• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

The highest margin the Tories have in a opinion poll is 12. Get that to fall a little and May won't have the 11 she wanted...

mo60

The orb international poll indicates to me that the UK conservatives are only going to get a slightly larger majority at this point even if they suck up a lot of the UKIP vote.They will likely end up getting around 350 seats with this result.

Looks like the Yougov poll wasn't an outlier.

We're through the looking glass, people.

May's campaign will have to restart next week. She's facing a Corbyn-lead Labour movement that is now snapping at her heels and she has no real answer to beyond "Corbyn's a lunatic!"

Which is a point I can empathise with, but it's abundantly clear that that isn't working.

And the Yougov poll:

5B1FZaI.png

RedShift

Hung parliament would be brilliant, but I think this is definitely one of those 'there can be no true suffering without hope' things.

Hazzuh

The thing about all of these (relatively) good polls for Labour is that they seem to be predicated on high (record?) youth turnout, does anyone believe that is going to happen?

The thing about all of these (relatively) good polls for Labour is that they seem to be predicated on high (record?) youth turnout, does anyone believe that is going to happen?

No, these are based on normal weightings AFAIK - there's been no adjustment to change the demographics mid-campaign.

Hi from British WrassleGAF

Code:
[IMG]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/p720x720/18699714_10158705370860048_514234328806943179_o.jpg?oh=68a6bd05c7fb1f857256faf1979f230c&oe=59B467F4[/IMG]

Orbis

My super unscientific predictor currently resolves to a Tory majority of between 38 and 64 (depending on the Swingometer used). I imagine things will level out closer to Thursday, I would guess the reaction to manifestos is dying off now.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Just keep reminding older people of the Dementia Tax and their lessening pensions under the Tories, hopefully they will lean Labour for safety sake.

Anecdotally all the youth in my circles are regular voters. All are either Labour/Lib Dem. Can't really do anything else to "do my part" to encourage voting, fortunately. Thought of trying canvassing but I'm socially awkward and can't pitch things to people.

Here's one projection I'm playing with:

40/36/10/4/2 (SNP 43% in Scotland) - weighting LDs in London and SE up to 12% each to reflect Yougov's regional polling.

If Corbyn and Labour can re-focus their media fire on Tory policy, I think getting the Tories to 40% is possible.

Southport loses on swing here, but it's close and Southport Lib Dems are one of the best campaign teams in the country. Considering that this represents a hold of Carshalton, I think RP would be held too...

Don't forget that the DUP may lose one or two seats this election - one to Alliance, one to SF.

So suppose the LDs hold all their seats including Richmond Park (difficult but not impossible). By the numbers above that would mean the Tories were short 5. DUP have, say, 7 seats, so that means the Tories+DUP get a majority of nine. (The Government gains 7 MPs, the Opposition loses 7 MPs)

To get rid of a majority of nine, the LDs would need to win five seats from the Tories, maybe:

Twickenham
Lewes
Eastleigh
Bath
Kingston and Surbiton

And boom, Tories lose a workable majority.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
CON: 44% (-2)
LAB: 38% (+4)
LDEM: 7% (-)
UKIP: 5% (-2)

(via @ORB_Int / 24 - 25 May)

Looks like Tory lead is about 7 percentage points at the moment, averaging what we're having in.

Par Score

His comment was:

"I think there's no doubt whatsoever that radical extremists, terrorists, with their ideology, feed off, and use as a recruiting sergeant, foreign policy mistakes, and there has been no bigger foreign policy mistake in my lifetime than the Iraq War."

"However, there is a subtle and very important difference when you then start to say that somehow that terrorism is caused by it."

"When all said and done, that extreme ideology predates 9/11, predates the war in Iraq and the War on Terror. It instead is something which is utterly independent of it. And it's wrong to suggest - and I subtly suggest this - that terrorism is somehow caused by our foreign policy or anybody else's - even when I am critical of that foreign policy."​

The issue is I'm not sure what that subtle difference could be?

A position that "Oh, terrorists undoubtedly use our dodgy foreign policy decisions to drive recruitment for terrorism, but that doesn't mean our dodgy foreign policy positions cause any terrorism!" seems rather untenable.

Nobody, certainly not even Corbyn, is suggesting that Islamist terrorism only exists because of our many interventionist fuckups, merely that those fuckups play a part in the causes of Islamist terrorism and should be considered as part of any broader solution to Islamist terrorism.

Also the last paragraph is just bonkers, and it's an act of gross historical vandalism the Tories are guilty of too. We've been fucking up the Middle East for a long fucking time before Iraq or 9/11, so to act like any history of Islamist terror should start there is absurd. It's like taking the Brighton Bombing as the start of The Troubles and trying to work from there, you're ignoring hundreds of years of British/Irish history and wondering why nothing makes sense.

Farron's argument is that we didn't cause the ideology that drives modern terrorists via interventions in Libya/Iraq/Syria and so on. You'd still have terrorists wanting to kill Brits.

But he does believe that foreign policy has been a recruitment tool.

That's not controversial at all. Overall there's - as Farron says - subtle but important differences between what the Lib Dems think and what Corbyn thinks.

I do wish he'd come out with that yesterday. It's become apparent this campaign that Farron's at his best when he's given a bit of time to come up with a comment, rather than doing the standard press routine of trying to come up with a tabloid's byline.

The logic does go further than that. Lib Dems don't believe that intervention is always a bad idea. We pressed for intervention in Bosnia. Corbyn's speech was very anti-interventionist in tone - which lead to questions about what it'd take for folks to go in.

Standard Liberal problem - a view that takes more than five seconds to explain is a view the press don't care about.

Ashes

Banned
I'm glad you see the 'subtle' difference between your party leader's position and a 'lunatic.' And I like that this is the most measured response he could give.

Oh come on, I don't think Corbyn's a lunatic. I think he's a member of the so-called "looney left" - but that's beside the point. (I think if I was a Tory and looked at Corbyn, I'd think he was a lunatic - such is the difference in beliefs)

Corbyn and the Lib Dems have agreed on the problems with UK foreign policy for a long time, but he doesn't advocate intervention that often, whereas we believe intervention for humanitarian reasons is right, and he has a more pacifist view of international politics and the use of force, whereas we believe that there can be situations where force is justified.

Yup. I regret getting so adamant yesterday now - I should have just waited until Farron got a chance for a proper response to the speech as given. I'm too defensive - he's from my neck of the woods and a similarly poor background, so I'm a bit more rabid to his defence than other Lib Dems.

fwiw corbo's position on intervention, from what ive seen, has been quite consistent: he's for it, so long as the diplomatic channels have been exhausted and it doesn't consist mostly of "bomb the fuck outta them and let the deities sort them out". Wants, like, a long term plan with clear goals, UN auth and stuff.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
hey look, Amber Rudd is being a nasty piece of shit again

'Vote Corbyn, get more terrorism': Home Secretary Amber Rudd goes on the warpath warning that a Labour win would risk fresh atrocities in Britain

Britain can expect more terrorist atrocities if Jeremy Corbyn becomes Prime Minister, Home Secretary Amber Rudd has claimed.

He had ‘boasted’ about opposing anti-terrorist measures, there was ‘no evidence he will keep people safe’ and he would ‘sign our security away,’ she said in an interview with The Mail on Sunday.

Asked if she was suggesting it would mean a greater risk of another terrorist atrocity if Mr Corbyn became PM, Ms Rudd stressed she was not linking it to the Manchester bomb, but added: ‘It absolutely does, yes.’

fyi this is what using a terrorist attack to bolster your failing campaign looks like

Faddy

Banned
So Amber Rudd is saying no one can criticise current policies for the latest attack but she can criticise future policies for future attacks.

gun_haver

fyi this is what using a terrorist attack to bolster your failing campaign looks like

i think that means you, huw_dawson.

i dunno if this strategy is gonna work out as well for them as they assume it will, though. the polls have come in that the majority 'agree' with corbyn's (and fucking everyone else's) assessment that 'FOREIGN POLICY INFLUENCES TERRORISM' (highlighted to emulate headline effect on people who don't read but do vote). may attacking him, boris saying it was monstrous, and even farron coming out against it despite the second two having said the exact same thing fairly recently (dunno about may, has she?') made them look like idiots, and so in the barely conscious public's minds that people like rudd imagine they are appealing to, this might just sound like 'corbyn is still wrong though!!!', while the tide has shifted towards him on this issue due to headlines like may reducing police numbers and the aforementioned hypocrisy of the conservatives.

so i think, y'know, have at it. it's an interesting thing to start an election with absolutely no hope it will go your way, when the side you sympathise with puts up an actual fight, and you see the opposition kind of convulse like this, it's a funny thing.

It's midnight in Richmond Park.

Zac Goldsmith wakes up at his desk, screaming.

His campaign agent, busy preparing Zac's 2am snack, drops the toasting fork. "What's wrong!", they proclaim, alarmed.

Zac is sweating. He takes out a silk handkerchief and mops his brow.

"I had a horrible dream. Another Tory pulled the 'vote Labour, get terror' card. They were... they were desperate. It was horrible."

"There, there", his agent says, with an understanding smile. From the rack next to the mini-fridge they pull out a £200 bottle of wine, and pours the shaking Zac a glass. "It was just a dream. No Tory will ever try that old wheeze again."

Maledict

It doesn't work in metropolitan london. I'm not so sure about it not working in the areas of the country where they are looking for seats though. Like the 'jobs for boys and girls' comment, it shocks and appals us but plays extremely well to certain population groups I think.

"Vote Corbyn, get terror" is an awful campaign headline, though. We can debate if foreign policy and terror are linked until the cows come home, but there's a special brand of horrible for someone that links the opposition directly to acts of terror.

@Bonen no Max'd, a minority government would need May to slip three or four more points.

Are ICMResearch good?
It depends whether their results fit your agenda or not.
"Vote Corbyn, get terror" is an awful campaign headline, though. We can debate if foreign policy and terror are linked until the cows come home, but there's a special brand of horrible for someone that links the opposition directly to acts of terror.

@Bonen no Max'd, a minority government would need May to slip three or four more points.
I was hoping we'd see a more grown-up and considered campaign from all sides following the shocking events of this week, but no..

gun_haver

I was hoping we'd see a more grown-up and considered campaign from all sides following the shocking events of this week, but no..

eh man y'know, we have been seeing a grown up campaign from one particular side. i'm not even gonna vote labour, but if there is a way to respond to an attack during an election campaign, that was it.

i dunno how much resistance i'll find to this idea here, might just be accepted, but the right do tend to reveal themselves as willing to stoop to any level when it comes to persuading an uneducated public to elect them so that they can enact their underlying, less sensationalist ideas. the reason the left is perceived as weak is because, in general, it doesn't go for the gutter headline and tries to encourage an element of nuance into the public discussion.

Spaghetti

Something must have really spooked the Conservatives if they're getting Rudd to make statements like that. They're either playing with fire, or using terrorism as a dead cat to avoid more talking about the dementia tax/other assorted domestic failings.

Something must have really spooked the Conservatives if they're getting Rudd to make statements like that. They're either playing with fire, or using terrorism as a dead cat to avoid more talking about the dementia tax/other assorted domestic failings.

The latter. Crosby wants no more discussion of policy this campaign - it's all "Corbyn is awful" and "Only we can deliver Brexit".

Maledict

From everything I've heard Crosby has basically zero influence in the campaign at this point. Theresa hates him so he's just left shut in a room. If he did have any influence that manifesto would never have gone out...

Moze

Banned
Are ICMResearch good?

ukpollingreport says that their polls tend to favour the Tories.

ICM for the Sun on Sunday has toplines of CON 46%(-1), LAB 32%(-1), LDEM 8%(-1), UKIP 5%(+1). Fieldwork was on Wednesday to Friday, and changes are since the ICM/Guardian poll conducted over last weekend. Changes here seem quite steady (ICM’s previous poll already showed a sharp narrowing of the lead). As I said earlier, ICM and ComRes tend to show the largest Tory leads because of their demographic based turnout model.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

Hi from British WrassleGAF

Code:
[IMG]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/p720x720/18699714_10158705370860048_514234328806943179_o.jpg?oh=68a6bd05c7fb1f857256faf1979f230c&oe=59B467F4[/IMG]

Massive "fuck the tories" chants at PROGRESS today. Really lovely stuff

Edit in case that reads as sarcastic: I am sincerely happy that people were chanting that

Spaghetti

The latter. Crosby wants no more discussion of policy this campaign - it's all "Corbyn is awful" and "Only we can deliver Brexit".

From everything I've heard Crosby has basically zero influence in the campaign at this point. Theresa hates him so he's just left shut in a room. If he did have any influence that manifesto would never have gone out...
Interesting. Crosby is a supreme bile-thrower so I figured he'd be behind it all, but it seems possibly not...

Interesting. Crosby is a supreme bile-thrower so I figured he'd be behind it all, but it seems possibly not...

Well I've heard from Aaron Bastani he said 3 hours ago on twitter that Crosby is 'now heading up Tory Campaign' and Paul Mason 2 hours ago on twitter was quoting someone who said that Crosby has 'endorsed a new strategy' for Theresa May.

Edit:
Apparently the guy previously was called Jim Messina

Ashes

Banned
"vote Corbyn, get more terrorism"

You best learn how to think for yourself, otherwise, somebody else will do the thinking for you.

Pandy

Jesus H Fuck. Is there a source/transcript for that interview? Because even though I deeply dislike Rudd I'm prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt where the Mail is involved.

EDIT: Seems legit, though the worst quotes aren't included in the little video summary. http://www.*****************/news/article-4548626/Home-Secretary-Amber-Rudd-goes-warpath.html

mo60

I think it's possible for her to win just a minority government with somewhere between 3.5 and 5 percent of the vote.

Syder

May calling a snap election and having their majority get shortened, rather than strengthened as first expected, would be victory enough for me. I never even flirted with the idea of getting my hopes up about Labour.

Strong and Stable needs to get tae fook.

Spaghetti

so is ther still a chance that labor may win?
There was never really a chance in the first place, but it's still looking likely for Labour to exceed expectations, give the Conservatives a fright, and possibly cost May her job if she doesn't get a large enough majority.

The days are numbered for Conservatives in Government, I think. An increasingly shaky record, mounting problems with numerous domestic issues, probably economic disaster incoming...

If they're having trouble with a guy like Corbyn, who they'd written off as easy pickings from day one, then they're absolutely fucked if Labour gets someone more organised and harder to smear, but keeps the same grassroots fire that gave Corbyn his bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom