• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother bear KILLS CUB and THEN ITSELF

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGMPR

Banned
Go ahead and blow up a few animal testing centres, that are used by cosmetics companies. I bet some are closer to you than china.

As a westerner it's hard to get to become overly critical of some of the worst treatments against animals without feeling like a hypocrite at some level. Their really is a huge price to pay for our creature comforts, and whilst recognising that certainly is a superior alternative to willful ignorance, taking the steps to remove those things in your life that are sourced in some part by the suffering of other living creatures is something almost all of us would find impossible. It's kind of why I feel like people who sit at the table and pray to their God for what's on their plate should maybe be thanking the animal along with their provider. Of course, food itself isn't a creature comfort, but on an individual level, we don't need to eat the flesh of another animal in order to survive. Hell, I often look at a mother duck and her ducklings and think "how cute" and a week later I'm ordering duck at the Chinese restaurant 5 meters away from the same man made canal I made the initial observation from.

I don't know what the answer is. Maybe being conscious of it and feeling genuine guilt whilst trying to even out our 'good quota' in other ways is the best most of us can ever do.

Sheik

This is actually horrific and makes me want to curl up into a ball and sob.

But the "fuck China" comments are unnecessary. There are just as inhumane practices and happenings in America and any other country out there.

Well, FUCK both of you too. Why blame a whole country when it's just some people doing it?

It's legal and there's a market for these "traditional remedies." Sure, not all of China is to blame, but if nothing is being done about backwards practices like these then China deserves to be criticized.

EDIT: Yes, I understand about how animals are treated in other countries as well, but at least they are turned into food or something at least somewhat useful. What China is doing doesn't actually help anyone.

Big-E

Horrible story. Living in China, I loose my fucking shit when people mention heat or cold air in their body. Lose my fucking mind. China is so fucking backwards still in so many areas.
As to the whole anthropomorphize thing, I think a lot of the times we humans think too much of ourselves and that something like killing your own to prevent untold torment is probably something that is not unique to us.

zoukka

I
EDIT: Yes, I understand about how animals are treated in other countries as well, but at least they are turned into food or something at least somewhat useful. What China is doing doesn't actually help anyone.

Cosmetics. They do not help anyone any more than bear bile.

pubba

Horrible story. Living in China, I loose my fucking shit when people mention heat or cold air in their body. Lose my fucking mind. China is so fucking backwards still in so many areas.

I totally agree. I've been here in Nanjing for a few months and have recently got bronchitis pretty bad. I went to the local clinic and they told me to 'drink hot water' and 'don't eat red food' wtf? Give me some antibiotics or something. My breath is rattling and I'm coughing up green shit but hey - here's some hot water.

Also fuck poverty that drives people to poach and torture animals.

Sometimes it is not only because of poverty, I mean maybe the workers at the farm but these places move a lot of money. A LOT. I think the problem is the market more than the farmers, if people still ask for these type of medicine there will be tortured animals.

I'm living here in Shanghai, I know some older generation (30 and above) are just getting adjusted and may still believe in TCM but the new generation, at least between my classmates and friends gives me a little bit of hope.

People sometimes forget that China 20 years ago was worst in some aspects. I'm not playing devil advocate, I also don't like a lot of things from here, but I do believe change will come, sadly it will take a long time. You guys should check ChinaSmack, usually anything that is trending in Weibo (the Chinese Twitter) can give you a perspective of "young" people mentality.

While the story is terrible and heartbreaking, the way the thread title was formatted was funny to me. Not sure why, I apologize if that offends anyone.

Irrational hatred to Chinese Culture is all I felt for a brief moment there, scary feeling.

The bears are fitted with an iron vest, as they often try to kill themselves by hitting their stomach as they are unable to bear the pain.

My god. A total lack of empathy. This is terrifying.

Sometimes it is not only because of poverty, I mean maybe the workers at the farm but these places move a lot of money. A LOT. I think the problem is the market more than the farmers, if people still ask for these type of medicine there will be tortured animals.

I'm living here in Shanghai, I know some older generation (30 and above) are just getting adjusted and may still believe in TCM but the new generation, at least between my classmates and friends gives me a little bit of hope.

People sometimes forget that China 20 years ago was worst in some aspects. I'm not playing devil advocate, I also don't like a lot of things from here, but I do believe change will come, sadly it will take a long time. You guys should check ChinaSmack, usually anything that is trending in Weibo (the Chinese Twitter) can give you a perspective of "young" people mentality.

From my experience, a lot of youngsters in China are simply apathetic about animal rights, but like you said are simultaneously not at all into old-school "folk medicine". So hopefully, the demand will naturally come down with time, stopping these inhumane practices as they cease to be profitable.

UrbanRats

On the other hand I kind of expect most people, if they had been in the same exact situation, would've lost their shit in a similar manner, so it seem possible the line blurs here.

That and the suicide by wall crashing. Horrible and disgusting practice though.

The article also states the bears have to wear iron vests because they try to kill themselves, so I don't think the line of reasoning in the article is unbelievable at all. Especially as she killed herself right after.

To be clear, i'm not arguing against an animal going bat shit insane and killing themselves.
I'm arguing against the "saving its cub from such a life", because it seems too much of a complicated reasoning for a bear.

hteng

Banned
lax animal abuse laws, this has been going for centuries, its like whaling in Japan, it's tradition but shit has to stop, we have better medicine nowadays, scientific proven as well. Fuck these farmers. I'm chinese and I fucking hate people abusing animals.

From my experience, a lot of youngsters in China are simply apathetic about animal rights, but like you said are simultaneously not at all into old-school "folk medicine". So hopefully, the demand will naturally come down with time, stopping these inhumane practices as they cease to be profitable.

Well I'm talking about friends from 18 to 28, and maybe because Shanghai is a metropolis they have a better sense of awareness but some of them show a completely different point of view compared to some old teachers I have that makes me wonder how different it was before so you don't question anything and just accept some traditions even is there are proofs that they are harmful.

To be clear, i'm not arguing against an animal going bat shit insane and killing themselves.
I'm arguing against the "saving its cub from such a life", because it seems too much of a complicated reasoning for a bear.

I dunno.
Killing one's young when it is unlikely to survive is a pretty common behavior throughout the animal kingdom. Most mammals also experience emotions, more-so if you're a relatively complex mammal like the bear, so if you add these two behaviors you more or less gets the "kills the cubs so that it won't suffer".

This sensationalist article doesn't mention any reliable source and the Wikipedia article is full of Citation Needed tags. Not very convincing.

Wazzy

Banned
Disgusting. I don't understand how these people can have such little empathy. Hopefully something will change in the future but I'm not seeing what will force them to change.

I've seen this happen with a chicken and her babies when I lived down the street from a family who owned a bunch of chickens and abandoned the home, leaving them behind. They started starving to death and I witnessed the mother pecking her babies to death. We were only able to save one.

Sheik

People don't give a fuck what happens to animals if the end result is food/clothing.

Which is so frustrating! Bleh. Also, not completely true. Occasionally people decide to care about certain causes such as shark fin soup.

Raonak

Banned
Holy shit there is so many horrible things in that story. when you think it can't get worse it does, then you read it again just to be sure. doesn't get any less distrubing. actually more, because you're sure you didn't misread it.

Dead Man

I am very dubious about that.
Might just be she was going fucking nuts due to her physical and psychological condition.
People always tend to anthropomorphize these stories.

Whatever the level of reasoning behind it, the behaviour is indicative of long term, sustained abuse.

bjb

Banned
Wait, how does the mother know to kill the child to end it's suffering and then off herself?

Seems to display a rather impressive set of cognitive functioning for a bear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom