• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomba - Wii U Basic with Nintendoland for $300 at Best Buy

No.

Wii Sports Resort is Carnival Games compared to Nintendo Land.

I don't get how people can actually believe this. Are we playing the same game?

Again, I'm not trying to make a case for the Wii U. But I viciously disagree that Nintendo Land should be discount priced. So much absurd fun in groups.

There's not much of a point to getting into a "my opinion is superior to your opinion" back and forth, but just to get my own opinion on the record, I'll state that I've only played Nintendo Land a couple of times in multiplayer sessions, and I'd be just fine if I never played it again. There was some fun to be had, sure. However, nothing really resonated with me as being anything more than a mildly entertaining diversion to demonstrate what the GamePad might be capable of when implemented in a full product.

But, of course, different strokes and all.

Was the wii u launch so rough on people that we're pretending a minigame collection is amazing now? Do we need to start testing for post traumatic launch syndrome?

There are 2 Nintendoland (OT, and Nintendo's return to hardcore arcade) that have overwhelmingly positive reactions. I didn't get the impression anyone is pretending.

These are the only ones I ever see in stores. Have yet to actually see a Deluxe.

I'm happy with my Basic though.

As I posted in a Media Create thread, I think Nintendo greatly misjudged, if down right screwed up, their marketing analysis of the two units.

Most launch units go to the hardcore fans, who are knowledgable and know each SKUs "value proposition."

At the current price points, the Deluxe's value proposition just down right exceeds the basic SKU by a huge amount.

The other arguement is Nintendo wanted the Deluxe to be scarce, but then that doesn't make sense because they have a massive supply of basic clogging the supply channels.

Bottomline, they shouldve made a lot more Deluxe SKUs in comparison to the Basic SKUs.

Eric C

Which extras? 24 more GB, not enough to hold more than a handful of games anyway? The second sensor bar everyone with a Wii already has? I never understood why people think the Deluxe version is that much better if you don't accept the Nintendoland = $50 extra proposition (which is the case for me).

The cradle is about the only thing that's really useful in the deluxe pack.

I prefer black, and wanted the 10% rebates for digital purchases.

I sold my sealed NintendoLand to someone from craigslist.

SpokkX

My brother asked me yesterday, "Is this Wii U a new controller for the Wii, or is it a whole new console?"

I couldn't help but laugh.

I have also gotten this question

WiiU is a terrible name, just like 3ds. People think it is some kind of minor upgrade, not a new console

Oddduck

As I posted in a Media Create thread, I think Nintendo greatly misjudged, if down right screwed up, their marketing analysis of the two units.

Most launch units go to the hardcore fans, who are knowledgable and know each SKUs "value proposition."

At the current price points, the Deluxe's value proposition just down right exceeds the basic SKU by a huge amount.

The other arguement is Nintendo wanted the Deluxe to be scarce, but then that doesn't make sense because they have a massive supply of basic clogging the supply channels.

Bottomline, they shouldve made a lot more Deluxe SKUs in comparison to the Basic SKUs.

The price for the basic Wii U is the problem. If a person is ready to spend over $300 on videogames, most likely that people will be willing to spend the extra $50 to get the better Wii U sku.

Wii U basic sku needs to drop to $250.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
There's not much of a point to getting into a "my opinion is superior to your opinion" back and forth, but just to get my own opinion on the record, I'll state that I've only played Nintendo Land a couple of times in multiplayer sessions, and I'd be just fine if I never played it again. There was some fun to be had, sure. However, nothing really resonated with me as being anything more than a mildly entertaining diversion to demonstrate what the GamePad might be capable of when implemented in a full product.

But, of course, different strokes and all.

I don't think there is a point getting into an opinion battle as well.

However, your experience is not of an equal level to those who have spent extended time with the game learning the depth each game offers.

For instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwFPwhnMWiE

The game designers made these things possible, and to reduce it to a "mildly entertaining diversion" is a disservice to those who have spent time getting to know the intricacies of each game.

Scotch

IF I actually wanted a Wii U, the white one is the one I'd get. The black one is such a fingerprint magnet. It looks disgusting as soon as you take it out of the box.

HardRojo

If anything this is indication that the Basic set is having a hard time selling, in fact anyone who's interested in the Wii U would probably lean towards the Delux model since it brings way more stuff for that $50 difference. (And it comes in black!)

The price for the basic Wii U is the problem. If a person is ready to spend over $300 on videogames, most likely that people will be willing to spend the extra $50 to get the better Wii U sku.

Wii U basic sku needs to drop to $250.

Yes that is the other side of the coin. Basically they need a larger price differentiation between the two units or the Deluxe will continue to see the larger share of demand for the next several months.

Yeah, not bundling Nintendoland in with the Basic bundle was a cock-up. The Deluxe is simply better value, hence why the Basics weren't selling. Nintendo should either start bundling Nintendoland with the Basic package or discontinue it.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Saw this earlier as I was ordering a deluxe. I still want black, a cradle and the pittance of an online discount (since im a DD whore) so i decided to stick with the deluxe.

But nintendo/best buy/whoever didn't make that choice particularly easy for me.

You do realize that the extra 24GB is nothing for storage. You could have bought a cheap external HDD for the 60 bucks and been good to go.

netBuff

However, your experience is not of an equal level to those who have spent extended time with the game learning the depth each game offers.

The game designers made these things possible, and to reduce it to a "mildly entertaining diversion" is a disservice to those who have spent time getting to know the intricacies of each game.

His experience is certainly as valid as what some random YouTube person thinks. Who cares if someone's feelings are hurt because I and other people don't think the game he spent an extreme amount of time mastering is much good?

Nintendo Land just isn't anything I am able to play repeatedly, it gets tiring even in group sessions due to the simplistic nature of the games and is pretty much worthless playing alone.

It has some very challenging mini games in it and if you like a challenge in the old school arcade sense, you will enjoy Nintendo Land.

Many flash games are more complex than most Arcade titles ever where - there's a reason Aracde cabinets died out (availability of better games that are more easily accessed)

FroJay

Banned
The basic should be phased out. Just offer the deluxe in black and white and be done with it. I really enjoy using the Wii U, but I'm still trying to understand how Nintendo could make so many major mistakes and not think the Wii U would be a disaster. It boggles my mind, and it's too bad because I really enjoy the new controller.

Nibel

Was the wii u launch so rough on people that we're pretending a minigame collection is amazing now?

Do you own a Wii U? You never even played it, did you?

Of course you didn't. Because you have such a good and remarkable taste when it comes to games. Ugh.

It's pretty dumb from me to even quote this post

Huh. Wii U is suddenly at a price that I consider within reasonable purchase range for a new console. This is part of the 3-day sale, right, not some sort of thing that's going to stay available?

How are the third-party charging stands? I notice that they're pretty inexpensive, but has anybody used one other than the stand that Nintendo sells?

I think it's fantastic if some people out there really like the games in Nintendo Land. Honestly, it's super. However, I'm not sure if pointing towards the existence of people looking to master a game is in and of itself any sort of an indicator of a game's quality. I'm not suggesting that it means nothing. However, I don't know if I necessarily agree with your point.

As a for instance -- and let me preface this by saying that I'm not suggesting that Nintendo Land is this shallow -- I once wasted an entire day trying to master some simple Flash Putt Putt game striving for the perfect 18. After hours, I had gotten to the point where I could hole-in-one every hole but 2 with ease. A couple of hours later, I knew what I had to do for those two other tricky holes. And finally, after about 8 hours, I did it! The perfect 18!

That story indicates that I had some fun with the game, and that there was definitely some skill involved in mastering it and memorizing the power/trajectory in shot-making. But I don't necessarily think it undermines anybody who doesn't think that there's a lot of meat there. And I think that's how I feel about Nintendo Land.

The existence of a neverending battle for the Donkey Kong high score doesn't have me convinced that it's a great, deep game to this day deserving of countless hours of practice to become the next Billy Mitchell or Steve Wiebbe or whoever has the record. As such, if something like that released today, I wouldn't be convinced that it was a great game.

I was such a skeptic over NintendoLand but after playing it for hours and hours I really adore it. I think it has all the charm lacking from Wii Sports and is easily the best game among the Wii U launch. I also think its a much better game than Wii Sports was. It might not have the hype that accompanies a new experience like Wii Sports does but when that feeling inevitably fades your left with a far better game.

Davey Cakes

This isn't surprising. For anyone who wanted Nintendo Land (the Wii U's flagship title), the Deluxe edition was a huge value. The thought of going basic never went through my mind.

And yeah, Nintendo Land is a fantastic game. If you're into arcade-like experiences and social gaming (especially if you have enough friends to hit the 5-player point), the game pays for itself even at full price. Considering this, getting it as part of the Deluxe bundle was really sweet.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Was the wii u launch so rough on people that we're pretending a minigame collection is amazing now? Do we need to start testing for post traumatic launch syndrome?
Go ahead and tell us how you really feel about people having fun with something you don't understand.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Should have launched with a single SKU, but in gray.

Many flash games are more complex than most Arcade titles ever where - there's a reason Aracde cabinets died out (availability of better games that are more easily accessed)
Wrong. The vast majority of those flash games are shallow as hell, it's just that most people looking for a quick diversion don't really care. It's rare that smaller scale games like this have the depth that many of them do in Nintendo Land. It's all about the refinement of the gameplay mechanics. If some people can't appreciate that and want to just beat up Osama Bin Laden in some shitty flash game instead, more power to them.

Guys, let's get one thing straight.

Nintendoland will never be Wii Sports. Wii Sports featured a simplicity and elegance that is just not possible with Nintendoland and its games and control method. Wii Sports had next to zero learning curve.

That said, Nintendoland is an amazing proof of concept for the system and a system seller in itself. It is a fantastic game, and both a great homage to Nintendo's legacy as well as a fun and challenging collection of games. It will never sell in the manner that Wii Sports did, and will never sell the Wii U in the manner Wii sports sold the Wii.

Fugu

It is fallacious to assume that the amount of time played is a relevant statistic past a certain point. This is partly due to the fact that consistency of the experience from new players to experienced players IS relevant to the subjective analysis of a game, but it's mostly due to the fact that there is an obvious selection bias when considering only the players who have played the game extensively: If a review considered only those who have played the game dozens of hours, every game would get glowing (or nonsensically technical) reviews, as nobody would stick with a game that they didn't like for any longer than they had to.

For a game like Nintendoland, the point in time at which experience stops mattering is roughly a function of its learning curve, which is to say that your opinion is unlikely to evolve after the first couple of hours of playing the game.

As for its price point, a party game -- no matter how good -- is still a party game, and Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot by not packaging it with the console where it can be used as a marketing tool.

netBuff

How does Nintendoland compare to the Kinect Sports game? As much fun? Better? Thinking about a purchase.

It's not even close, Kinect Sports is pretty much terrible in all ways while Nintendo Land is (as much as I criticise it for not being all that deep and engaging) still charming and can be great fun.

kirblar

There wasn't enough of a price difference between the basic and deluxe models to make people opt to not get the Deluxe model. Name's still the biggest issue by a mile, though. Should have just been "Wii 2".

Guys, let's get one thing straight.

Nintendoland will never be Wii Sports. Wii Sports featured a simplicity and elegance that is just not possible with Nintendoland and its games and control method. Wii Sports had next to zero learning curve.

That said, Nintendoland is an amazing proof of concept for the system and a system seller in itself. It is a fantastic game, and both a great homage to Nintendo's legacy as well as a fun and challenging collection of games. It will never sell in the manner that Wii Sports did, and will never sell the Wii U in the manner Wii sports sold the Wii.

I disagree. We played Wii Sports obsessively among my family for a solid month after it came out but when the novelty wore off it wore off hard and it became the party game you play when a whole bunch of people come over and you don't know what else to do. NintendoLand might not have the advantage of being a completely new experience but its a much better game. Me and my wife love booting it up and their is something distinctly more Nintendo about it. It might be because of my nostalgia for classic arcade and classic Nintendo but I love it.

I disagree. We played Wii Sports obsessively among my family for a solid month after it came out but when the novelty wore off it wore off hard and it became the party game you play when a whole bunch of people come over and you don't know what else to do. NintendoLand might not have the advantage of being a completely new experience but its a much better game. Me and my wife love booting it up and their is something distinctly more Nintendo about it. It might be because of my nostalgia for classic arcade and classic Nintendo but I love it.

Uh, what are you disagreeing with exactly?

Uh, what are you disagreeing with exactly?

Ha I just read my post and it doesn't sound clear at all. I meant that a couple months from now I think people will hold NintendoLand in higher regard even though it won't have nearly the social impact of Wii Sports. So I guess I don't disagree really at all

1-D_FTW

Which is a huge distinction. Because the masses who loved Wii Sports and made it a phenomenon weren't exactly core gamers with nostalgia for Nintendo of past.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm not so sure the basic is the problem. I was just at a best buy and it's all deluxe.

39YRv.jpg

Hero

Wow at that video.

Looks like I sold my Wii U just in time. Didn't want to, but I was dead broke after the holidays and needed the cash. So hopefully by the time I'm able to re-buy it the price will be discounted and Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 are out. I had the deluxe originally and it wasn't worth the extra $50 in my opinion, so when I jump back in I'm getting the basic if it is still available.

Top Bottom