• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sigma Harmonics first info

soul

This week's Famitsu has first info on the much discussed Square Enix trademark:

- DS title
- scheduled for release this summer.
- Hiroki Chiba is directing (DoC: FFVII)
- Yusaku Nakaaki is doing the character designs (DoC FFVII's subcharcter and mechanics designer)
- Kitase is producing
- It's an Adventure RPG
- You hold the DS sideways like a book
- 60% complete
- Persona 4-style story, there seems to be a murder/mystery story.
- RPG elements (level up by experience gained from battles, etc)
- Divided to chapters, in every chapter a new murder/accident/mystery happens.

thanks - duckroll and Zanasea

duckroll

- Yusaku Nakaaki is doing the character designs (DoC FFVII's subcharcter and mechanics designer)
- Kitase is producing
- It's an Adventure RPG

Next time, try not to start a thread until there's actually information. It's a bad habit. :p

soul

duckroll said:
- Kitase is producing
- It's an Adventure RPG

Next time, try not to start a thread until there's actually information. It's a bad habit. :p

;-)

thanks for the extra info.

ethelred

I wonder who's making it. The character designs and style look interesting, I guess.

Zanasea said:
Hiroki Chiba is directing... he was event planner for Dirge of Cerberus.

Yeah. Scenario and event director for Dirge of Cerberus, event director for FFVIII, and one of three event planners for Chrono Trigger.

soul

- 60% complete
- Persona 4-style story, there seems to be a murder/mystery story.
- RPG elements (level up by experience gained from battles, etc)
- Divided to chapters, in every chapter a new murder/accident/mystery happens.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The clean scans look nice, it the combat system seems to use cards?

*sees thousands writing it off already because of that*

JadedOne

More in depth information on the game from RPGFan.

Square Enix today announced Sigma Harmonics, a DS-based adventure title with RPG elements. The key members of the development team behind the game have previously worked on Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII. Yoshinori Kitase is serving as producer, while Hiroki Chiba and Yuusaku Nakaaki are acting as director and character designer, respectively. Originally the developers had aimed to re-create Japan of the good old days, but eventually ended up with a completely different setting. The game now takes place in a parallel world different from actual Japan.
Sigma Harmonics' protagonist Sigma and his partner Neon have to solve riddles in a quest to save their world. Somebody has destroyed this world by re-writing its past. During their search for answers, they will encounter enemies who have to be defeated in battle. Players will gain experience points and thereby grow their characters pretty much like in an RPG. The monsters faced by the player live in time intervals. Their presence exceeds time and space, as they are said to inflict harm on people of various ages. In fact, only Neon is capable of fighting these creatures, hence Sigma is standing back and giving instructions to his partner. By playing music, Sigma is determining the way Neon and the god residing within his body fight.

As for solving the game's mysteries, there are no right or wrong answers in Sigma Harmonics, only answers which are close or not so close to the truth. The game is currently 60% complete.

Sigma Harmonics will be available in Japan sometime this summer.

jj984jj said:
The clean scans look nice, it the combat system seems to use cards?

*sees thousands writing it off already because of that*

When I saw the cards I began to wonder if this is the kinda battle system they're going to use in FFXIII the um...cell phone game one. Hmm... is it just me or is it taking SE a long time to release the cellphone games they're working on? I'm hoping they just decided to stop working on cellphone games...but I'm pretty sure they're just waiting for there new studio for cellphone games to open. :(

Anyways gonna keep my eye on this. It looks pretty nice. Won't like the fact that the people who did Dirge are working on this since it isn't a shooter game or spin-off. So maybe thing will end up better.

Sigma is determining the way Neon and the god residing within his body fight.

So wait, which one is Sigma again? The guy or the girl?

Also, I looked at the screens, but couldn't find any that looked like what could be a battle sequence to me.

ethelred

Yeah, this is sounding pretty cool from the plot description, and the visuals look nice. I'd like to hear a little more about the battle system though, and I'm curious about the comment that music plays a role in that -- but it makes me glad they got an awesome composer (yay Hamauzu!).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
duckroll said:
- Kitase is producing
- It's an Adventure RPG

This post by itself is the #1 search result for "Sigma Harmonics"

Somehow I knew it was going to be duckroll

M3d10n

Flipside + prerendered backdrops remembers me of Ninja Gaiden. Good to finally see more games using such style, it worked perfectly (flipside is also the best way to hold the DS single-handed).

BTW, the visuals really have a megaten feeling to them.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm OK with new SE properties!! Hope it turns out good, since it sounds damn interesting.

ethelred

1up had some additional info that I hadn't seen passed on yet:

1up said:
The story in Sigma Harmonics begins when some mysterious figure rewrites the past. As a result, present-day Tokyo suddenly turns into a city of ruins. Main character Sigma Kurokami and partner Neon Tsukiyumi must solve several murder mysteries in the past to bring everything back to normal.

The art design of the game is inspired by the Showa era of Japan in the 1950s and 1960s. The game is divided into chapters where players will solve murder incidents, collecting Sound Stones (which resemble stones used in playing Go, a traditional Japanese board game pictured above). Each stone represents a clue and can be placed on a Go-like board where different placements will provide players with different hints. As you unravel the mystery, players will also battle enemies in traditional RPG style, including leveling up and earning special card items to be used in battle.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not too keen on the design of the female. She's be better off without the ridiculous kitty cap. But the main guy and that one cityscape shot give me strange Valkyrie Profile vibes. Dude kinda reminds me of Lezard, actually!

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Graphics and artstyle are really nice. Gameplay's very interesting as well. The use of pieces on a board to get "clues" for mysteries and the use of music in battle (must be major for "harmonics" to be in the title), are great ideas.

Eteric Rice

WAIT A MINUTE.

Am I the only one that noticed something? Nomura made a DS game... And now Kitase is making one? The same Kitase who supposedly "hates" Nintendo?

Wat.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The game apparently was inspired by the board game clue. (the "pictured" board game was the Japanese version of Clue.)

ethelred

Eteric Rice said:
WAIT A MINUTE.

Am I the only one that noticed something? Nomura made a DS game... And now Kitase is making one? The same Kitase who supposedly "hates" Nintendo?

Wat.

Kitase is already "making" the same game that Nomura is -- Kitase's a producer on the Kingdom Hearts series (and therefore KH: 179), just as he's producing Sigma Harmonics.

ethelred

Famitsu put up some direct feed screens:

EkYvmcPmY.jpg
yGalteDSX.jpg

NGTHTjtoi.jpg
gwFGxaSXe.jpg

fqjDqZPtB.jpg
FDqLsZCkn.jpg

There's also a video, though it's mostly just the creators talking.

I'm already tentatively interested in any new IP that Square-Enix churns out on the DS, just out of interest in supporting such things, but the inclusion of the heavenly Hamauzu makes this a must-have for me.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Seeing as how I am actually interested in this title I doubt any chance of localization...

does S-E ever translate their obscure stuff?

botticus

lsslave said:
Seeing as how I am actually interested in this title I doubt any chance of localization...

You mean like It's a Wonderful World/The World Ends With You?

C.T.

lsslave said:

Subarashiki kono Sekai (The World ends with you) is reaaallly japanese...

Teasel

you know it's nice to see the "let's do the everything we fucking want" square instead of the "let's milk final fantasy 7 like the fat cow is it" one

soul

Teasel said:
you know it's nice to see the "let's do the everything we fucking want" square instead of the "let's milk final fantasy 7 like the fat cow is it" one

agreed. I want more unique projects from them, but I am guessing we won't see one for a while until their main titles are released.

Top Bottom