• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light is $0.01 At Best Buy, possible pricing error.

The 1 cent transaction is being processed, according to my online bank account. Might be a good sign. They'll probably do all they can to get this order canceled, though. I don't expect it to actually go through.

LegoDad

I ordered two within 1 min and 15 order numbers. My 2nd one was cancelled, but my first is still alive an hour after cancellation email. No way it takes that long. I still believe!!

they finally took my penny but the order is still processing.

just hurry up and do SOMETHING Best Buy I can't deal with all the waiting.

Kevin

Anyone got an extra key for trade? Will trade the Alan Wake complete pack with American Nightmare if interested. Send me a PM.

Seik

Banned
Meh, I missed it. :(

Anyone bought a lot of copies so they can give one to me for money, well, without screwing me too much.

Because you know...1 cent mofo.

Jafku

2 of my 3 orders have been cancelled :(
In fact the first order i made has not been cancelled yet. Imade that order at 9:40 pm est

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
All 4 of mine are still in processing.

HbGlfAd.jpg

Seiru

Banned
Taking advantage of an error in Best Buy's system is paying for the game?

What if a brick and mortar Best Buy accidentally left a crate full of games out back behind the store and I swiped one, does that count as paying for the game?

What if a brick and mortar Best Buy accidentally left a crate full of games out back behind the store and I swiped one, does that count as paying for the game?

Not if they were marked 1¢ and you paid them the penny and walked out with them. Theft, how does it work?

Seiru

Banned
Sorry if it seems like I'm just trolling, threads like these just irk me a bit. Nobody seems to see anything unethical with taking advantage of errors like this, when it's very clearly wrong.

Sorry if it seems like I'm just trolling, threads like these just irk me a bit. Nobody seems to see anything unethical with taking advantage of errors like this, when it's very clearly wrong.

I think to most of us, the game is finding deals like this in itself. Should we have just informed Best Buy of it, and moved on? Perhaps, but where's the fun in that?

My first order is still in processing, the last 2 are cancelled. As I said before, if I get one, great... just going to give it away anyways cause I'm not a fan.

Salsa

yeah, those scenarios are identical

yeah, those scenarios are identical

I wouldn't say those are identical... unless they had a sign saying "Free to a good home on them."

The real comparison would be if they have mispriced an item on the shelf... I've had that happen, and yes I took advantage of it. "Sir, this isn't ringing up for 9.99, it's 29.99" "Not according to the price on the shelf." Had to lead some clerks to the shelves to point it out, but they are legally obligated to give you the price they show (in the US at least)

I wouldn't say those are identical... unless they had a sign saying "Free to a good home on them."

The real comparison would be if they have mispriced an item on the shelf... I've had that happen, and yes I took advantage of it. "Sir, this isn't ringing up for 9.99, it's 29.99" "Not according to the price on the shelf." Had to lead some clerks to the shelves to point it out, but they are legally obligated to give you the price they show (in the US at least)
They are not. If they refuse to sell it at the marked price, you have the right then to not buy it.

They are not. If they refuse to sell it at the marked price, you have the right then to not buy it.

No, they have to sell it at the price listed... It's illegal to not sell it at the marked price. Doing so would leave a loophole for bait and switch, which is also illegal in the US. You can't display a price tag on something and then tell someone it's not that price and if you don't like it you don't have to buy it.

Jomjom

Banned

You are right, the law actually (in California anyway, and I'm pretty sure in every other state as well) is that price mistakes do not have to be honored. It is completely discretionary whether stores want to honor it or not.

This is differentiated from a car dealership saying only "1 car at the low low price of $_____". That they would have to honor, but they would only have to have one, which people generally just call the old bait and switch for everyone who comes after the first lucky buyer.

No, they have to sell it at the price listed... It's illegal to not sell it at the marked price. Doing so would leave a loophole for bait and switch, which is also illegal in the US. You can't display a price tag on something and then tell someone it's not that price and if you don't like it you don't have to buy it.

You are half-right. If they purposely marked it at a price that was lower to get people in the store, then yes, they would have to honor it. Here we are talking about a game that's normally $59.99 priced at $.01 where people could essentially buy infinite copies and could do so from the comfort of essentially anywhere where they had a computer or smartphone. No court in the country would rule that this was not a mistake.

Top Bottom