• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming |OT| MCU's Sweet 16 - SPOILERS

Fuchsdh

there may be other villains who are bigger threats to their respective heroes and their respective universes but vulture was the easily the most imposing looking mcu villain that i've seen. great looking design.

Yeah I can see people being annoyed it's basically an "Iron Man villain" like most of the MCU at this point, but I do appreciate that it felt a lot more physics-bound and hulking—the scale difference between him and Spidey really worked well.

With the fur-trimmed pilot suit it's actually more "faithful" to the comics than a lot of the redesigns they do now as well.

Davide

Man this movie still holds up so well on multiple viewings, I might have liked it even more the second time and I can now say with more certainty it's my favourite of the MCU.

I watched Civil War last night and while it's very good Spider-Man's so much more entertaining. It also felt so jarring seeing Peter's first scene in CW, his personality seems so different. Less talkative and not even fazed by seeing Tony Stark.

I also watched the 2002 Spider-Man two days ago and Homecoming is definitely better while the other is still good as its own thing.

Man this movie still holds up so well on multiple viewings, I might have liked it even more the second time and I can now say with more certainty it's my favourite of the MCU.

I watched Civil War last night and while it's very good Spider-Man's so much more entertaining. It also felt so jarring seeing Peter's first scene in CW, his personality seems so different. Less talkative and not even fazed by seeing Tony Stark.

I also watched the 2002 Spider-Man two days ago and Homecoming is definitely better while the other is still good as its own thing.

I liked it more on my second viewing too :)

The movie still has some rough edges though. It's like they dialed down the angst a little too far. Just bump it up like 15%, Marvel!

Just had a buddy text me asking about Michelle's line in DC about Slaves building the monument there.

Apparently this is a controversy among conservatives saying that the writers of Spider-Man put in that line to intentionally put down Washington and make a "leftist statement".

Is anybody else getting crap like this?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Just had a buddy text me asking about Michelle's line in DC about Slaves building the monument there.

Apparently this is a controversy among conservatives saying that the writers of Spider-Man put in that line to intentionally put down Washington and make a "leftist statement".

Jesus Christ.

Seesaw15

Lol, no. Tell you buddy to get a sense of humor.

Next they'll be saying the Civil War wasn't about slavery

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I dont think this was to put Washington down, but I think that in combinition with the protestion is patriotic line by Miles Warren, it was indeed a statement, but I dont see anything wrong, since the movie is so diverse.

The line about protesting may be the bigger statement of course.

Loved it.

I don't know how I'd rank it against 2, I'm planning on rewatching it soon but it's definitely better than the rest easily.

Loved what they did for vulture, from such a bit villain into this guy, a relatable badass. Micheal keaton was great.

tbh I was pretty turned off when they said it was going to be young spidey, I never really cared about him when he was a kid but they totally pulled it off.

I liked how they updated the school setting and characters so it didn't feel like some 80's high school show with jocks and shit.

Zendaya was great, definitely my favorite non main character. Though personally I felt like she would have been a better Gwen Stacy than MJ, but that just might be how I feel from reading ultimate spiderman.

My only real complaint is that the trailers basically covered every combat scene.

Fhtagn

I thought that joke was clever because it was totally in character for her to say, and it also set people up to maybe not care so much that Spidey damages a famous American monument.

LotusHD

Banned

Is your friend one of the people complaining?

I enjoy this movie quite a lot and would probably give it a B+ or 8/10 but a few things I think that would have bumped it up a level

- Underdog by Spoon was a terrible, cliche choice for a music transition when he's walking to school. It's just WAY too on the nose and overused in Hollywood as a musical cue. Pensive silence as he walks from the train to the school would have been better with a less obvious musical cue after the first Flash scene if really needed. I get the feeling this transition tested poorly without the music they used though.

- Either have the decathlon team lose or Ned get hurt by the bomb. Something to give his decision to skip out more consequence

- Have Peter more upset with himself for putting people in harms way after his screw up at the ferry

- There's some Aunt May stuff missing according to Tomei on the press circuit. I don't know what they cut but the movie needed a little more May

- It needed a little more Michelle too. Maybe have a pep talk scene between her and Peter after Stark takes the suit

- Don't give Peter back the Stark suit at the end. Instead, have him download a backup of Karen and start assembling his own suit

- This is a minor nitpick but Peter's wardrobe could have been better. The nerdy graphic T was overdone. I'd expect more ill fitting, hand-me-down looking stuff

That's about it off the top of my head.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I'm kinda sad that Montana gets such a bit role only to be killed. It is interesting that they made him the Shocker like in Spectacular Spider-Man, if only for a little bit.

Raimi's spidey is just unlike any other superhero ever made . I felt attached to those characters in a way I did not for homecoming . The cast just came across as very one-dimensional in homecoming.

Spiderman isn't my favorite superhero and yet Raimi Spiderman just hit this perfect spot for me that no movie superhero(even with ones I technically like better: Bale & Keaton Batman)
had come near it until Wonder Woman.

Because MCU spidey missed the mark for lots of people.

It's pretty funny how easy it is to spot you as a hypocrite. You conveniently hide behind review scores when it suits you, such as in the last TDKR thread, but discount them whenever they don't line up with your worldview. Homecoming was well received regardless of what you think about it.

Hero

It's pretty funny how easy it is to spot you as a hypocrite. You conveniently hide behind review scores when it suits you, such as in the last TDKR thread, but discount them whenever they don't line up with your worldview. Homecoming was well received regardless of what you think about it.

This joker liked TDKR? Seriously?

entremet

I guess I'm not seeing the love for this film. Peter Parker/Spiderman feel gutted to fit the paint by the numbers MCU formula. The movie lacked urgency since Spiderman's motivations were rather weak. Why retcon Uncle Ben?! He's so crucial to Spiderman's character and motivations.

I like the MCU, but there's clearly a safe formula they follow. Good art divides. I'm guess I'm asking to much from these films, but it shows how great Raimi's take on the character was.

LionPride

Banned
I guess I'm not seeing the love for this film. Peter Parker/Spiderman feel gutted to fit the paint by the numbers MCU formula. The movie lacked urgency since Spiderman's motivations were rather weak. Why retcon Uncle?! He's so crucial to Spiderman's character and motivations.

I like the MCU, but there's clearly a safe formula they follow. Good art divides. I'm guess I'm asking to much from these films, but it shows how great Raimi's take on the character was.
How did they retcon Uncle Ben?

Cause uh...they didn't. At all. And Peter's motivations were pretty solid for being a 15 year old with superpowers for less than a full year who got thrown into a bigger situation than he needed.

xxracerxx

Wait...people think Uncle Ben doesn't exist in the MCU because they didn't tread back through the origin story?

Wait...people think Uncle Ben doesn't exist in the MCU because they didn't tread back through the origin story?
It's confusing in the movie. He was there but then they dropped it for something of unequal value and called it a day. Now people wonder why others don't conisder this a good spider-man.

Drama matters.

LionPride

Banned
Over the last few years I've accepted that people don't pay attention then complain when shit that was mentioned or acknowledged in the movie/tv show happens and it's just how life happens

*shrug*

Fhtagn

I guess I'm not seeing the love for this film. Peter Parker/Spiderman feel gutted to fit the paint by the numbers MCU formula. The movie lacked urgency since Spiderman's motivations were rather weak. Why retcon Uncle Ben?! He's so crucial to Spiderman's character and motivations.

What Uncle Ben retcon? It clearly happened, but after 6 other Spider-Man movies in recent memory they trust you to understand the references to it in both Civil War and Homecoming without needing it explicitly said or shown again.

Quick

Banned
Just because Uncle Ben wasn't mentioned explicitly doesn't mean he's been retconned.

Not everything has to be explained point blank. In its simplest form, we're told that Aunt May (and by extension Peter) went through something bad recently when Peter asked Ned to keep his secret, because he doesn't want to her to worry "not after what happened", or something along those lines.

But for a majority of people, we know what happened. It doesn't need to be shown explicitly each time.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Just because Uncle Ben wasn't mentioned explicitly doesn't mean he's been retconned.

Not everything has to be explained point blank. In its simplest form, we're told that Aunt May (and by extension Peter) went through something bad recently when Peter asked Ned to keep his secret, because he doesn't want to her to worry "not after what happened", or something along those lines.

But for a majority of people, we know what happened. It doesn't need to be shown explicitly each time.

During the scene when Aunt May and Peter are trying out suits for the Homecoming dance, there's a shot of a closet full of suits. Why would a single woman living alone have a bunch of men's suits?

As stated above, Uncle Ben isn't retconned, but the clues are there.

I enjoy this movie quite a lot and would probably give it a B+ or 8/10 but a few things I think that would have bumped it up a level

- Underdog by Spoon was a terrible, cliche choice for a music transition when he's walking to school. It's just WAY too on the nose and overused in Hollywood as a musical cue. Pensive silence as he walks from the train to the school would have been better with a less obvious musical cue after the first Flash scene if really needed. I get the feeling this transition tested poorly without the music they used though.

- Either have the decathlon team lose or Ned get hurt by the bomb. Something to give his decision to skip out more consequence

- Have Peter more upset with himself for putting people in harms way after his screw up at the ferry

- There's some Aunt May stuff missing according to Tomei on the press circuit. I don't know what they cut but the movie needed a little more May

- It needed a little more Michelle too. Maybe have a pep talk scene between her and Peter after Stark takes the suit

- Don't give Peter back the Stark suit at the end. Instead, have him download a backup of Karen and start assembling his own suit

- This is a minor nitpick but Peter's wardrobe could have been better. The nerdy graphic T was overdone. I'd expect more ill fitting, hand-me-down looking stuff

That's about it off the top of my head.

Even though I generally liked the movie, this is something that irks me soooooo much with Homecoming and Marvel movies as a whole. "Nick Fury is dead... just kidding he's gonna live as a hermit now". "The Avengers are no longer a cohesive group and have become enemies... naahh Captain America mailed Tony a sweet make up letter and Tony smiled". I swear to god there's a committee somewhere in Marvel that explicitly filters out any big emotional moments because they're so goddamn chickenshit of making their audience feel bad.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Even though I generally liked the movie, this is something that irks me soooooo much with Homecoming and Marvel movies as a whole. "Nick Fury is dead... just kidding he's gonna live as a hermit now". "The Avengers are no longer a cohesive group and have become enemies... naahh Captain America mailed Tony a sweet make up letter and Tony smiled". I swear to god there's a committee somewhere in Marvel that explicitly filters out any big emotional moments because they're so goddamn chickenshit of making their audience feel bad.

You must have watched a different movie, because if you think Tony and Steve are on good terms at the end of Civil War, I don't know what to tell you.

Davide

Next they'll be saying the Civil War wasn't about slavery

Civil War wasn't actually fought over slavery

MCU Civil War

How did they retcon Uncle Ben?

Cause uh...they didn't. At all. And Peter's motivations were pretty solid for being a 15 year old with superpowers for less than a full year who got thrown into a bigger situation than he needed.
Maybe it was obvious but I also thought on a second viewing May telling Peter to stay away from anything like the ATM robbery was a reference to Uncle Ben.

LionPride

Banned
What CW did I watch, where Tony and Steve ain't exactly on the best of terms come the end and he really still doesn't trust the man who is protecting the person who killed his parents?

Davide

Cap is still considered a war criminal in Homecoming and it looks like he hasn't been doing too well in Infinity War.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I saw it over the weekend... I thought it was the best spider-man movie of all time.
I liked how the main theme of the movie was basically "does spiderman really deserve to be a super hero", which is something that I've discussed IRL many times. I laughed plenty of times during the movie and it was cool having Tony Stark in the movie as well. Vulture was also cool and I like how they tied it back to the avengers movies with the weapons and the avengers tower.

Fhtagn

"The Avengers are no longer a cohesive group and have become enemies... naahh Captain America mailed Tony a sweet make up letter and Tony smiled".

Watch it again, he absolutely does not smile.

It's on Netflix. I just watched it again. He grimaces through the whole letter and ends on an ambiguous but clearly conflicted note. It's more of an "I admire your chutzpah at the absurdity of you sending me this letter" kind of face. No smile.

- Underdog by Spoon was a terrible, cliche choice for a music transition when he's walking to school. It's just WAY too on the nose and overused in Hollywood as a musical cue.

I loved that moment. I guess I haven't heard it/noticed it in any other movies, and since they never play any of the lyrics, they leave the audience to get it if they know the song.

xxracerxx

It's confusing in the movie. He was there but then they dropped it for something of unequal value and called it a day. Now people wonder why others don't conisder this a good spider-man.

Drama matters.

Marvel had enough sense not to go over that whole shit again, most of the viewers know that his Uncle Ben died.

You're just making shit up to serve your opinion

nomis

get a load of this spatula guy

Some people need to be spoon fed everything.

Spatula-fed. DRAMA MATTERS I NEED TO SEE UNCLE BEN DIE IN A SEPIA TONED FLASHBACK

Young teenage boy lives with single aunt

me: CLEARLY there's no implicit tragedy behind this odd pairing

get a load of this spatula guy

Spatula-fed. DRAMA MATTERS I NEED TO SEE UNCLE BEN DIE IN A SEPIA TONED FLASHBACK

Young teenage boy lives with single aunt

me: CLEARLY there’s no implicit tragedy behind this odd pairing

plus, you know its just the most well known origin story besides Jesus

nomis

During the scene when Aunt May and Peter are trying out suits for the Homecoming dance, there's a shot of a closet full of suits. Why would a single woman living alone have a bunch of men's suits?

As stated above, Uncle Ben isn't retconned, but the clues are there.

maybe Aunt May hasn’t been able to let go of Ben’s belongings because she hasn’t been able to fully process the loss, so she never touched his clothes in the closet

Top Bottom