• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni is $20 at Best Buy

Great, just bought another JRPG that I'll put a couple of hours in and never get around to finishing because of the time investment. I think this is like number twenty-three.

I'm really liking the game a lot. Bought the Wizard's Edition when it came out but only started playing it as of last week. I spent about 5 hours or so yesterday. I like the game so much that I imported the DS game too! (It's in Japanese though)

I love the visuals and the gameplay is fun. The story seems ok so far. Although I heard it picks up and gets better later in the game. In any case, its great for fans of classic JRPGs.

Also, for all those fearing grinding, I literally only had to grind towards the very finale (2nd to last boss fight) and even then there is a specific method of grinding via killing Totoro looking monsters that nets you ridiculous exp (like i leveled up 20 times in 2 hrs). Its a relatively easy game but spikes sporadically in difficulty when fighting bosses.

KrawlMan

Damn and I payed $60 in January... I should have waited.

I totally understand the desire to save money, but I honestly felt the game was easily worth $60 and was happy to support it/pay full price.

To everybody else, buy it! Although it's not without its own problems (a bit cliche in structure), the game's was fantastically well put together (also <3 Ghibli art)

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I found it quite boring. It's a nice looking game though. Probably the best thing in the game is the inventory item art. Maybe the best out of any jRPG.

Should have just been an anime, I got like 15 hours in and nothing was happening and I was still getting tutorials.

RPGCrazied

Lovely game. Got the steelbook with it. I just wish it was voiced just a tad bit more. At the halfway point or so it felt like they used all of their budget or something.

the game sucks, nothing to be surprised about

I agree that my (low) expectations were not met but there are a decent amount of dungeons.Sure there are the traditional forest and lava and castle etc but they are all look nice with a few branching paths. Also the world map is really nice to explore, especially after you upgraded with the umm i forget (good deeds thingy).
I debating whether I should get this or WKC 2?

WKC is the worst level5 / Sony game. never played two but did not hear good review about that game. Avoid.

RPGCrazied

Didn't the servers get shut down in the WKC games? Sure they have a story mode, but you wouldn't be able to do any of the group stuff.

I'd still get this over that though. It doesn't suck, I'd probably give it a 7.5/10.

Scanna

So is this only online or even in store? I am in the USA for another week or so, if I can find one, I'll buy it and play it on my PAL PS3 back home...

FireCloud

I debating whether I should get this or WKC 2?

I really liked WKC1 but haven't gotten very far into WKC2.

I am playing Ni no Kuni now and having a blast. Though I don't mind grinding. If you played WKC1 the level progression will fill very similar to you. The first time you go into a new are most of the monsters are at a higher level than you. However, after some leveling they will run from you.

If I had to choose, I'd choose Ni no Kuni; especially if you are a Studio Ghibli fan.

I'm still bitter over losing my Wizard Edition and I didn't like what I played of the first part of the game through my GameFly rental....

Should I bite the bullet?

Sadly, unless I plunk down another $200+ I will never be able to play the copy I own. My PS3 Bluray drive was destroyed by my son and now I have a backlog of disc-based games still in their wrapping.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Weird.... the game is only available online if I send it to a store? Earlier it was available at a bunch of stores... now it's showing unavailable nearly everywhere.

Hope it's just a bug...

Cheddahz

Banned
I'll wait till the MSRP is $20 to be honest, I bought it at full price and didn't care for the battle system and traded it for a copy of Metal Gear Rising and I loved it

I would give Ni no Kuni another try at the moment, I just don't have the money right now

Exentryk

Very close to platinuming it. Beautiful game.

It is what I was expecting from a HD Final Fantasy, with a world map, HD towns and shops :p, "modes of transport" and gorgeous art. The story is a bit simple though, but the above "JRPG comfort food" makes up for it.

Definitely worth playing once if you're a JRPG fan.

smr00

Banned
I have $10 in reward zone space bucks so i cant not buy this at $10.

Luckily my store has this in stock.

carlo6529

I paid double that 4 weeks ago; definitely worth it at that price.

Grabbed one. Time to see what all the fuss is about!

I'm nearing the end of the game now. I think the game is beautiful, I love the old school open world and feel of the game.

That being said, it's not the most fun game in the world. There is a lot of pointless filler that doesn't really contribute to the game experience and your hand is held through out the whole game eliminating any sort exploration challenge.

Futureman

how is this game if I've never played an RPG? I mean I've played some RPG-like games like Demon Souls...

and I love LOVE Ghibli.

Bladenic

One of the best console JRPGs of the generation, certainly one of the best JRPGs this year too. Probably Level-5's best RPG too (though frankly that's not saying much compared to their other shit).

smr00

Banned
Wish it was available for shipping.
When i first saw that i thought "OH NO!" because my Best Buy NEVER has any games like this in stock. Luckily the best buy across town does. Yeah, it's a 20 minutes drive but totally worth it. Besides, there is a steak n shake by it and i can go for a shake and a burger.

Crayons

Banned
When i first saw that i thought "OH NO!" because my Best Buy NEVER has any games like this in stock. Luckily the best buy across town does. Yeah, it's a 20 minutes drive but totally worth it. Besides, there is a steak n shake by it and i can go for a shake and a burger.

They're never available near me. The closest one available is in Brooklyn which is like at least a good hour and twenty minutes away. Not worth it.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm very tempted by this, but I just got my first big boy job and I already have a few games that I'd like to play in my backlog. Would love to play it though...argghhh.

Top Bottom