• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomba - Wii U Basic with Nintendoland for $300 at Best Buy

Wiz

Before I jump on this I have a couple of questions. Is it possible to buy the wii u pad charge cradle that comes with the deluxe version separately? If so how much?

Also, is this offer available in stores or online only?

You can buy both the Charging Cradle and Gamepad Stand together for $19.99 at most retailers (Gamestop, BestBuy, etc.) and on Amazon. I'm pretty sure the Nintendo Online Store sells them too.

Kacho

I'm sure we'll be seeing similar deals with other retailers. Gotta move those Basic models somehow.

I don't know what Nintendo was thinking.

They're releasing a new console with a control scheme that is every bit as unconventional as the one for the Wii and they refused to properly showcase this feature by including a pack-in game on their most basic SKU?

I don't care how much more meat NintendoLand has in relation to Wii Sports -- you don't leave your new consumer base high & dry without a pack-in game on your most basic model, especially now that they've grown accustomed to such arrangements thanks to the Wii.

Just stupid.

Boney

Banned
I'd kinda get this seeing I prefer white over black. Not sure if over the extra trinkets and free money you get from dd

Eh, not in the states so whatevs

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I really feel like it should have launched at $300 with Nintendo Land packed in, even if that meant Nintendo was eating a good amount of money on each sale. I know that would have been a tough pill for them to swallow, but I really think this console has an uphill battle, and I would have rather not seen it falter out the gate, cuz I just love playing games on it so damn much! Do not fail me, Wii U! I want to play games on you for many years to come!

I disagree

I bought it with the deluxe but i would have paid full price the game is content packed and has great gameplay throughout

Well id put it inline with wiisports resort

No.

Wii Sports Resort is Carnival Games compared to Nintendo Land.

I don't get how people can actually believe this. Are we playing the same game?

Again, I'm not trying to make a case for the Wii U. But I viciously disagree that Nintendo Land should be discount priced. So much absurd fun in groups.

LiK

To be honest, I've never understood the necessity of multiple SKUs for consoles anyway. Make coupons for "bundles" and go from there.

I get limited edition special design consoles, but having differnet models seems silly and needlessly confusing.

Perceived value imo. Make the masses go for the seemingly cheaper one because it's a better value. Even if the price difference is not that great some people will still buy the "cheaper" SKU.

jwhit28

I don't know what Nintendo was thinking.

They're releasing a new console with a control scheme that is every bit as unconventional as the one for the Wii and they refused to properly showcase this feature by including a pack-in game on both SKUs?

It's a touchsceen. Almost everyone has one in their pocket right now.

Before I jump on this I have a couple of questions. Is it possible to buy the wii u pad charge cradle that comes with the deluxe version separately? If so how much?

Also, is this offer available in stores or online only?

I think I've seen the charge cradle for $19.99 at target and a few other places.

LQX

Wow, has a new console ever received a free game this soon after release? I did not believe before that it was bombing but this....

Mrbob

Wow, has a new console ever received a free game this soon after release? I did not believe before that it was bombing but this....

Either Nintendo is shipping a lot or the Wii U is not selling as much as Nintendo hopes. My local Best Buy was flooding with both models a couple days before Christmas.

Nintendo needs to do something to try and pick things up.

Personally, can't wait for my Wii U Ambassador bonus.

o_O

Love how people shit on Nintendo Land without playing it.

My Nintendoland is still in shrink wrap. :cool:

netBuff

o_O

Love how people shit on Nintendo Land without playing it.

It's just not that great a game. While fun in groups, how long does that last? At least I don't like to party around my TV screen, and the game is pretty much zero fun in singleplayer (or even with one other person).

LiK

It's just not that great a game. While fun in groups, how long does that last? At least I don't like to party around my TV screen, and the game is pretty much zero fun in singleplayer (or even with one other person).

I concur with this post. But if people love it, great.

Nintendo goes third party confirmed.

Nah. Too early to judge. But they did flub this one out of the gate. We'll have to wait until they fix the bugs and ship a really big IP to know how it is doing.

RPGCrazied

Better. Serious question, who would buy Nintendoland for $50 by itself? That's like buying Wii Sports.

Anyway, they need to get rid of the 8GB version, seeing as how after its all said and done you will only have like 4. That's not enough to do anything.

eXistor

Nintendo Land should be $20 max

I used to think so too, but then I played it (I know you did too, very curious to see why you don't think it's worth much), This is worth full price, there is an insane amount of content and Nintendo's magic touch is very prevalent here; games that are easy to play, hard to master. These games do not fuck around for the most part. There's quite a lot of depth in these games, but you have to play it more than once too see its billiance. I'm guessing a lot of people don't even give it that chance.

Better. Serious question, who would buy Nintendoland for $50 by itself? That's like buying Wii Sports.
I would. Again, Nintendo Land is not like Wii Sports at all, those were 3 fun little diversions (baseball and boxing were shit) and a fun enough pack-in. Nintendo Land is a full game. If you had to compare, I'd say Wii Sports Resort is closer, though imo Nintendo Land would still easily win out.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Not a bad first step.

Though hopefully they will start bundling in games that are actually decent.

Do people even know what they're talking about when they say these things?

Nintendo Land is excellent dawg.

First, multiplayer fun lasts a long time from my experience.

Second, single player is a lot of fun with all the different SP games, especially DK.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm stunned at how badly Nintendo underestimated the demand for the deluxe over the basic set. Pure stupidity.

Also, anybody saying Nintendoland should be under $50 is insane. Even after the crap I gave it after seeing it at E3, it may just be my game of the year.

Playing with groups of family at Christmas was an absolute blast.

Hiltz

A tempting offer indeed.

I want a black Wii U cause I'm tired of looking at my white Wii, but the fingerprint and dirt appearing on the black Wii U is a bit gross looking. Is the white Wii U just as bad ? The only thing I remember looking at from retailer demo station is the fingerprints all over the touchscreen display. I wanted to pour some Purell on it!

Derrick01

Banned
Was the wii u launch so rough on people that we're pretending a minigame collection is amazing now? Do we need to start testing for post traumatic launch syndrome?

Haunted

I'd rather get all of the extras with the Deluxe edition.
Which extras? 24 more GB, not enough to hold more than a handful of games anyway? The second sensor bar everyone with a Wii already has? I never understood why people think the Deluxe version is that much better if you don't accept the Nintendoland = $50 extra proposition (which is the case for me).

The cradle is about the only thing that's really useful in the deluxe pack.

A tempting offer indeed.

I want a black Wii U cause I'm tiredof white , but the fingerprint and dirt appearing on it more easily is kind of grossing me out. Is the white Wii U nearly as bad ?
An underrated point for OCD people. :p The white gamepad is excellent about fingerprints. Black one is smeared all to hell in a matter of seconds.

Pretty good deal!

Nintendoland seemed like a pretty hard sell as a standalone game (despite its quality). It really seems designed from the ground up as a way to introduce and show off the hardware features, which is instantly obvious once it's in your hands. But as just one game of many sitting on the shelves, it probably doesn't stand out so well. Were there any ads even specifically showing off Nintendoland?

BowieZ

Banned
Serious question, who would buy Nintedoland for $50 by itself?
I paid $68 (AU) and have clocked in over 50 hours, and have played it with 10 other ppl so far; it's involved lots of laughter, smiles and hilariously competitive bastardry. I'm pretty content with the value of that purchase.

KrawlMan

I've played it. I tried all the attractions once. I never want to touch it again.

Unfortunate. I went into it expecting to hate it but found it surprisingly fun. Like any party game it's just OK solo, but with friends / family it's a blast. The worst part of it is the awkward controls/navigation of the hub world, but that is easily remedied by using the menu to choose games instead.

hayguyz

Banned
My brother asked me yesterday, "Is this Wii U a new controller for the Wii, or is it a whole new console?"

I couldn't help but laugh.

Eric C

These are the only ones I ever see in stores. Have yet to actually see a Deluxe.
Yeah, my impression was that the basic sets totally bombed not even the casuals wanted them.

Stores would have piles of basics and I'd hear someone say "We'll just wait until we can find a deluxe." And walk away.

It'd be interesting to know how many each sku sold.

Haunted

Was the wii u launch so rough on people that we're pretending a minigame collection is amazing now? Do we need to start testing for post traumatic launch syndrome?
I heard most people think it's on the same level as Wii Sports if you look "only" at the core games and remove all the surrounding buzz and cultural impact that Wii Sports now carries with it.

That's a pretty good endorsement.

Really should've been a pack-in. An uncharacteristic tactical mistake from Nintendo.

Which extras? 24 more GB, not enough to hold more than a handful of games anyway? The second sensor bar everyone with a Wii already has? I never understood why people think the Deluxe version is that much better.

The cradle is about the only thing that's really useful in the deluxe pack.

I like more things.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.

I don't think there is anything clinically wrong with enjoying a collection of games. However, it is pretty hilarious that you feel the need to reduce those who do to "pretending" and "post traumatic syndrome."

It's pretty revealing.

Top Bottom