how it is when you're done. Specifically, that it's not too clinical.

Will do. He is a historian and not an economist, so I am expecting something that actually deals with societal causes and effects rather than a straight economic history.

This month has been my slowest for reading in the last two years. New job with longer hours, visiting family and friends, and spending a lot more time with my son. It's worth it, but I finished exactly one book for the entire month. I'm over halfway through two others, so I guess December will even out.

ShaneB

Still debating what to read next. My goal this year was set at 45, and I'm at 44. So one more, and then I can take it a bit easier and maybe something longer over the christmas break.

So I started Blood Meridian, but then couldn't pick it back up for almost a week because I was busy. Now I don't know if I can read Cormac McCarthy right now. Might saved it for a later date.

obin_gam

I just cant seem to finish Kings "Revival".
It's just so goddamned boring.

I think I will try out The Dispossessed next. Seems interesting and I have never read a true "utopia" story. (I'll take suggestions of these as well)

Cade

Reading Lansdale's Prisoner 489 last month got me in the mood for some more of his work.

based purely off this cover i had to look this up

it sounds amazing please let me know what you think

Although no kindle edition is a bummer.

I'm going to sit down and finally read all of A Song of Ice and Fire before the next season of GoT

It's gonna happen, I swear. 200 pages into A Game of Thrones now

FatalT

Banned
I finished The Maze Runner this morning and then went immediately on to read The Scorch Trials. I just finished that one about 30 minutes ago and I can't remember the last time I read through a whole book in a single day. I'm starting on The Death Cure now!

MrMuscle

Working my way thru Vince Flynns series about Mitch Rapp on Audiobook. I love Jack Reacher and fortunately Mitch Rapp does a good job keeping me entertained.

Right now im half way thru Separation of power.

51wQQHkSQxL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I finished The Maze Runner this morning and then went immediately on to read The Scorch Trials. I just finished that one about 30 minutes ago and I can't remember the last time I read through a whole book in a single day. I'm starting on The Death Cure now!

They're pretty breezy reads. After finding out it existed when recommending the first book in the series, I've just started reading Spell Or High Water by Scott Meyer, the sequel to Off To Be The Wizard. I enjoyed the first one well enough, so hopefully this one's decent too. There's a third book out next year too apparently.

Grimløck;141086008 said:
godspeed. i think i got to half of book four before i got burnt out.

I've read the first book previously, but got sidetracked halfway through the second one. I'm determined to finish this so I can also be one of those people that frowns on just the TV watchers

Ashes

Banned
Repost from end of last thread.
I just ordered a Kindle Paperwhite, super excited. I have used older Kindles but never with the built-in light.

Devastatingly simple prose and excellently thought out. Very good novel in my view.

#

Same goal as last month. I'm going to try and read a few books this month.

Ratrat

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

Kind of love it so far. 250 pages in.

I'm never going to be able to read 50 books in a year. Only read 45 in 2013 and 2012. This year I'm lucky to finish 40.

pa22word

My first Hemingway book. About 100 pages in and really loving it, his descriptions of the world and setting are awe-inspiring stuff.

About 40 pages in atm.

First thought: after looking at the backflap...damn gibson got old o_o

Second thought: still just as crazy with his descriptions as always, and I see myself pouring over this book for a few weeks before I fully understand wtf is going on in it, and I really wouldn't have it any other way ;)

On deck:
Bought the set a while ago but am finally getting around to it due to the fact that HBO is doing something with it and I want to read the books before the show comes out and inevitably ruins some of the charm of discovery and use of imagination inherent when reading a new book, especially one from someone like Asimov.

I just cant seem to finish Kings "Revival".
It's just so goddamned boring.

I think I will try out The Dispossessed next. Seems interesting and I have never read a true "utopia" story. (I'll take suggestions of these as well)

The characters and settings resonated with me well in Revival, but take my word for it, the ending is very much worth it in this one. One of the most insane things I've read in a king book since the end of The Stand.

Bazza

US-cover-Fools-Assassin1.jpg

I finished this over the weekend. My enjoyment of the book was probably around the same level as the Farseer Trilogy.
From the half way point in the book my assumptions of how things might turn out were about 50% correct, So happy the fool is not dead.

Molly death was tragic, really felt for Fitz in the chapter where he finds her dead in the garden, While I quite like how the Fitz books tend to be from his point of view only, I think the addition of chapters from Bee added quite alot to the story especially this particular part of the book.

The reuniting of Fitz and the Fool was just brutal, the point where its clear that the dream/vision Bee has about the pale person dying is another white I was all ready for a proper reunion but nope, something far more dramatic was in store.

As for Wolf Father I cannot wait to find out what he is, clearly he is more than just memory's and its does not seem to be Nighteyes simply living on in Fitz, my crazy prediction (if you assume that the consciousness of the people in the world live on in the "skill river" after death) is that because of the changes he went through being linked with Fitz when he died he was not just a regular wolf, and therefore is able to reach out.

The thing I'm puzzling over most about Wolf Father is that if he is sentient and isn't just memory's why does he not make himself known to Fitz like he did Bee.

The last couple of chapters were quite predictable but a great setup for the next book, I cant see Tom Badgerlock featuring in the next 2 books, I think we are going to see Fitzchivalry Farseer return from the shadows. I feel sorry for those who kidnapped his daughter blood will be spilled.

What did frustrate me is that Fitz did not ask who he slept with to have a child, that question would have probably clarified that it is his son in a different way and that he didn't conceive the child himself which would have clarified if it was Bee who was being referred to, and if so is she a girl or boy and if she is a girl then why are the whites that have been the focus in the dreams/visions end up being the opposite sex when they actually happen, for instance the dream Bee had where she said a white man (who i presumed the Fool at the time) would be found under a butterfly wing turned out to be a female and the books bad guys on a hunt for a pale skinned boy instead of a girl.

I just hope now that the next book is released 1st half of 2015.

Next on my list is the Time Odyssey series by Steven Baxter and Arthur C. Clarke.

Nymerio

40158.jpg

The first one was nice enough and I didn't know what else to read, so I started this. I'm enjoying it so far.

Finished Sphere by Michael Creighton. It was my first Creighton book and I really enjoyed it. It was a pretty fast read and once it got going it was pretty hard to put down.

Now I'm reading A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami. Another first read of an author for me. I'm about a third of the way through and I'm really liking it so far. I really like the oddness of the man in the black suit so far, and I'm hoping for more of that oddness.

Kaladin

Finally! I finished Patrick Rothfuss's The Name Of The Wind. This book has been on my list since it came out and I'm happy to say it met my expectations. Great story and I can tell Rothfuss is a writer I'll be reading for a while. Kvothe is a very intriguing character....can't wait to start Day 2 of his story.

The-Name-of-the-Wind---Mainstream-cover-for-AMAZON-RGB-710572.jpg

Moving on to....

William Gibson - The Peripheral

and....

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Book 1: The Final Empire

Mistborn-cover.jpg

Mr.Swag

Banned
I see alot of people reading that Gibson book.

For enc1102 we had to read burning chrome once and I liked it. Is it written similar to that short?

Ironically, I started working for Barnes & Noble in October and haven't finished a book since then. My 40% discount starts today though so I'll be picking some stuff up.

I started Revival but I just can't get into it. I'm only about 40 pages in so far. :( This never happens to me with King's books.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
51%2Bnk%2BBLQfL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I finished up The Widow's House by Daniel Abraham, which was... okay. It had some great moments, nice character and plot developments, but it felt like most of the characters besides Clara were treading water for most of the novel, and then the book just seemed to end. Still, an 'okay' Daniel Abraham novel is still head-and-shoulders above most of the rest of the field.

Now, onto:

1vNY2HVl.jpg

Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

Believe it or not, I've never read Asimov. With the announcement of the HBO adaptation, I picked up the first book and was surprised by how quick and readable the first novella was. Definitely interested in more.

Starting Wool. So far it's not bad. I do like how the first section has you thinking one thing and then it goes and turns it around on you entirely. I like being surprised when I read so that was a great turn.

wool-372011-fan-casting-if-wool-were-the-next-big-sci-fi-flick.jpeg

Kaladin

51%2Bnk%2BBLQfL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I finished up The Widow's House by Daniel Abraham, which was... okay. It had some great moments, nice character and plot developments, but it felt like most of the characters besides Clara were treading water for most of the novel, and then the book just seemed to end. Still, an 'okay' Daniel Abraham novel is still head-and-shoulders above most of the rest of the field.

That's on my list after Mistborn. Glad it turned out good for you, I expect some slow build since he's writing this as an epic fantasy series.

bengraven

I finished this over the weekend. My enjoyment of the book was probably around the same level as the Farseer Trilogy.
From the half way point in the book my assumptions of how things might turn out were about 50% correct, So happy the fool is not dead.

Molly death was tragic, really felt for Fitz in the chapter where he finds her dead in the garden, While I quite like how the Fitz books tend to be from his point of view only, I think the addition of chapters from Bee added quite alot to the story especially this particular part of the book.

The reuniting of Fitz and the Fool was just brutal, the point where its clear that the dream/vision Bee has about the pale person dying is another white I was all ready for a proper reunion but nope, something far more dramatic was in store.

As for Wolf Father I cannot wait to find out what he is, clearly he is more than just memory's and its does not seem to be Nighteyes simply living on in Fitz, my crazy prediction (if you assume that the consciousness of the people in the world live on in the "skill river" after death) is that because of the changes he went through being linked with Fitz when he died he was not just a regular wolf, and therefore is able to reach out.

The thing I'm puzzling over most about Wolf Father is that if he is sentient and isn't just memory's why does he not make himself known to Fitz like he did Bee.

The last couple of chapters were quite predictable but a great setup for the next book, I cant see Tom Badgerlock featuring in the next 2 books, I think we are going to see Fitzchivalry Farseer return from the shadows. I feel sorry for those who kidnapped his daughter blood will be spilled.

What did frustrate me is that Fitz did not ask who he slept with to have a child, that question would have probably clarified that it is his son in a different way and that he didn't conceive the child himself which would have clarified if it was Bee who was being referred to, and if so is she a girl or boy and if she is a girl then why are the whites that have been the focus in the dreams/visions end up being the opposite sex when they actually happen, for instance the dream Bee had where she said a white man (who i presumed the Fool at the time) would be found under a butterfly wing turned out to be a female and the books bad guys on a hunt for a pale skinned boy instead of a girl.

I just hope now that the next book is released 1st half of 2015.

Next on my list is the Time Odyssey series by Steven Baxter and Arthur C. Clarke.

Found myself pushed to read your spoilers. Glad I did. Sounds like typical Fitz and the Fool. I might wait until book 2 is out before I read this, so I'll have something to jump to right after reading Fool's Assassin, yet still have something in the future to look forward to (book 3). Just not sure that the major spoiler you're talking about is worth reading. The last chapters of Fool's Fate were all about that relationship and him finally getting what he wants - I really love those chapters. Seeing it tragically torn from him forever...damn...

Finishing Annihilation (comic) omnibus. Hoping to get through The Widow's Quest before the holiday because I have the Southern Reach trilogy waiting.

Also my copy of Legion: Skin Deep shipped~ so looking forward to that as well. + thousands of pages of comics

Little Failure from the author of Super Sad True Love Story. He immigrated from the USSR to the US in the late 70s and has a pretty unique outlook.

Also reading Xi Jinping's The Governance of China.

mu cephei

the-melancholy-of-mechagirl-by-catherynne-m-valente-492x750.jpg

I could just read Valente's writing forever.

Wow, that cover is gorgeous!

I loved Bee :) And I thought it was great how Molly was done.
However several other characters - Kettriken, Chade, etc - were barely there, and I hope we see more of them in the next books. I agree Wolf Father is really intriguing, and your prediction makes sense. But yeah, the ending was hella frustrating.

Regarding the stuff in your last paragraph, the Fool has made it quite clear he wouldn't answer that kind of thing, and probably wouldn't look at it in those terms anyway; Bee is his child in the way of his kind. But the stuff about the male/ female mixing up could be Hobb making the point that so far as white prophets go, the sex is pretty much irrelevant/ not definable/ changeable...well, we'll see.

Regarding 'tragically torn from him forever' - well, no. If you want to know
most of the book is dedicated to Fitz and Molly living happily ever after

I started Revival but I just can't get into it. I'm only about 40 pages in so far. :( This never happens to me with King's books.

I found the first 100 pages of Revival pretty dull. The next 100 were more interesting. I'm enjoying it well enough, but I hope the last 100 are better.

Cade

For Kindle friends into the Expanse series, the fourth one, Cibola Burn is only $3.25 on Kindle right now. A far cry from the $13 I paid six months ago, but alas. Here's the link:
Cibola Burn on Amazon

ShaneB

I found the first 100 pages of Revival pretty dull. The next 100 were more interesting. I'm enjoying it well enough, but I hope the last 100 are better.

I loved Revival so much from start to finish!

Still stumped what to read next, just keep flipping through my kobo library.

mu cephei

I loved Revival so much from start to finish!

Still stumped what to read next, just keep flipping through my kobo library.

Yeah, I saw your five stars :) I'm not sure what's not working for me. Possibly my expectations were too high, you gave it 5/5, it's had great reviews and whatevermort said it was King's best in years. But I haven't given up on it yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom